PERMANENTLY fix your "blown" speaker

Search This thread

dabigcheezze

Jul 18, 2010
First off this could break your speaker, do this at your own risk.
I have tested this on 2 EVO's with completely "blown" speakers, they both now sound absolutely perfect. From what i can tell, it's a lot of built up metal shavings, they weigh the speaker cone down and prevent it from making the true desired frequency.
You will need a earth magnet, or a really strong regular one will do i guess,(I used a earth mag tho)
First issue: you have to take the phone apart, from there, remove speaker,
(has been covered on youtube so go a lookin)
Now.. take the speaker, sweet diagram huh?(its late) and drop it, foam side down, from about 3 or 4 inches onto the magnet. Repeat. You will see the shavings coming off the speaker and sticking to the earth magnet.
Do it for a few minutes or until the metal shavings are all gone.
Re-assemble, click your favorite player and enjoy!!
I will try to get a tutorial on youtube soon..

Attachments

• speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,787
Last edited:

HTCRALEIGHFAN

Aug 14, 2010
u might wanna add a disclaimer as some waterhead is gonna do this and toast their evo!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: CDKJudoka

drtdiver83

Feb 9, 2010
Why not since you have it apart and risk damaging the speaker by screwing up the polarity of the speakers magnet just drop in a brand new speaker. They can be picked up for a few bucks.

dabigcheezze

Jul 18, 2010
Why not since you have it apart and risk damaging the speaker by screwing up the polarity of the speakers magnet just drop in a brand new speaker. They can be picked up for a few bucks.

Im on my third speaker in a year,and who want's to wait two weeks for the speaker to get from china? Did another friend's this am, zero problems. I can see where you would think this may cause a problem, but it doesn't, Sound is restored to perfect.
Just trying to pass on what has worked 3 times for me. I would prefer fixing rather than replacing, i assume others would too.

Sunsparc

Jan 3, 2011
I see this all the time at my store, especially those who work outside and around machinery.

Had one guy blow 3 in two weeks before we finally sat him down and explained in detail exactly why it was doing it before he finally wised up.

dabigcheezze

Jul 18, 2010
Assuming you have not disassembled it and broke the seal, and you have a warranty, and you live near a store that does service work. But besides that, yeah spot on.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Sunsparc

Jan 3, 2011
Assuming you have not disassembled it and broke the seal, and you have a warranty, and you live near a store that does service work. But besides that, yeah spot on.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

I work on Evos with broken screw seals. For the average customer, it means they've had it worked on before and the sticker wasn't replaced.

Joey SR

Aug 2, 2010
Thanks so much. after having the evo over a year and putting it on my work bench. I never thought about the metal shavings from screws getting in. Works as new

spcking

May 8, 2011
Seneca
This is a cool post but I really do see in the near future some idiots ruining their phones trying to open it up and pulling the speaker out

Cyanogenized EVO4g nightly 102

Nov 23, 2008
Does this work for the earpiece speaker? My earpiece speaker just started buzzing and I can't understand what anyone with a deeper voice is saying at all.

dabigcheezze

Jul 18, 2010
Does this work for the earpiece speaker? My earpiece speaker just started buzzing and I can't understand what anyone with a deeper voice is saying at all.
I don't see why it wouldn't, obviously the idea is that the earth magnet is WAY stronger than the speakers magnet allowing it to pull away the shavings, give it a shot and report back!

zilesx

Dec 9, 2009

Just wanted to point out that unless the speaker is part of a matched pair, reversing the polarity of the magnet will not affect the sound... ;)

LancerEVA06

May 5, 2010
Chicago
Just wanted to point out that unless the speaker is part of a matched pair, reversing the polarity of the magnet will not affect the sound... ;)

Well it will change the entire dynamics of the intended design... therefore changing frequency, depth, and volume. Speakers are designed to push... not pull. If they pull, it will more or less push the sound into whatever it's housing is.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off this could break your speaker, do this at your own risk.
    I have tested this on 2 EVO's with completely "blown" speakers, they both now sound absolutely perfect. From what i can tell, it's a lot of built up metal shavings, they weigh the speaker cone down and prevent it from making the true desired frequency.
    You will need a earth magnet, or a really strong regular one will do i guess,(I used a earth mag tho)
    First issue: you have to take the phone apart, from there, remove speaker,
    (has been covered on youtube so go a lookin)
    Now.. take the speaker, sweet diagram huh?(its late) and drop it, foam side down, from about 3 or 4 inches onto the magnet. Repeat. You will see the shavings coming off the speaker and sticking to the earth magnet.
    Do it for a few minutes or until the metal shavings are all gone.
    Re-assemble, click your favorite player and enjoy!!
    I will try to get a tutorial on youtube soon..
    u might wanna add a disclaimer as some waterhead is gonna do this and toast their evo!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App
    just take it to sprint they will replace it for free and do it right there