[Q] Samsung S3 (cyanogenMod) unlock

Search This thread

zeshanlahoria

Mar 25, 2014
Hi,

I bought a locked Samsung S3 (At&t). It is rooted with cyanogenMod 10.2 Android 4.3.1. All i was trying to do is unlock it so i can use it with other carrier. So i bought the unlock codes for 30 bucks but later i found out that the unlock codes only work with Stock rom. I am not an expert at this Root, Custom Rom...stuff, but not idiot either i can follow step by step directions if anyone knows how to make this work. I would like to use the custom rom though, so do i have to recover in stock rom, unlock the phone using the code and than install the custom rom again?

Plz help

Alexandre-P

Aug 8, 2012
Montreal
Hi!

[...] do i have to recover in stock rom, unlock the phone using the code and than install the custom rom again?
Yes, that is what you will need to do. As you can only enter an unlock code on a stock ROM (or one of the numerous custom ROM based on the stock one), you won't be able to make it work on CyanogenMod or any AOSP derivatives. You will have to revert back to stock, then (if you want to try a cutom ROM) install another custom ROM of your choice, be it CM or anything else.

Though if you currently have CM installed in your device, you most certainly already have a custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, PhilZ Touch...), which make it even easier for you to flash ROMs at your will -- the step of installing a custom recovery is already done. So browse the AT&T SIII Android Development forum, choose a stock-based ROM, install it -- pay close attention to the installation instructions in the ROM's thread --, unlock your phone; then repeat those steps to install another ROM if you want to.

Reactions: zeshanlahoria

zeshanlahoria

Mar 25, 2014
Hi!

Yes, that is what you will need to do. As you can only enter an unlock code on a stock ROM (or one of the numerous custom ROM based on the stock one), you won't be able to make it work on CyanogenMod or any AOSP derivatives. You will have to revert back to stock, then (if you want to try a cutom ROM) install another custom ROM of your choice, be it CM or anything else.

Though if you currently have CM installed in your device, you most certainly already have a custom recovery (TWRP, CWM, PhilZ Touch...), which make it even easier for you to flash ROMs at your will -- the step of installing a custom recovery is already done. So browse the AT&T SIII Android Development forum, choose a stock-based ROM, install it -- pay close attention to the installation instructions in the ROM's thread --, unlock your phone; then repeat those steps to install another ROM if you want to.

Could you please direct me to how to unroot? I am able to go into the recovery mode but not really sure how to go on from there. I appreciate the help.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Could you please direct me to how to unroot? I am able to go into the recovery mode but not really sure how to go on from there. I appreciate the help.

Before you flash a stock ROM, you would need to check what bootloader your phone is currently on as flashing the wrong one could cause your phone to brick or become unusable. Custom ROMs like the CM you currently have do not have their own bootloaders but rely on manufacturer's bootloader to run. The bootloader, quite simply, is a small application that loads the operating system and all other applications & systems required for the phone to run once it is powered on. Therefore, with a faulty bootloader, your phone can not gather all the resources required to power on successfully. If your phone is running on the 4.3 bootloader which would be the case if it was on 4.3 before the update to a custom ROM, then you would have to return to stock Android 4.3 which is the latest OS available for the AT&T GS3. However, if it has an older bootloader, then you can flash Android 4.1.1 via Odin.

There are different sets of instructions for either system so I would suggest you check your phone's settings and advise the OS parameters you can see there so we can steer you in the correct direction.

mr_legolas

Jan 30, 2014

Did the phone originally have 4.3? or did it have an older version before you installed CM 10.2. This would determine how you would go about it.

Also is there a custom recovery like clockworkmod installed?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi!

[...] do i have to recover in stock rom, unlock the phone using the code and than install the custom rom again?