[Root][TWRP][FFF][CWM]Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.6 (5/09/12) [First Gen Only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jsmith432

May 23, 2010
For me I was not getting root completely using KFU 0.9.5 with Kindle Fire Brand New with 6.3. I realized that when I tried to install market and I was getting permission denied..
"failed to copy 'apps\system\vending.apk' to '/system/app/vending.apk': Permission denied"

and I tried the manual way with root explorer and I was not getting anywhere (su was not installed).

I checked and the superuser.apk was not on /system/apps

So, to solve this issue:

1) I copied C:\Kindle Fire Utility\files\superuser.apk and C:\Kindle Fire Utility\apps\apps\system [vending.apk, etc] to the device in a folder on the sdcard
2) Installed superuser.apk it through root explorer
3) Restarted it
4) Got the root access and copied the files (using root explorer) that I put on the device (from C:\Kindle Fire Utility\apps\apps\system) [vending.apk, etc] to /system/apps (changed the permissions accordingly to the other packages already there).
And the market is working now and also the root.

Last edited:

pirondello

Oct 13, 2007
Lausanne
Boot Loop with FFF loader

After successfully running ICS a couple of days on my fire, I am stuck with a boot loop (restarts after showing kindle fire with android logo)

As the FFF boot loader puts the kindle into fastboot mode for a short period (I can hear the typical windows sound if a device connects) the execution of fastboot commands is possible but I always get the following error:

...FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))

My battery is completely empty and it doesn't seem to charge while in the boot loop.

Drivers are correctly installed (reinstalling is not possible because the period my pc is recognizing the kindle is just too short).

Does anybody have a similar problem and/or a solution?

Techlyfe

Did you ever get things sorted out?
I have been wondering the same thing.

After successfully running ICS a couple of days on my fire, I am stuck with a boot loop (restarts after showing kindle fire with android logo)

What were you trying to do b4 you got stuck there?

Have you tried going into recovery upon bootup?

Also try this:

Disconnect kindle
Power kindle down
On KFU Chose option 3.(Install Twrp)
Once KFU displays < waiting for device > Plug in your kindle
Hopefully it will now jumpstart your kindle.
Let us know how this goes.

pirondello

Oct 13, 2007
Lausanne
Thanks for your answer!

A far as I remember, the device shut down due to empty battery, I plugged it into wall charger, it started normally but shut down suddenly after some time. Since then I have the boot loader loop.

I tried your steps, unfortunately it doen't work. The utility just "waites for the device" even though I can hear windows recognising the device.

20-04-2012%2020-27-23.jpg

I have been wondering the same thing.

What were you trying to do b4 you got stuck there?

Have you tried going into recovery upon bootup?

Also try this:

Disconnect kindle
Power kindle down
On KFU Chose option 3.(Install Twrp)
Once KFU displays < waiting for device > Plug in your kindle
Hopefully it will now jumpstart your kindle.
Let us know how this goes.

vertig

Aug 4, 2010
Did you ever get things sorted out?

No, not yet. I haven't found another cable that will work with my KF. I'm also thinking of switching to my netbook to try and get set up with KFU, since I put Eclipse back on my main laptop.

*Update*

Huzzah! On a whim I grabbed a LG micro USB cord and attempted to install my KF using Google's USB drivers from the Android SDK, and it installed as ADB Composite, and I was able to see it when I ran ADB DEVICES at the command prompt. I rebooted to see if the drivers stuck and everything seems good, so far.

Now I need to do some more reading up on how to proceed, as I don't want my next post to be "I BRICKED MY KINDLE"

Last edited:

pirondello

Oct 13, 2007
Lausanne
Solved the problem!! :) :)

Actually, it was just an empty battery problem. Apparently the kindle doesn't charge via the USB cable connected to the PC (at least when only in the boot loop). I have some wall chargers but none of them worked (I couldn't use the original one because I live in Europe and didn’t have the appropriate adapter).

So I bought an adapter, plugged the original wall charger into the kindle and bingo, the kindle started normally. :) :)

This means, the boot loop wasn't actually a "real" boot loop, but only a shut down right after the boot loader started. Looks like all my usb power connectors, except the original wall charger, didn't give enough amperes to boot the kindle normally.

Reactions: knownchild

mocap3069

May 24, 2007
Loop issue with ICS 4.0 Launcher

I have read and tried the various tricks stated to fix the issue with the ICS 4.0 Launcher looping on my Kindle Fire. The problem is there is nothing called kindle in my device manager on my XP or my Win7 systems. The only programs from this utlitly that are running are fastboot and adb. Either system gets stuck at Waiting for Device and will not proceed. I have not previously rooted my Kindle Fire.
Any ideas? Thank you for any help you can provide.

I tried an old Win98 trick and got the Kindle to be seen by the utility but now I am stuck at the TWRP screen.
What am I supposed to do from here?

Last edited:

SalsaForte

Dec 11, 2010
Montreal
comobi.ca
I have read and tried the various tricks stated to fix the issue with the ICS 4.0 Launcher looping on my Kindle Fire. The problem is there is nothing called kindle in my device manager on my XP or my Win7 systems. The only programs from this utlitly that are running are fastboot and adb. Either system gets stuck at Waiting for Device and will not proceed. I have not previously rooted my Kindle Fire.

I tried an old Win98 trick and got the Kindle to be seen by the utility but now I am stuck at the TWRP screen.

You must put in your Kindle fire the ZIP file of the rom you want to install then you boot in twrp to flash it.

xxxredeye

Aug 6, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
Is anyone having trouble getting this to work? (Sorry if this has already been answered, I did my best to find it on my own!)

I downloaded v0.9.5 (and after having no luck, v0.9.4 and v0.9.3) extracted the files and clicked on the run.bat. Every time, not matter the version, the file runs, then goes through the initial bs, then the window closes. I figured it was a configuration issue, so I then clicked the install_drivers.bat, which very quickly loaded the command prompt then disappeared. I uninstalled then reinstalled the drivers multiple times as well as uninstalled then reinstalled the Android SDK tools, and still no luck. I can see it under Processes as well, but it's nowhere to be seen. I know I can run it on my work computer which is running W7. The issue I'm having is with a Vista pc.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Techlyfe

ICS 4.0 Launcher looping? Not sure what you mean by that. What exactly is happening?

With your kindle fire plugged in, did you not see Android Phone in device manager?

If not, then your drivers were not installed properly. And that is the root of your issues <pun intended>.

Old Win98 Trick? What was this?

Stuck at TWRP Screen? So your in TWRP at the moment? Then choose reboot and then choose normal within TWRP.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Is anyone having trouble getting this to work?

Vista sucks... but anyway...

Try renaming Kindle Fire Utility to KFU and then putting that folder into the root of a drive such as C:\KFU or D:\KFU and see how it goes from there.

BTW it sounds as if the file is being ran as an administrator, that is usually what will cause the ran.bat to run and then close immediately after.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxxredeye

jasongray

May 9, 2009
Question:

I have successfully put CWM recovery onto the KF. Now I realised I actually need TWRP for getting the kernel 3.0 on. However it seems like for some reason the ADB driver will not activate. In the Utility menu it gives me a 'we are unable to locate your Kindle Fire' error and shows ADB as offline - see attached.
I've gone into the device manager and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, and no luck. In fastboot mode it just shows the KF with the Android logo on top but still no active ADB. I've followed all the information I could get online about this - but feel like I'm missing something small here.

Can anybody assist?

Thanks!

Techlyfe

jasongray;25154683In the Utility menu it gives me a 'we are unable to locate your Kindle Fire' error and shows ADB as offline - see attached.[/QUOTE said:
I don't think I noticed anything attached.

Btw is your Kindle booting into A ROM?

Try this anyway

Hard shutdown your kindle, (hold power button for 20-25 seconds until it shutsdown)
Now, Start KFU
Choose option 3 (Install Latest TWRP)
You should now see < waiting for device > in KFU
Now, Plug up your kindle, KFU should kick in from there and install TWRP along with the older bootloader.

**Note to all that doesn't know, if you see Android Phone in device manager,with your kindle plugged in, it's not your drivers that are crapped. Uninstalling and then re-installing them isn't going to do much. It's something else at fault.

Last edited:

jasongray

May 9, 2009
I don't think I noticed anything attached.

Btw is your Kindle booting into A ROM?

Try this anyway

Hard shutdown your kindle, (hold power button for 20-25 seconds until it shutsdown)
Now, Start KFU
Choose option 3 (Install Latest TWRP)
You should now see < waiting for device > in KFU
Now, Plug up your kindle, KFU should kick in from there and install TWRP along with the older bootloader.

**Note to all that doesn't know, if you see Android Phone in device manager,with your kindle plugged in, it's not your drivers that are crapped. Uninstalling and then re-installing them isn't going to do much. It's something else at fault.

Thanks for the help. I got it fixed now :)

vertig

Aug 4, 2010
Update on my feeble attempt at rooting my kindle...

I chose option 2 to install root and it worked. Then I selected the option to install FireFireFire and my KF rebooted to the fire caution sign, which it is stuck at, and KFU script is <waiting for device>, so it seems like on the attempt to fastboot I have lost connectivity with my computer (or something like that).

So now I reading back through the thread and am trying different things to force my KF to talk to KFU again, such as command line fastboots, running multiple instances of KFU, powering down and back on, etc. I will share what I learn when I get this crazy device conquered.

mocap3069

May 24, 2007
ICS 4.0 Launcher looping? Not sure what you mean by that. What exactly is happening?

With your kindle fire plugged in, did you not see Android Phone in device manager?

If not, then your drivers were not installed properly. And that is the root of your issues <pun intended>.

Old Win98 Trick? What was this?

Stuck at TWRP Screen? So your in TWRP at the moment? Then choose reboot and then choose normal within TWRP.

I ran into this issue because I misread the directions for the ICS 4.0 Launcher
and it was stuck in the Force Close issue. My Kindle fire just reboots into TWRP
2.0.0 if I touch the power button or not. There is no Normal option under Reboot
in TWRP only System and Power Off, both of which get me back to TWRP. The Kindle Fire utility cannot seem to see my Kindle any longer. Where do I get the standard Kindle Fire rom to flash if I must do that to fix this issue? I just want to
get me Kindle Fire back to factory default settings. Thank you for your reply

Last edited:

vertig

Aug 4, 2010
So long as you haven't messed with your drivers up to that point, simply unplugging your kindle, Shutting it down (by holding power button for 20-25 seconds) and then plugging the kindle fire back up should have kicked the KFU back into action.

That was the first thing I tried. I did it about 7 times. After that I opened up another instance of KFU and selected bootmode>recovery to see if that would start things back up, but it stuck on <waiting for device>.

When I checked Device Manager after sticking on FFF, I noticed my KF was showing as 'kindle' with an exclamation, so I was thinking because of the bootmode change, my drivers pooped out, which is very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: DO NOT use this on 2nd Generation Devices or you risk bricking your Device.

These procedures are for FIRST GENERATION Devices ONLY. In otherwords, for the ORIGINAL KF. If you proceed to use this on your 2nd Generation Device, and you BRICK it, don't complain. You have been warned.

This thread is also no longer maintained. A new Thread has been opened.

The new Thread

MD Moderator XDA

Hi all, some of you may have seen my utility over in the de-bricking thread. My goal at this point is to try and make lives easier for everyone I can.

So what I have done is created a script that can be used to handle a lot of common things people may want, and I will continue to add things people request that I think would be easy, and beneficial. I just wanted to make this situation easier for the average person.

You will see how the tool detects you at the default screen, and can refresh it by hitting 0 at any menu to have it refresh ADB/Fastboot and see what mode the kindle is in.

Currently the tool does:

• Automatic elevation to root for tool operations.
    • Full root install.
    • Auto detect current bootmode.
    • Auto Detect ADB/Fastboot Online/Offline.
    • Auto download update.zip from Amazon.
    • Auto download and install TWRP Recovery.
    • Auto download and install CWM Recovery.
    • Auto download and install FFF Bootloader.
    • Manage current bootmodes.
    • Manage Read/Write.
    • Install GoogleApps/Market/GoLauncherEX.
    • Lock/Unlock the Wallpaper from being changed.

Currently the tool comes packaged with the drivers required to operate ADB and Fastboot.

Please note: If your device can't be seen in fastboot mode, please make sure to install the drivers packaged with this, as it will show up afterwards. You can use the install_drivers.bat with the device plugged in for this.

Usage should be straight forward for the tool. If you are having issues with something, this tool has a good chance of getting you back on track. This issue was found and fixed using this post: Click me Over at Rootzwiki.

I make no claim that this tool is perfect, but I certainly will do my best to support it as long as people like it.

Here are some screen-shots of it:

kf_util_1.png

kf_util_2.png

kf_util_3.png

kf_util_4.png

kf_util_5.png

Credits goto:

Initial work by ubeezee & yareally on there forum thread.
    Full revert based off method from Clavin, "tweaked" by Vashypooh.
    Full credit of TWRP goes to Team Win for releasing an awesome tool! Good job guys.
    I checked with Dees_Troy prior to integrating TWRP install into the tool, and he was alright with it. If this changes, it will be changed or completely removed per their request.
    rooobbbbb on XDA for the Wallpaper Lock trick.
    Jolleyboy/Bandage on XDA for Android Market guide/ Android Apps.
    Sync settings found by Abramel @ XDA.
    Zeb for testing 0.9.4!

Please leave a message if this tool does not help you, malfunctions, or just to say thank you, or request more features!

Don't forget to donate to teamwin for their awesome recovery system over at: Team Win Website

Downloads:

WARNING: The following files ONLY work for the Original KF. Running this on a 2nd Generation KF will brick the device.

Current Release

Version 0.9.6 = Click Here

Extras(Will auto download, only for manual install users)
    Apps.zip = Click Here (Place in a folder called apps)
    TWRP = Click Here (Place in a folder called recovery)

Old Releases

Version 0.9.5 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.4 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.3 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.2 = Click Here
    Version 0.9.1 = Click Here
    Version .9 = Click Here
    Version .8 = Click Here
    Version .7 = Click Here
    Version .6 = Click Here
    Version .5 = Click Here
    Version .4 = Click Here
    Version .3 = Click Here
    Version .2 = Click Here
    Version .1 = Click Here

Bug Fixes

Version 0.9.6 = Fixed the rooting issue of not installing superuser.apk. Oops!
    Version 0.9.6 = Updated the options of recoveries and the root processes.
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected Gapps installer, now works!
    Version 0.9.6 = Corrected some installer issues with recoveries.
    Version 0.9.5 = Fixed the update not installing gapps correctly and crashing.
    Version 0.9.4 = Removed framework option as it confused people and really isn't used.
    Version 0.9.4 = Updated for amazon 6.3 update.
    Version 0.9.3 = Added option to load Burritoroots FireFireFire installer.
    Version 0.9.3 = Fixed to support latest BurritoRoot, sorry it took so long!
    Version 0.9.2 = Changed back to using the official TWRP download URL. They are allowing wget now.
    Version 0.9.2 = Rewrote TWRP installer to use a new method requiring zero user interaction. It should just work.
    Version 0.9.2 = New driver installer using the WDK install system. Should work perfect, every time.
    Version 0.9.1 = Fix TWRP download that Techerratta blocked. Hosting it myself for the moment.
    Version .9 = Minor fix in install drivers batch.
    Version .8 = Tried to make the TWRP installer a bit more verbose in telling people what to do.
    Version .8 = Fixed some issues with order of checking for root.
    Version .8 = Rewrote the driver installer to try to be a bit better and catch fastboot issues.
    Version .7 = Rewrote a lot of things to make them more user friendly and help the user know what is going on.
    Version .7 = Switched away from Zergrush to BurritoRoot
    Version .6 = Now pauses for users to finish the TWRP install before trying to bring it back to normal bootmode.
    Version .5 = Fixed my screwup of TWRP installer. My debug code was posted instead of real code ;( Sorry!
    Version .4 = Cleaned up a bit of code relating to zergRush, it now waits for ADB to come back online before continuing.
    Version .4 = Checks for files already downloaded so we don't waste bandwidth.
    Version .4 = Fixed the Fastboot loader command for TWRP, TWRP install should work better.
    Version .3 = Cleaned up a few areas, fixed a few issues that could revolve around ADB being out of date.
    Version .2 = Fixed issue with TWRP installer leaving the user in Fastboot instead of returning to Normal (4000).
    Version .1 = Initial Release.

New Features

Version 0.9.4 = Added a FireFireFire installer / updater per request!
    Version 0.9.4 = Added a CWM Installer per request!
    Version 0.9.2 = Setup an update system that allows me to change what users download the file from and what MD5 is legitimate so I can update packages.
    Version 0.9.2 = Added MD5 checking of all files downloaded for legitimacy.
    Version .9 = Added failsafe system to /system/
    Version .7 = Automatic BurritoRoot courtesy of Jcase of TeamAndIRC. Thanks man!
    Version .3 = New Driver installer. Just run install_drivers.bat before running the tool and all driver issues should be resolved. Could use some feedback on this.
    Version .3 = Added an extras menu with a few features to help people out!

Known Tricks

• If you end up stuck at the yellow triangle, in KF Utility select Boot Normal, wait for it to say <waiting for device> and then press and hold the power button 20 seconds until the fire turns off, then when its off turn it back on. This sometimes happens, I have yet to find a clean solution :(
    • If you end up stuck with a yellow triangle, do not EVER unplug it. Leave it plugged in. Check the windows drivers to make sure it isnt showing as "kindle" again. Fastboot is different and can cause this.

Need Live Help?

Kindle Fire IRC

Please visit there, and I may be able to help in person, if you are willing, I will even TeamViewer in to help! Rest assured, the chances of you actually bricking your kindle are very low, I or someone else can and would love to help. It helps us think of was to better handle things.
    I tries that in my device manager it says unknow device with yellow mark when i go to update driver it says the latest is already installed

Alright. Let me guide you through this...
    -Download the attachment I provide below and place it in somewhere you KNOW where you can find it easily. (I placed it in C:\android-sdk-windows\extras\google\usb_driver(I would recommend doing the same))
    -Go to device manager
    -right click on the exclamation mark kindle.
    -Choose update driver software
    -choose browse my computer for driver software
    -choose let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
    -Then select have disk
    -Then select browse
    -direct to where you downloaded the usb driver i attached
    -Select okay and okay

Download here
    you sir are incredible good job :)

I love the dev work that the kindle is getting. This thing will be 100% unlocked in no time with lots of great custom roms and kernels :D Makes me really happy as this is my first android device.
    New version of KFU

I PM'd VashyPooh and he is no longer supporting KFU because he doesn't own a Kindle Fire anymore. So now I will be maintaining this project for now. I am going to make a new thread and release Kindle Fire Utility v0.9.7+. Here is the new thread :) I don't know what should be done with this thread though once it becomes obsolete.

VashyPooh, thank you for what you've done here you've helped me and thousands of people root, install custom firmware, and de-brick our devices. We really appreciate what you've done for us and all the hard work you've put in to this. :good:

Also, thank you for letting me update this because now your utility will be able to help even more people. :)
    Kindle Fire Utility .7 released.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Notes:

• Exclusive support from jcase for this tool providing a custom BurritoRoot. Please Uninstall any old version you have on the fire.
    • Full support for rooting the Kindle permanently.
    • Easy TWRP installer from my TWRP tool is moved into here.

As usual, post any bugs or issues, or find me on IRC.