[Unlocked Only][RECOVERY][2011-11-14] Custom CWM-based Recovery 5.0.2.7-atrix5

Search This thread

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
This is a modified CWM-based recovery for the Motorola Atrix 4G. It is based on my own custom code forked from the CyanogenMod team's recovery. The major changes I have made include full support for dual SD cards, support for webtop partitions (SD card and internal) and changes to Nandroid backup/restore for this phone's additional partitions.

Some highlights include:
  • Dual SD card support
  • ADB support
  • USB Mass Storage support
  • Nandroid additions/changes
  • ext3/4 formatting
  • Unified kernel for international users
  • Probably others

This recovery is only for UNLOCKED devices. It is intended to be flashed directly to the recovery partition. Additionally, I have an AT&T phone so that is the kernel I am using. I doubt the memory issue would matter in recovery mode but testing from UNLOCKED international users would be appreciated. UPDATE: Initial indications are it works fine on UNLOCKED international phones. Versions for different tegraparts have also been compiled. UPDATE 2: Unified kernel patch has been applied. Choose whatever color you prefer regardless of phone version!

UNLOCKED users can flash this recovery using:
Code:
moto-fastboot devices

moto-fastboot erase recovery

moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery-atrix5.img

Example from my phone:
Code:
$ moto-fastboot devices
TA20700KXH      fastboot

$ moto-fastboot erase recovery
            erasing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.741s]

$ moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
  sending 'recovery' (4780 KB)... OKAY [  0.490s]
            writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.544s]

This is posted in a DEVELOPER forum and is being released to help further the development of Android for the Motorola Atrix 4G. I have personally tested this on my phone but YOU assume full responsibility for any damage incurred to YOUR phone!

ALL USERS
Orange 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
MD5 aebe29124d8c6d6c4b9873bd9ea4ca3b / 1f9a1d6fc83610e5c7c8f2d60e489b69
Cyan 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
MD5 eb44b910983434d3996383098dff53b6 / 91365993488a9ae060b22c8b820d1c5b
Light green 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
MD5 e7c7ec152e9e3269ef2ab1ce99b8943e / 1e720c8760898549226a10d4776f5077
Dark green 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
MD5 c8a4438e5889d5e681a754555c40bc51 / 121d8d9102eac3ed24f1e0be6f8cd5d1
Blue 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
MD5 9a1fd3c8796d2e768b54d39143c17ea3 / 9059c0c37fd2c547ec8508c893986815
Red 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
MD5 036a9d9cc390a6071011d4d50b008875 / aa069d1aed20c5cbd13b2098b6a88975

Original ROM Manager installable zip thanks to SolidHelix. You must still be UNLOCKED to use them.

Source is here.

A few notes:
  • The capacitive buttons can be used to navigate as well. Back is back, search is select. Menu and home are up and down.
  • The "osh" partition is webtop. It is the largest by far and will take some time to backup. Nandroid is not frozen!
  • The "sd-ext" partition is an ext3/4 partition on your external SD card. Veterans will know this as apps2sd and data2sd from other phones. The only use I'm aware of on our phone currently is Sogarth's webtop2sd.

Thanks to:
  • Koush and the CM team for CWM
  • Everyone who has made unlocking the Atrix possible

Last edited:

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
** Changelog **

2011-11-14 (5.0.2.7-atrix5):
  • Minor bugfix release mostly
  • Added the ability to convert an ext3 partition to ext4 under advanced. Shouldn't break anything, but it is experimental.

2011-09-24 (5.0.2.3-atrix4.1):
  • Fix an issue with using ext4 formatting on stock ROMs

2011-09-23 (5.0.2.3-atrix4):
  • Updated to CWR5 base source.
  • The blue version is now the new CWR5 color. Old blue is gone. New photos welcome! :)

2011-09-17 (4.0.1.5-atrix3.3):
  • Unified kernel patch from eval-
  • New kernel to fix the stuck at "Entering Android Recovery" prompt. Big thanks to bamastang for helping test this.
  • Added a verify option to the backup and restore menu.
  • Renamed internal SD card mount point to /emmc and external is now /sdcard (this is largely cosmetic).
  • Merged in the CM7 device config when building the recovery image (again, just cosmetic).
  • Merged in miscellaneous fixes from the official CWM. Version 5 will be merged in once its ready.

2011-08-17 (4.0.1.5-atrix3.2):
  • Added 0MB option to ext3 partition size under External SD card partitioning which removes any ext3 partitions from the card (choose 0MB ext3/0MB swap to have only a FAT32 partition).
  • Added a red build to the mix.
  • Updated the update-binary in the CWM zips to be tailored for this phone.
  • Minor fixes to sdparted (log file related mostly).

2011-08-14 (4.0.1.4-atrix3.1):
  • Swap kernels to re-enable soft keys. Ext4 support should still work.
  • Fix for external SD card partitioning (internal is not supported).
  • CWM zip changed slightly.

2011-08-12 (4.0.1.4-atrix3):
  • Experimental ext4 support. Thanks to SolidHelix for testing it.
  • Fix for restoring large yaffs2 images (greater than 10,000 objects).
  • Tweak to the SD card space check before starting Nandroid backup.
  • Miscellaneous minor bugfixes and tweaks.

2011-08-07 (4.0.1.4-atrix2):
  • User is now prompted to wipe sd-ext (webtop2sd) on "Wipe data/factory reset".
  • User is now prompted to backup or restore webtop (/osh and /sd-ext) during Nandroid.
  • Four alternate colors created.
  • Versions for different tegraparts (international phones) created.

2011-08-05 (4.0.1.4-atrix1):
  • Initial release

Screenshots
Thanks to DarkSim2o9 for the following screenshots:

Known Issues
  • sd-ext (webtop2sd) is inadvertently wiped on "Wipe data/factory reset". Next version will make this optional. Fixed in -atrix2.

Miscellaneous
If you'd like ROM Manager to see this recovery as "official" you can try XCellPhoneSalesRep's suggestion posted here.
Alternately, you can try dcarpenter85's suggestion here.
For issues with recovery not sticking or crashing, see here:
Thanks to mrinehart93 for pointing this out.

The system runs /system/etc/install-recovery.sh on boot with the stock rom. On boot it checks the recovery partition for some update and with CWM installed decides to reflash the stock recovery over it. Rename or delete the file and the CWM should stick.

Old versions
You can browse and download old versions here.

Last edited:

xploited

Feb 8, 2009
If I currently have tenfar's latest recovery, is it worth installing this one? :confused:

bamastang

Oct 5, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
ok.. for some reason I can not enter recovery with Tenfar's or this CWM... I can enter it when plugged into AC using the Root Manager CWM.. Any ideas? I always get stuck at the "Entering Android Recovery Mode" screen and that is it... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
ok.. for some reason I can not enter recovery with Tenfar's or this CWM... I can enter it when plugged into AC using the Root Manager CWM.. Any ideas? I always get stuck at the "Entering Android Recovery Mode" screen and that is it... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

were you using Tenfar's old version.

bamastang

Oct 5, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
I had at one-point tried using the old version... after trying to flash the new version and having the problem. I flashed the new version I believe right after unlocking (first time flashing the CWM) It had never worked on my phone unless I used the ROM Manager version. I was hoping this would take care of the issue since I did the erase recovery and flashed this...

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
I had at one-point tried using the old version... after trying to flash the new version and having the problem. I flashed the new version I believe right after unlocking (first time flashing the CWM) It had never worked on my phone unless I used the ROM Manager version. I was hoping this would take care of the issue since I did the erase recovery and flashed this...

Hmm not sure I've experienced that. Do you have install-recovery.sh in /system/etc? Maybe it's conflicting

DeathKoil

Mar 7, 2011
So, backup and restore is COMPLETELY working on this recovery?

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

Very interested in this as well. The big problem (only problem iirc) with Tenfar's is its inability to properly backup and restore the PDS partition.

If this release gives us all of the features of the official CWM, I will be ecstatic!!!

DK

Reactions: girishmadas

DeathKoil

Mar 7, 2011
It should be from my tests, but you should also test it.

I have several backups of my PDS partition. I am very busy tonight, but was planning on spending tomorrow re-building my laptop. So while I'm doing that I'll do a backup, wipe, and restore to see what happens and report back.

DK

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
Very interested in this as well. The big problem (only problem iirc) with Tenfar's is its inability to properly backup and restore the PDS partition.

If this release gives us all of the features of the official CWM, I will be ecstatic!!!

DK

PDS is definitely backed up. It's not restored by default, just as a wimax partition is not on those devices that have them. It is available under Advanced Restore but you should help test it and have a separate backup just in case.

Backup early and backup often.

bamastang

Oct 5, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
Hmm not sure I've experienced that. Do you have install-recovery.sh in /system/etc? Maybe it's conflicting

The only install-recovery.sh I had was in the /etc not in the /system/etc

I don't know if there is something missing that CWM is dependant on or what. But like I said if I use the one from ROM manager which is 4.0.1.4 I can boot into recover with the plugged in via AC. :confused:

DeathKoil

Mar 7, 2011
Bug during backup?

So I am starting my backup of my phone using this recovery.

I booted into recovery, chose "Backup and Restore", then chose "Backup", and finally told it to makeup to the external card.

Here is my output:

CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.4-atrix1
SD Card Space free: 4331MB
Backing up boot image...
Backing up recovery image...
Backing up system...
Backing up data...
Backing up .android-secure...
Backing up cache...
No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
Backing up osh...
Backing up pds...
Generating md5 sum...

Backup complete!

It seems somewhere in the backup code it tries to backup the contents of the SD-Card (external), but the mount point is referenced as "sd-ext" instead of "sdcard-ext".

This isn't a big deal for me at all, as I only have videos and music on the external card - both of which I have copies of on my PC. For some people, they may want to be able to backup the external card as well.

Edit: In the advanced restore options there is also an option to restore the external sdcard, but it is against referenced as the mount point "sd-ext" instead of sdcard-ext".

Like I said, I'll wipe the phone clean tomorrow and test restore it then make a new post with the results.

So far so good!!

DK

Last edited:

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
The only install-recovery.sh I had was in the /etc not in the /system/etc

I don't know if there is something missing that CWM is dependant on or what. But like I said if I use the one from ROM manager which is 4.0.1.4 I can boot into recover with the plugged in via AC. :confused:

Boot regularly and then in Settings enable USB Debugging. From a command prompt, "adb devices" should show your phone. From there, "adb reboot recovery" and wait 10-20 seconds.

Does that get you into recovery? Does the "Motorola Dual Core" boot image change at all when you try to boot into recovery? Like to a little Android guy with a yellow hazard sign?

The "plugged into AC" recovery is just a hijack of the normal system, so if your phone boots normally I'm not surprised that method works.

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
So I am starting my backup of my phone using this recovery.

I booted into recovery, chose "Backup and Restore", then chose "Backup", and finally told it to makeup to the external card.

Here is my output:

CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.4-atrix1
SD Card Space free: 4331MB
Backing up boot image...
Backing up recovery image...
Backing up system...
Backing up data...
Backing up .android-secure...
Backing up cache...
No sd-ext found. Skipping backup of sd-ext.
Backing up osh...
Backing up pds...
Generating md5 sum...

Backup complete!

It seems somewhere in the backup code it tries to backup the contents of the SD-Card (external), but the mount point is referenced as "sd-ext" instead of "sdcard-ext".

This isn't a big deal for me at all, as I only have videos and music on the external card - both of which I have copies of on my PC. For some people, they may want to be able to backup the external card as well.

DK

"sd-ext" refers to an ext3 partition on the external SD card. On other phones, this is used for crap like "data2sd" and "apps2sd". On our phones, the only current use I've seen of this is for Sogarth's webtop2sd.

Standard CWM does not backup SD card contents (it backs up to them) so there is no support for that in mine. I could consider adding it eventually.

You will see references to "sdcard-ext" in my recovery if you do something like Apply update.zip and then choose External SD card (look at the path it shows you for update.zip on the confirm screen).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a modified CWM-based recovery for the Motorola Atrix 4G. It is based on my own custom code forked from the CyanogenMod team's recovery. The major changes I have made include full support for dual SD cards, support for webtop partitions (SD card and internal) and changes to Nandroid backup/restore for this phone's additional partitions.

Some highlights include:
    • Dual SD card support
    • ADB support
    • USB Mass Storage support
    • Nandroid additions/changes
    • ext3/4 formatting
    • Unified kernel for international users
    • Probably others

This recovery is only for UNLOCKED devices. It is intended to be flashed directly to the recovery partition. Additionally, I have an AT&T phone so that is the kernel I am using. I doubt the memory issue would matter in recovery mode but testing from UNLOCKED international users would be appreciated. UPDATE: Initial indications are it works fine on UNLOCKED international phones. Versions for different tegraparts have also been compiled. UPDATE 2: Unified kernel patch has been applied. Choose whatever color you prefer regardless of phone version!

UNLOCKED users can flash this recovery using:
    Code:
    moto-fastboot devices

moto-fastboot erase recovery

moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery-atrix5.img

Example from my phone:
    Code:
    $ moto-fastboot devices
    TA20700KXH      fastboot

$ moto-fastboot erase recovery
                erasing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.741s]

$ moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
      sending 'recovery' (4780 KB)... OKAY [  0.490s]
                writing 'recovery'... OKAY [  0.544s]

This is posted in a DEVELOPER forum and is being released to help further the development of Android for the Motorola Atrix 4G. I have personally tested this on my phone but YOU assume full responsibility for any damage incurred to YOUR phone!

ALL USERS
    Orange 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
    MD5 aebe29124d8c6d6c4b9873bd9ea4ca3b / 1f9a1d6fc83610e5c7c8f2d60e489b69
    Cyan 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
    MD5 eb44b910983434d3996383098dff53b6 / 91365993488a9ae060b22c8b820d1c5b
    Light green 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
    MD5 e7c7ec152e9e3269ef2ab1ce99b8943e / 1e720c8760898549226a10d4776f5077
    Dark green 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
    MD5 c8a4438e5889d5e681a754555c40bc51 / 121d8d9102eac3ed24f1e0be6f8cd5d1
    Blue 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
    MD5 9a1fd3c8796d2e768b54d39143c17ea3 / 9059c0c37fd2c547ec8508c893986815
    Red 5.0.2.7-atrix5 / ZIP version.
    MD5 036a9d9cc390a6071011d4d50b008875 / aa069d1aed20c5cbd13b2098b6a88975

Original ROM Manager installable zip thanks to SolidHelix. You must still be UNLOCKED to use them.

Source is here.

A few notes:
    • The capacitive buttons can be used to navigate as well. Back is back, search is select. Menu and home are up and down.
    • The "osh" partition is webtop. It is the largest by far and will take some time to backup. Nandroid is not frozen!
    • The "sd-ext" partition is an ext3/4 partition on your external SD card. Veterans will know this as apps2sd and data2sd from other phones. The only use I'm aware of on our phone currently is Sogarth's webtop2sd.

Thanks to:
    • Koush and the CM team for CWM
    • Everyone who has made unlocking the Atrix possible
    ** Changelog **

2011-11-14 (5.0.2.7-atrix5):
    • Minor bugfix release mostly
    • Added the ability to convert an ext3 partition to ext4 under advanced. Shouldn't break anything, but it is experimental.

2011-09-24 (5.0.2.3-atrix4.1):
    • Fix an issue with using ext4 formatting on stock ROMs

2011-09-23 (5.0.2.3-atrix4):
    • Updated to CWR5 base source.
    • The blue version is now the new CWR5 color. Old blue is gone. New photos welcome! :)

2011-09-17 (4.0.1.5-atrix3.3):
    • Unified kernel patch from eval-
    • New kernel to fix the stuck at "Entering Android Recovery" prompt. Big thanks to bamastang for helping test this.
    • Added a verify option to the backup and restore menu.
    • Renamed internal SD card mount point to /emmc and external is now /sdcard (this is largely cosmetic).
    • Merged in the CM7 device config when building the recovery image (again, just cosmetic).
    • Merged in miscellaneous fixes from the official CWM. Version 5 will be merged in once its ready.

2011-08-17 (4.0.1.5-atrix3.2):
    • Added 0MB option to ext3 partition size under External SD card partitioning which removes any ext3 partitions from the card (choose 0MB ext3/0MB swap to have only a FAT32 partition).
    • Added a red build to the mix.
    • Updated the update-binary in the CWM zips to be tailored for this phone.
    • Minor fixes to sdparted (log file related mostly).

2011-08-14 (4.0.1.4-atrix3.1):
    • Swap kernels to re-enable soft keys. Ext4 support should still work.
    • Fix for external SD card partitioning (internal is not supported).
    • CWM zip changed slightly.

2011-08-12 (4.0.1.4-atrix3):
    • Experimental ext4 support. Thanks to SolidHelix for testing it.
    • Fix for restoring large yaffs2 images (greater than 10,000 objects).
    • Tweak to the SD card space check before starting Nandroid backup.
    • Miscellaneous minor bugfixes and tweaks.

2011-08-07 (4.0.1.4-atrix2):
    • User is now prompted to wipe sd-ext (webtop2sd) on "Wipe data/factory reset".
    • User is now prompted to backup or restore webtop (/osh and /sd-ext) during Nandroid.
    • Four alternate colors created.
    • Versions for different tegraparts (international phones) created.

2011-08-05 (4.0.1.4-atrix1):
    • Initial release

Screenshots
    Thanks to DarkSim2o9 for the following screenshots:

Known Issues
    • sd-ext (webtop2sd) is inadvertently wiped on "Wipe data/factory reset". Next version will make this optional. Fixed in -atrix2.

Miscellaneous
    If you'd like ROM Manager to see this recovery as "official" you can try XCellPhoneSalesRep's suggestion posted here.
    Alternately, you can try dcarpenter85's suggestion here.
    For issues with recovery not sticking or crashing, see here:
    Thanks to mrinehart93 for pointing this out.

The system runs /system/etc/install-recovery.sh on boot with the stock rom. On boot it checks the recovery partition for some update and with CWM installed decides to reflash the stock recovery over it. Rename or delete the file and the CWM should stick.

Old versions
    You can browse and download old versions here.
    New version posted. Updated to 5.0.2.7 base source. See post #2 for full changelog.
    Sorry for the slow updates last couple of weeks guys; I got married on Saturday! I'd hoped to have the next version out before then but just didn't get to it. I should have something out later this week though or next week at the latest :) This will include things like "/emmc" for internal SD (not really exposed too much in recovery, but aligns with CM7.1, etc) as well as an updated kernel (the issue that affects bamastang and one other user).
    What worked for me coming from tenfar's " [Unlocked Only][Release]CWM Recovery Mod for Atrix 4G 2011-06-30 updated again!" RECOVERY :

1) Download "CWM-recovery-atrix1.zip" from bottom of 1st post OR from HERE and place on root of Ext SD Card.

2) Rom Manager ~~> Flash ClockworkMod Recovery (Flashes latest clockwork of stock 4.0.1.4 for Atrix)

3) Rom Manager ~~> Install ROM from SD Card ~~> Chose CWM-recovery-atrix1.zip you downloaded and placed on Ext SD Card from step 1.

4) Rom Manager ~~> Reboot into Recovery ~~> Top of Recovery should read CWM-based Recovery v4.0.1.4-atrix1

i feel that it cant get any easier then this...

romracer if you feel the need to use these instructions in post 1, please feel free.