How to Tether using WiFi Tether- TrevE Mod (ROOT NEEDED)

Search This thread

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
Hey guys. I just came from using a Galaxy Note 2. Since my school does not have the greatest network available, I like to tether my laptop through my phone. With the Galaxy Note 2, I used the settings in this thread in the Note 2 section to allow me to tether more than the 500mb included with my data plan.

When I got the GS4, those same settings didn't work. I did some tinkering with the settings with this app on my GS4, and I've managed to get it working again.

In order for it to work, I highly recommend using a VPN on your phone so that all data is encrypted, hiding it from T-Mobile's sniffing to see if you're using a desktop browser. I use Private Internet Access to accomplish this, and have had no problems using their app running on my phone while tethering. I'm sure you can use other free alternatives, such as Hotspot Shield VPN, but I prefer PIA.

The settings I'm using are as follows:

• Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Setup-Method: Hostapd (master)
  • Wifi Encryption Enabled
  • Wireless Channel 1
  • MSS clamping enabled
  • Routing fix enabled
  • Disable Wake-Lock enabled (aka, check the box)

You need root access for this to work

I've attached the version of the mod I'm using, I'm using Version 3.2-beta2-modv5 ***Synergized***, which I pulled straight from my Note 2 and installed on my GS4. If you want to download it yourself, the Note 2 post I mentioned above directs here as the place to get the mod.

Step by step instructions:

1. BE ROOTED.
    If you have not updated to the May 7th OTA update, rooting takes about 5 minutes and just a couple clicks. Follow the steps in this post.
    If you have updated to the OTA, it's a few more steps. Root the OTA update using the steps here
  2. Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN, or your VPN service of choice
  3. Download and install the tether mod (either download attached file in OP, or follow the link to download from the other post)
  4. Open tether mod, press menu, settings
  5. Configure the options mentioned in original post
  6. Run your VPN app before starting the tether.
  7. Start tethering

Attachments

• com.googlecode.android.wifi.tether_40.apk
    526 KB · Views: 48,323
Last edited:

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
I'm confused, could you post step by step instructions?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

1. BE ROOTED (I forgot to include that in OP, I've edited it to show that it's needed).
    If you have not updated to the May 7th OTA update, rooting takes about 5 minutes and just a couple clicks. Follow the steps in this post.
    If you have updated to the OTA, it's a bit more complicated. Root the OTA update using the steps here
  2. Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN
  3. Download and install the tether mod (either download attached file in OP, or follow the link to download from the other post)
  6. Start tethering

Last edited:

glensta

Jul 1, 2010
Over here

1. BE ROOTED (I forgot to include that in OP, I've edited it to show that it's needed)
  6. Start tethering

Hey thanks for posting this. As for the VPN - I'm a newbie. How do I configure Hotspotshield? Do I just start protection and that's it?

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
Hey thanks for posting this. As for the VPN - I'm a newbie. How do I configure Hotspotshield? Do I just start protection and that's it?

Yep. Before now, I had only just heard of it, never used it. I gave it a little test run just now, and you're right. Just start protection, then start the tether app, and you're good to go.

Reactions: glensta

inphamous36

Aug 8, 2012
Baltimore
Okay, so for the hotspot shield VPN, I just have to have that running at the same time as I have the treve mod running? Cause there isn't any settings on that...

inphamous36

Aug 8, 2012
Baltimore
Yep, just have the vpn running at the same time as the tether

Thanks for thr help bro. Downloading a movie now on my tablet. Hopefully it works

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Okay, had it working. Which do I start first the hotspot shield or the mod

Lolento

Jul 31, 2007
Does it work normally without encryption? Are you putting in the password properly?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium HD app

Yes, without encryption connects fine but the wifi logo on my nexus 7 is grey not blue but i can conn3ct to the inernet and yes password is right

Lemme try restart

R u guys using stock rooted roms?

EDIT - restart fixes it

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

So it seems that I need to restart my phone every single time I need to use Wifi Tether with encryption, is everybody experiencing this as well?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys. I just came from using a Galaxy Note 2. Since my school does not have the greatest network available, I like to tether my laptop through my phone. With the Galaxy Note 2, I used the settings in this thread in the Note 2 section to allow me to tether more than the 500mb included with my data plan.

When I got the GS4, those same settings didn't work. I did some tinkering with the settings with this app on my GS4, and I've managed to get it working again.

In order for it to work, I highly recommend using a VPN on your phone so that all data is encrypted, hiding it from T-Mobile's sniffing to see if you're using a desktop browser. I use Private Internet Access to accomplish this, and have had no problems using their app running on my phone while tethering. I'm sure you can use other free alternatives, such as Hotspot Shield VPN, but I prefer PIA.

The settings I'm using are as follows:

• Device-Profile: Samsung Galaxy S3
    • Setup-Method: Hostapd (master)
    • Wifi Encryption Enabled
    • Wireless Channel 1
    • MSS clamping enabled
    • Routing fix enabled
    • Disable Wake-Lock enabled (aka, check the box)

You need root access for this to work

I've attached the version of the mod I'm using, I'm using Version 3.2-beta2-modv5 ***Synergized***, which I pulled straight from my Note 2 and installed on my GS4. If you want to download it yourself, the Note 2 post I mentioned above directs here as the place to get the mod.

1. BE ROOTED.
      If you have updated to the OTA, it's a few more steps. Root the OTA update using the steps here
    2. Install and configure Hotspot Shield VPN, or your VPN service of choice
    6. Run your VPN app before starting the tether.
    7. Start tethering
    I've solved the CM tether-VPN compatibility in a secure fashion. I'll probably post a flashable zip (containing an init.d script that, thanks to addon.d, will persist with updates) tomorrow.
    I'm confused, could you post step by step instructions?

1. BE ROOTED (I forgot to include that in OP, I've edited it to show that it's needed).
      If you have updated to the OTA, it's a bit more complicated. Root the OTA update using the steps here
    6. Start tethering
    Guys WiFi tether in play store was updated to include s4 support. If you have root it works perfectly without any further steps needed.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta