[OBSOLETE] Disable OTA update notification

Search This thread

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
When an OTA update becomes available, there is a recurrent notification prompting to upgrade.
The below method tricks the OS into thinking that it is already at the latest version, in effect stopping the update notification from appearing.

I am not responsible for anything you do with your device.

Pre-requisite
  • Device must be rooted

Steps
  1. Download FOTAKill apk
  2. Put the apk in "/system/app"
  3. Set proper file permissions (644, or rw-r--r--) for the apk
  4. Clear "/cache" (e.g. boot into CWM and clear cache)
  5. Reboot

Check "Settings > About tablet > System updates" and it should show "up to date" now.
Note that after rebooting there may still be a notification to update, after clearing no further notification will appear.

Rollback
  • To re-enable OTA update notification, delete the apk and reboot!

Last edited:

wilx

Dec 11, 2007
lately since Android 4.2 OTA update became available for my device, there was a recurrent update notification prompting me to update..
as i dont want to upgrade yet due to app incompatibility issues not being resolved, i asked for help and was given a solution after searching and reading some posts..
it worked for me and i would like to share it here as i found that there were other users looking for a solution like i did..

ur device needs to be rooted to follow the steps below..

steps:
(1) download FOTAKill (firmware over-the-air kill) apk
(2) put the apk in "/system/app" with a file explorer
(3) set proper file permissions (644) for the apk
(4) clear "/cache" (i booted into CWM and cleared cache there)
(5) reboot
(6) check "Settings > About tablet > System updates".. should tell you "up to date" now..

note that after rebooting i still got a notification on update, but after clearing it there was no further notification since then..

Thanks,worked great, I didn't even need to clear the cache. On reboot, it said updating.... I panicked for a second, but it only reported for a coupe of seconds, then once booted, it said update available. I cleared the message and now the update has gone! In about phone - system update it reports upto date

yaroslav_s

Sep 2, 2012
OnePlus 8 Pro
Another possibility to get rid of OTA updates reminders on 4.1.2:

In the file "/system/build.prop" find the string starting "ro.build.fingerprint" and after symbol "=" add the following "google/nakasi/grouper:4.2/JOP40C/XXXXXX:user/release-keys"
Instead of XXXXXX place the figures from the string "ro.build.version.incremental"
Make the nandroid backup prior to this.
For editing file use Root Explorer.
After editing - reboot and connect to the Internet - the reminding should stop.

Reactions: danton47

mikebz5

Aug 6, 2010
OR... download Autorun manager from the Play store and disable the following in Services( must enable system settings in preferences)

Receiver com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService

Requires root access

Last edited:

andro54

Oct 17, 2010
Thanks,worked great, I didn't even need to clear the cache. On reboot, it said updating.... I panicked for a second, but it only reported for a coupe of seconds, then once booted, it said update available. I cleared the message and now the update has gone! In about phone - system update it reports upto date

Same here thank you iamelton!

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
the clear cache part is for those who might have already downloaded the update package file (which is about 80MB) by the ota service.. it removes this file and frees up some cache space..

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
What does FOTAkill actually do to your system?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
sorry but i have no idea what it actually does to the system, apart from the obvious function of stopping the OTA service..

from this page, it requires the following permissions..
Code:
android.permission.RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED
com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.WRITE_GSERVICES
com.google.android.providers.gsf.permission.READ_GSERVICES

datorprofessor

Nov 16, 2012
It worked. I follwed your insttrucction. I made file permission to 755 instead. Is there any different? I already had 4.2 but not that one with multi user. I think the update will partition the SDcard, but maybe it already did from 4.1.2 to 4.2 with sdcard0 and emulated. That iswhat I already have. But not the multiuser. I was wondering if it will also block update 4.3 4.4 etc? ??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app.

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
It worked. I follwed your insttrucction. I made file permission to 755 instead. Is there any different? I already had 4.2 but not that one with multi user. I think the update will partition the SDcard, but maybe it already did from 4.1.2 to 4.2 with sdcard0 and emulated. That iswhat I already have. But not the multiuser. I was wondering if it will also block update 4.3 4.4 etc? ??

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app.

afaik it should stop any future OTA updates regardless of android versions..
and granting permission 755 is more than the needed 644, but that does no harm..

i thought 4.2 was the version with multi-user support, but then im not on 4.2 yet so cant tell much about it..

gelhack

Nov 20, 2012
What Google did with OTG / Stickmount / DirectoryBind on 4.2 was a real buzz kill, so I don't want it now
either. I'm not going to hold my breath on this, but I'm hoping that some future update might allow real
data sharing on a USB stick, so I might eventually want to do an update. My question is this:

If I install FOTAKill to stop the notices etc, will uninstalling it allow me to update again?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
What Google did with OTG / Stickmount / DirectoryBind on 4.2 was a real buzz kill, so I don't want it now
either. I'm not going to hold my breath on this, but I'm hoping that some future update might allow real
data sharing on a USB stick, so I might eventually want to do an update. My question is this:

If I install FOTAKill to stop the notices etc, will uninstalling it allow me to update again?

i think removing the apk from /system/app/ should allow OTA notifications to show again, though i have not tried it yet..

btw, we have the same reason as why not to upgrade..

jack00000

Nov 17, 2012
I used this from other thread, forgot where it is.

"Install Autostarts app.
Go to "After Startup"
Scroll down until you see "Google Services Framework"
There should be several of them. For me it was the third one. Touch it and read the bottom of the popup to find out. It will say "Receiver com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService. ....(you get the point)
Disable it. Done..."

Peaceful on 4.1.2. :p

helloterence

Dec 31, 2011
There's another alternative way that I used that worked:

In the file "/system/build.prop" find the string starting "ro.build.fingerprint" and after symbol "=" add the following "google/nakasi/grouper:4.2/JOP40C/XXXXXX:user/release-keys"
Instead of XXXXXX place the figures from the string "ro.build.version.incremental"

iamelton

Feb 10, 2011
Hong Kong
OnePlus Nord
There's another alternative way that I used that worked:

thx for ur method..

i suspect this method only applies to the OTA of android 4.2, which means future OTA alerts of, say, 4.2.1 will pop up again..

gelhack

Nov 20, 2012
I'm assuming that updates to 4.2 and 4.2.1 are incremental, and as such you couldn't install or get a notification for 4.2.1 until you installed 4.2. So any method that stopped 4.2 notices would also stop 4.2.1 notices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When an OTA update becomes available, there is a recurrent notification prompting to upgrade.
    The below method tricks the OS into thinking that it is already at the latest version, in effect stopping the update notification from appearing.

I am not responsible for anything you do with your device.

Pre-requisite
    • Device must be rooted

Steps
    1. Download FOTAKill apk
    2. Put the apk in "/system/app"
    3. Set proper file permissions (644, or rw-r--r--) for the apk
    4. Clear "/cache" (e.g. boot into CWM and clear cache)
    5. Reboot

Check "Settings > About tablet > System updates" and it should show "up to date" now.
    Note that after rebooting there may still be a notification to update, after clearing no further notification will appear.

Rollback
    • To re-enable OTA update notification, delete the apk and reboot!
    OR... download Autorun manager from the Play store and disable the following in Services( must enable system settings in preferences)

Receiver com.google.android.gsf.update.SystemUpdateService

Requires root access
    Another possibility to get rid of OTA updates reminders on 4.1.2: