Keeping Unlimited Data?

Search This thread

LBJM

Feb 3, 2011
And where are these old sims? Like I asked a few pages back, what older phones (like my Droid X) have them? I thought Verizon never had such things because it wasn't GSM.

All Verizon 4g lte phones use sim cards. The 3g non-lte phones don't. The earlier 4g phones used larger sim cards than the current models do.

oinop

Jan 23, 2013
I just spoke with a rep to see if I could read the terms and conditions regarding losing unlimited data when you use your upgrade that has unlimited data. She said (after about an hour or so of her digging for the information) , along with the terms and conditions, that the change from unlimited data to a 2gb plan happens when you activate that specific device on your line with unlimited data. So all you have to do is get the phone at the subsidized price, sell it for 650-680 on ebay/craigslist/swappa then buy the phone for full retail. Boom, you have kept your unlimited data :D this has to do with the esn that is specific to the device tied in with your upgrade being activated on your line with unlimited data.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Does anyone have an experience with this? If this is true, then people don't even need to get a second line. They can simply say they are upgrading their line, then when they get the phone, they can sell it and buy a new phone at full retail and activate it to keep the unlimited.

Character Zero

Aug 22, 2010
I just spoke with a rep to see if I could read the terms and conditions regarding losing unlimited data when you use your upgrade that has unlimited data. She said (after about an hour or so of her digging for the information) , along with the terms and conditions, that the change from unlimited data to a 2gb plan happens when you activate that specific device on your line with unlimited data. So all you have to do is get the phone at the subsidized price, sell it for 650-680 on ebay/craigslist/swappa then buy the phone for full retail. Boom, you have kept your unlimited data this has to do with the esn that is specific to the device tied in with your upgrade being activated on your line with unlimited data.

So how does that work? Every time I have used an upgrade they put it on my account right then and I have to sign a new contract and all that. I mean when you use the upgrade you have to re-up on the contract so I am not sure how this works.

1ManWolfePack

Jul 11, 2012
Why are we talking about this in a public forum? This is how loopholes get closed. This thread should be trashed and taken to PMs.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

geoff5093

Jun 13, 2011
So how does that work? Every time I have used an upgrade they put it on my account right then and I have to sign a new contract and all that. I mean when you use the upgrade you have to re-up on the contract so I am not sure how this works.
You would have to buy it online I assume, where it doesn't come activated. I am interesting to hear if anyone has done this though.

wifidelic

Jan 11, 2013
You would have to buy it online I assume, where it doesn't come activated. I am interesting to hear if anyone has done this though.

I wouldnt because I would worry about waking up to a 2GB plan. Its pretty clear that upgrades end unlimited data, and I wouldnt put myself in the position of hoping Verizon didnt catch a mistake, because once the catch it they will audit for anyone who has done it. I hate some of the things Verizon does but if they are going to honor my grandfathered plan I am going to honor their one condition. Lets face it, legally they can change anything at any time and all you would get is a chance to get out of whatever contract you are in. Verizon deserves a lot of credit for honoring these plans. It is the biggest reason Im not with sprint right now, and yes bigger than covetage and network speed issues.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Character Zero

Aug 22, 2010
I wonder if Verizon isn't waiting until next summer since that is 2 years since the killing of upgrades on unlimited accounts. At that time no one with unlimited data will have a contract so then I guess with no contract they can do whatever they want. All the customer can do is leave and I wonder really what percentage would leave over that?

Blhazed

May 3, 2011
I paid full price to keep unlimited data. I used to have a thunderbolt but now that I have this phone, I use far more data. Glad I have unlimited

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
I wonder if Verizon isn't waiting until next summer since that is 2 years since the killing of upgrades on unlimited accounts. At that time no one with unlimited data will have a contract so then I guess with no contract they can do whatever they want. All the customer can do is leave and I wonder really what percentage would leave over that?

I have a Note 2 and still have over 23 months left on my contract with unlimited data

wifidelic

Jan 11, 2013
I have a Note 2 and still have over 23 months left on my contract with unlimited data

A contract doesnt mean they wont end your data man, it just means they dont hold you to that contract if they end it. If verizon changes a contract all you get is the option to leave without etf which is the same option off contract customers already have.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

I dont think they will end it until an upgrade cycle somewhere down the line at the earliest...and they may let the plans dwindle away on their own. The way I see the math working out is that if they end it they lose some fraction of customers who want unlimited and see sprint or tmobile as viable options. The extra money they get from the residual who stay (lower data fraction) doesnt compensate for the decreased customer base formerly paying $500 extra or so per upgrade and the bad PR from kiling a gradfathered plan. The only way it should come to a head is if their network is strained, and they already throttle the top 5% to avoid that.

eraursls1984

Sep 8, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
A contract doesnt mean they wont end your data man, it just means they dont hold you to that contract if they end it. If verizon changes a contract all you get is the option to leave without etf which is the same option off contract customers already have.

I was just pointing out that some of us are still under contracts with unlimited data that go beyond 2 years past the day the unlimited plans died.

i3oost

Jan 11, 2013
Do you think the Galaxy Note 2 is worth giving up unlimited data? I can only imagine how much data I would be using with this phone. I could imagine being limited. I couldn't see myself paying ful price to keep unlimited data going. Sprint nor Tmobile have LTE in my area.

Has anyone found a way around being pushed into the upgrade? I also found it obnoxious that they are charging a $30 upgrade fee and giving me a $50 upgrade discount at the same time lol.

I posted a thread on how to get around the unlimited data removal when I upgraded to my note 2.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wish there was a way to keep the plan. It's crazy they try to force you off.

My replacement Fascinate is defective with the constant reboots and overheating while charging. I was going to replace under warranty but I dropped it and the screen cracked which they have already tried to blame that for the problems. Assurion wants 99 bucks for a replacement. They keep telling me that my data usage is low. Yeah, my phone dies in 4 hours and crashes most when I use my web browsers.

Prior to that I was using 3-6 gigs a month. LTE + 2gb a month is like getting a Lambo to drive only in a parking garage.
    I'm likely buying the phone outright and keeping the unlimited data. Even my wife doesn't want me to give up the unlimited data.
    It isn't the same prompt. That one you got I think is only for upgrading/new lines, but the actual part about unlimited to shared data I think is part of the agreement in the terms & conditions you 'sign' while getting the contract price. I would expect it to change automatically later and not instantly. In other words, I think you just lost your unlimited data.

In other words, I think you lost your data package.

No, the day before I tried ordering the phone at full price and it kept prompting me to change my data plan. Today it didn't prompt me for full retail, so I tried the upgrade, and that didn't prompt either. So, the contract I signed is to keep my features as is.

edit: spelling
    As soon as you get the phone just call verzion from the phone with no data and tell them you want to swap the phones.

You may just need to swap out the sim cards but you can ask the rep when you call.

I used to do this all the time when to get cell phone sales.

BTW why don't you just do a buddy upgrade? Your roommate will still lose his unlimited data but it is less of a hassle.

I have 3 total lines - 2 with unlimited data and a 3rd with w/o a data plan. Fortunately, the 2 secondary lines are eligible for upgrade, but my primary line is not (nor would I upgrade on it and lose my unlimited data). So I placed my pre-order for one of the secondary lines, knowing that I will lose unlimited data on that line (my roommates who uses less than 1 GB a month and isn't interested in having new phones). After activating the Note 2 on his line I will then have is switched over to me, giving him my Galaxy Nexus and selling his Thunderbolt. Win-Win! :highfive:

I do have two question though...

1) Do I have to leave the Note 2 activated on the secondary line for a specific amount of time before switching it over to me, or I can activate it and then wait 5 minutes to switch it over to me?

2) Also, is it just as simple as switching out our SIM cards as we both currently have 4G phones?
    cant you transfer the upgrade to a different line then just switch phones? Without messing up the plans?

I only have 1 line though. I don't think it's worth a 2 year plan just to get unlimited data. I just as well buy phone straight up.