[Solved] Flash EVO back to Sprint from Cricket/MetroPCS!

Search This thread

netwokz

Jul 25, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
My roommate bought an EVO 4G off Craigslist that was pre-flashed to MetroPCS. It had a clean ESN, so I tried to have it activated. I finally got voice and text to work, but no data. After searching the web, visiting flashing stores, and spending hours on the phone with Sprint's so called "Technical Support" over the last week, I finally figured it out...

This is my first tutorial, so bare with me. And I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, it seemed most appropriate. I performed all this in Windows 7 x64.

First you need some software-
1. QPST - http://www.mediafire.com/?m4s81a4zsdbmhen
2. HTC Diag phone drivers - http://www.mediafire.com/?631456zwxi09hh2
3. PRL File 60650 - http://www.corolada.com/prl/
4. I'm not sure if you need ADB installed, but I already did.
5. You will also need to know your MSL. It will most likely be 000000 if your phone is coming from Cricket or MetroPCS.

Now that we have those, we can get to work.
6. Connect your phone via USB and type in ##3424#, your phone should now be in Diag mode. Make sure USB Debugging is ENABLED!
7. Open your device manager in Windows and right click the unknown device "HTC DIAG", Select Update driver.
8. Select Browse my computer for driver. Click select device from list, Click next, Then click "Have Disk" and point to the appropriate HTC Diag driver folder you downloaded.
9. You now should have HTC Modem installed correctly. Right click on it and go to Properties, Then click on the modem tab. Find your port number eg. COM1, COM2, etc.
10. Open up QPST Configuration, Click the PORTS tab. On the bottom right click add port. Add the port you just found from the step above, and hit Enable.
11. Go back to the active phones tab, double click your phone.
12. On the bottom click read from phone. Then save it for a backup.
13. Click on Roaming tab. Find the PRL box, click browse and add your 60650 PRL file you downloaded.
14. Go back to the CDMA tab. Under phone number click the Class 1 box. Enter your phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx) minus dashes in the box next to Class 1.
15. Click write to phone. Hard parts over!

16. Once that finishes, unplug and reboot your phone.
17. Go to Settings>Update Software>Update PRL then reboot again.
17. Once its back up go into your dialer. Punch in ##3282#. Hit Edit Mode. The password is your MSL.
18. Once in goto Data Profile. Hit Menu then hit RESET.
19. Your phone should now reboot and be able to activate on Sprints network!

I already did this for my roommate, so I am writing this out of memory. I wanted to post pictures but I would have to take CM7 off my phone and redo all of it... grrrr.
Again, this is my first guide so i might have missed something. But I hope not. So many people have helped me here on XDA, so this is my contribution to the community. I hope this helps some people.

rrr1986

Dec 20, 2009
Brownsville, TX
I did this to a hero. I believe I just cleared all the ##data stuff and pep update manually.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

netwokz

Jul 25, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I tried that to. But the only way to make it work was to flash the new PRL file. Neither Sprint or a Cricket flashing place could fix it. Which I thought was pretty stupid.

amoamare

Jul 17, 2006
Another quick way of doing it.
Load Stock RUU.
This will rewrite PRL, NV items etc back as it rewrites the radio wich controls these.

Once done ##RTN# need MSL to use this, but this will help as well. and your done.

S

sirmx

This is handy to have, and even better to have a few different ways to do it.

brax

Dec 29, 2008
followed the guide, however data and market place is not working

calls and text work fine, any ideas ? thanks

netwokz

Jul 25, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Load Stock RUU.
This will rewrite PRL, NV items etc back as it rewrites the radio wich controls these.

Once done ##RTN# need MSL to use this, but this will help as well. and your done.

I tried this like 4 times, and it would never flash the PRL... the way I did it, it finally flashed sprints PRL.

followed the guide, however data and market place is not working

calls and text work fine, any ideas ? thanks

Go into your phone settings, goto About Phone, what is the PRL number listed?

brax

Dec 29, 2008
i am pretty sure i flashed the "60650.prl"
however i sold the phone and it will be back here tomorrow for repairs....

i had the guy do the settings -> update prl without luck....

sigh thanks for any help! :)

netwokz

Jul 25, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
i am pretty sure i flashed the "60650.prl"
however i sold the phone and it will be back here tomorrow for repairs....

i had the guy do the settings -> update prl without luck....

sigh thanks for any help! :)

Well if for some reason it didn't flash, then "update PRL" wont work cause its not looking for sprints PRL. Try to see what PRL is loaded on the phone, then I can probably help a little better.

brax

Dec 29, 2008
yeah thats what i figured, didnt know if that was a hex abbreviation with sprint's software for the prl or what... waiting for him to text me back...

i am pretty sure when i waited for him to activate the phone it showed a 3g icon when voice and text went active.. you sure if the prl is wrong everything else would work except data/mms/marketplace? thanks

the prl is = 60675

netwokz

Jul 25, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
yeah thats what i figured, didnt know if that was a hex abbreviation with sprint's software for the prl or what... waiting for him to text me back...

i am pretty sure when i waited for him to activate the phone it showed a 3g icon when voice and text went active.. you sure if the prl is wrong everything else would work except data/mms/marketplace? thanks

the prl is = 60675

Well you have a Sprint PRL. Did the phone go through the Hands Free Activation when you tried to activate it? If you see a 3G symbol then all should be good. You could have him call Sprint and tell them data isn't working and you need to re-activate it...

brax

Dec 29, 2008
well we had to type in a diag code then hit update and then it activated, not OTA to get talk and text going... he said he spent a hour at the sprint store today and they couldnt solve it

brax

Dec 29, 2008
i asked the guy via text to do the guide through 17 to end, he says they tried that at the sprint store... without luck... i guess i can try it tomorrow when the phones in my hands unless anyone else has any other ideas....

brax

Dec 29, 2008
what i did was followed this guide after flashing a oem RUU back to the phone

"RUU_Supersonic_1.47.651.1_Radio_2.05.00.06.10_release_CL195459"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My roommate bought an EVO 4G off Craigslist that was pre-flashed to MetroPCS. It had a clean ESN, so I tried to have it activated. I finally got voice and text to work, but no data. After searching the web, visiting flashing stores, and spending hours on the phone with Sprint's so called "Technical Support" over the last week, I finally figured it out...

This is my first tutorial, so bare with me. And I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, it seemed most appropriate. I performed all this in Windows 7 x64.

First you need some software-
    1. QPST - http://www.mediafire.com/?m4s81a4zsdbmhen
    2. HTC Diag phone drivers - http://www.mediafire.com/?631456zwxi09hh2
    3. PRL File 60650 - http://www.corolada.com/prl/
    4. I'm not sure if you need ADB installed, but I already did.
    5. You will also need to know your MSL. It will most likely be 000000 if your phone is coming from Cricket or MetroPCS.

Now that we have those, we can get to work.
    6. Connect your phone via USB and type in ##3424#, your phone should now be in Diag mode. Make sure USB Debugging is ENABLED!
    7. Open your device manager in Windows and right click the unknown device "HTC DIAG", Select Update driver.
    8. Select Browse my computer for driver. Click select device from list, Click next, Then click "Have Disk" and point to the appropriate HTC Diag driver folder you downloaded.
    9. You now should have HTC Modem installed correctly. Right click on it and go to Properties, Then click on the modem tab. Find your port number eg. COM1, COM2, etc.
    10. Open up QPST Configuration, Click the PORTS tab. On the bottom right click add port. Add the port you just found from the step above, and hit Enable.
    11. Go back to the active phones tab, double click your phone.
    12. On the bottom click read from phone. Then save it for a backup.
    13. Click on Roaming tab. Find the PRL box, click browse and add your 60650 PRL file you downloaded.
    14. Go back to the CDMA tab. Under phone number click the Class 1 box. Enter your phone number (xxx-xxx-xxxx) minus dashes in the box next to Class 1.
    15. Click write to phone. Hard parts over!

16. Once that finishes, unplug and reboot your phone.
    17. Go to Settings>Update Software>Update PRL then reboot again.
    17. Once its back up go into your dialer. Punch in ##3282#. Hit Edit Mode. The password is your MSL.
    18. Once in goto Data Profile. Hit Menu then hit RESET.
    19. Your phone should now reboot and be able to activate on Sprints network!

I already did this for my roommate, so I am writing this out of memory. I wanted to post pictures but I would have to take CM7 off my phone and redo all of it... grrrr.
    Again, this is my first guide so i might have missed something. But I hope not. So many people have helped me here on XDA, so this is my contribution to the community. I hope this helps some people.
    Load Stock RUU.

sorry i did not, talk and text were working but no data, however i did not really have enough time with it activated to really get anything troubleshooted really... :(