Why Teens Don't Need a Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

blmvxer

Jan 13, 2012
When I was 15 I got my first smartphone. The palm pre, I became instantly intrigued with this mysterious device and the os its built upon. Then I began programming and studying.

For me it was an eye opener.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Doc Cause

Sep 14, 2012
Who gives a **** really. If your parents can afford a smartphone great... if not tough ****. I never had a cellphone until my senior year and I paid for it my self. But I love my phone now... And yes I play games, go on Facebook and all that other stuff. Why? Because I can. So why shouldn't a teenager be allowed to enjoy those things as well if the parent is fortunate enough to afford it. My parents didn't have the money to get me a phone when I was younger (and smartphones didn't exist.) but if they could of I would of been like **** yeah. It's a parents discretion if their kid is responsible enough to own a smartphone and saying NO teen should have one is ridiculous even though a few probably shouldn't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

iKoolkid

Jul 8, 2012
Chicago
I know a few rich girls, like dad's a doctor and goes on a month long trip through every country in europe including a cruise in the Mediterranean rich (no racism, but they are rich white people like Mitt Romney), and what angers me the most is they have iPhones. And don't need need them. All they do is text and gossip and play stupid games like temple run, and my anger actually stems from the fact they are using iPhones. That is too stereotypical for rich kids.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

InfinityFTW

Feb 6, 2012
Tromsø, Norway (We have æøå!)
I know a few rich girls, like dad's a doctor and goes on a month long trip through every country in europe including a cruise in the Mediterranean rich (no racism, but they are rich white people like Mitt Romney), and what angers me the most is they have iPhones. And don't need need them. All they do is text and gossip and play stupid games like temple run, and my anger actually stems from the fact they are using iPhones. That is too stereotypical for rich kids.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

My litter sister have an iPhone. Nothing wrong about that. The thing that's wrong is that she uses it to take pictures of her self. That's it. WHY DONT SHE BUY A FRICKING CAMERA?!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

spitfire2425

Jun 12, 2012
Narnia
Why don't we list why adults don't need smart phones... Crap like this is why your kids hate you.

Sent from my SGH-I727 using xda app-developers app

plznote

Jun 1, 2011
Why don't we list why adults don't need smart phones... Crap like this is why your kids hate you.

You are one spoiled sonofabitch. Smartphones are common, but that doesn't mean a child is entitled to them. Stuff like this is why so many people have debt problems because they don't understand the value of money. Don't be stingy, but don't be extravagant.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

LoopDoGG79

Feb 26, 2012
Modesto, Cali

OK, to appease the poor teenagers android needs, we all must provide the essential tool of a smartphone. If you lost your job, barley making ends meet, no excuse parents. Ring up them credit cards, rob a liquor store, do what every it takes! No teen shall lack on facebook, temple run, or Tapatalk no more!

Sent from the phalanges of my hand to the facet of your cranium.

CnC-ROCK

Aug 28, 2012
Nashik
why teens dont need a smartphone?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
adults dont need smartphones. i bet 70/100 adults wont even know how to install a apk with package installer. they wont even know the name of OS running their phone. They dont even know what mobile they use. To them black colored Motorola or white color Samsung phone is the model name, asking what company iPhone the other bought. Ask then what android version their phone is running they will say 4.0.4 or 2.3.3 they will never even know that it is ICS or gingerbread.

About the article. The article is about your teen does not need an iPhone and not your teen does not need a smartphone. Clearly you are a adult and as i said earlier that adults lack info. iPhone is no smartphone it is failphone.

You said:
"I know that the only thing he might actually do with it just access facebook and twitter and just play some stupid games."
1. Dont tell me you dont access facebook or twitter from your phone:rolleyes:
2. Games are not stupid. People who think games are stupid are stupid.

If you open of profiles of developers be it android or windows, etc. you will see that most of them are about 16 or 17, many are about 20-25 and very less are "adults with teens". That knowledge was bestowed upon them by God or opening facebook and twitter and playing stupid games seems to teach them development right? NO. They know how to do it because they were given smartphones and they picked up interest in development. Even if some teen is not a developer it does not mean that he/she does not deserve a smartphone. Smartphones can be useful in many other ways. You can contact your friend for some doubt-solving on the night before exam, etc. What you said is like you should be given water to drink but not allowed urinate because then you will have to flush or clean the toilet the next day. Everything has its own pros and cons. Here the pros are more so why not give your teen a phone?

What use do adults have of smartphone if they are not smartphone enthusiast/techie/developer/or need to work on the go? It is a waste of money to get smartphones for adults ( :banghead: excluding the adult developers on XDA..).So now quit reading and get a f*cking smartphone for your kid.

Last edited:

Gogeta

Oct 9, 2012
Gingertown
CnC u rock man!!!!!:D:D

wanna thank xda? here

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361705004084.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361705004084.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 193

m4RinKo2

Oct 5, 2012
why teens dont need a smartphone?:rolleyes::rolleyes:
adults dont need smartphones. i bet 70/100 adults wont even know how to install a apk with package installer. they wont even know the name of OS running their phone. They dont even know what mobile they use. To them black colored Motorola or white color Samsung phone is the model name, asking what company iPhone the other bought. Ask then what android version their phone is running they will say 4.0.4 or 2.3.3 they will never even know that it is ICS or gingerbread.

About the article. The article is about your teen does not need an iPhone and not your teen does not need a smartphone. Clearly you are a adult and as i said earlier that adults lack info. iPhone is no smartphone it is failphone.

You said:
"I know that the only thing he might actually do with it just access facebook and twitter and just play some stupid games."
1. Dont tell me you dont access facebook or twitter from your phone:rolleyes:
2. Games are not stupid. People who think games are stupid are stupid.

If you open of profiles of developers be it android or windows, etc. you will see that most of them are about 16 or 17, many are about 20-25 and very less are "adults with teens". That knowledge was bestowed upon them by God or opening facebook and twitter and playing stupid games seems to teach them development right? NO. They know how to do it because they were given smartphones and they picked up interest in development. Even if some teen is not a developer it does not mean that he/she does not deserve a smartphone. Smartphones can be useful in many other ways. You can contact your friend for some doubt-solving on the night before exam, etc. What you said is like you should be given water to drink but not allowed urinate because then you will have to flush or clean the toilet the next day. Everything has its own pros and cons. Here the pros are more so why not give your teen a phone?

What use do adults have of smartphone if they are not smartphone enthusiast/techie/developer/or need to work on the go? It is a waste of money to get smartphones for adults ( :banghead: excluding the adult developers on XDA..).So now quit reading and get a f*cking smartphone for your kid.

I agree with you. I am 13 years old. I dont play games (some for fun). I dont have facebook. I have two ports of roms. I better understand in android then my bro that has 27 years (and he also have smartphone). He knows better in PC. This is my first smartphone which I have half year and I paid it 25$ (new one). And also I have good grades in school and I am not fat and I go out to play. Goodbye.

Sent from my GT-S5570I using xda app-developers app

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Buddy you'll be shocked that lots of decent developers here on xda-developers are teen. I myself started symbian development at the age of 17. So I think it's best not to generalize teens.
    as long as you have a phone that can talk and text i tink thats fine. no need for a phone. i still have my motorola razr

I use less than 100 minutes a month and now make less than 100 texts a month - so a "dumb phone" isn't very useful to me - more like something I carry around for an emergency that takes up space.

Now that I have data, I don't need the texts since I can use IM+ for the people I was formerly texting over 1000 times a month. That's not all that different, sure - but now I can easily access the people who aren't texting, but who are at their computers sending IMs.

The use of a smartphone isn't solely in communication - but in everything else it can do. Navigation is a big one - many times I'm out and need to know where something is. Formerly I'd have to put it off for another day, ask someone at a gas station, or call a friend and hope they could go to their computer and find out for me. Now I don't have to bother anyone and I'll never be over an hour late for the opera again.

I had to go to my friend's parents' house - somewhere I'd never been, in a part of the city I rarely go, and it was so much easier for me to just get the address from them and have the phone navigate than to try to keep them on the phone and give me a turn-by-turn - when they might not even know all the streets from here to there.

I don't have to try to plan eBay auctions based on when I'll be home.

I don't need to carry an iPod any more since I can put all the music I might want on my SD card. I was resistant to switch to an MP3 player in the first place. But then I realised that if I had one, I didn't have to pick which CDs I was going to bring with me that day - I could literally have them ALL with me in a tiny package.

My phone screen is big enough to watch a movie on while I'm waiting or on a plane or something. It's not the best, but much better than my iPod classic screen. The iPod Touch is nice enough, but at that point why not just get a phone that can do it all instead of carrying two things ?

With Astrid I don't need to constantly remember all the silly little things I need to do. I can keep a schedule much better now. I know that on Mondays I want to feed my lizard fruit for variety - and I can see that in my phone and know to stop by the store on my way home from work. I used the calendar on my dumb-phone, but this is a whole new level of being able to keep track of things easily. I have ADD and not having to constantly remind myself not to forget things, my phone can remember for me. That way I can use my brain for things that really matter, instead of repeating "pick up strawberries" to myself all day.

I used the calendar on my dumb-phone, but this is even better. Very easy access to my work schedule. And setting an alarm is incredibly simple. I've been using my mobile phone as an alarm clock since I've had one since it's been more reliable to me than one plugged into a wall. This makes things even easier - if I have a set alarm, it will remember that ever Wednesday I need to be up at 4:00pm (I work nights and I wouldn't have it any other way) or whatever.

I can use my bank's mobile app to deposit a check. I have literally been to the bank ONCE since I've gotten this phone, where formerly I had to go quite out of my way and it would sometimes take me over a week to get there after getting a paycheque. That one time was because I wanted to get my account number because I'd lost (well, not out of the house, but you know) the little card they'd written it on before.

It's more than a phone, it's a management device that also consolidates many physical objects like maps, planners, iPods, whatever. I even use it as a wallet fairly often now thanks to Google Wallet.

And of course, all the silly little things. I used it three times in the past day to look up an actors while we were watching a movie or whatever.
    Smartphones are super expensive and my teen has been begging me to get him one. I know that the only thing he might actually do with it just access facebook and twitter and just play some stupid games.

Don't buy your teen a smartphone.

Here's an article that gives you a list of reasons to say NO to your teen:
    http://appdigy.com/370/your-teen-does-not-need-an-iphone/
    If you do come around. Please don't get him a BlackBerry.

Sent from my GT-I9300

LOL

BB 10 will change the world..

Its going to revolutionize the smartphone :)
    Well, brace yourselves, here comes a 16 year olds opinion. What my dad did was get me a plan, but I had to buy the phone. It was great because it taught me some responsibility and gave me some leeway. Please don't lock your kid down from having a social life, also don't let him buy an iPhone. And yes, this nexus 4 was paid for in while by me. As where my previous 3 phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium