The AT&T Jelly Bean Release Thread (4.1.1 released; Kies and OTA)

Search This thread

vagosto

Apr 24, 2010
Fairfax, VA
Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but I really don't think it's going to be 4.2.
I think you guys are day dreaming ;)

EDIT : Best case scenario, it's going to be 4.1.2 ... which I think is much more plausible.

I'm with you, best case scenario it will be 4.1.2. If AT&T is jumping directly to 4.2 then the release date won't be soon. 4.2 is barely out there.

kgbkny

Aug 15, 2009
New York
Updated 1st post with results.

Thank you ALL for tweeting. At least we've changed their standard answer. And I think when they say "very near future," we're talking within the next week (my prediction); definitely before 2012 and way before Christmas, at the least, I think.

They took time to add the word "very" to their responses; why do that? They can't be that sadistic to write "very" and then wait until the end of December. Their scale of time can't be that off.

And, they tweeted to two people that the update was going to be 4.2; combine this with that now-closed thread from an AT&T employee stating it was 4.2. Guys, I think things are shaping up very well here. :D

~Ibrahim~

You certainly deserve a pat on the back for taking the initiative! Good work! :highfive:

Here are a couple of observations that seem to put doubt on their 4.2 claim:

1. Google just released 4.2 two weeks ago, and it's hard to believe that AT&T is rolling it out in the "very near future". 4.1 was officially released in July, but AT&T has been testing it since May. This leads me to believe that we will wait at least 6-7 months before we get anywhere near 4.2.

2. 4.2 had several major bugs when it was released. As of yesterday, Google began pushing out 4.2.1 to the Nexus devices, in order to rectify these bugs. Since AT&T is so concerned with (bloatware) compatibility, I highly doubt they'll release 4.2 in its current state.

With that being said, I am curious to finally see what AT&T considers to be "very near future".

Reactions: ikjadoon

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
You certainly deserve a pat on the back for taking the initiative! Good work! :highfive:

1. Google just released 4.2 two weeks ago, and it's hard to believe that AT&T is rolling it out in the "very near future". 4.1 was officially released in July, but AT&T has been testing it since May. This leads me to believe that we will wait at least 6-7 months before we get anywhere near 4.2.

2. 4.2 had several major bugs when it was released. As of yesterday, Google began pushing out 4.2.1 to the Nexus devices, in order to rectify these bugs. Since AT&T is so concerned with (bloatware) compatibility, I highly doubt they'll release 4.2 in its current state.

With that being said, I am curious to finally see what AT&T considers to be "very near future".

Ps they could have delayed if they were gonna release 4.2 let's say bit with all the bugs they were waiting for the 4.2 1?

from my SGS3 while my nexus 7 rests

RobbieL811

Oct 21, 2012
Savannah, Ga.
OnePlus 9 Pro
I spoke with 2 different reps last night on the live chat thing & they both told me that it was gonna be 4.2. I even asked both of them 2 times "Are you sure it's gonna be 4.2 & not 4.1.2?" & both of them told me that it would be 4.2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
I spoke with 2 different reps last night on the live chat thing & they both told me that it was gonna be 4.2. I even asked both of them 2 times "Are you sure it's gonna be 4.2 & not 4.1.2?" & both of them told me that it would be 4.2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The plot thickens ....dun da daaaaaaaa

sent from my Nexus 7 while my SGS3 rests!

Threezees

Dec 28, 2010
i just went ahead and installed the latest stable CM10... its great except that i cant seem to run samsung apps (specifically wanting to run polaris viewer for office document viewing)... anyone have any idea how to do that?

Unfortunately, you can't. They utilize different frameworks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

kgbkny

Aug 15, 2009
New York
Ps they could have delayed if they were gonna release 4.2 let's say bit with all the bugs they were waiting for the 4.2 1?

Surprised wouldn't be the word to describe how I'd feel if AT&T actually released 4.2. However, Samsung hasn't even released it to their unlocked models. I think it's just AT&T reps being typically misinformed.

ThreeofNine

Jan 31, 2011
Maryland
Originally Posted by kgbkny
You certainly deserve a pat on the back for taking the initiative! Good work!

4.2 just MIGHT be the AT&T update! Look at #1 above "4.1 was officially released in July, but AT&T has been testing it since May" So that means the carriers get the new software 2-3 months before it is release by Google? And Google is releasing 4.2.1 for the nexus 4, 7, 10 now! And Samsung released 4.1 to the rest of the world in Sept-Oct. (too soon for another update?) Why couldn't AT&T and even Verizon jump 4.1.x and go straight to 4.2.1? Their bloatware probably didn't need to be changed that much from 4.1 compatibility to be 4.2 compatible IMHO. We'll just have to wait and see what we get!!!!!!!!!! (it feels like Christmas!):laugh:

Last edited:

MrFanta5stic

Oct 11, 2012
Well, if by some chance we get 4.2 in the next week or two, I would be satisfied, granted I don't know why they would release that without the 4.2.1 that was just released.

Also, Samsung's website now shows that the AT&T version of the S3 comes with 4.1 but the buy now link takes you to bestbuy which still shows 4.0. No one seems to be on the same page...

troycarpenter

Originally Posted by kgbkny
You certainly deserve a pat on the back for taking the initiative! Good work!

4.2 just MIGHT be the AT&T update! Look at #1 above "4.1 was officially released in July, but AT&T has been testing it since May" So that means the carriers get the new software 2-3 months before it is release by Google? And Google is releasing 4.2.1 for the nexus 4, 7, 10 now! And Samsung released 4.1 to the rest of the world in Sept-Oct. (too soon for another update?) Why couldn't AT&T and even Verizon jump 4.1.x and go straight to 4.2.1? Their bloatware probably didn't need to be changed that much from 4.1 compatibility to be 4.2 compatible IMHO. We'll just have to wait and see what we get!!!!!!!!!! (it feels like Christmas!):laugh:

We can all hope for some Christmas magic, but I think it's more likely that the internal AT&T announcement got it wrong, which is why so many AT&T contacts are consistently saying the 4.2 number. If you ask them if they are sure, they will of course tell you yes if that's what they were told, and not think to double check or question the internal memo.

Reactions: ikjadoon

slicetwo

Sep 23, 2012
www.radioactivesandwich.com
Looks like we're getting 4.2 "soon"

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354139232112.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354139232112.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 413

matthewmcquay

Nov 29, 2011
Andalusia, AL
I just got through chatting with Samsung and AT&T reps. Both told me they hadn't heard of anything/seen anything even when I showed them the links on both of their pages. AT&T said they didn't have any info. Here is the Samsung Chatlog:

Alison: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: I'm checking into the Android Jelly Bean update for the AT&T S3...

Alison: I understand that you want to know the update information for Jelly Bean for your device. Is that correct?

Visitor: yes.

Alison: Thank you.

Alison: Let me know if you are referring to SGH_I747 model number.

Visitor: yes i747

Visitor: because I see this on Samsung's page..http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-I747MBBATT-specs

Alison: Thank you for the model number.

Visitor: but this on AT&T's twitter.....https://twitter.com/ATTCustomerCare/status/273521342136057856

Alison: I should inform you that, you can find the model number in the About Phone of your device. You can also find the model number beneath Battery.

Visitor: I understand that. I'm just wondering about the next software upgrade because I see different things...I'm confused as to which version
Samsung released to AT&T for AT&T to add bloatware...uh...I mean, "valuable apps" that no one buys...

Alison: I will be glad to assist you in this regard.

Alison: May I know the current Baseband version on the phone?

Visitor: i747uclh9

Alison: Thank you for the Baseband version.

Visitor: yeah no problem

Alison: I should inform you that, currently this mobile device is operating on Android version 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich

Visitor: Yes Mam, I know

Alison: Software updates will automatically download to your phone with an option to install now or install later. If you choose install now, your phone will reboot and begin installation; just follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the update. If you choose install later, you will receive reminders once or twice a day to install the update until it is complete.

Visitor: I'm interested in the JellyBean update that has been released to AT&T to test internally (from what I've read). I was more interested in a release date time frame as AT&T says they don't have it but the Samsung page I linked to earlier in the conversation says otherwise.

Alison: I am sorry to inform you that, as of now we do not have any information when the update will be released. However, when the update is available you can get the information about the update in the Samsung website.

Visitor: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SGH-I747MBBATT-specs under platform it says Android 4.1 JellyBean. That is a Samsung page.

Alison: I will provide you with the web link, for the information regarding the firmware version on your device.

Visitor: The one with the Andoid JellyBean picture with the carriers posted underneath? It says AT&T Coming soon

Alison: Yes, i would like to inform you that the Jelly Bean update is coming soon which is through carrier.

Alison: Software updates are available OTA (Over the Air) and are 'pushed' to devices in stages. Mobile device selection is random.

So, nothing I didn't already know. I wish they'd just be honest and tell us what version, why it's taking so long, etc.

ikjadoon

Jul 4, 2012
Lenovo P11
We can all hope for some Christmas magic, but I think it's more likely that the internal AT&T announcement got it wrong, which is why so many AT&T contacts are consistently saying the 4.2 number. If you ask them if they are sure, they will of course tell you yes if that's what they were told, and not think to double check or question the internal memo.

Alas, that's a great point. What's more likely: AT&T getting an update before Samsung officially releases it or someone making a typo?

Then, if it was a typo, then they care so little about Android that they can't get the version number right (though it is a little confusing with 4.1.1, 4.1.2, 4.2, and now 4.2.1 and they're all called Jelly Bean).

UPDATE: I've contacted the anonymous source to see if he can verify what version was being tested and if any subsequent tests came). I'll update as soon as I hear.

Last edited:

vagosto

Apr 24, 2010
Fairfax, VA
I just got through chatting with Samsung and AT&T reps. Both told me they hadn't heard of anything/seen anything even when I showed them the links on both of their pages. AT&T said they didn't have any info. Here is the Samsung Chatlog:

So, nothing I didn't already know. I wish they'd just be honest and tell us what version, why it's taking so long, etc.

It looks like the chat was with one of those bot "customer reps" and not a real person. the responses are just too scripted.

AndreaCristiano

Dec 13, 2010
Freehold, New Jersey
This isnt really about the release date but do we known if Google now is in the touch wiz version of jellybean? If its not I'm out ta here and to the nexus 4

sent from my Nexus 7 while my SGS3 rests!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    4.1.1 is out and, contrary to what Samsung said, the update is available on Kies and OTA! Yes, OTA is here!

Congrats to Corey_r and longcat14 for winning the pool. No one else even had a chance, haha. :)

To enter and/or view the Release Date Pool, check the 2nd post.

"One thread to rule them all..."

Instructions: Post all yo rumors, rants, and revelations about the upcoming AT&T Jelly Bean update here.

Official release date from Samsung: "Coming Soon!"
    (last checked on 11/30; source)

Official release date from AT&T: "...very near future."
    (last checked on 11/30; source; thanks, Randun)

Anonymous Source: Samsung's AT&T GS3 Jelly Bean User Trials started in May and have been completed; we're just waiting on AT&T. The ROM should be in its final stages of testing soon.

Jelly Bean Version: Most likely 4.1 Before 11/28, chatter from multiple official AT&T sources stated 4.2 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) However, then AT&T quietly released the above Support Article, which stated 4.1.The Support Article is the most concrete evidence we have, so it will probably be Jelly Bean 4.1. :)

Confirmed Jelly Bean TouchWiz features:

Camera
    • New camera/camcorder filters: warm vintage, cold vintage, black and white, sepia, color highlights(blue, green, red/yellow), and many more.
    • Pause and resume recording
    • Low light mode (uses HDR)
    Phone-wide
    • Pop Up Play can be resized and paused
    • Introduction of Easy Mode: large Easy widgets (for first-time smartphone users)
    • Introduction of Blocking Mode: disable incoming calls, notifications, alarms, and LED indicators for a designated period of time
    • Introduction of Swype® Keyboard (bundled)
    • AllShare® Cast Wireless Hub support
    • NFC One Touch Pairing Support: pair a supported Bluetooth device via NFC
    (source)
    Complete noob.. I finally got kies to connect to my phone, but now it keeps asking me upgrade Kies to the latest version and then upgrade firmware. Once I click the Update Kies button right next to it, it immediately says the latest version is installed. After I do this, it doesnt seem anything has changed and it tells me the current firmware version is android 4.0.4. Anyone else having this issue? Is there a different way for me to update since ive never rooted or messed with stock settings? thanks

So i was able to update my rooted stock ICS phone to the JB but i lost root. Im tempted to try rooting again via odin but worried of messing up my phone.

Could flash stock rooted image here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426
    Maybe if I shove a actual jellybean in my usb port my phone will update itself.

This seems to be a thread for ranting and wild speculation than what the OP has intended. Maybe we should get back on topic before a mod is needed...

Idk why you guys are hassling ATT about the release date. The only people who would know best would be the programmers at Samsung...Just my two cents

Sent from my Galaxy S III

From OP

Instructions: Post all yo rumors, rants, and revelations about the upcoming AT&T Jelly Bean update here.
    Yeah, but unfortunately, we're under a contract to pay AT&T for service. They aren't under a contract to provide updates to our phones unless they are essential to maintaining daily function of the device. This is why carriers shouldn't be determining if/when android updates are released. There is no value added to any tweaks that AT&T makes on the devices.