Higher capacity battery

Search This thread

whalesplaho

Feb 1, 2012
Treasure Island
Help.. am using XMP!

am using mini pro but my battery doesnt last so much... if i should browse heavily on it, it wont last up 4-5hours!!! but music playing is ok. most times my battery drops without usage.

BlackArtsInc

Apr 26, 2012
Athens
Yes.Battery life with internet/music/2G/Data OFF and some calls is no more than 24h.And from what you report,aftermarket batteries don't help,so we re stuck.
For now at least...

BlackArtsInc

Apr 26, 2012
Athens
I can get up to 36h.
That said,if you charge overnight then this translates to two 12h "day"s usage.Max.More likely 1,5 "days"! Day as in daytime...
N.

Sent from one of my 4 iPads.

dwightlooi

May 1, 2012
Yes, you can. No, they haven't

First of all, I'll like to say that YES to can have more capacity in a same sized battery. Lithium-Ion (or Li-Ion Polymer) batteries can be made using different electrode and different electrolyte. Depending on the choices you make the volume metric energy density can range from about 200 to 650 watt-hour/liter. The stock Sony EP500 is about 385 watt-hour/liter, so is pretty decent but not exactly as good as is technologically possible.

However, I must also say that I have not seen one 1600, 1800 or 2340mAh battery that is not complete, utter, frauds. I have sampled three and all are similar to or worse than the stock battery. First of all, 1800 and 2340 is simply unattainable using Li-Ion chemistries, period. About 1750 is about as high as is theoretically possible if you don't care about costs, durability, safety or anything else. Even 1500~1600 is highly dubious. Let me explain...

First of all the EP500 is a Li-Polymer (aka Lithium-Ion with solid polymer electrolyte). Li-Polymer batteries are easier to make in a prismatic pancake and/or a flexible pouchcell format. They also have a solid electrolyte which means that they don't have liquids that can boil and cause an explosive pressure build up -- that's why Li-Ion batteries have a pressure relieve valve that blows to vent the battery so it will fail but not blow up. However, Li-Polymer is not as energy dense or capable of as high a current draw as traditional liquid electrolyte Li-Ion designs.

Another thing about Li-Ion type batteries is the discharge cycle. Li-Ion batteries degrades the least if you keep it between about 25 and 75% charge. A lot of times, a battery is rated for 1000mAh because that is how much it'll carry if you call 20% the minimum and 80% the maximum for instance. By limiting the maximum charge and discharge you prolong the useful life of the batteries. Electric systems in cars like the Prius and Volt does that too... The volt never discharge past 20~25% and nevver fully charges to the past 75~80% of the batteries actual capacity. Why? Because that's how that get that $10000 battery pack to last past the 8-year/100K mile warranty period! Similar measures are use on cell phone batteries to get the battery to last at least 1~2 years in normal use.

So, if you want a higher capacity EP500 sized battery you'll switch to a Li-Ion (vs Li-Polymer) chemistry, use the strongest electrolytes, charge it closer to the theoretical max and allow deeper discharging. Do that and you can probably get to 1400~1500mAh in the same size package. The price you pay is that the battery will be more expensive and has a short service life -- maybe 6 months instead of 1.5 years of typical use before it falls to 50% its "like new" capacity. Also, you better know what you are doing with temperature and pressure management during charging and discharging or the battery may blow up! Lastly, there is additional problem that your chemistry may produce slightly higher or lower nominal voltages -- Li-Ion chemistries range from 3.5 to 4.2 V in mean voltage (EP500 is about 3.9V) -- so it may or may not be compatible with the phone's charging system.

Anyway... to sum it up... yes, you can get to a 1400~1500 mAh EP500 sized battery. No, you cannot get to 1800~2340 mAh. Such performance carries a cost and longevity price and may or may not be voltage compatible to the phone. And, no, none of the "High Capacity" batteries I have seen so far have done anything sell lies and bull****.

Reactions: Untot

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
About the last point. Mugen Power Batteries is a company, which produces higher capacity batteries in a bigger form, these are sold with a custom back door as the new battery is bigger.

I have read quite a lot of good feedback about Mugen batteries for another phones.

Last edited:

ssbnasa

Mar 11, 2012
Mumbai
Is there any other option available other than stock batt un market ??

Last edited:

ssbnasa

Mar 11, 2012
Mumbai
Wtf !! :eek:
Hw u LWW guyzzz getting batt backup upto 30-40 hrs ??
I too have lww and I have to charge it twice a day with normal phone usage & 1-2 hrs of phone talk !!!!
Pls tell me....

Sent from my WT19i using xda premium

Someguyfromhell

Feb 2, 2012
Wtf !! :eek:
Hw u LWW guyzzz getting batt backup upto 30-40 hrs ??
I too have lww and I have to charge it twice a day with normal phone usage & 1-2 hrs of phone talk !!!!
Pls tell me....

Sent from my WT19i using xda premium

With my regular usage, I can get 1,5-2 days, but I reload it every night, just to be sure that next day I will be fully fine.

CoffeeCone

Apr 19, 2012
:uo!ʇɐɔoႨ
So based on the posts I've seen throughout this thread, we only have a single viable alternative and that is the 1600mAh battery? I also tried opening the Mugen website but it seems to be down.

I'm looking to have greater capacities for my Xperia Active and what I use it normally for is just FM Radio (on my way to work), a few minutes to an hour of gaming when I get home (ShadowGun, Cut the Rope), internet (to check in to Foursquare, check email, etc), SMS.

With the above usage, I get around almost a day of battery power. I'm not entirely sure though because when at the office I tend to charge it while I'm working so that I'm sure it won't die on me while on my way home.

I don't have 3G connection or any data plan for that matter since I'm almost always around a wifi hotspot so I don't see a need for one.

Any tips to up the battery to at least 2 days of usage? As far as this thead goes, I have't read a solid feedback on the 1600mAh battery which I'm looking forward to purchasing.

ionutph

Oct 29, 2010
Peaople, there are no such magic batteries that can last much longer than stock ones. Technicaly its imposible in the same size. There are battery that last longer than stock ones but with no big difference.

For my Mini I got a cheap chinese battery that lasted longer than original one in my high drain runtime test with 3d benchmark running in loop with a difference of 7%.

Maybe you should get rid of all stupid apps and widgets and disable data traffic when not using. My last recharge was after 6 days with light usage.

BlackArtsInc

Apr 26, 2012
Athens
Without using the phone the stock battery could last up to 5 days.
So what? Stop posting this kind of info cos its totally irrelevant. :rolleyes:
Most people actually use their phones.Some more,some less than others.
That's the point of having a phone anyway. :)

So,to recap,no there s still no better-than-stock-real-world-alternative battery.
N.

ionutph

Oct 29, 2010
"Without using the phone the stock battery could last up to" over 7 days in my phone because I try to optimize the power consumption.

I allready sugested a cheaper china battery that offered longer runtime in a high drain scenario than stock one. It also have free delivery.

Its the same battery from Deji I wrote long time ago. What more do you need ? Why people still ask about better batteries ? Alot of them has fantastic specifications, but are worse than stock one. The Deji battery is tested by me, with a exact procedure to maintain high acuracy between tests.

The store that is selling that battery has also an external charger If someone need to have 2 full batteries in shorter time.

We need test reports from others who have aftermarket batteries, but in a more precis and scientific tests. Afirmations like the "I think is lasting shorter" are no good, maybe other apps are running in beground, other light intensity for lightsensor and there are alot of variables when comparing battery capacities. The test sould be made after at least 10 full cycle charges.

About my battery, I can't say how will perform in time, but I will retest and I will post the results after more usage.

I can say that I have found a "better-than-stock-real-world-alternative battery".

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I finally made the battery test: stock SE EP500 1200 vs Deji 1800.
    Booth batteries were completely discharged and fully charged before the test. The test was to run the Neocore benchmark in loop mode (interactive in menu) with airplane mode, disabled auto-brightness/lightsensor , screen always on with fixed brightness at 50%.

The Deji 1800 lasted about 7% longer than original battery. 1200+7% = 1285, not 1800 but probably good for a cheap Chinese battery. Tehnicaly it's imposible to have much bigger capacity in the same battery volume.

I don't remember how many charge cycles has(fewer than the stock battery) , but after few more could last even better.
    Stop, don't buy the 'gold' battery from that seller!
    The capacities are fake, I got ripped off myself, the batteries are just normal capacity clones. Look carefully at the negative feedback.
    This is the stock battery, EP500 Li-Polymer 1200mAh

Code:
    http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/products/accessories/overview/ep500

No memory effect, can charge anytime, full charge obtained on around 3 hours via PC USB port.

Compatibility : Vivaz, Vivaz pro, Xperia mini/pro, Xperia X8

This is the best choice I can find on an alternative battery, claimed to be 2430mAh.

Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/130561150352

Double the capacity, which I believe should at least provide more juice. Planning to buy, but I suppose since most phones we have are new, we better see what the fully optimal EP500 can do first.

Any other choice and experiences, let us know.

---
    UPDATE : Based on feedbacks of that battery brand, its highly possible that higher capacity battery is not really accurate. There is no direct feedback on the EP500 replica model though, that remains to be found out. In my opinion, for best case, its high chance its just like the stock battery performance.
    ---

For my personal use, I bought an Energizer AP650.

ports.jpg

Energizer AP650MC Output : DC5V--700mA

On AP650 fully charged (charging LED off) plugged on an off SK17i (died to lack of batt), it will take around 25 mins to drain the AP650 into the SK17i while its turned on, standby idle.

SK17i was able to get 28% charge. From this data, I can say the AP650 can charge the SK17i at the rate of 1% per minute for max of 28 minutes. This means the whole charge of the AP650 can bump the standby (idle) time for at least 12 hours.

I will add more data when I find something of value. Will take actual picture with the phone also.

update: i changed phone already, went back to xperia arc but still sometimes use the energizer.
    I bought this battery and have tested it for weeks now

GOLD 2430MAH HIGH CAPACITY <-- Search on ebay

My review:

* Its not 2400mah

* Looks good and seems well made

* Doesnt heat any more than the stock battery

* After 3 weeks usage and full charge cycles, real battery stabilized @ around 1600mah

Final Review
    Its not as advertised but it beats the stock battery, i must warn tough that its very variable, i bought one for my girlfriend and hers is only marginally better than the stock battery, i guess quality control is lacking and its up to luck to get a decent one :s
    Have you ordered the 1600MAH battery from the above link?

Please could you post your findings as to whether?

1. Is it actually 1600MAH?
    2. Does it fit the Xperia Mini Pro without any mods?
    3. Does it increase the battery performance?

Thanks,

Hello,
    i buy this battery, today come to my home with Singapure stamp on envelope :)
    I charge it to full capacity, next my friend measure it with profesional electrican equipmnet and real values are better, then i expect (and described in eshop)
    Values are: 4,16V and 1730mAh
    Size is the same as original.
    And perfomance...i see after few days or weeks.
    So, for me is this battery good deal :)