hotspot/tethering with no internet acess

Search This thread

dubcmj

Mar 20, 2015
Hi all,

I have an issue when trying to use wifi hotspot or USB tethering. I am able to connect to the G3 without any issues, but when I connect there is no Internet access on the device I connect with (the G3 still has Internet access when tethered). I have tested this with my laptop and also a different phone and neither device can access the Internet when tethered to the G3. I have also tested the sim card in another device, and confirmed that the sim is not the cause of the problem - the G3 is definitely the cause.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, or how to fix it? I'd prefer not to root the phone.

Details:
LG G3 D855, 32 GB version.
Software: V20c-SEA
I am not rooted and I'm using the stock ROM.

Reactions: tiz97

dubcmj

Mar 20, 2015
I have just discovered that tethering will work on my phone when I disable 4G.

i.e. when I select "GSM/WCDMA auto" as my preferred network mode, tethering works.
when I select "GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto", tethering will not work (as described in first post).

Does anyone know why LTE would prevent tethering from working?

dubcmj

Mar 20, 2015
OK, so I finally managed to find a very simple solution to my own problem. I'll post here in case anyone else has the same problem.

In phone settings, go to:
Tethering & Networks --> Mobile Networks --> Access point names
Click on your relevant APN to get into the settings.
Edit "APN type" and delete it so it's empty (mine previously said "default").
Save the changes.

That's it! Tethering should work now.

LeeC

Jun 26, 2008
Ottawa
I got a Rogers G3 and had no internet access after connect to hotspot. The Rogers APN cannot be edited. So I created a new APN with just the name and ltemobile.apn, leave all other settings blank. Tethering works now.

aazapf

Jan 14, 2009
Hi all,

I have an issue when trying to use wifi hotspot or USB tethering. I am able to connect to the G3 without any issues, but when I connect there is no Internet access on the device I connect with (the G3 still has Internet access when tethered). I have tested this with my laptop and also a different phone and neither device can access the Internet when tethered to the G3. I have also tested the sim card in another device, and confirmed that the sim is not the cause of the problem - the G3 is definitely the cause.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening, or how to fix it? I'd prefer not to root the phone.

Details:
Yep. Exact same problem.

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

Good thread. The above didn't solve for my issue but pointed me in the right direction. My network provider (OPTUS AUSTRALIA) had multiple APN's. Tethering with the default APN failed to allow internet access via wifi hotspot. I changed the APN to default using a different APN and reconnected my laptop and this now works. The alternative was to turn the phone off and on again which was driving me nuts. I hope this helps anyone else with the same issue.

inphasis

Apr 8, 2011
Great my LG-H831 G5 was also fixed by this so thanks.

I've got that settings with text message by my wireless career ... So I guess they are to blame for together with LG's crappy heavily customized roms

OK, so I finally managed to find a very simple solution to my own problem. I'll post here in case anyone else has the same problem there full with problems like that

Save the changes.

Reactions: mikew99

djvdorp

Aug 14, 2011
Pijnacker
vandorp.biz
OK, so I finally managed to find a very simple solution to my own problem. I'll post here in case anyone else has the same problem.

Save the changes.

Thanks so much for this! I have a completely different cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 edge) with Vodafone NL and had the same issue.
My APN type was set to "default,supl,mms,xcap" by default, and deleting it so it's empty and saving the changes resolved the problem right away!

Last edited:

titos38

Oct 9, 2011

Save the changes.

Thank you my friend i'm looking for a solution the last year... Now i can tether my connection!!

deimtp

Nov 24, 2019
None of the tricks all of you give works on my LG V20 H910 AT&T.. I had try every single tricks here, none of them works. Darn.. Oh boy..
Anyway, thanks for sharing the tips, guys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Save the changes.

Hi all,

Details:
    Great my LG-H831 G5 was also fixed by this so thanks.

I've got that settings with text message by my wireless career ... So I guess they are to blame for together with LG's crappy heavily customized roms

OK, so I finally managed to find a very simple solution to my own problem. I'll post here in case anyone else has the same problem there full with problems like that

Save the changes.