With the reviews getting in are you still getting your XZ?

did the reviews alter your decision to get the XZ

• Yes I have canceled my pre-order

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Only if the m7 turns out to be better

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Wasn't planing to get it and now I now why

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Most are positive so I don't see a problem

Votes: 66 43.7%
  • I wait till the S4, and than I will see

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • After reading I made the decision to buy one

Votes: 35 23.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

marcgear

Feb 9, 2013
Wolverhampton
I have read every review i can find seen it in the shops and must say IMO it is the best phone at the time of me needing to purchase a new one. All phones and every other purchase in fact is not perfect if it was we would never need to move forward. For me its a big upgrade from my last im more than happy. A little disappointed about internal speaker volume as i use that a lot however im getting a free speaker with my phone so cant complain.

Super Chimp

Nov 5, 2008
Aside from trying a 920 the problem is I am coming from a GS3 & that sets the bar pretty high as far as phones are concerned so my next phone has to surpass that level and I am not sure the Xperia Z does.

decentgi

Mar 24, 2012
sydney
reviews

its so funny listening to phonearena review on htc one when at the end he made a comment about the camera quality saying the the device is a pre production device and that final release will be better, but also finished of by saying that it was the best camera to date that they have reviewed on smart phone.
anyone who has seen sample shots of the htc and xperia z will tell you that you dont have to have half a brain to see that sony is far better cam than htc but also didnt extend that same courtesy to sony when he reviewed the xperia z, regarding the pre production unit.

its so obvious that you have a few reviewers that are bias and there reviews should not be taken seriously

schrickm5

Mar 21, 2011
Sundsvall
I will wait until I can physically test both phones (HTC One and the EZ). I am drawn to the One right now (h/w, screen and sound).... But the Z is unbelievably beautiful and will have better development support by Sony.....
I don't really care what Samsung bring to the table.... I've had a Galaxy phone for far too long. Time to change.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

xX NeOnShK Xx

Feb 22, 2013
New Delhi
All the reviews are so polarized that it is useless reading them. Some say camera is awesome, battery life 1.5 days, gorgeous screen while others heavily criticize the same. Its best to try out the phone and see for yourself.

vicedens2002

Mar 27, 2010
Chennai
Hello, I did a side by side comparison of the ZL and the HTC One X, and I can confirm what phone arena states about the screen, it is inferior to HTCs offering. However, when you use it without comparing it to any other phone on the market it is adequate.

Can you tell more about he ZL. I will be buying it.. how's the display when looking straight on ? I don't care about viewing angles...

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda app-developers app

decentgi

Mar 24, 2012
sydney
Aside from trying a 920 the problem is I am coming from a GS3 & that sets the bar pretty high as far as phones are concerned so my next phone has to surpass that level and I am not sure the Xperia Z does.

the samsung galazy s 3 is a terrible device spec wise its decent but come on sounds to me you like watching cartoons, if you like looking at the samsung screen than sony xperia z screen is not for you.

plus the sony xperia z screen is for big boys why dont you came back to reality and start being a big boy lol and get over your cartoon faze lol.

Someone made an excellent point about the screen and purchasing items using online shopping , dont expect to see the correct colour representation of what ever item your purchasing if your using the samsung s 3. if you want the most true to life experience get the z that is what sony was going after anyway with this handset

Super Chimp

Nov 5, 2008
the samsung galazy s 3 is a terrible device spec wise its decent but come on sounds to me you like watching cartoons, if you like looking at the samsung screen than sony xperia z screen is not for you.

plus the sony xperia z screen is for big boys why dont you came back to reality and start being a big boy lol and get over your cartoon faze lol.

Someone made an excellent point about the screen and purchasing items using online shopping , dont expect to see the correct colour representation of what ever item your purchasing if your using the samsung s 3. if you want the most true to life experience get the z that is what sony was going after anyway with this handset

I always found the S3 screen rather dull even when playing around with the settings.

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
its so funny listening to phonearena review on htc one when at the end he made a comment about the camera quality saying the the device is a pre production device and that final release will be better, but also finished of by saying that it was the best camera to date that they have reviewed on smart phone.
anyone who has seen sample shots of the htc and xperia z will tell you that you dont have to have half a brain to see that sony is far better cam than htc but also didnt extend that same courtesy to sony when he reviewed the xperia z, regarding the pre production unit.

its so obvious that you have a few reviewers that are bias and there reviews should not be taken seriously

Does anybody still take phonearena reviews seriously ? Come on guys, read them for a while - you'll notice so many bs, contradictions and bias - it's not even funny anymore. Sometimes i get the feeling they're not really testing those devices because they often state things that are completely wrong ( like HTC One's camera being "the best" when in fact it makes worse photos than the original HTC One ) etc.

SonicFlare

Jul 27, 2008
Xperia ZX by form factor is similar to my current device HTC Dell Venue Pro, and Sony has been very open with developer community, releasing all the ROM's and providing boot unlocker. Now, who else do that?
Compared to HTC One, I don't like the big brick devices :D And HTC does not have a card slot, which is big downer.
The 0.2 GHz downside of Z, is compensated by the other phone features. Its not the big downer, imho

nasty159

Jan 31, 2011
Xperia ZX by form factor is similar to my current device HTC Dell Venue Pro, and Sony has been very open with developer community, releasing all the ROM's and providing boot unlocker. Now, who else do that?
Compared to HTC One, I don't like the big brick devices :D And HTC does not have a card slot, which is big downer.
The 0.2 GHz downside of Z, is compensated by the other phone features. Its not the big downer, imho

It's not just a 0.2GHz increase in processor you know... it is a new processor. XZ is using last year's processor in this years phone. While the S400 is very similar to the S4 Pro in the Xperia Z it still smashes it in benchmarks.

xl VipeR lx

Sep 17, 2007
UK
It's not just a 0.2GHz increase in processor you know... it is a new processor. XZ is using last year's processor in this years phone. While the S400 is very similar to the S4 Pro in the Xperia Z it still smashes it in benchmarks.

Just because a car out there is faster than mine does not mean there is anything in mine.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

nasty159

Jan 31, 2011
Just because a car out there is faster than mine does not mean there is anything in mine.

That kinda made no sense. But I was just making a point to the other bloke who was saying the only difference is a .2GHZ increase when actually it is a whole new cpu.

itsmemuffins

Jun 13, 2010
Phone arrived this morning and now it's back in its box ready to go back.

Yuck, what was Sony thinking with that screen. Looks like the screen from the Htc Titan only difference is the resolution.

futurama

Jan 19, 2009
Phone arrived this morning and now it's back in its box ready to go back.

Yuck, what was Sony thinking with that screen. Looks like the screen from the Htc Titan only difference is the resolution.

Did you use it long enough to play with the settings.
I can't prove this but I have noticed the screen improve over the week I have had it, and I came from a note 2 yet I have no issue with the XZ screen. I always found the amoled screens over saturated anyway, photos were so unnatural

itsmemuffins

Jun 13, 2010
Did you use it long enough to play with the settings.
I can't prove this but I have noticed the screen improve over the week I have had it, and I came from a note 2 yet I have no issue with the XZ screen. I always found the amoled screens over saturated anyway, photos were so unnatural

There s nothing that can improve. It's like a cheap tn panel.

Apr 6, 2011
I'm in serious dilemma

Seriously, after seeing so many reviews on many websites, up to 80++ videos and hundred/thousand of comments/threads/reply all over the internet. It really make me in serious dilemma.
I been in LOVE with this phone when it leak out in news, the designs and UI are beautiful,with 5inch FULL HD display and 13mp exmor RS sensor with 2330mah.
From most of reviews and feedback of the Xperia Z owners, I do come out with some points.
Which battery life is decent with 4-5hours screen on, which is quite fair for 5inch Full HD TFT screen.
What back me off are :
1) the 13mp camera, still taking overcompressing pics which might degrade the pics quality?:confused:
as what they did on others' Xperia phones before. But yet some say is decent, some say is below par with S3 and Htc One X.
If rooting can gain access for decreasing the compression rate by the camera and take better quality pics, it would be nice. :laugh:
2) the display might not as good as others like S3, HTC butterfly interm of view angle as it's only TFT. The colors appearances might be vary depends on people's taste, so hoping there's a display callibration tools to be release by Sony or developers if possible, then it would be Excellent. :p:p
And last, which only concern for me is, whether my telco is going to release this Z bundle with dock or NFC speaker, or at least avaiable to be sell when the Z release.

Add-up : I also heard that there are many suffer of deadpixel on this phone which quite a lots as I seen in this forum, aiks. ><
I really want to get a non-defected XZ. what to do.
Might just go to the telco shop and close my eye to pay for XZ. ROAR !!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Where is the option "i dont care about reviews, i want it and im gonna get it regardless" ? :)

I dont trust reviews. Note 2 and S3 were reviewed as the best phones even - and i'm really disappointed by those two. It's funny how reviewers sometimes ignore obvious flaws about one phone, but riot about a tiny detail in another. Reviews are not objective - so i don't really care about them. It's nice to read and compare opinions, but i always prefer to just get the phone and decide for myself.

So unless at least 5-10 review say something really bad about the battery ( like not lasting a full day even on light use, which is not the case ) i'm not going to even think about cancelling.

This ^^^^^^, I had all top phones from the top three Android OEMs you could say? I had Xperia S, I had SGS3, I had One S, I had One X, I had Xperia T and I had GN2. I am going to cast my opinions of the phones, others may feel differently.

First of all let me start with the two phones that were supposed to be the best phones of the year:
    S3/note 2 - Good points: battery life was great especially note 2, notification light, camera autofocus/speed, camera quality outdoors/indoros at night with flash, design of the phones, audio quality, I liked the extra volume in phone calls and earpeice/loud speakers are very good.

Bad points , boring boring boring UI, horrid keyboard, S3 screen I thought was horrible, alot of those so called smart features didn't work very well on either phone, audio volume was low on s3 note 2 was a bit louder, I could always see the pixels and screen didn't look very smooth on S3, note 2 dispite lower ppi and bigger screen was much better due to normal RGB arrangement, camera indoors with lighting was washed out on both S3/GN2, audio recording was better on note 2 but still not upto scratch especially when recording moving objects and just generally found the phones really boring.

Xperia S/T - Good points: screen, camera/video quality, video audio, xperia UI, keyboard, notification light on xperia S, design of both phones, audio quality, loud speaker/earpiece speaker on xperia s, speed and performance on xperia t

Bad points: slow performance on xperia s, poor battery life on both, poor loud speaker/earpiece speaker on t, audio volume on both, pointless notification light on t, button placement on t, slow auto focus on both.

One S/X - Good Points: screen on X, Camera/video quality on both, auto focus speed, video audio on s, battery life on s, HTC have best UI and keyboard imo, notification light, design on both phones, audio quality and volume, earpiece/loudspeaker, speed and performance,

Bad points - screen on s, battery life and over heating on x, poor memory on s only 9.9gb, video audio on x was too sharp and video was too zoomed in on both phones.

Here is hoping that HTC improve video audio/zooming and battery life, in regards to sony i believe they are there now and it is for these reasons I am sticking with SONY and HTC from now on.
    If i read the reviews of the z before playing with it, my heart would have sank and I would have probably cancelled my pre order however I have played with the phone have spent over 3hours now playing with it in the shops and I dont have any complaints about it and I am hearing good things about battery life so for me everything has been improved over the s/t. PA gave the one x 7.8/10 didn't phase me I thought it was a great phone bar the poor battery and overheating due to the tegra 3. also most reviews said the camera was bad I didn't think so atall I found it better than the s3/note 2 which all reviews generally praised.

I have learned not to trust reviews anyway and to go and evaluate a product myself. If everyone listened to reviews in the car world/family hatch segment all would have a golf for example and in phone world either iphone or s3. Reviews at the end of the day are subjective imo and some say one feature is good or give something a score another review may say that feature is bad and give it a different score. I am my own reviewer.
    Where is the option "i dont care about reviews, i want it and im gonna get it regardless" ? :)

I dont trust reviews. Note 2 and S3 were reviewed as the best phones even - and i'm really disappointed by those two. It's funny how reviewers sometimes ignore obvious flaws about one phone, but riot about a tiny detail in another. Reviews are not objective - so i don't really care about them. It's nice to read and compare opinions, but i always prefer to just get the phone and decide for myself.

So unless at least 5-10 review say something really bad about the battery ( like not lasting a full day even on light use, which is not the case ) i'm not going to even think about cancelling.
    I'm curious if there is an affect on your buying decision after reading the reviews.
    What is there in those reviews that would put me off from buying one?

Problems with camera images? Not that big of a deal, I don't make photos with my phone for a living. Lag? I doubt there is any. Battery life? People report a whole day of medium to heavy usage, which is what I get from my Galaxy S3 anyway. Build quality? It's waterproof, I don't mind having to open flaps every time I want to plug in my headset.

What else is there?
    Dont think you did get the phone today, think your chatting bs and trolling
    I love chocolate cake and boobies.