[Q] Power/Shutdown Menu Randomly popping up

Search This thread

rabatinova

Aug 20, 2010
Prague
My samsung galaxy i9300 has been working great for a year and suddenly started to act funny.
One day it works without any problem, then from nowhere, phone lying on the table and the power/shutdown menu starts randomly appearing and popping up, like I would want to turn the phone off or restart it. And Im not even touching it.

I tried many different ROMs, official, custom, I took it to the samsung service and they changed the power button.

I tried different batteries, chargers, switched the main board to different s3 phone, but it still, once in a while, does that popping up power off menu thing.

If I let the menu appear for a certain period of time and do nothing, the popping up frequency gets higher and higher until it restarts the phone and then ends in bootloop.
Sometimes if I remove the battery for a certain period of time, the phone starts up and works like nothing happened a minute ago. Other times it does not boot up and stays in bootloop.
I figured out that if I continue to push power button in a one second intervals after powering the phone, it continues to boot up and starts up. I enter the PIN code and then the phone either acts again like nothing happened, or starts the popping thing again.
If I keep pushing the power button while the popping up shutdown menu is happening, I kind of cancel the whole thing and phone works okay, ending again either in no problem state and working like a new phone, or restarting itself and bootlooping.
It doen not happend at certain time or while doing any specific activity or while in specific app, or anything, totaly random thing, sometimes during the call, week later during the night, 2 days after in my pocket, 10 hours later while lying on the table.

Thank you for any ideas what could be causing this.

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
Better ask for a new replacement from Samsung.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

badaeng

Jul 6, 2011
I had this exact same issue. It's simply the power button acting funny/getting stuck. Mine got changed and now everything works as it's supposed to again.

Jumaqidi

Dec 3, 2013
I had this exact same issue. It's simply the power button acting funny/getting stuck. Mine got changed and now everything works as it's supposed to again.

He alr said he took it to samsung to ask them to change and they did alr. Unless samsung didnt fix it properly, it shldnt be tat case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app

rabatinova

Aug 20, 2010
Prague
It acts really wierd. Its been working for another 3-4 days, and then yesterday, the issue started again for like 5-10 minutes. Since then, its been okay again. The power button is perfectly fine, I even tried to dissambly the whole phone, power button is not loose at all.
It feels like there is some kind of interuption for a while and it starts the issue. I dont understand much about frequencies, but could any radio frequency or whatever cause such a thing? :confused: