Vision CM 7 SRC (Source) and Nightly Windows Flashing Guide

Search This thread

shadowofzeus

Dec 20, 2009
McAllen
Shadowofzeus Guide to flashing CM7 SRC (Source) on Windows revision 2

Disclaimer: I am by no means responsible if you brick your phone doing this. Flashing new roms can cause problems with your phone, as can flashing new recoveries, but I cannot foresee you bricking your phone by doing this. Even if you screw up flashing a recovery image you should be able to just flash the old image back and things should be back to normal. I will answer any questions you might have as I am sure many other forum members will too.

First off you must be fully rooted if you are not then you need to get there including having the ENG bootloader. Here is a link on how to get to that point.

G2 Wiki Root and ENG HBoot method

Second download the android sdk for windows from

Android Developers SDK Site

I recommend this file installer_r08-windows.exe because it is easier to work with. The nice thing about the windows files is it comes with fastboot in the package already.

Third if you are not comfortable with fastboot, adb, ClockworkMod Recovery, and windows command prompt then maybe this is not the right thing for you to be doing.

Fourth you need to understand a few things.

As of right now if you decide to bite the bullet and go and try this beta of the release client remember that Cyanogen and his team are not supporting it. Also this is not really meant to be a everyday driver sort of rom. It works well enough to be, but some releases break things so remember that.

Fifth, you will not as of when I am writing this be able to flash back to any of the Foyo roms because the new version of Clockwork Mod Recovery still seems to have trouble flashing them. Gingerbread requires the rom to be flashed to a partition with ext4 files scheme which Foyo is not compatible with. So if you want to fall back you will need to flash back to an older version of ClockworkMod Recovery.
And finally Clockwork Mod Recovery is not the same thing as Rom Manager. Rom Manager is a visual front end for some of the features of Clockwork Mod Recovery. Its version number is independent of ClockworkMod Recovery.

Screenshot of Rom Manger

picture.php

Screenshot of Clockwork Mod Recovery

picture.php

Okay now to the tutorial.

The tutorial is based on the idea of a clean flash. Meaning that all of your apps will be erased and will need to be downloaded again. I recommend that you do a Titanium backup and restore you apps after you're done flashing for the first time. Titanium backup is available in the market.

First download a recovery img, rom and gapps package from ether

gridlock32404's site

Recovery Images

Roms

Google Apps

or

rhcp0112345's site

Everything in one place

and Now the Nightlies!

Rom Look for Vision

Recovery

Once everything is downloaded. Go to where you downloaded the files and copy them to the tools folder of where you installed your android sdk.

Now open a command prompt window by ether typing in “cmd” in the run box on the start menu (windows XP) or in the search box on the start menu (Windows Vista, 7).

picture.php

Also you can go to “start menu > programs > accessories > command prompt”.

picture.php

Now on the command prompt type cd < the path to your android sdk tool's folder> and hit enter.

picture.php

Now type

“adb reboot bootloader”

picture.php

Once it loads and says “fastboot usb” type

“fastboot flash recovery <name of recovery.img file>”

picture.php

You will see some text about sending the file and flashing successfully.

Then type

“fastboot erase system -w”

picture.php

This will erase your system and some personal setting so that you can flash with a clean install.

Next on the fastboot screen press the power button to go to the bootloader screen.

Wait for it to load and then press down on the volume down button once and then press the power button.

Wait for it to load in to you new ClockworkMod Recovery Version 3.0.0.5

Now we need to do somethings first before flashing the rom and Gapps.

Hopefully you know how to navigate ClockworkMod if not then this really is not the best thing for you to be doing. Scroll down to “wipe data/factory reset” and select it. Let it do its thing.

Then scroll down to “wipe cache partition” again let it do its thing. Next scroll down to advance and select it. Here select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and let it again do its thing.

Ok now hit the power button to go back to the root menu. From here click on “install zip from sdcard”.

Ok now its time to transfer the file to your phone.

<Side note if you would perfer to transfer the files using the mount usb setting here is a tutorial on how to set it up by Ganii

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=901449
>

Type in the command prompt window.

“adb push <name of the rom> sdcard/”

picture.php

This will take a few minutes depending on your computer and your sdcard.

Once it finishes type

“adb push <name of gapps package> sdcard/”

picture.php

Let it do its thing.

Now back on the phone you should see the “choose zip form sdcard” Select it and scroll down till you see the name of the rom you pushed using adb.

Select it and then scroll down to “Yes – Install <name of rom file>” and select it.

Lets begin the file install.

Now there are two way to do the next part, you can ether install the gapps package with out mounting the system and data partitions or you can mount them and install that way. I will be doing it using the mounting method because I know that works.

Now once the rom file installs it drops you back to the “Apply update from .zip file on SD card” menu
Press the back button and it should take you back to the root menu. On the root menu scroll down and select the “mounts and storage”

On this menu screen select “mount /system” and then “mount /data” next press the power button to go back.

Then scroll back down to “install zip from sdcard” and repeat the flashing sequence that we used for the rom but select the file for the gapps.

After it flashes press the power button to go back to the root menu and scroll down to “advanced”

On the Advance menu select “Fix Permissions”

Let it do its thing.

Once it is done then press the power button to get back to the root menu. Select “reboot system now”
and wait and see if it works.

I hope this has helped clear up some confusion people have been having with all of this.

Shadowofzeus

Last edited:

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
You forgot that for fastboot, they'll need a ENG bootloader, or it'll fail. Otherwise, pretty good write up. ;)

ludow

Jul 9, 2010
HTC Roms are real PITA for me. I would like to try one custom rom before my Desire Z changes owner.

You guys are super technical and noob like me can't find step by step directions for one single rom.

I have no problems flashing my SGS. I bet I wrote wrong place again. :eek:

KoolKidsKlub

Aug 8, 2010
How safe is flashing the ENG HBOOT? I want to flash it to my phone when I root it but I'm sorta scared, I"m pretty comfortable with rooting it, but if you screw up on the ENG HBOOT, you will have an unrecoverable brick. I'm no noob to cell phone modding, I used to mod Motorola's back in the day before Android and I have the new 14 RAM HBOOT and Radio on my G1. Is flashing the ENG HBOOT safe?

EDIT: Oh and I wouldn't link or tell people to root with the VISIONary method, that method is "fake" and EXTREMELY unsafe, I would link them to the tutorial in the Wiki, I haven't seen a single person brick with that method yet, and other people say the same(from what I hear at least.)

Last edited:
How safe is flashing the ENG HBOOT? I want to flash it to my phone when I root it but I'm sorta scared, I"m pretty comfortable with rooting it, but if you screw up on the ENG HBOOT, you will have an unrecoverable brick. I'm no noob to cell phone modding, I used to mod Motorola's back in the day before Android and I have the new 14 RAM HBOOT and Radio on my G1. Is flashing the ENG HBOOT safe?

I think the main risk with the ENG hboot is that if you make a mistake with the command that does the actual flashing:

dd if=/data/local/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

You can indeed brick your phone.

I have not changed my hboot for this reason and because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of benefit for me to it. Having it _does_ give you a little additional recourse in case both your recovery and your ROM get screwed up though so it may well be worth it if you are running experimental recovery (as CWM 3.x is right now) and a highly experimental ROM (as CM7 is right now).

steviewevie

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 28, 2009
UK
On the flashing eng hboot thing, I agree with raitchison. All of the stuff to do with rooting/S-OFF etc has a certain degree of risk, it's not 100% "safe". But if you carefully read up on everything in advance, and then carefully carry out the necessary procedures, you will have to be pretty unlucky to end up bricked.

Specifically with the eng hboot, when you have copied the file to your phone, before dd'ing it you should run a checksum on it for safety's sake, to make sure you have downloaded and copied a valid file and not a corrupt one. The checksums are in the Wiki.

As long as you do this and are then very careful in typing that instruction to do the "dd" itself (copy and paste can help reduce the possibility for error), then the only thing that could go wrong really is your phone losing power or crashing right in the middle of the dd. I think you'd have to be extremely unlucky for that latter possibilities to happen.

KoolKidsKlub

Aug 8, 2010
On the flashing eng hboot thing, I agree with raitchison. All of the stuff to do with rooting/S-OFF etc has a certain degree of risk, it's not 100% "safe". But if you carefully read up on everything in advance, and then carefully carry out the necessary procedures, you will have to be pretty unlucky to end up bricked.

Specifically with the eng hboot, when you have copied the file to your phone, before dd'ing it you should run a checksum on it for safety's sake, to make sure you have downloaded and copied a valid file and not a corrupt one. The checksums are in the Wiki.

As long as you do this and are then very careful in typing that instruction to do the "dd" itself (copy and paste can help reduce the possibility for error), then the only thing that could go wrong really is your phone losing power or crashing right in the middle of the dd. I think you'd have to be extremely unlucky for that latter possibilities to happen.

Ah alright, I feel more comfortable flashing the ENG HBOOT now, I guess I'll go ahead and flash it after I've rooted it, thank you.

G

GuestK00102

When I try to flash the recovery it says the syntax of the command is incorrect.
No I am not putting in the quotes, I even copied and pasted it and put the name of the recovery in there, I keep getting the same error. What to do?

shadowofzeus

Dec 20, 2009
McAllen
When I try to flash the recovery it says the syntax of the command is incorrect.
No I am not putting in the quotes, I even copied and pasted it and put the name of the recovery in there, I keep getting the same error. What to do?

Can you press ctrl alt print scrn on your keyboard and upload the picture of your command prompt please and let me look at it.

G

GuestK00102

alright type it just like this

fastboot flash recovery rec.img

TY :)

Why did you remove the <>, should I do that for the rest of the commands?
Something to do with win 7?
In CWM Recovery I'm getting a bunch of errors.
E: failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command

etc etc and it continues. What'd I do wrong?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Shadowofzeus Guide to flashing CM7 SRC (Source) on Windows revision 2

Disclaimer: I am by no means responsible if you brick your phone doing this. Flashing new roms can cause problems with your phone, as can flashing new recoveries, but I cannot foresee you bricking your phone by doing this. Even if you screw up flashing a recovery image you should be able to just flash the old image back and things should be back to normal. I will answer any questions you might have as I am sure many other forum members will too.

First off you must be fully rooted if you are not then you need to get there including having the ENG bootloader. Here is a link on how to get to that point.

G2 Wiki Root and ENG HBoot method

Second download the android sdk for windows from

Android Developers SDK Site

I recommend this file installer_r08-windows.exe because it is easier to work with. The nice thing about the windows files is it comes with fastboot in the package already.

Third if you are not comfortable with fastboot, adb, ClockworkMod Recovery, and windows command prompt then maybe this is not the right thing for you to be doing.

Fourth you need to understand a few things.

As of right now if you decide to bite the bullet and go and try this beta of the release client remember that Cyanogen and his team are not supporting it. Also this is not really meant to be a everyday driver sort of rom. It works well enough to be, but some releases break things so remember that.

Fifth, you will not as of when I am writing this be able to flash back to any of the Foyo roms because the new version of Clockwork Mod Recovery still seems to have trouble flashing them. Gingerbread requires the rom to be flashed to a partition with ext4 files scheme which Foyo is not compatible with. So if you want to fall back you will need to flash back to an older version of ClockworkMod Recovery.
    And finally Clockwork Mod Recovery is not the same thing as Rom Manager. Rom Manager is a visual front end for some of the features of Clockwork Mod Recovery. Its version number is independent of ClockworkMod Recovery.

Screenshot of Rom Manger

picture.php

Screenshot of Clockwork Mod Recovery

picture.php

Okay now to the tutorial.

The tutorial is based on the idea of a clean flash. Meaning that all of your apps will be erased and will need to be downloaded again. I recommend that you do a Titanium backup and restore you apps after you're done flashing for the first time. Titanium backup is available in the market.

First download a recovery img, rom and gapps package from ether

gridlock32404's site

Recovery Images

Roms

Google Apps

or

rhcp0112345's site

Everything in one place

and Now the Nightlies!

Rom Look for Vision

Recovery

Once everything is downloaded. Go to where you downloaded the files and copy them to the tools folder of where you installed your android sdk.

Now open a command prompt window by ether typing in “cmd” in the run box on the start menu (windows XP) or in the search box on the start menu (Windows Vista, 7).

picture.php

Also you can go to “start menu > programs > accessories > command prompt”.

picture.php

Now on the command prompt type cd < the path to your android sdk tool's folder> and hit enter.

picture.php

Now type

“adb reboot bootloader”

picture.php

Once it loads and says “fastboot usb” type

“fastboot flash recovery <name of recovery.img file>”

picture.php

You will see some text about sending the file and flashing successfully.

Then type

“fastboot erase system -w”

picture.php

This will erase your system and some personal setting so that you can flash with a clean install.

Next on the fastboot screen press the power button to go to the bootloader screen.

Wait for it to load and then press down on the volume down button once and then press the power button.

Wait for it to load in to you new ClockworkMod Recovery Version 3.0.0.5

Now we need to do somethings first before flashing the rom and Gapps.

Hopefully you know how to navigate ClockworkMod if not then this really is not the best thing for you to be doing. Scroll down to “wipe data/factory reset” and select it. Let it do its thing.

Then scroll down to “wipe cache partition” again let it do its thing. Next scroll down to advance and select it. Here select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” and let it again do its thing.

Ok now hit the power button to go back to the root menu. From here click on “install zip from sdcard”.

Ok now its time to transfer the file to your phone.

<Side note if you would perfer to transfer the files using the mount usb setting here is a tutorial on how to set it up by Ganii

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=901449
    >

Type in the command prompt window.

“adb push <name of the rom> sdcard/”

picture.php

This will take a few minutes depending on your computer and your sdcard.

Once it finishes type

“adb push <name of gapps package> sdcard/”

picture.php

Let it do its thing.

Now back on the phone you should see the “choose zip form sdcard” Select it and scroll down till you see the name of the rom you pushed using adb.

Select it and then scroll down to “Yes – Install <name of rom file>” and select it.

Lets begin the file install.

Now there are two way to do the next part, you can ether install the gapps package with out mounting the system and data partitions or you can mount them and install that way. I will be doing it using the mounting method because I know that works.

Now once the rom file installs it drops you back to the “Apply update from .zip file on SD card” menu
    Press the back button and it should take you back to the root menu. On the root menu scroll down and select the “mounts and storage”

On this menu screen select “mount /system” and then “mount /data” next press the power button to go back.

Then scroll back down to “install zip from sdcard” and repeat the flashing sequence that we used for the rom but select the file for the gapps.

After it flashes press the power button to go back to the root menu and scroll down to “advanced”

On the Advance menu select “Fix Permissions”

Let it do its thing.

Once it is done then press the power button to get back to the root menu. Select “reboot system now”
    and wait and see if it works.

I hope this has helped clear up some confusion people have been having with all of this.

Shadowofzeus