[App] Connection Checker

Search This thread

Lunacy1134

Jan 10, 2011
Hi - I'm a new Android developer and would like to get your feedback on my first app, Connection Checker.

Description: If your Wifi or Mobile connection drops out all the time, Connection Checker will let you know when your network is down and will try to fix it.

Use it when you have crummy Wifi connections or when your mobile connection disconnects too often.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The current market version of Connection Checker uses in-app billing for some features, but I'm going to be releasing a full paid version shortly. I've included the apk for the paid version below. Any feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Jeremy

PS: I've mostly been a lurker on XDA, so if this post is inappropriate I apologize.

Market link for the free version:

Market link to Pro (paid app):

Beta Pro version: (beta V1.0.12)

Changelog:

v1.0.12
* The "Mobile Action" is only selectable in Froyo and Older. This is to reduce confusion because that option doesn't work in Gingerbread and later. Also other minor preference panel changes.

v1.0.11
* You can now select between toggling Airplane mode and toggling just the mobile connection. (This only works on 2.2 and older devices).
* Added option to stop check when Bluetooth is enabled.
* Improved some translations
* Reliability fix for Toggle Airplane (and mobile)

v1.0.10
* Major reliability improvement - much more accurate connection check

v1.0.9
* Added support for Japanese and Korean in app

v1.0.8
* Initial Release

Attachments

• ConnectionChecker-SS1.png
    ConnectionChecker-SS1.png
    48 KB · Views: 11,859
  • ConnectionChecker-SS2.png
    ConnectionChecker-SS2.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 11,861
  • ConnectionCheckerPro-v1.0.9.apk
    160.7 KB · Views: 4,231
  • ConnectionCheckerProAPK.png
    ConnectionCheckerProAPK.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 7,134
  • ConnectionCheckerMarket.png
    ConnectionCheckerMarket.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 11,794
Last edited:

Lunacy1134

Jan 10, 2011
At me constantly disappears gprs on an insertion 2.3! How this program can cure? htc desire reflex s 1.9.9

Hey - This program is really designed to detect when the internet appears to be working, but doesn't actually work. If the connection is actually dropping out on you, this app can't make it *not* drop out.

jimbobalu

Jan 26, 2010
Minneapolis
How will this work with programs like JuiceDefender that turn off radios when the screen is off? Could you make your app only active when the screen is on?

Captain Bungers

Feb 4, 2011
Bungers
Hey Jeremy

Nice name btw :) The app appears to be working, however I believe the known wifi drop-out issue in the Freex10 beta4 ROM has reared its ugly head. The log goes as follows:

8:26:17 WIFI connection up
8:32:32 WIFI connection up
8:37:49 Bad Wifi Connection; Disabling for 30 minutes
8:43:04 No active network
8:43:47 No active network

etc.

The wifi is still switched on on my phone (XPERIA X10i) and the wifi network at home is working, so the issue is obviously with the updated ROM. I have to either swith the phone wifi off then on, or reconnect to the network manually.

I realise this isn't a problem with your app (which seems pretty good) however I thought you (and other FreeX10 users) might be interested to know this.

Cheers

Jeremy

EDIT: I just installed the Blade WIFI fix and my phone doesn't seem to drop out anymore...

Now to retest this app again :)

Last edited:

Lunacy1134

Jan 10, 2011
Hey Jeremy

Nice name btw :) The app appears to be working, however I believe the known wifi drop-out issue in the Freex10 beta4 ROM has reared its ugly head. The log goes as follows:

8:26:17 WIFI connection up
8:32:32 WIFI connection up
8:37:49 Bad Wifi Connection; Disabling for 30 minutes
8:43:04 No active network
8:43:47 No active network

etc.

The wifi is still switched on on my phone (XPERIA X10i) and the wifi network at home is working, so the issue is obviously with the updated ROM. I have to either swith the phone wifi off then on, or reconnect to the network manually.

I realise this isn't a problem with your app (which seems pretty good) however I thought you (and other FreeX10 users) might be interested to know this.

Cheers

Jeremy

EDIT: I just installed the Blade WIFI fix and my phone doesn't seem to drop out anymore...

Now to retest this app again :)

I'm not familiar with that so I'll have to look into it more. I'm planning on making the app a little bit smarter when it detects a failure, so that might help in your case.

Lunacy1134

Jan 10, 2011
any info on battery life?! background apps that constantly DO something usually drain battery a lot

The app has been fairly widely used for a few weeks now, and most people say that their battery life improves. My best guess about that is that when on a bad connection the device wastes more power. Honestly, I thought the app would be a battery killer when I wrote it, but on the two devices I use it seems to have zero change.

-Jeremy

Muhman007

Aug 26, 2010
Mansfield
Yes, I'm giving this a go also since my WiFi gets flaky on the other side of the house. It will be nice to know when it drops and then set it to re-enable instead of me getting frustrated.

Ciao!

risqu3

Jan 1, 2010
Toronto
tried the free and the pro version, doesn't seem to enable Wifi when my mobile connection is dropped. don't know why

running miui 1.5.13 on Galaxy S

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi - I'm a new Android developer and would like to get your feedback on my first app, Connection Checker.

Description: If your Wifi or Mobile connection drops out all the time, Connection Checker will let you know when your network is down and will try to fix it.

Use it when you have crummy Wifi connections or when your mobile connection disconnects too often.

attachment.php
    attachment.php

The current market version of Connection Checker uses in-app billing for some features, but I'm going to be releasing a full paid version shortly. I've included the apk for the paid version below. Any feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

-Jeremy

PS: I've mostly been a lurker on XDA, so if this post is inappropriate I apologize.

Market link for the free version:

Market link to Pro (paid app):

Beta Pro version: (beta V1.0.12)

Changelog:

v1.0.12
    * The "Mobile Action" is only selectable in Froyo and Older. This is to reduce confusion because that option doesn't work in Gingerbread and later. Also other minor preference panel changes.

v1.0.11
    * You can now select between toggling Airplane mode and toggling just the mobile connection. (This only works on 2.2 and older devices).
    * Added option to stop check when Bluetooth is enabled.
    * Improved some translations
    * Reliability fix for Toggle Airplane (and mobile)

v1.0.10
    * Major reliability improvement - much more accurate connection check

v1.0.9
    * Added support for Japanese and Korean in app

v1.0.8
    * Initial Release
    Just so happens I'm in a situation in which I could use something like this, look forward to taking it for a spin.

Good luck Jeremy.
    I would like too see a strength plotter
    I would like too see a strength plotter

I second this. My connection changes quiet a bit depending on the weather (the more clouds, the better!) So it would be nice to see a DB plot (maybe something like the CPU plotter in Window Task Manager) showing how strong the signal is.

Also, I would recommend changing the log to display in the reverse direction (showing the newest item first). This means you can quickly turn on your phone and view the most current events, without having to scroll down.

So far, in just the few mins I've been using it, its been working lately. I'll give some more input after testing it more tonight!

Glad I get the XDA twitter feed, I'd have missed this app that I desperately needed! Good job and keep up the good work.
    This works Flawlessly....:) Thanks Dev Donations coming your way....:)

I also think this should be installed on all SD builds cause they all have connection
    problems...

WTG Bud :)