[APP][ICS] EncPassChanger -- set different device encryption and lock screen password

Search This thread

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
Android 3+ has a nice feature -- device encryption. You can encrypt the contents of your device with a password, and after that this password must be entered during device boot, otherwise the data is permanently lost.
The bad thing is that this password is set to the screen lock PIN / password. So you either set a short password or PIN, that you can enter quickly each time you unlock your phone from sleep (but this provides weak encryption), or set a long password and have to type it 20-30 times during the day.

This stupid behavior may be fixed easily. Android provides command-line tool called 'vdc', an interface to Android Volume Manager. As written in "Notes on the implementation of encryption in Android 3.0" [1], it has a command 'cryptfs changepw', that allows changing encryption password. Of course this command must be executed as root.
vdc has some other commands related to encryption, one of them is 'cryptfs verifypw', that allows to validate the supplied password.

I'm currently writing an application that will assist user with changing encryption password. This is my first public application for Android. You can find a source code on GitHub [2]. It is very simple, but maybe android gurus here may find what to make better.

Comments and pull requests are welcome :)
Thanks!

[1] http source.android.com/tech/encryption/android_crypto_implementation.html
[2] https github.com/kibab/encpasschanger

Attachments

• EncPassChanger.apk
    26.1 KB · Views: 768
Last edited:

uDroid

Feb 8, 2011
Berlin
Android 3+ has a nice feature -- device encryption. You can encrypt the contents of your device with a password, and after that this password must be entered during device boot, otherwise the data is permanently lost.
The bad thing is that this password is set to the screen lock PIN / password. So you either set a short password or PIN, that you can enter quickly each time you unlock your phone from sleep (but this provides weak encryption), or set a long password and have to type it 20-30 times during the day.

This stupid behavior may be fixed easily. Android provides command-line tool called 'vdc', an interface to Android Volume Manager. As written in "Notes on the implementation of encryption in Android 3.0" [1], it has a command 'cryptfs changepw', that allows changing encryption password. Of course this command must be executed as root.
vdc has some other commands related to encryption, one of them is 'cryptfs verifypw', that allows to validate the supplied password.

I'm currently writing an application that will assist user with changing encryption password. This is my first public application for Android. You can find a source code on GitHub [2]. It is very simple, but maybe android gurus here may find what to make better.

Thanks!

Sorry im noob
What will change visualy?
Or screenshot?

Sent from my LT26i using XDA Premium HD app

randalla0622

Jan 10, 2007
Bothell
www.xaren.net
Thank you for this. I wanted a more simple password for the unlock, but a longer more complicated password for the decryption. You should put it on the market and charge $.99USD (or equivalent in your currency) as it's quite useful. I'd buy it :)

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
Thank you!
Actually I have registered myself as Google Play Developer, now I'm waiting for approval. As soon as my registration is approved, I will update this thread :)
Although I'm going to make a free and donate versions, because I believe that will help to make Android better, and people who want to say "Thank you" will buy Donate version anyway :)

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
Sorry im noob
What will change visualy?
Or screenshot?

Sent from my LT26i using XDA Premium HD app

Nothing will change visually, hence no screenshot. What's important is that you may set strong password for decrypting the internal storage, but keep using simple password (or PIN) to unlock the screen.

P.S. I have verified that my app works on Jelly Bean too.

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
I have finally published an application on Google Play! Currently there is a free version, Donate version will come a bit later :)
The link is: https:// play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kibab.android.EncPassChanger

Enjoy! :)

tijuanacartel

Nov 18, 2010
Thanks for this. I've been trying to work out why encryption wont work on any ROM on my HOX (dies with unable to get size of block device cryptfs), and you have given me a good lead to investigate with vdc. Information on encryption in android is sparse, and almost all threads here on XDA get no replies.

Thanks again.

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
I've been tempted to use device encryption recently, but there is a distinct lack of information about it, particularly on custom ROMs...

Might need to give it a go, just the lack of backup abilities might be an issue...

zurchpet

Nov 16, 2008
Winterthur, Schweiz
nobrain.ch
I've been tempted to use device encryption recently, but there is a distinct lack of information about it, particularly on custom ROMs...

Might need to give it a go, just the lack of backup abilities might be an issue...

I use CM10 on the Galaxy Nexus (maguro). Encrypted. Actually, only /data is encrypted. /system stays unencrypted. And this App works as described.

For Backup use TWRP. It asks for your password to decrypt storage.
You can then backup, restore, flash, install whole ROMs, wipe and what not.

>> I would like to see this app in Play Store :D <<

I should read before I post:
I have finally published an application on Google Play! Currently there is a free version, Donate version will come a bit later :)
The link is: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kibab.android.EncPassChanger

Enjoy! :)

Thanks for that :D

btw. The encrypted /data partition lets you have two boot animations, one that is shown before code has been entered (the one in /system/media) and one after the correct code entry (the one in /data/local).

Last edited:

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
I use CM10 on the Galaxy Nexus (maguro). Encrypted. Actually, only /data is encrypted. /system stays unencrypted. And this App works as described.

For Backup use TWRP. It asks for your password to decrypt storage.
You can then backup, restore, flash, install whole ROMs, wipe and what not.

>> I would like to see this app in Play Store :D <<

btw. The encrypted /data partition lets you have two boot animations, one that is shown before code has been entered (the one in /system/media) and one after the correct code entry (the one in /data/local).

Hmm... I have i9100 (S2), so I would need to see about putting TWRP onto it...

Yeah, only data and SD are encrypted... Can TWRP cope with encrypted SD btw?

adrianblack

Mar 22, 2008
West Coast
Quite awesome. Now, can I use a strong password for encryption and then pattern lock for normal day to day use? That would be my ideal situation. I heart pattern lock!

vegaman

Jan 30, 2010
Auckland
Just trying to clarify how this works... so you keep your normal 'short' pin unlock code for unlocking the screen, but set a long code for decryption, and this code will only be requested once per boot, during bootup? Is this correct?

Thanks

Kibab

Oct 13, 2007
Munich
kibab.com
Quite awesome. Now, can I use a strong password for encryption and then pattern lock for normal day to day use? That would be my ideal situation. I heart pattern lock!

Unfortunately it's not possible to use pattern lock while using device encryption, Android forbids it. Patching Android framework will help, but this is completely another story and possible suggestion for ROM makers such as Cyanogenmod.

Ronaldo Forenucci

May 19, 2012
Is the 16 character Android limitation present, when using this tool? I currently use a 16 character device encryption/unlock pass phrase. I'd like to strengthen the device pass phrase some more.

I don't know if this is even possible during the device boot sequence, but being able to use a Yubikey with an OTG cable would be awesome!

RF

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

Version 2.0 of EncPassChanger brings fixes for Jelly Bean (particularly, checks for validity of old password), shell characters escaping (which means more complex passwords) and "Debug mode", which one can use to debug problems with password changing process.
    Google Play version is updated, code is uploaded on GitHub :)
    any update on this? does it work properly on jelly bean? i have JB 4.1.2 already on my galaxy nexus and it doesn't show up in play store? i'd rather install it via play store instead of apk directly.
    Yes. It does work on JB, I use it currently on Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7, both running 4.1.2.
    Strange that you don't see it, please try duirect link then: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kibab.android.EncPassChanger
    Great, it's easier than to change on command line :)
    This should just be default android behavior