[App][4.2+] personalDNSfilter - block malware domains, ads and trackers without root

Search This thread

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
•••

You want to block ads, tracking, analytics and malware domains system-wide (in browsers and apps) and don't want root (or you can't root)?

Check out personalDNSfilter by Ingo Zenz @ ZENZ Solutions!

Block ads using hosts file via local VPN connection and custom DNS (optional).

Features:
- Open source
- Supports rooted and non-rooted devices
- Lightweight (<400 KB approx.)
- Negligible RAM consumption (~15 MB approx.)
- Battery friendly
- Inbuilt DNS changer (can use custom DNS)
- Hosts blocking
- Domain blocking
- Supports pattern blocking (ads)
- Supports manual adding domains for whitelisting & blacklisting
- Supports DoH & DoT
- DNSCRYPT-PROXY integration (can start, stop and work together with dnscrypt-proxy)
- Supports application whitelisting for excluded apps from getting filtered
- Can do network wide blocking on your home network (requires root)
- No data mining (your data is your data - privacy first)
- Desktop version for PC & Raspberry Pi
- Also works as a network logger (users can see what domains are being connected to device)

http://www.zenz-solutions.de/personaldnsfilter-wp

F-Droid:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/dnsfilter.android

Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dnsfilter.android

pDNSf_screenshot-736x1536.png

CREDITS:
Coding: Ingo Zenz aka iz-)
UI redesign, icon and website: t-ryder
Translations:
@dogiex, @yshalsager, Lukas Novotny, @Taivotat2, @dugi9991, @Primokorn, @gaich, phihungchrome

•••

Last edited:

ideletejunk

Apr 19, 2009
Just found this, I'm surprised it's not got a following.. light and easy to use, seems a good alternative to dns66 and the likes.

iz-)

Apr 28, 2015
Can we change/edit the local file FILTERHOSTS.TXT?

Will it get downloaded again and over-written?

By default it will be overwritten. But you can add custom filters within the dnsfilter.conf (see filter.host = true|false settings).
Alternativly it is possible to disable the automated filter download so that the FILTERHOST.TXT won´t be overwritten.
Just check dnsfilter.conf file for details. It contains a good documentation of the different settings.

Reactions: t-ryder
Sorry, these might be some dumb questions, but really trying to get this to work on an Android phone running 7.1.1:

1) do I need to check "Advanced settings" in order for those settings to work? If I don't check it, I can't scroll down to view the logs, unless I'm missing something

2) Also, any reason why some of my custom entries in the "Advanced settings" doesn't work? (I put in entries to be filtered and those are still allowed in the log and entries to be allowed, but those are still blocked.) I've hit Reload filter and Restart and sometimes it works, but more often it doesn't.

3) Lastly, any reason why other times my entire "Advanced settings" erases? How can I get those entries to persist?

Thanks for putting this app together, hopefully once I know what's going on I'll be able to use it much better.

Kevin

t-ryder

Feb 23, 2011
www.t-ryder.de
Google Pixel 6
Sorry, these might be some dumb questions, but really trying to get this to work on an ...
Advanced settings unfolds when clicked, set values, untick and the put in values are active but hidden in the GUI. Set a custom reload intervall for testing to see (days until next reload).

Use a text editor to edit the right files inside the pDNSf folder in your storage. You will find examples and descriptions there. Just have a look at the even more advanced settings playing around with the configuration files. Quit the client, edit files, start the client again and reload.

Last edited:

iz-)

Apr 28, 2015
Advanced settings unfolds when clicked, set values, untick and the put in values are active but hidden in the GUI. Set a custom reload intervall for testing to see (days until next reload).

Use a text editor to edit the right files inside the pDNSf folder in your storage. You will find examples and descriptions there. Just have a look at the even more advanced settings playing around with the configuration files. Quit the client, edit files, start the client again and reload.

Yes .... better edit the dnsfilter.cfg file. In addition: the advanced settings within the GUI only allows to edit the filter URL and reload interval. In case invalid values are added, it will be reset to the previous valid entries (Check for messages in the log area)

Yes .... better edit the dnsfilter.cfg file. In addition: the advanced settings within the GUI only allows to edit the filter URL and reload interval. In case invalid values are added, it will be reset to the previous valid entries (Check for messages in the log area)

Thanks for the heads up guys. I was looking in the Android/data folder for the settings, but I should have just looked at the root folder. Okay, I've got everything to work now!

Kevin

Reactions: t-ryder

HeyRicardo

Mar 29, 2014
Using android 6 the fork version doesn't install (not rooted phone), whereas the original does. How do I know why?

Top Liked Posts