Note Taking Setup

Search This thread

Mateyo64

Apr 13, 2014
I've had the tablet for about a week and half now, and I absolutely love it. Since I've purchased the tablet, it's become a central part of note taking and studying for me. I just wanted to share how I use my tablet to study and I wanted to hear how everyone else else used their tablets for note taking so I could improve my setup.

So I use Evernote as the main app for note taking. I love its multiplatform sync ability. Whatever notes I take on my tablet will show up on my phone AND PC so I have access to my notes at all times. I also love that evernote has so many extensions (voice recording, document scanner, handwriting, etc). So this is the center of my note taking/ studying process.

I use the Logitech Keyboard for android tablets. I love it. Personally I think its well built and portable. Much better quality than those cheap keyboards that come with the cases. It's a little inconvenient to carry cause its essentially a separate device to carry around, but totally worth it for for the near laptop typing experience. I actually find that I don't use the stylus all that much. I'm an engineer so I thought I would absolutely be using the stylus but I find that its much easier to either type it out, copy paste the diagram I needed to draw from the professor's powerpoint (if they provide it before lecture), or just take a picture. What I do find really useful is using the stylus to edit pictures that I've taken. For instance, I was working on a prosthetic hand and needed to write down measurements. I just drew the measurements out on a picture I took of the hand! It was convenient and intuitive.

I use ANKI, a crossplatform flash card program/app that has latex capabilites. That means I can make flashcards with pictures, equations, chemical formulas, etc. I also love its formulic approach to flash cards so that it controls the amount of time that the card stays at the bottom of the deck so that you learn the concept long term instead of just cramming it into short term memory. What really makes this work is the combination of ANKI and evernote. I'll take the synced notes from evernote on my PC, and copy paste them into ANKI on my computer. Then tada! Flashcards are now synced to my phone, tablet, and PC with pictures, formulas, and questions with very little hassle.

So thats basically my note taking/ study setup. For those of you that use your tablet for taking notes or studying, how do you do it?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your methods.

ultra99

Mar 26, 2010
I've had the tablet for about a week and half now, and I absolutely love it. Since I've purchased the tablet, it's become a central part of note taking and studying for me. I just wanted to share how I use my tablet to study and I wanted to hear how everyone else else used their tablets for note taking so I could improve my setup.

So I use Evernote as the main app for note taking. I love its multiplatform sync ability. Whatever notes I take on my tablet will show up on my phone AND PC so I have access to my notes at all times. I also love that evernote has so many extensions (voice recording, document scanner, handwriting, etc). So this is the center of my note taking/ studying process.

I use the Logitech Keyboard for android tablets. I love it. Personally I think its well built and portable. Much better quality than those cheap keyboards that come with the cases. It's a little inconvenient to carry cause its essentially a separate device to carry around, but totally worth it for for the near laptop typing experience. I actually find that I don't use the stylus all that much. I'm an engineer so I thought I would absolutely be using the stylus but I find that its much easier to either type it out, copy paste the diagram I needed to draw from the professor's powerpoint (if they provide it before lecture), or just take a picture. What I do find really useful is using the stylus to edit pictures that I've taken. For instance, I was working on a prosthetic hand and needed to write down measurements. I just drew the measurements out on a picture I took of the hand! It was convenient and intuitive.

I use ANKI, a crossplatform flash card program/app that has latex capabilites. That means I can make flashcards with pictures, equations, chemical formulas, etc. I also love its formulic approach to flash cards so that it controls the amount of time that the card stays at the bottom of the deck so that you learn the concept long term instead of just cramming it into short term memory. What really makes this work is the combination of ANKI and evernote. I'll take the synced notes from evernote on my PC, and copy paste them into ANKI on my computer. Then tada! Flashcards are now synced to my phone, tablet, and PC with pictures, formulas, and questions with very little hassle.

So thats basically my note taking/ study setup. For those of you that use your tablet for taking notes or studying, how do you do it?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your methods.

Thanks for your mini-review! That what I was looking for, a simple tablet for note taking. Can you try Lecture Notes, I use that on my galaxy note, but want to know how it performs on this one.

I wan to read lots of pdfs and docs, how reading on it?

rchrdcrg

Nov 19, 2010
Branson, MO
www.youtube.com
I found the included Write program to be extremely simple and efficient once you learn it. I loved it so much that when I got my hands on a Galaxy Note 2, I immediately installed it and have almost never used SNote... I also don't really use my TN7 nearly as much now, either, although it's still a badass gaming tablet, so I still use it for that. If you haven't been sold on Write, try looking into the features more deeply... their description of it as "a word processor for handwriting" it pretty spot-on, and I'd be lost without it. The only feature it lacks is syncing, but now that I have a GNote 2 instead of a regular phone and my TN7, I don't really need that feature as I'm no longer carrying two devices around with me.

6stringandy

Feb 9, 2011
Macon, GA
Thanks for your mini-review! That what I was looking for, a simple tablet for note taking. Can you try Lecture Notes, I use that on my galaxy note, but want to know how it performs on this one.

I wan to read lots of pdfs and docs, how reading on it?

Reading on this tablet is great. I use "docstogo" for regular documents and pdfs. And I use "Moon Reader" for comics.

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

tsbrewers

Mar 19, 2009
Reading on this tablet is great. I use "docstogo" for regular documents and pdfs. And I use "Moon Reader" for comics.

I have a few minor beefs with the write app but overall it has worked well for me. There were a few things I emailed the developer about and gave me a few tips that helped.

One beef was that it wouldn't respond to my fingers when I was trying to scroll around or zoom. That seems better in the last update though. The other thing is when you add an image to the document. When it is inserted and highlighted, it is very hard to grab the corner to shrink/enlarge the picture. Most times it de-selects the picture and I have to re-select it with the box tool, then when I try to resize it again, many times de-selecting it again.

My last "beef" is the size of the tablet. If it was a 10" or larger, it would be much better to write on. I have to zoom way in to write legibly, which means after writing a word or two, I have to scroll over to write more.

Reactions: Takx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have a few minor beefs with the write app but overall it has worked well for me. There were a few things I emailed the developer about and gave me a few tips that helped.

One beef was that it wouldn't respond to my fingers when I was trying to scroll around or zoom. That seems better in the last update though. The other thing is when you add an image to the document. When it is inserted and highlighted, it is very hard to grab the corner to shrink/enlarge the picture. Most times it de-selects the picture and I have to re-select it with the box tool, then when I try to resize it again, many times de-selecting it again.

My last "beef" is the size of the tablet. If it was a 10" or larger, it would be much better to write on. I have to zoom way in to write legibly, which means after writing a word or two, I have to scroll over to write more.