Android Device Manager problems...

Search This thread

stianjaco

Mar 20, 2011
I'm trying to use the Android Device Manager, but I only get one device and no options to change..

I have an Samsung Galaxy Nexus with android 4.3 (JWR66V)

Could this have anything to do with me trying to root my device (Nexus Root Toolkit)?
I tried to root, but even though I got a message that my device was rooted, It's still un-rooted (But with unlocked bootloader)

Attachments

• Skjermbilde2.JPG
    Skjermbilde2.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 764
  • Skjermbilde1.JPG
    Skjermbilde1.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,142

UncleMike

Nov 11, 2010
The only device that shows up for me is my son's Nexus 7, which I have a profile on. My Galaxy Nexus doesn't show up and there's no drop down to select it.

What version of the toolkit did you use? If it wasn't the latest version (1.6.8 as of this writing) there may be additional steps required (beyond what's in the toolkit UI) when rooting 4.3.

majorcovert

May 12, 2009
Sweet! I'm not the only one with this problem, But I think I found the fix. It worked for me. I too am running a Galaxy Nexus on 4.3

If your Android device doesn't appear in Android Device Manager, or if you see Unknown location despite your device being online and running Google Play services version 3.2.25 or higher, follow these steps:

1. Open Google Settings from your device's apps menu.
2. Touch Android Device Manager.
3. Uncheck Allow remote factory reset.
4. Go to your device's main Settings menu, then touch Apps > All > Google Play services.
5. Touch Clear Data. Note that this action doesn't remove personal data.
6. Go back to Google Settings and select Allow remote factory reset.
7. Restart your device.

Make sure you follow the directiions exactly or it won't work

pandorra

Jun 7, 2011
Sweet! I'm not the only one with this problem, But I think I found the fix. It worked for me. I too am running a Galaxy Nexus on 4.3

If your Android device doesn't appear in Android Device Manager, or if you see Unknown location despite your device being online and running Google Play services version 3.2.25 or higher, follow these steps:

4. Go to your device's main Settings menu, then touch Apps > All > Google Play services.
7. Restart your device.

doesnt work for me.....

Reactions: stlkevin7

stianjaco

Mar 20, 2011
Dude!!!! Thanks a million times!!!!!!

sweet! I'm not the only one with this problem, but i think i found the fix. It worked for me. I too am running a galaxy nexus on 4.3

if your android device doesn't appear in android device manager, or if you see unknown location despite your device being online and running google play services version 3.2.25 or higher, follow these steps:

1. Open google settings from your device's apps menu.
2. Touch android device manager.
3. Uncheck allow remote factory reset.
4. Go to your device's main settings menu, then touch apps > all > google play services.
5. Touch clear data. Note that this action doesn't remove personal data.
6. Go back to google settings and select allow remote factory reset.
7. Restart your device.

Reactions: hasmukh007

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Has anyone else had the situation where all devices were initially showing up in Android Device Manager, but no longer show up? Mine was working fine for a few days, and then out of nowhere, both my N4 and N10 disappeared from the web, and I'm getting the "No Active Devices" message. I tried the above tip, but it didn't work for me.

mbwelch

May 9, 2010
Has anyone else had the situation where all devices were initially showing up in Android Device Manager, but no longer show up? Mine was working fine for a few days, and then out of nowhere, both my N4 and N10 disappeared from the web, and I'm getting the "No Active Devices" message. I tried the above tip, but it didn't work for me.

Both my N4 and N10 originally worked too, not just my N10 shows up. What's more disturbing is my N4 also disappeared from the Play Store on the web and my devices in my Google account dashboard.

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Both my N4 and N10 originally worked too, not just my N10 shows up. What's more disturbing is my N4 also disappeared from the Play Store on the web and my devices in my Google account dashboard.

Very weird. I haven't had either device disappear from the Play Store, but nothing I do will make them show up again in the Device Manager. Oh well. Guess I'm sticking with Cerberus as my anti-theft solution for now.

xdp

Nov 30, 2010

Same here, devices were showing fine just yesterday, now suddenly my GNex and Nexus 10 are both gone from the Play Store and ADM. What gives Google.

CJSnet

Oct 1, 2005
www.superhighstreet.com

Yes, same with my N4. I'm not rooted. Neither is my phone ;)

I've tried the instructions above 3 times and still it says "No active devices". Booo Google! Boo.

As with the other users, my N4 also no longer appears on the Play Store, so I can't install apps via a desktop browser any more. I guess the Play Store is now relying on Android Device Manager, which it shouldn't because it's clearly buggy as hell.

God forbid I lose my phone at this stage, having uninstalled Seekdroid. :-/

abhishek_ab

Dec 3, 2012

7. Restart your device.

worked for me thanks

jaizero

Oct 14, 2009
La Crosse, WI
This might be a given but... Do you guys that are having issues have location services activated in Google Settings and also in your phone settings? I've noticed on more than one 4.3 ROM this gets shut off for some reason.. Also you need to accept the agreement to turn location services on. Just something to check.

Reactions: nyijedi

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY

This might be a given but... Do you guys that are having issues have location services activated in Google Settings and also in your phone settings? I've noticed on more than one 4.3 ROM this gets shut off for some reason.. Also you need to accept the agreement to turn location services on. Just something to check.

Woohoo! I got my N4 working! The original steps alone DID NOT work for me. I tried them multiple times. However, a combination of adding the steps of disabling all location services and re-enabling them, as well as clearing data for Google Services Framework and Google Play Store (in addition to clearing data for Google Play Services and performing the other suggested steps) did the trick. I did a bunch of rebooting after most of these steps, but I don't remember exactly when (sorry). I did not have to remove/add my Google account.

I still have to get my N10 to be detected. I'll do this when I get a chance, and I'll pay closer attention to which steps fixed the issue.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

7. Restart your device.

So these are the steps that I did to get Android Device Manager to see my N10. Some of these steps and/or reboots very well may be unneeded, but I'm giving an exact step-by-step of what got it working for me:

1) In Google Settings, uncheck "Allow Remote Factory Reset" in Android Device Manager setting
    2) Reboot
    3) Clear data for Google Play Services, Google Play Store, and Google Services Framework
    4) Reboot
    5) In Google Settings, check "Access Location" in Google Location Settings (note that although we didn't disable this earlier, clearing data in the above Google apps appears to disable it automatically)
    6) Check "Location Reporting" in Google Location Services (note that this isn't automatically enabled from the previous step)
    7) Reboot
    8) In Google Settings, check "Allow Remote Factory Reset" in Android Device Manager setting
    9) Open Google Play and accept TOS
    10) Reboot
    11) In the main settings, make sure "Access to my location" is turned on
    12) Profit

7. Restart your device.

doesnt work for me.....
    Dude!!!! Thanks a million times!!!!!!

sweet! I'm not the only one with this problem, but i think i found the fix. It worked for me. I too am running a galaxy nexus on 4.3

if your android device doesn't appear in android device manager, or if you see unknown location despite your device being online and running google play services version 3.2.25 or higher, follow these steps:

1. Open google settings from your device's apps menu.
    2. Touch android device manager.
    3. Uncheck allow remote factory reset.
    4. Go to your device's main settings menu, then touch apps > all > google play services.
    5. Touch clear data. Note that this action doesn't remove personal data.
    6. Go back to google settings and select allow remote factory reset.
    7. Restart your device.