Shield Pro 2017 - Unbox (comes with old remote)

Search This thread

babyshanks

Oct 28, 2013
Minneapolis
Just got my new shield pro 2017 in the mail. Everything looks as expected with one pleasant surprise. The 2017 Shield pro package comes with the old remote which features the 3.5mm jack and usb charging :D. Alot of mixed info on the web regarding this. I think only a few sources have reported it and I'm happy to say it's confirmed. No other surprises. As you can see it comes with the new controller. Dimensions are as expected.

2qkv7gw.jpg

1zeju2u.jpg

975fme.jpg

15y6wyu.jpg

15f0t45.jpg

6nzh40.jpg

puhiniho

Oct 28, 2008
FedEx tracker says I should get mine on Tuesday. I'll also confirm when I get it. I also heard the remote would have headphone jack but other reports said otherwise. So great to hear!

tstack77

Nov 9, 2007
Chicago
HTC One (m7)
HTC EVO 3D
I purchased mine on the 19th from Bestbuy and my remote is the new version with a battery slide-out and no headphone jack. You got lucky it seems.

My bad, didn't see you had the pro

Last edited:

zedlion

Aug 6, 2009
Miami
does the new remote have an ir sensor in it or no?
how about the controller.
i got my 2017 pro on 1/29 but still haven't been able to figure that out.

i'm also trying to figure out if there is a way i can use the cec functionality to turn of and on my tv when putting my shield to sleep
any advice

the.teejster

Aug 14, 2008
The pro version comes with the old remote (rechargeable battery, headphone jack, no IR).
Non pro version comes with the new remote (replaceable battery, no headphone jack, IR).

My personal preference is the old remote as I find the headphone jack much more useful than IR. With the limited number of buttons on the remote, IMO, IR functionality wouldn't provide much of a benefit.

There are CEC control functions under settings / hdmi.. There are two options, one to turn on TV when shield is turned on and the other to turn off TV when shield is turned off.

Whether or not they work will depend on how new your TV is so YMMV with CEC. It works perfectly for me on my Vizio 55" 4K TV. It also automatically switches to the HDMI input of the shield when the shield is turned on.

does the new remote have an ir sensor in it or no?
how about the controller.
i got my 2017 pro on 1/29 but still haven't been able to figure that out.

i'm also trying to figure out if there is a way i can use the cec functionality to turn of and on my tv when putting my shield to sleep
any advice

Last edited:

zedlion

Aug 6, 2009
Miami
The pro version comes with the old remote (rechargeable battery, headphone jack, no IR).
Non pro version comes with the new remote (replaceable battery, no headphone jack, IR).

My personal preference is the old remote as I find the headphone jack much more useful than IR. With the limited number of buttons on the remote, IMO, IR functionality wouldn't provide much of a benefit.

There are CEC control functions under settings / hdmi.. There are two options, one to turn on TV when shield is turned on and the other to turn off TV when shield is turned off.

Whether or not they work will depend on how new your TV is so YMMV with CEC. It works perfectly for me on my Vizio 55" 4K TV. It also automatically switches to the HDMI input of the shield when the shield is turned on.

thanks for the reply
1 last question in order for the shield to turn off the tv does putting it in sleep mode count to turn off the tv or does the shield literally need to be powered down
(ill be connecting it to my vizio 55 in a few months when i replace the tv that the shield is hooked up to now so its good to know how it will behave then)

the.teejster

Aug 14, 2008
I never completely power down my shield... I always choose to put it to sleep for one very good reason (in my circumstance).. I'm not sure if the 2017 PRO version is different than the 2015 version. But if you fully power down the 2015 version then you have to power it on by the button on the shield itself. The Shield 2017 NON Pro edition doesn't have a power button. The pro version does just like the 2015 version. Does it have included IR support? Since my shield is hidden away and not easily accessible it's a pain anytime anyone ever fully powers down the unit because neither the remote nor the controller will turn it back on.

thanks for the reply
1 last question in order for the shield to turn off the tv does putting it in sleep mode count to turn off the tv or does the shield literally need to be powered down
(ill be connecting it to my vizio 55 in a few months when i replace the tv that the shield is hooked up to now so its good to know how it will behave then)

Last edited:

warglock

Sep 6, 2011
I have the 2017 base model of the Shield TV. The remote does indeed have IR and it works well with my Vizio 41" 5.1 soundbar and it controls the volume, thought I hate the "touch sensitive" "slot" deal they have.. With CEC set up properly, I can let my Shield TV sleep and it will auto turn off both my TV and soundbar. Pressing the center button of the Shield Remote wakes up the Shield TV and turns on the TV and Soundbar. The new controller does have IR as well. I have done a teardown on the base model and the new controller and can confirm.

https://xdaforums.com/shield-tv/general/teardown-shield-tv-2017-controller-t3549963

Anyone with the Pro 2017 model care to disassemble it and snap some pics of the motherboard? I'm interested to see where the IR sensor is as I would like to try adding it to my base model. I didn't know the base model didn't have IR on the console when I purchased it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just got my new shield pro 2017 in the mail. Everything looks as expected with one pleasant surprise. The 2017 Shield pro package comes with the old remote which features the 3.5mm jack and usb charging :D. Alot of mixed info on the web regarding this. I think only a few sources have reported it and I'm happy to say it's confirmed. No other surprises. As you can see it comes with the new controller. Dimensions are as expected.

2qkv7gw.jpg

1zeju2u.jpg

975fme.jpg

15y6wyu.jpg

15f0t45.jpg

6nzh40.jpg