CAR Audio: Listening music through Bluetooth

Search This thread

MattSid

Aug 6, 2010
Berlin
I need to change my Car Stereo and I'm wondering about this solution: instead of using the AUX Connection from the Nexus 5 to the Car Stereo it would be amazing to use a Bluetooth connection.

This could be a good choice? how about the audio quality? I have tryed it with my old HTC Desire and a entry level Car Stereo and the audio quality was awful...

G1ForFun

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 1, 2010
It has gotten much better. I use it in my car regularly with an aftermarket head unit that supports the latest Bluetooth technology. I run speakers and an amp with a sub. I also have an aux cable going to my glove box. For me the difference isn't great enough because I use the Bluetooth and never use the aux cable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

PsychDrummer

Nov 29, 2012
I actually use a bluetooth dongle which I connect to my cassette adapter in the car. Very cheap way of getting bluetooth music. The audio is decent as well.

SomeGuyDude

Jun 7, 2010
throw Viper4Android on there and it's perfect. If you don't root, it'll still be just fine.

howard bamber

Jun 4, 2012
Southport
Bluetooth is the pits I've speakers that are BT or hard wire and there is a world of difference. The speakers are Bose so it's not quality

From my paid for buggy ass XDA app...

400ixl

I have a stereo which sends audio and video over HDMI via a slimport adapter. The later version can also do A2DP audio over bluetooth to be connection free.

It also uses the phone's navigation software, so its never out of date. If you have a rooted N5 then you can basically display your phone and all its functionality through the HU. Have a look at the Pioneer AppRadio's and ARUnchained app on here.

mrro82

Feb 17, 2011
New York
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I have a Bluetooth FM transmitter and it works quite well. Plugs into the cigarette outlet and has a USB port for charging. The sound quality is good. Beats listening to FM radio that's for sure. I got it on amazon for around $30 if I remember correctly.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

josemedina

Jun 23, 2013
I put a clarion double din unit with Bluetooth, in my wife's car. What it lacks in audio quality(it doesn't lack much) it makes up for with the fact that I don't have an extra cable running to the phone/head unit. It really nice to get in and have the two devices automatically link up.

I am obsessive compulsive over tangled cables, or just cables in general so I also enjoy not having to remove plastics from the dash to run a aux cable in a clean manner.

Last edited:

damnmisur

Aug 25, 2011
Windsor
Ford Sync user. I love SOKP ROM for sound. I back down the volume two steps from full on my phone and sound is just as good as any other source.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

dougiefresh181

Sep 18, 2012
i have an alpine ute 42bt bluetooth head unit going to 2 6.5 inch alpine sps 610 mids and an 800 watt amp going to two old alpine type e subs. its not the best setup ever, but i cannot hear any difference between using bluetooth and the aux on mine when i have everything dialed in on the head unit and in viperfx

Gagamonstar

Oct 7, 2012
Munster
pilipowdesigns.com
I use a converter in my room. It worked great , and was cheap. It now doesn't work unless you're really close to it. I just bought a more expensive one. I'm hoping that works good. Either way I like using it.

rbrenart

Jul 26, 2013
It has gotten much better. I use it in my car regularly with an aftermarket head unit that supports the latest Bluetooth technology. I run speakers and an amp with a sub. I also have an aux cable going to my glove box. For me the difference isn't great enough because I use the Bluetooth and never use the aux cable.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

G1 has it right. If you tried in the last couple generations of bluetooth stereos it was pretty mediocre with lots of drop outs. But, personally the stuff from the last couple years is great. And the convenience on new phones that have good enough battery that you can go zero cables for short/medium drives is awesome.

MattSid

Aug 6, 2010
Berlin
Thanks all for your experience sharing, from what I understood there's then no big quality audio problems with Bluetooth.

I'm thinking about to upgrade my old car Stereo with an ONLY Bluetooth receiver, I mean that I want to throw away the entire old head unit and add a Bluetooth receiver that I could plug direct to the ISO 10487 connector. Did someone know a product like this one I'm searching for? :confused:

Liskrig

Mar 17, 2011
Boston
twitter.com
I need to change my Car Stereo and I'm wondering about this solution: instead of using the AUX Connection from the Nexus 5 to the Car Stereo it would be amazing to use a Bluetooth connection.

This could be a good choice? how about the audio quality? I have tryed it with my old HTC Desire and a entry level Car Stereo and the audio quality was awful...

I have a JVC head unit, and I listen to music, podcasts, and navigation through Bluetooth. It's not the best unit either. I've tried it with 4.4, 4.4.2 and 4.4.3 stock, and locked, and as well with unlocked and rooted. With and without ViPER4Android it still sounds good! No distortion, no dropped signal.

Bluetooth streaming is the way to go IMO.

LINK to my crummy head unit.

MattSid

Aug 6, 2010
Berlin
Thanks, but both solutions (car head unit and bluetooth receiver with aux connection) are not what I'm looking for, what I'm looking for is a bluetooth receiver that could be connected directly to the ISO cables of the car, so I could throw away my old car head unit.

jsgraphicart

Nov 25, 2011
OnePlus 7T
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks, but both solutions (car head unit and bluetooth receiver with aux connection) are not what I'm looking for, what I'm looking for is a bluetooth receiver that could be connected directly to the ISO cables of the car, so I could throw away my old car head unit.

I get what you are wanting now. Just today, the same thought popped into my mind because my car stereo is having issues. I thought of bypassing my stereo all together and hooking up that bluetooth adapter directly into the system. But I'm not a stereo guy and havent looked at the connections in my car yet.

I found this but don't know if it would work at all.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-ForTw...2?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4ad5fb8768

EDIT: Never mind. That's for a Smart car or something. lol

Last edited:

MattSid

Aug 6, 2010
Berlin
Yep, what I would do i bypassing the stereo completely. I have all what I need on my Nexus 5, without the Car Head Unit I should no more fear thief and the internal look of the auto will be more cleaner.