[Gingerbread Root] Pete's Motorola Root Tools

Search This thread

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
This does not work with Droid X System Version .621.

(Information on this post was taken from Pete's website: http://www.psouza4.com/Bionic/)

NOTE: If you were rooted on the original OTA and took the update to .602 and lost root, read the 'Droid X' notes under the how-to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to: One Click Root for Windows 7/Vista

1. Your phone must be connected via USB data cable to your computer and be recognized.

2. If your phone is connected, but not recognized, you may need to install one of these software drivers:
-Windows universal 32-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
-Windows universal 64-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0

3. Download this one-click root package: PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.08.zip

4. Extract the contents of the one-click root package to a new folder on your computer.

5. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your device. This should be under Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging.

6. From the new folder on your computer, double-click on Pete's_Motrola_Root_Tools.exe to begin the root process.

7. Click 'Root My Phone'.

Droid X Note:

Droid X Notes

Your phone may need to be in either charging mode or PC mode or you may need to toggle it a number of times for the device to recognized correctly.

If you are trying to root from the OTA Gingerbread update and you were previously rooted, you will probably experience problems with this root method because of the pre-existence of busybox and superuser.apk. For that reason, you may need to attempt both the script method (for Windows XP users) and program executable method (Windows Vista/7 users). If you are still having problems, please follow these instructions:
Open a Command Prompt in the folder where you extracted the one-click root package (see instructions for rooting). If you are using Windows 7, you can just use Shift+Right-Click on the folder you extracted the package and choose to "Open a command prompt here". For other operating systems or versions of Windows, you may require some DOS experience or need to Google how to change directories.

In the command prompt, type the following command:

If you receive any kind of error, then you may not be in the folder where you extracted ADB.exe or you may need to reboot your computer, your phone, or check the connection. You should receive an ADB prompt ending with either a # or a $.

If the line ends with a $, then run the one-click exploit for Windows XP (even if you have Windows Vista or 7) and only complete step 1.

When you have adb shell ending with a #, type the following commands:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
rm /system/bin/su
rm /system/xbin/su

Ignore any messages that warn you about the file not being found/missing. We're removing old copies of su/superuser which are causing this one-click root method to fail.

(credit: KevlarGibs)

Additionally, during the parts of the one-click root that reboot your phone, your phone will most likely reboot into recovery instead of into the standard Android lock screen. If this is the case, simply unplug the cable and reboot the phone manually. When you are finished rebooting, plug the phone back in again. Some people have had to reboot their PC too.

Finally, some users have mentioned that the root isn't taking affect right away for all apps. Eventually, after several reboots, the phone finally takes root. We're not sure why this is (I don't have a Droid X -- I'm just re-posting this information for brevity).

Please try the Windows Vista/7 method first! It will work better for most Windows XP users.
Only use this method if the other has not worked yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pj5lk8u2s0zhqo8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing you see here is my work. All credit goes to Pete and everyone he's credited. I simply created this thread on XDA using Pete's information.

Last edited:

choonami

Jul 14, 2011
I SBF'd to .602 on my DX and the root was successful but I can't get my phone to boot into CWM Recovery. I tried following the special DX instructions but can't get the ADB Shell to show anything but a $.

Whats next for me to try to get this working?

ylomnstr

Jun 29, 2010
Hi I'm trying to unroot my x2 and it keeps saying Error: you are missing adb.exe, which was packaged with this program. The adb.exe is in the same folder as all of the other files i extracted to my restore folder. Any ideas?

xMODDEDX

Jun 22, 2011
Los Angeles
I SBF'd to .602 on my DX and the root was successful but I can't get my phone to boot into CWM Recovery. I tried following the special DX instructions but can't get the ADB Shell to show anything but a $.

Whats next for me to try to get this working?
Your preinstall is full. With Root Explorer go to preinstall/app/ and delete something (NFS). Reflash Clockwork mod. Then try again.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Greatdane

Nov 6, 2005
I have just updated from 602 to 605 ota official.
Did run the process as guided above, but nothing seemed to happen on my droidX, and I cant see any super user. and did try to instal CWM to my device, its said the device has not rooted.
Any one got the same issue?

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
I have just updated from 602 to 605 ota official.
Did run the process as guided above, but nothing seemed to happen on my droidX, and I cant see any super user. and did try to instal CWM to my device, its said the device has not rooted.
Any one got the same issue?

Were you previously rooted on .602? If so, you may need to follow the Droid X notes.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

skeeterpro

Jan 8, 2011
Iowa
Finally worked up the cajones to use Pete's Tools and rooted my DX. *whew*

Doing a complete TiBu right now. Couple quick questions.......

1. Is CWM installed? If so, how does one access. If not, ROM Manager perhaps?
2. Renamed blurupdater_VZW.apk to .bak to block updates
3. Any "landmines" I should NOT uninstall? :)

Sorry if I sound noobish but this is my only phone number and am proceeding cautiously.

Thanks

Last edited:

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
Finally worked up the cajones to use Pete's Tools and rooted my DX. *whew*

Doing a complete TiBu right now. Couple quick questions.......

1. Is CWM installed? If so, how does one access. If not, ROM Manager perhaps?
2. Renamed blurupdater_VZW.apk to .bak to block updates
3. Any "landmines" I should NOT uninstall? :)

Sorry if I sound noobish but this is my only phone number and am proceeding cautiously.

Thanks

First of all, let me reassure you that anything you do to your phone can be reversed with a simple SBF. ^_^

Install ClockworkMod Recovery through Droid 2 Bootstrapper, then use ROM Manager to update it to the latest version.

There is plenty of things that you can remove that will cause issues =P It's pretty much trial and error, there are lists you can look up that will tell you what can and can't be removed, but regardless, always make a backup in CWM.

skeeterpro

Jan 8, 2011
Iowa
I amaze myself sometimes. lol

Has anyone flashed working CWM via ROM Manager?

Can't say I have interest in flashing ROMs. Just want CWM for nandroid system backups actually.

Last edited:

noguru

Nov 5, 2010
STRANGE!

DroidX, 2.3.3, original Moto ROM, LauncherPro+
First time I did Pete's it worked perfectly.
After .605 OTA it had a problem, so I re-Peted.

Each time Pete tried to reboot the phone, I had to pull the battery. Eventually, the process finished and I had a rooted Droid. It's fast, stable, has fine battery life. TitaniumPro, QuickBoot, and other root-only tools work properly. Various things ask for Superuser permission, and I give it, and they work properly.

But the SUPERUSER app has disappeared. When I go to Market, it says "Installed". It doesn't appear on my app list, and was never frozen. It's there, but invisible.

Everything else works, so should I just leave it alone?

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
DroidX, 2.3.3, original Moto ROM, LauncherPro+
First time I did Pete's it worked perfectly.
After .605 OTA it had a problem, so I re-Peted.

Each time Pete tried to reboot the phone, I had to pull the battery. Eventually, the process finished and I had a rooted Droid. It's fast, stable, has fine battery life. TitaniumPro, QuickBoot, and other root-only tools work properly. Various things ask for Superuser permission, and I give it, and they work properly.

But the SUPERUSER app has disappeared. When I go to Market, it says "Installed". It doesn't appear on my app list, and was never frozen. It's there, but invisible.

Everything else works, so should I just leave it alone?

You should be able to find Superuser by using the search key. It's not really important to have, it just manages the superuser permissions. I think of it as a background app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This does not work with Droid X System Version .621.

(Information on this post was taken from Pete's website: http://www.psouza4.com/Bionic/)

NOTE: If you were rooted on the original OTA and took the update to .602 and lost root, read the 'Droid X' notes under the how-to.

How to: One Click Root for Windows 7/Vista

1. Your phone must be connected via USB data cable to your computer and be recognized.

2. If your phone is connected, but not recognized, you may need to install one of these software drivers:
    -Windows universal 32-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0
    -Windows universal 64-bit Motorola drivers version 5.2.0

3. Download this one-click root package: PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.08.zip

4. Extract the contents of the one-click root package to a new folder on your computer.

5. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your device. This should be under Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging.

6. From the new folder on your computer, double-click on Pete's_Motrola_Root_Tools.exe to begin the root process.

7. Click 'Root My Phone'.

Droid X Note:

Droid X Notes

Your phone may need to be in either charging mode or PC mode or you may need to toggle it a number of times for the device to recognized correctly.

If you are trying to root from the OTA Gingerbread update and you were previously rooted, you will probably experience problems with this root method because of the pre-existence of busybox and superuser.apk. For that reason, you may need to attempt both the script method (for Windows XP users) and program executable method (Windows Vista/7 users). If you are still having problems, please follow these instructions:
    Open a Command Prompt in the folder where you extracted the one-click root package (see instructions for rooting). If you are using Windows 7, you can just use Shift+Right-Click on the folder you extracted the package and choose to "Open a command prompt here". For other operating systems or versions of Windows, you may require some DOS experience or need to Google how to change directories.

In the command prompt, type the following command:

If you receive any kind of error, then you may not be in the folder where you extracted ADB.exe or you may need to reboot your computer, your phone, or check the connection. You should receive an ADB prompt ending with either a # or a $.

If the line ends with a $, then run the one-click exploit for Windows XP (even if you have Windows Vista or 7) and only complete step 1.

When you have adb shell ending with a #, type the following commands:

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/system /system
    rm /system/bin/su
    rm /system/xbin/su

Ignore any messages that warn you about the file not being found/missing. We're removing old copies of su/superuser which are causing this one-click root method to fail.

(credit: KevlarGibs)

Additionally, during the parts of the one-click root that reboot your phone, your phone will most likely reboot into recovery instead of into the standard Android lock screen. If this is the case, simply unplug the cable and reboot the phone manually. When you are finished rebooting, plug the phone back in again. Some people have had to reboot their PC too.

Finally, some users have mentioned that the root isn't taking affect right away for all apps. Eventually, after several reboots, the phone finally takes root. We're not sure why this is (I don't have a Droid X -- I'm just re-posting this information for brevity).

Please try the Windows Vista/7 method first! It will work better for most Windows XP users.
    Only use this method if the other has not worked yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pj5lk8u2s0zhqo8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing you see here is my work. All credit goes to Pete and everyone he's credited. I simply created this thread on XDA using Pete's information.
    Reserved for future information.
    The phone I'm trying to root is Motorola. It's a friends Droid X but like I stated before all the rooting processes I could find for 2.3.4 required the phone to have been rooted before the update.

My mistake, yes you can root it without it previously being rooted. The Droid X doesn't have S-On and S-Off as HTC devices do.

First and foremost thanks for all your hard work now onto my question. I've been rooted close to 3 weeks then out came the .605 update which I ignored until I slipped up and accepted it and became unrooted. Since I was unrooted I said WTH and do a hard reset (since I had everything backed up) but it won't update to .605, it downloads and goes through all the motions but when it comes back on it's still .602. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

You probably have frozen or removed some kind of bloat that causes the update to fail. Replace the removed bloat or SBF.

First and foremost thanks for all your hard work now onto my question. I've been rooted close to 3 weeks then out came the .605 update which I ignored until I slipped up and accepted it and became unrooted. Since I was unrooted I said WTH and do a hard reset (since I had everything backed up) but it won't update to .605, it downloads and goes through all the motions but when it comes back on it's still .602. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I had the same issue.
    What I did was sbf back to .602 using a linux .602 sbf boot disk.
    I did not clear my cache or data or anything so all my apps and emails/txts were still on the phone.
    Then I downloaded and installed the .605 from verizon.... then I rooted

Everything is all good now.

D.