[Q] 3G = usable?

Search This thread

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
I think I'm just gonna flash a Verizon PRL and use that for as long as I can, with no intention to get kicked. If I do, great, but can I take my family with me?
I don't wanna root my family's phones. Just mine. I don't wanna sign up for an individual plan. I'd rather port all 3 numbers to AT&T immediately.

NORCALkID

Jun 23, 2011
I think I'm just gonna flash a Verizon PRL and use that for as long as I can, with no intention to get kicked. If I do, great, but can I take my family with me?
I don't wanna root my family's phones. Just mine. I don't wanna sign up for an individual plan. I'd rather port all 3 numbers to AT&T immediately.

You get like 300 mb of roaming ... Also if you put your phone to roam and you happen to get 4g lte calls don't work

Sent from my HTCONE using xda premium

Reactions: sauprankul

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
You get like 300 mb of roaming ... Also if you put your phone to roam and you happen to get 4g lte calls don't work

300 megs? Pah. I can use that in like a week if I want to. I'm just apprehensive because I don't wanna be hit with charges or get a sudden termination with no time to port or only have my line disconnected, instead of the whole family. Seriously, doesn't anyone know if any of that will happen?
About the LTE thing... Can I just turn off LTE? I don't need it as long as I have decent 3G.

luigi311

Feb 18, 2011
300 megs? Pah. I can use that in like a week if I want to. I'm just apprehensive because I don't wanna be hit with charges or get a sudden termination with no time to port or only have my line disconnected, instead of the whole family. Seriously, doesn't anyone know if any of that will happen?
About the LTE thing... Can I just turn off LTE? I don't need it as long as I have decent 3G.

U can set phone to cdma only and use roam. It's not 300 megs people use way over than that roaming

res0prw2

May 14, 2013
Just remembered thanks to that guy mentioning roaming. Apperently people in the past people would flash a Verizon prl that would allow them access to their 3g service by forcing roam. After a while sprint would message them via a letter or something telling them they are excessively roam and their account will be terminated. This was a method that some were using to get out of their sprint contracts without having to pay the etf. Although this is morally indecent so it is up to u to try it. I don't know how the results for u will come out though since u just opened ur account just tossing it out there

This.

If you use the "roam only" option (found in almost all custom roms) you could more easily exceed your data roaming limit, placing you on Sprint 's radar for free early termination.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
Does Roam control work without root on the One?
If that works, then I'll be all set because I can install it on all my family's phones, and not have to root them. Then, I'll be sure that all of my lines will get disconnected.

res0prw2

May 14, 2013
Are you on a family share plan? If so I would imagine you could just root your phone and if they cancel your contract, all of your family's phones would be included and that way you could take your whole family with you to AT&T or whichever provider you want.

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
Are you on a family share plan? If so I would imagine you could just root your phone and if they cancel your contract, all of your family's phones would be included and that way you could take your whole family with you to AT&T or whichever provider you want.

That's what I'm thinking too. But I may actually read the contract (eek) to see the details about fees and grace period.

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
Yeah. OK.
But I probably won't do this until somebody tells me my whole family will get disconnected. And I see more successful reports.

No

No actually only the line that is roaming will get the boot... Trust me there are no extra charges. Sprint tells us its unlimited so they can't charge you. I was on a family plan and only my line was disconnected. I would do well over 300 MB tho.. I mean I was doing about 1gb a night. And u could make calls just fine you just need to put in the area code first and I don't believe it's possible to roam on Verizon 4g so idk what the other guy is talking about not being able to make calls. Also they give you 1 month notice before they disconnect you they won't just do it suddenly. You also get many reminders from them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

I'll post my letter later tonight

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:
Reactions: sauprankul

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
No actually only the line that is roaming will get the boot... Trust me there are no extra charges. Sprint tells us its unlimited so they can't charge you. I was on a family plan and only my line was disconnected. I would do well over 300 MB tho.. I mean I was doing about 1gb a night. And u could make calls just fine you just need to put in the area code first and I don't believe it's possible to roam on Verizon 4g so idk what the other guy is talking about not being able to make calls. Also they give you 1 month notice before they disconnect you they won't just do it suddenly. You also get many reminders from them.

Well, will I still have to pay the full 180 for my whole family or will it go down to like 120 bucks? I guess it won't be so bad if I'm on a different plan. T mobile will give me 500 megs for 70 bucks. Thats including their Jump program, I assume. Plus I get to keep and sell the phone, so that'll (hopefully)offset my costs.
All right then. I'll do this! After I RMA my phone, of course. I might actually wait until the end of august to see if stuff gets any better.

Last edited:

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
Well, will I still have to pay the full 180 for my whole family or will it go down to like 120 bucks? I guess it won't be so bad if I'm on a different plan. Plus I get to keep and sell the phone, so that'll offset my costs.
All right then. I'll do this! After I RMA my phone, of course. I might actually wait until the end of august to see if stuff gets any better.

Like I said it takes about 6 months so I would get started ASAP

subhumanderelict

Dec 3, 2007
Chicago, Il
You know, in the amount of time some of you are willing to wait (months) to run up enough roaming charges to get kicked off of Sprint, your area might actually receive Network Vision upgrades. Check out s4gru.com to see when that is slated to happen.

However, if you choose to join that site, know that Sprint bashing is prohibited. Also, know that the people there are well-versed in cellular technology and deployment. Saying things like “Sprint made a bad call with WiMAX” will get you ridiculed (just FYI, they had no choice but to use WiMAX when they did).

Just some basic info that people might want to know:
-EV-DO Rev. A maxes out at 3.2Mbps
-Post-Network Vision 3G speeds will regularly get you over 800Kbps
-LTE in a fully-deployed area will regularly get you over 5Mbps (though, beyond 2Mbps, you’re just getting into a measuring contest because you won’t perceive a difference unless you do a speed test)

sauprankul

Jul 23, 2012
You know, in the amount of time some of you are willing to wait (months) to run up enough roaming charges to get kicked off of Sprint, your area might actually receive Network Vision upgrades. Check out s4gru.com to see when that is slated to happen.

However, if you choose to join that site, know that Sprint bashing is prohibited. Also, know that the people there are well-versed in cellular technology and deployment. Saying things like “Sprint made a bad call with WiMAX” will get you ridiculed (just FYI, they had no choice but to use WiMAX when they did).

Just some basic info that people might want to know:
-EV-DO Rev. A maxes out at 3.2Mbps
-Post-Network Vision 3G speeds will regularly get you over 800Kbps
-LTE in a fully-deployed area will regularly get you over 5Mbps (though, beyond 2Mbps, you’re just getting into a measuring contest because you won’t perceive a difference unless you do a speed test)

That's what I'm thinking too. And after doing the math, I realized that if I get kicked off alone, then I'm going to be paying like 40 bucks a month extra. So no go. I may just passively roam on Verizon 3G until I see a difference. And the Sprint guy said August. So I think I should wait.
The S4gru website says that San Jose is supposed to receive LTE this month but it will actually be here in November - next year. Is that a typo?

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
Lol good luck waiting guys... I been hearing the same story for years about sprint but things never changed. I wish you all luck but honestly I have no faith in their network

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I get about 700kbit download and 600kbit upload on average which is good enough for browsing and video calls but forget about downloading 50+mb apps.As long as texts work all the time and I can roam for free I'm good to go.
    I'm desperate people. I can't go along with this kind of service. I would be perfectly happy with 2 megs down. I dont need 30 megs down or whatever, and chances are, if Sprint has never really taken the effort to put decent 3G around here, they probably won't with 4G.
    So about the roaming thing... Will I really get kicked out without an ETF? I think I can because I technically didn't ask them to kick me off, right? I just ended up accidentally roaming a bit too much. Does anybody have experience with the roaming loophole? Will I be able to keep this phone or what? Will they give me roaming fees? Is Verizon's 3G going to be that much faster?

Lol yes sir I just got kicked off July 23rd but I switched to att the day I found out I could. I would just stay with a Verizon prl not like 00003 or something and you have to do it for at least 3 months in a row. I would leave my phone downloaded torrents every night before I go to bed. At least a couple gbs in size. Sprint didn't kick me off right away tho. I did this in December January and February then I eventually gave up BC I didn't think they would boot me. Then in June they sent the letter saying my service would be disconnected ETF FREE!!! So I Porte's my number to att and the rest is history

Yeah. OK.
    But I probably won't do this until somebody tells me my whole family will get disconnected. And I see more successful reports.

No

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

I'll post my letter later tonight

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta