Question Rooting Sony's e-reader DPT-RP1 and DPT-CP1

Search This thread

sartrism

Oct 24, 2010
Cambridge
Update (5/18/2019)

Since the first tool was released, HappyZ has improved many features so I think I can just refer to

* HappyZ's rooting guide: https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/wiki/The-Ultimate-Rooting-Guide
- The only thing I want to add as Windows user is (because the guide is for Mac/Linux users) it gets much easier if you use Linux terminal like cygwin, and the port name should be something like COM# where # can be found in Device Manager by comparing before/after you attach the device.

* HappyZ's upgrade guide: https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/wiki/The-Upgrade-Guide (Recommend to read this before/after you update the new firmware.)

You may donate a cup of coffee to him there :) Thanks to all others who contributed a lot.

--
Update (12/02/2018) -- These are outdated.
Finally we manage to root the device! Many thanks to all of your efforts.

Just refer to HappyZ's well written guide: https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools

For whom have never used python like me (and probably using Windows):
(1) Install Python 3 and add it to PATH.
(2) Install MINGW64 and run scripts here instead of Powershell due to xxd issue if you are on Windows.
(2) pip httpsig pyserial on bash.
(3) Download HappyZ's dpt-tools and unzip.
(4* this issue is fixed by HappZ)
(5) Follow HappyZ's guide. You should execute dpt-tools.py in the folder you unzipped to use get-su-bin because of how the script is written.

Some suggestions after rooting (let me know if you have better ideas):

Here is my setup: install "E-ink Launcher" and "Multi action home button" using adb install.
Use adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN to change the main launcher to your launcher.
Then change the setting of Multi Action Home button (say, the height should be large to be visible in the bottom) and assign its function to be Home for click and Back for double-click.
Whenever you want to use Sony's apps (these are good for pdf markup), just push the home button to open the pop-up menu.
Otherwise, touch the Multi Action Home Button to access to other Android apps. So far I've never experience any crash.

Yet more tips:
Some complain fonts are too small after installing generic apps.
adb shell wm density 320 changes your DPI by 2 times (160 is a default value.) EDIT: I found 200 is quite enough that does not distort Sony apps too much.
My application is using "Tasker" to execute the above code when specific apps are open and execute wm density reset when the apps are closed.
The reason why we cannot change the global DPI is sadly because it makes the default apps by Sony so awkward.
Alternatively, I could successfully install Xposed to try App Settings but this app crashed.

You can also install Gboard (but it has no hide button, so prepare with virtual back button) if you need another keyboard.

Enjoy your DPT devices :)

--
Sony recently released a new digital paper device DPT-RP1, apparently using their own linux firmware but underlying on Android 5.1.1. Few weeks ago, some Chinese successfully hacked it to jailbreak for third-party apps (without changing the original firmware), but they don't share any information to sell those hacked devices. I'm willing to pay for it, but it is too risky to send my device to China so I'm trying to root it by myself.

I don't know much about this world, but I found some information that might be helpful. It uses Marvell A140 IoT Processor a.k.a. PXA1908. There are two Android smartphones (as the same version 5.1.1) with this chip - Samsung Xcover 3 and Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Fortunately, they have been both rooted in the past here.

Is this information really helpful to root my device? If so, is there any way to apply the previous methods to easily jailbreak DPT-RP1? I think the problem here is that it does not look like Android at all, so has no setting menu or developer tools. And not sure how to enter to the recovery mode since it only has two buttons - power/menu.

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

Last edited:

buzic

May 16, 2019
I'm not knowledgeable enough to do this but is there any way you could modify the package to provide a way to access the shell without the OTG cable? I personally don't have a soldering iron but would love to root mine. Could maybe include an SSH server (and assume that anyone who wants to root it knows how to secure it further), or ADB, or possibly enable the debug port in normal mode.

In fact, it probably has ADB already and is just disabled.

Lord of the forum, good afternoon! I am in Moldova. I recently bought a sony dpt rp1. Looking for step by step instructions with screenshots. Please, who can help, I will be grateful. I don’t know English (((((. I really need to install an android. I tried to re-read all the messages from the forum thread, but I still can’t figure out how to do it. Thanks in advance to everyone, especially the team who could solve the Android installation problem on sony dpt rp1 .

Reactions: pacodepanam

sartrism

Oct 24, 2010
Cambridge

Naz6uL

May 20, 2019
RP1 Rooted - Kindle App version??

Hi guys, so after sucessfuly rooted my DPT-RP1, I'm trying the diffrents Kindle app versions, so far the bets one had been the just 2.0 Mb Lite version, but is not quite good due some issues displaying the library content.

Has anybody found out a better version to use on it and if possible share it?

pacodepanam

Dec 27, 2013
Lord of the forum, good afternoon! I am in Moldova. I recently bought a sony dpt rp1. Looking for step by step instructions with screenshots. Please, who can help, I will be grateful. I don’t know English (((((. I really need to install an android. I tried to re-read all the messages from the forum thread, but I still can’t figure out how to do it. Thanks in advance to everyone, especially the team who could solve the Android installation problem on sony dpt rp1 .

Hello guys,

Great work there. It looked like the retro engineering work was a hassle.
It's true that some rookie tutorial, ideally in video, would help to get our mind around where we are jumping into with the routing described in Github.

I'm sure many would love to see that.

Thanks again for the work!

Cheers,

Paco

jra1662

Jan 6, 2019
I have had some success with solving the battery drain issue. I am using an app called Autostarts and preventing some behind the scenes programs from running. It is VERY difficult to navigate on e-paper. I had to download it on another device to see the menu options and tap blindly on the DPT.

So far I have primarily disabled 'Google Play Services' and 'Cell Broadcasts' in multiple locations and this appears to have extended the battery life significantly when on wi-fi.

I am sure I have not achieved optimal battery life yet, but I am thrilled with the results so far! Perhaps others can contribute their findings as well.

Last edited:

yanzi

May 28, 2010

I suppose you can use google translate to translate this wiki page.. https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/wiki/The-Ultimate-Rooting-Guide

I'm not planning to record videos as the steps are extremely simple now. And it shall hardly brick your device, unless you did something in diagnosis mode, which you never need to use during the process..

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Update (5/18/2019)

Since the first tool was released, HappyZ has improved many features so I think I can just refer to

* HappyZ's rooting guide: https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/wiki/The-Ultimate-Rooting-Guide
- The only thing I want to add as Windows user is (because the guide is for Mac/Linux users) it gets much easier if you use Linux terminal like cygwin, and the port name should be something like COM# where # can be found in Device Manager by comparing before/after you attach the device.

Please make changes to the wiki at your wish. I think it's open to public and anyone can change it (with github account).

buzic

May 16, 2019
DPT rp1 - root successfully

I used the instruction from HappyZ for which I am very grateful to him. True, I used the help of my friend programmer and the image of the MACOS Installed on the vm player.
After receiving the root, it is a pleasure to work with a book.
Only there are two questions:
1. How to install multilingual keyboard layout.?
2. How to connect a blutouth keyboard?
I want to make myself a typewriter.
Thanks for any hints.

digiflash

Oct 17, 2007
I rooted my DPT-RP1 but now want to undo this root. I wasn't that successful. Currently I can't pair via USB. Getting Error code messages (code will be provided). I did a soft-reset which doesn't change boot settings.
Is there any working tutorial to unroot and hard-reset the device?

yanzi

May 28, 2010
I rooted my DPT-RP1 but now want to undo this root. I wasn't that successful. Currently I can't pair via USB. Getting Error code messages (code will be provided). I did a soft-reset which doesn't change boot settings.
Is there any working tutorial to unroot and hard-reset the device?

to unroot the Android, just flash the modded official pkg @ https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/wiki/PKGs-I-Made#officials (since you don't have usb access to Android somehow, you can get into diagnosis mode, and follow my script instructions to do `install-pkg`)
and do a soft reset afterwards (using system setting -> "initialize DPT device")

if in any case it has crashes after you flash the modded official pkg, after getting into the Android system, do a hard reset by pressing the reset button for x seconds

and just fyi, it is easy to unroot for the Android system part, but not that easy to "unroot" the diagnosis mode.

Last edited:

Higgins_DE

Mar 9, 2017
Gents, this is a little off topic, apologies. I have a DPT-RP1 in Europe. Play Store doesn't let me install Sony's Android app. Any chance anyone of you could post the apk? Many thanks.

jra1662

Jan 6, 2019
Satrism and HappyZ,

Thank you for the work you've done for the DPT-RP1. I'm currently running the v1.6.00.15110 firmware WITH ADB and Launcher built in. I haven't noticed any of the flaws/bugs, but will you be releasing the new 1.6.02 firmware with ADB and Launcher built into the firmware like before? Thanks!

88%

Aug 14, 2012
Private server?

I'd love to get a DPT-R1, but I'd need to keep it synced (2-way) with a private server. It seems that I could do this through something like Syncthing now that these geniuses have managed to get root working on the device (respect!)

Would anyone recommend against rooting for only this purpose?

If the only 3rd party app I'm running is something like Syncthing, should I expect to have similar performance to the Stock reader when highlighting or making notes?

Does encryption still work after rooting?

Has anyone got a similar set up? How do you like it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update (5/18/2019)

* HappyZ's upgrade guide: https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/wiki/The-Upgrade-Guide (Recommend to read this before/after you update the new firmware.)

You may donate a cup of coffee to him there :) Thanks to all others who contributed a lot.

--
    Update (12/02/2018) -- These are outdated.
    Finally we manage to root the device! Many thanks to all of your efforts.

Just refer to HappyZ's well written guide: https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools

For whom have never used python like me (and probably using Windows):
    (1) Install Python 3 and add it to PATH.
    (2) Install MINGW64 and run scripts here instead of Powershell due to xxd issue if you are on Windows.
    (2) pip httpsig pyserial on bash.
    (3) Download HappyZ's dpt-tools and unzip.
    (4* this issue is fixed by HappZ)
    (5) Follow HappyZ's guide. You should execute dpt-tools.py in the folder you unzipped to use get-su-bin because of how the script is written.

Some suggestions after rooting (let me know if you have better ideas):

Here is my setup: install "E-ink Launcher" and "Multi action home button" using adb install.
    Use adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN to change the main launcher to your launcher.
    Then change the setting of Multi Action Home button (say, the height should be large to be visible in the bottom) and assign its function to be Home for click and Back for double-click.
    Whenever you want to use Sony's apps (these are good for pdf markup), just push the home button to open the pop-up menu.
    Otherwise, touch the Multi Action Home Button to access to other Android apps. So far I've never experience any crash.

Yet more tips:
    Some complain fonts are too small after installing generic apps.
    adb shell wm density 320 changes your DPI by 2 times (160 is a default value.) EDIT: I found 200 is quite enough that does not distort Sony apps too much.
    My application is using "Tasker" to execute the above code when specific apps are open and execute wm density reset when the apps are closed.
    The reason why we cannot change the global DPI is sadly because it makes the default apps by Sony so awkward.
    Alternatively, I could successfully install Xposed to try App Settings but this app crashed.

You can also install Gboard (but it has no hide button, so prepare with virtual back button) if you need another keyboard.

Enjoy your DPT devices :)

--
    Sony recently released a new digital paper device DPT-RP1, apparently using their own linux firmware but underlying on Android 5.1.1. Few weeks ago, some Chinese successfully hacked it to jailbreak for third-party apps (without changing the original firmware), but they don't share any information to sell those hacked devices. I'm willing to pay for it, but it is too risky to send my device to China so I'm trying to root it by myself.

I don't know much about this world, but I found some information that might be helpful. It uses Marvell A140 IoT Processor a.k.a. PXA1908. There are two Android smartphones (as the same version 5.1.1) with this chip - Samsung Xcover 3 and Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Fortunately, they have been both rooted in the past here.

Is this information really helpful to root my device? If so, is there any way to apply the previous methods to easily jailbreak DPT-RP1? I think the problem here is that it does not look like Android at all, so has no setting menu or developer tools. And not sure how to enter to the recovery mode since it only has two buttons - power/menu.

I'd appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!
    Hi everyone, and many thanks to the people who are putting lots of efforts into freeing the DPT-RP1 software.

I am ready to hack my own device. However, I would like first to ask @shankerzhiwu if he/she could explain how the modified firmware was generated? Is there a source for it, that I could compile myself? Or is it just some manual edit of Sony's official firmware?

Also, I would find it interesting if anyone has a particular tip on creating an OTG cable with the right configuration for this operation. I guess I could do it all by myself by following a tutorial, but I would find it reassuring if someone could share their experience about their own method of manufacturing the cable.

Again, many thanks to everyone involved.

About the OTG cable, I have no shortcut available. Pinout of micro usb plugs can be found on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_(Physical)#Pinouts . The 7.87 k resistor should be soldered between ID(PIN 4) and GND(PIN 5). Alternately, you can also use a 7.5k resistor. Since such resistor value is beyond OTG standard, you have to do the solder work. For simplicity, a breakout board can be used like www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sparkfun-electronics/BOB-10031/1568-1192-ND/5673778 . Moreover, you can also choose to only solder the resistor itself without a USB cable. If so, after the gray rect is shown on the screen, the OTG plug can be safely disconnected and a normal USB to micro USB cable can be used to connect the DPT to your computer.

The detailed steps for entering diagnose mode are :

1. Power off your DPT.
    2. Connect the OTG cable.
    2. Press and hold the Home button.
    3. With the Home button pressed, press and release the Power button.
    4. Continue holding the Home button. See if anything is shown on the screen.
    4.a. If "Welcome" screen shows, which means that the Home button is not detected pressed when booting, go back to step 1.
    4.b. If nothing is shown on the screen and the power LED is also not flashing, which means that you are too nervous to trigger the power button -- your DPT is not powered on at all, go back to step 3.
    4.c. if nothing is shown on the screen and the power LED keeps flashing, then the Home button can be released.
    5. Wait for about 12 seconds. See if anything is shown on the screen.
    5.a. If the screen flashes blank and the power LED stops flashing and turns off, which means that the id resistor is not soldered well (ill-connected or wrong value)., check your OTG cable and go back to step 2.
    5.b. if a gray rect is shown on the screen, the device is now in diagnose mode
    6. If a USB cable is not soldered with the micro USB plug, you can now unplug it and use a normal micro USB cable to connect the DPT with your computer.
    7. A USB modem device should now be detected on the computer. Use a serial terminal software to access the diagnose tty.
    Rooted DPT-RP1

I have kicked my DPT-RP1 into diagnose mode.

The method is plugging an OTG cable whose ID pin is soldered with 7.87 k resistor to GND. Press and hold home button while the device is booting up. Finally you will get a gray rectangle at the center of the screen. On the computer, a USB modem device will be detected and a login tty will be on that tty.

Now, the question arises that we need to crack the login password. The shadow hash is
    Code:
    $6$HtJrWqxU$gJtuFqZLU/tOwjrXY1dxLgh021mKpNlI4wOn8eEkiD3qj7Tb69.iKNh6KpzE6rotBaCGPH3PjYDKPbmHaaDCw1

Does anyone have any idea on that hash?

h97Bo1b.jpg

q6qSjnO.png

Hi, all I have ROOTed my DPT-RP1 (in fact., my friend's). Here is a brief guide:

Before rooting:

1. Make a usb OTG cable described in the quoted post, aka. an OTG cable whose ID pin is soldered with 7.87 k resistor to GND.
    2. Make sure that you can reproduce the steps described in the quoted post and get a login tty.
    3. Press the reset button with a sim-ejector or so to put the device in normal mode. Don't worry, you won't lose your user data.
    4. Prepare dpt-rp1-py tool (https://github.com/janten/dpt-rp1-py), make sure you can communicate with your DPT with that tool.

Rooting steps:

1. Download the modified firmware. Sha256sum is 5b9a10201d1cf29fbb072ebbfed517d22ddc00f014aef3ee816e43c2932e3803.
    2. "Flash" the firmware into the device using `dptrp1 update`.
    3. After flashing, the device will complain that firmware upgrading has failed.
    4. Power off the device, and kick your device into diagnose mode. The password for root is set to `12345`
    5. Now you have FULL control over your own device. Do whatever you want.

The download link for the modified firmware is https://gofile.io/?c=ezd8UX
    Hi everyone, and many thanks to the people who are putting lots of efforts into freeing the DPT-RP1 software.

I am ready to hack my own device. However, I would like first to ask @shankerzhiwu if he/she could explain how the modified firmware was generated? Is there a source for it, that I could compile myself? Or is it just some manual edit of Sony's official firmware?

Also, I would find it interesting if anyone has a particular tip on creating an OTG cable with the right configuration for this operation. I guess I could do it all by myself by following a tutorial, but I would find it reassuring if someone could share their experience about their own method of manufacturing the cable.

Again, many thanks to everyone involved.

It is manually modified from official FactoryReset.pkg. You can find it at https://github.com/octavianx/Unpack-and-rebuild-the-DPT-RP1-upgrade-firmware

By reading the `start_eufwupdater.sh`, you will know why my modified firmware works.

WARNING: If anyone wants to run `start_eufwupdater.sh` or `start_eufwupdater2.sh` with my modified firmware on his/her own computer, please DO NOT run as root, or the system could be damaged.
    Sorry, but I have no idea how to make such a package. What I can do is only write at most about 230 bytes to an arbitrary file. As a result, the best thing could be to override the file containing the password hash.

BTW, There is no adbd available and it should be compiled and enabled by yourself.

Hi, all
    Good news for guys who do not want to make the OTG cable! I made another firmware to remove the detection of the special id resistor. The download link is https://gofile.io/?c=NE6qV8 and the sha256sum is ce57b43fe59364724580908e967fa4d68eab608a457ad3a3a4a249cd009d3b1d.

Use this firmware ONCE and ONLY ONCE, and the detection of the special id resistor will be removed. To enter diagnose mode, only pressing Home button is needed.

WARNING: I recommend AGAINST the use of this firmware, because I did not test this firmware on a not-rooted device. If something unexpected happens, the firmware may do harm to your diagnose environment, which means including but not limited to:
    * your DPT may not be able do firmware upgrade anymore, or
    * your DPT may get stuck in diagnose mode and cannot boot normally.