[NEW][GUIDE][ICS/JB] How to Root/Unroot Your I9100G Via Stock Recovery

Search This thread

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
Hi guys! I believe most of you obtained root via this method by Jiangyi: [TUTORIAL] Root access for ICS on I9100G which requires a temporary CWM. Quite a few users face problems because in temporary CWM, internal storage is swapped with external storage, i.e. sdcard=internal storage, internal sdcard=external storage. It may be confusing for newbies, especially on their first attempt on rooting. Therefore, I decided to release an easier method, where you can flash the zip files directly via stock 3e recovery! :D

Requirements:
- Running a stock ICS/JB ROM
- External sdcard

Features:
- SuperSU v0.99 by Chainfire
- Busybox v1.20.2 by Stericson
- No yellow traingle
- No increase in binary counter

Instructions (Root):
1. Download SU-BB-Installer.zip from here: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390233485161005747
2. Place it in your external sdcard.
3. Power off your device COMPLETELY.
4. Boot into recovery mode by pressing Volume up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously.
5. Navigate to "apply update from external storage" using the volume buttons.
6. Select it by pressing the Power button.
7. Select SU-BB-Installer.zip.
8. Wait for it to finish and navigate up (select "../").
9. Select "reboot system now".
10. Congratulations, you now have root and busybox! :D

Optional: (For ICS only)
To obtain CWM recovery in order to start flashing ROMs or mods, read on:
1. Download kTool from Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hellcat.droiddev.ktool
2. For ICS: Download the CWM recovery kernel by codeworkx from here: [KERNEL][GT-I9100G] ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.2
3. Extract the .tar file and you will get a file named zImage.
4. Place the zImage in the root of your internal storage.
5. Launch kTool and select "Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage".
6. Reboot and profit! ;) If you boot into recovery by Volume Up + Home + Power buttons, you will now see CWM recovery.

Optional: (For JB only)
1. Download one of the stock recovery flashable zips of Blazing Safe Kernel from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293576
4. Boot into recovery mode by pressing Volume up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously.
7. Select the zip.
6. Reboot and profit! ;) If you boot into recovery by Volume Up + Home + Power buttons, you will now see CWM recovery.

Instructions (Unroot):
1. Download SU-BB-Unstaller.zip from here: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390233485161005748
7. Select SU-BB-Unstaller.zip.
10. You are now unrooted.

**NOTE: In order to use this method to unroot, you MUST use my method to root before this.

Optional (remove CWM recovery)(For ICS only):
This is the tricky part, the easiest way is to reflash a whole firmware via ODIN. But if you like new methods, try this:
1. DO NOT uninstall kTool or unroot your phone first!
2. Obtain a stock zImage (either you download it or extract it from a firmware package), make sure that it is meant for the firmware you are using.
3. Place the zImage in the root of your internal storage.
4. Launch kTool and select "Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage".
5. Reboot and if you boot into recovery by Volume Up + Home + Power buttons, you will now see the default stock 3e recovery.
6. Now you can unroot your device. :D

Optional (remove CWM recovery)(For JB only):
1. Download stock_XXLSR_kernel.zip from here: http://bit.ly/XCEejd and place it into your external sdcard/internal sdcard.
5. Navigate to "Install zip from sdcard" using the volume buttons.
7. Select "Install zip from sdcard" if you placed it in the external sdcard, or select "Install zip from internal storage" if you placed it in the internal sdcard.
8. Navigate and select stock_XXLSR_kernel.zip.
9. Wait for it to finish.
10. Select "reboot system now".
11. CWM recovery is now replaced by stock 3e recovery, and back to stock kernel too.

That's all from me. Happy rooting! ;)

Last edited:

Dzol Cp

Jan 5, 2012
TB/BF Penang
Great Guide @OP..
for the verifirst time i follow this and it working great without using my pc,,and i just do it on my friend S2 today,,
FOR NOOB*

Read and follow the instructions in the thread as what @OP wrote...
YOU MAY SUCCESSFULLY ROOT.FLASH CWM ON YOU S2

I think this this thread should be STICKY THREAD

Reactions: alkasser011

301stSpartan

Apr 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Really great guide man. Super simple. Will use this to root my gf's 9100G and get her on CM once I get back to India. Especially helpful because she just burned out her USB port by dropping the phone in a toilet so she can't use odin. =_=

Sent from my 9100G, running CM10.1 / Codebox / Slim Bean, depending on the day ;)

Infinite96

Aug 1, 2012
Really great guide man. Super simple. Will use this to root my gf's 9100G and get her on CM once I get back to India. Especially helpful because she just burned out her USB port by dropping the phone in a toilet so she can't use odin. =_=

Sent from my 9100G, running CM10.1 / Codebox / Slim Bean, depending on the day ;)
This is much better than odin hehe

Reactions: wanlanggaq

QuAn64m

Oct 21, 2010
Really nice. I wondered how to remove the cwm in case i have to send my device to Samsung. Now i know. Thank you:)

Sent from my GT-I9100G using xda app-developers app

Pinktank

Jan 25, 2011
This is going to be a bit of a noob question, but I'm new to samsungs, I swear that rooting is very different on everything else.

Is this the best way to flash a new aosp rom? The phone is not ICS at the moment, so I was going to flash stock ICS, follow this tutorial to root, and then install some jb rom like rootbox. Or can I just do temporary CWM and flash the root box on there and keep cwm?

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io
Re: [NEW][GUIDE][ICS] How to Root/Unroot Your I9100G Via Stock Recovery

This is going to be a bit of a noob question, but I'm new to samsungs, I swear that rooting is very different on everything else.

Is this the best way to flash a new aosp rom? The phone is not ICS at the moment, so I was going to flash stock ICS, follow this tutorial to root, and then install some jb rom like rootbox. Or can I just do temporary CWM and flash the root box on there and keep cwm?

No, JB ROMs require ICS bootloader...so the best way is to flash a stock ICS ROM, root it and get a kernel with CWM, then only flash the new ROM...

fauzi_91

Nov 11, 2011
B.B.Bangi

U must flash ics stock firmware 1st in order to get the ics bootloader..then u can do temporary cwm and can flash any roms based on ics/jb..

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

mhairy

Nov 6, 2011
Hi guy need ur help..im follow the step but when enter su-bb-installer
Finding update package...
Opening updated package..
Verifying updated package..
E:signature verification failed

mhairy

Nov 6, 2011
Thanks mate 4 quick reply..
But I'm sure my phone is ICS..already updated with Samsung kies 4.0.3

Ryuinferno

Apr 3, 2012
ryuinferno.github.io

Hmm...weird then...it works for most of us...then you'd have to try the method by Jiangyi on another thread...maybe Sammy changed some stuff...:\

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys! I believe most of you obtained root via this method by Jiangyi: [TUTORIAL] Root access for ICS on I9100G which requires a temporary CWM. Quite a few users face problems because in temporary CWM, internal storage is swapped with external storage, i.e. sdcard=internal storage, internal sdcard=external storage. It may be confusing for newbies, especially on their first attempt on rooting. Therefore, I decided to release an easier method, where you can flash the zip files directly via stock 3e recovery! :D

Requirements:
    - Running a stock ICS/JB ROM
    - External sdcard

Features:
    - SuperSU v0.99 by Chainfire
    - Busybox v1.20.2 by Stericson
    - No yellow traingle
    - No increase in binary counter

Instructions (Root):
    1. Download SU-BB-Installer.zip from here: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390233485161005747
    7. Select SU-BB-Installer.zip.
    10. Congratulations, you now have root and busybox! :D

Optional: (For ICS only)
    1. Download kTool from Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hellcat.droiddev.ktool
    2. For ICS: Download the CWM recovery kernel by codeworkx from here: [KERNEL][GT-I9100G] ClockworkMod Recovery 6.0.1.2
    3. Extract the .tar file and you will get a file named zImage.
    4. Place the zImage in the root of your internal storage.
    5. Launch kTool and select "Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage".

Optional: (For JB only)
    1. Download one of the stock recovery flashable zips of Blazing Safe Kernel from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2293576
    7. Select the zip.

Instructions (Unroot):
    1. Download SU-BB-Unstaller.zip from here: http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390233485161005748
    7. Select SU-BB-Unstaller.zip.
    10. You are now unrooted.

**NOTE: In order to use this method to unroot, you MUST use my method to root before this.

Optional (remove CWM recovery)(For ICS only):
    This is the tricky part, the easiest way is to reflash a whole firmware via ODIN. But if you like new methods, try this:
    1. DO NOT uninstall kTool or unroot your phone first!
    2. Obtain a stock zImage (either you download it or extract it from a firmware package), make sure that it is meant for the firmware you are using.
    3. Place the zImage in the root of your internal storage.
    4. Launch kTool and select "Flash kernel from /sdcard/zImage".
    5. Reboot and if you boot into recovery by Volume Up + Home + Power buttons, you will now see the default stock 3e recovery.
    6. Now you can unroot your device. :D

Optional (remove CWM recovery)(For JB only):
    1. Download stock_XXLSR_kernel.zip from here: http://bit.ly/XCEejd and place it into your external sdcard/internal sdcard.
    5. Navigate to "Install zip from sdcard" using the volume buttons.
    7. Select "Install zip from sdcard" if you placed it in the external sdcard, or select "Install zip from internal storage" if you placed it in the internal sdcard.
    8. Navigate and select stock_XXLSR_kernel.zip.
    9. Wait for it to finish.
    10. Select "reboot system now".
    11. CWM recovery is now replaced by stock 3e recovery, and back to stock kernel too.

That's all from me. Happy rooting! ;)
    Guys! I just rooted the phone running the latest JB stock ROM using this method...so yeah...confirmed working! :D

But please do not flash any stock custom kernel for now as they are not JB compatible yet...
    Ryu yr work spread fast .:thumbup:
    http://m.ibtimes.co.uk/galaxys2-i9100g-root-xxlsr-jellybean-update-release-433302.html

Sent from my GT-I9100G using xda app-developers app
    :D Great Mate :)
    will be back to our 'G' Family soon ;)
    with blast ;)

Sent from my Xperia T using tapatalk 2
    You are too free at 3.30 in the morning hahahaa :)
    Nice guide btw. will help a lot of people.