How to root Atrix 4G with 4.5.141

Search This thread

Br4hm4

Aug 12, 2007
A little help please...I get to step 9

type “adb shell” press enter (to restart the shell)

For some reason when I type the command, I receive and error that states: "Device not Found"

Am I supposed to let the phone boot all the way up? Did I skipe a step? The previous 8 steps were smooth and did exactly as it is supposed to. Should I be slecting a certain option for the USB connection?

thank you in advance.

kwanchi

Dec 20, 2010
Rooting Atrix 4.5.141 w/o a PC

Is there a way to do it if you have a Mac (OSX Lion) or just on the phone itself?

Dark9781

Apr 21, 2009
A little help please...I get to step 9

For some reason when I type the command, I receive and error that states: "Device not Found"

Am I supposed to let the phone boot all the way up? Did I skipe a step? The previous 8 steps were smooth and did exactly as it is supposed to. Should I be slecting a certain option for the USB connection?

thank you in advance.

You need to let the phone boot back up before entering adb shell.

ahmundoi

Apr 15, 2009
Worked by brute force

The steps outlined worked for me...

A few things for my Atrix I noted, and I guess I was lucky that my blind faith in this community worked!

Here are the steps I took... hope they help put your mind at ease!

• Pre-AT&T Update: I had a rooted atrix 4g 4.5.91 using SuperOneClick
  • I accidentally pressed "yes" to AT&T's OTA update w/o realizing I would lose my root.
  • panicked and searched all over the web for a way to root
  • found this thread and followed the advice verbatim (actually followed the original post, and used this post to verify as well as to glean insight from others' experiences)
  • While following the steps verbatim, my phone never reboot itself... so I just pulled the battery
  • after turning on the phone, simulating a "reboot" with the battery pull, I ran the adb scrpts.
  • I also ran into the first "error" and kept going like Dark9781 suggested
  • towards the end, I couldn't install the SU (cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/) because one was already installed (I saw that the OTA update didn't remove the SU App)
  • Checked if my phone was rooted anyways using Titanium Backup
  • the current SU I had reported that it was out of date, but the phone was still rooted
  • yay!

st167

Mar 5, 2011
No Space Left !!

On Step 13, I am getting error saying
“cp: write error: No space left on device”

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks,

Br4hm4

Aug 12, 2007
ok, I was able to get the ADB shell going...and was able to root. Unfortunately...2.3.6 locked up hard and didn't let me do anything so I did a factory reset on the Atrix and now I get to the step to type in /preinstall /dosu or /preinstall /su and I keep getting permission denied.

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

Disregard my previous post. I am now successfully rooted. Thank you for all the assistance. :)

Br4hm4

Aug 12, 2007
after all the hassles and what not...I dropped my Atrix today and shattered the glass. So, since I was fed up with AT&T customer service, I went to Verizon and picked up a RAZR.

mrphil101

Apr 2, 2009
Florida
Google Pixel 7 Pro
after all the hassles and what not...I dropped my Atrix today and shattered the glass. So, since I was fed up with AT&T customer service, I went to Verizon and picked up a RAZR.

Don't know if you have had any dealings with Verizon customer service, but my experience is AT&T customer service beats verizons by a long shot. Keep in mind that all the first level support from either are people that have to read from a script, so there they are pretty equally useless. But just contacting support is way easier with att. Having to escalate an issue is usually easier with att. And trying to get Verizon to exchange equipment is difficult. Best of luck.
Isn't going from an Artix to a RAZR a "downgrade".

dratsablive

Feb 20, 2011
HARRISBURG
Am trying to root my Atrix on 4.5.91. Am using a linux laptop. I can connect my phone and it's recognized with ADB, and can copy files to and from phone. But when I put it into Fastboot mode, it's not recognized. Do I have to boot to windows and use the windows drivers?

newocelot2005

Mar 12, 2012
please a little help !

can not root at&t atrix 4.5.141

when i try to preinstall su i see :

# cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/
cp: cannot create '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system

what can I do ?
TNX!

GnexMatic

Apr 7, 2012
How did I lose my root?

Hi I used this to successfully root my bell 2.3.6 Atrix.

But I lost it after unlocking the boot loader.

Long story short; I tried to root again and ran into a problem when I enter my ADB commands. " error there is more than one device and emulator". I deleted the ROM manager but couldn't find the super user recovery icon to uninstall that. So I can't get around this message what should I do?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here I share some instructions I found on how to root the Atrix 4G after installing the new update

After updating your Motorola Atrix 4G to software version 4.5.141 you will lose root access. For those of you want to root your Motorola Atrix 4G after updating to build 4.5.141 this is how you do it.
    Keep in mind that when typing in the commands during the rooting process you will leave out the quotes.
    Instructions to root Atrix 4G running Gingerbread on 4.5.141:
    Download and Extract Fastboot Files (I was unable to post the Link, but you can go to "android-advice" website to find it)
    Connect your phone to the computer via USB
    Put your phone in fastboot mode (restart phone holding volume down button)
    Open a command prompt and navigate to C:/moto-fastboot-win32
    type “moto-fastboot.exe flash preinstall preinstall.img” press enter
    Press “Vol Up” to initiate fastboot protocol
    type “moto-fastboot.exe reboot” press enter
    Your phone should reboot, wait for it to come back up
    type “/preinstall/dosu” press enter
    If step 10 fails type “/preinstall/su” instead and hit enter
    type “/bin/mount -o remount,rw /system” press enter
    type “cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/” press enter
    type “chmod 6755 /system/bin/su” press enter
    type “PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk” press enter
    Reboot your phone
    The Article this was copied from is: Root the Motorola Atrix 4G Running 4.5.141

All of the downloads and original article can be found there.
    Hi, how i UNROOT MY ATRIX?
    I need to sell and the buyer wants original...
    tks!!

Click HERE for how to unroot your Atrix. Scroll 1/3 way down the page to find the instructions.
    That is what I thought. I have tried the steps again and it gives me the same error. Device not found. hmmm.

Quite odd. Do you have the Motorola drivers installed? If not you can find them here:

32-Bit http://gititbit.ch/aUSB1
    64-Bit http://gititbit.ch/aUSB2
    If you know what you are doing then it's safe. :rolleyes:

It also depends on what GB Build you are on. AFAIK, this is the only root method for 4.5.141

Does anyone try this method

I dont know if is safe and i read several ways to root the atrix and dont also know who method should I choose

Thanks