[APP][MOD][Root]Hotspot Entitlement Bypass v1.2 7/4/2014

Search This thread

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
*** DISCLAIMER ***
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PHONE!

While looking over some aosp code for the settings apk, I stumbled upon a much easier loophole that completely bypasses Verizon's and maybe other carrier's Tethering Entitlement Check app. By setting the net.tethering.noprovisioning property to true, Verizon and other carrier's entitlement check app won't even run, the native tethering will start now as soon as you turn it on. This has been tested on and works on my XT1060 but depending on how other carrier's run their entitlement check app, it could work on other phone models also. So if you test it and it works on the other carrier Moto X's or other phone models let me know!

So for Rom Developers all you have to do is add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to your build.prop file and then you can remove the entitlement check app if you want to. Also if your phone model has any property that has dun_required like ro.mot.tether_dun_required then you will need to change that line from 1 to 0.

For people who don't want to mess with modifying their build.prop file or use xposed. I made an app which requires Root, that will run a setprop command to bypass the check until you reboot. If you want it to last after a reboot you can select apply of boot to run the command after every reboot. This was tested and confirmed by cvhovey thanks to him for testing it for me, since I have free tethering. This is my first app so I hope you Enjoy it! I want to say thanks to jcase's slapmymoto and the developer of adaway, I used their github sources as references when I couldn't get something working. Also androidicons for the icon template, and Poliva for setpropex, and jduck for getting setpropex working on KitKat.

Download Links
v1.2 http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358557764(v1.2 is signed with a different key than v1.0/v1.1 so it will display a msg box telling you this just click okay)

v1.1 http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407584928

Changelog
-v1.2 Update (7/4/2014)
-It can now bypass the read only property's like ro.mot.tether_dun_required and set it to 0 via setpropex for the models like Sprint, and RPW, Thanks to Poliva for setpropex, and jduck for getting it working on KitKat
-Cleaned up the code a lot it was extremely sloppy, still needs some work
-Also I ended up having to create another key to sign the app, thanks to the android L sdk update that screwed up my dev environment, and I ended up accidentally deleting my keystore

-v1.1 Update (5/8/2014)
-For v1.1 I added checks to grab the phones model number and then apply certain commands specific to those models

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-21-22.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-21-22.png
    216 KB · Views: 7,395
  • Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-21-48.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-21-48.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 7,033
  • Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-22-01.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-03-14-22-01.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 6,877
Last edited:

The Tallest

Jul 25, 2013
Damn, I spent a few days trying to figure this out on my own a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to work. Needless to say I gave up. Good find!

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
Very nice app you made here works perfect
Awesome thanks for the feedback!

for this to work on sprint, you would also need to change ro.mot.tether_dun_required=1 to ro.mot.tether_dun_required=0 in build prop
Hmm so sprint doesn't run their entitlement check as a provisioning app nice to know, I will look into putting in a check to grab the model number and set the right props in the app. Thanks for the information!

Kittiesoncrack

Aug 11, 2012
Chicago

Hmm so sprint doesn't run their entitlement check as a provisioning app nice to know, I will look into putting in a check to grab the model number and set the right props in the app. Thanks for the information!

I believe sprint does use the entitlement check but the tethering won't allow data without the tether dun edit in build.prop

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Reactions: iKrYpToNiTe

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
The easiest way, that works on every carrier that I know of, is to just edit framework-res.apk and remove the provisioning app from the XML so that it defaults to native tethering setup.

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
The easiest way, that works on every carrier that I know of, is to just edit framework-res.apk and remove the provisioning app from the XML so that it defaults to native tethering setup.

How is that easier than my way? By adding net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to the build.prop file it launches the native tethering instantly by bypassing the framework-res all together. At least for Verizon for which I made this for, I said it could possibly work on other carriers I never said it would. I made the app for people who don't want to modify their system at all, by either adding that line to the build.prop file or decompiling, editing, recompiling, and replacing the framework-res.apk. To me that seems to be a whole lot easier, a high percentage of users on this forum don't know how to properly replace a system apk much less edit it properly. So I was trying to help them out by simplifying it for them.

hartv427

Jan 16, 2009
How is that easier than my way? By adding net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to the build.prop file it launches the native tethering instantly by bypassing the framework-res all together. At least for Verizon for which I made this for, I said it could possibly work on other carriers I never said it would. I made the app for people who don't want to modify their system at all, by either adding that line to the build.prop file or decompiling, editing, recompiling, and replacing the framework-res.apk. To me that seems to be a whole lot easier, a high percentage of users on this forum don't know how to properly replace a system apk much less edit it properly. So I was trying to help them out by simplifying it for them.

I think the app is fantastic ... I have modded my own farmework.res.apk which works and also modded my own VzwEntitlementService.odex which works as well ... The bottom line is I'm using your app because it's simple and works perfectly without any system mods. :good:

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org

The method I suggested works on all carriers, not just VZW. Another user posted that you need something else for Sprint for this to work. Sure, your's is quite simple, but it isn't universal.

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
The method I suggested works on all carriers, not just VZW. Another user posted that you need something else for Sprint for this to work. Sure, your's is quite simple, but it isn't universal.

I never said it was universal, I said it possibly could be I have no way of testing other carriers. That's why I said for other carrier users to try it if it works great let me know, if it doesn't oh well it was a shot.

If you don't think it's universal or don't think it's the easiest way for VZW Moto X owners. Then that's your opinion not mine, but this thread isn't the place to debate it out. Now if you don't mind can we drop it and get back on topic please?

pbaldw10

Nov 20, 2011
Thank you to the developer, works on droid Maxx!

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

MugZ91

Apr 30, 2014
Thanks for this, I completely failed trying to set it up myself. Great job!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

iKrYpToNiTe

Sep 16, 2012
Sanford, NC
Thank you to the developer, works on droid Maxx!

Sent from my XT1080 using xda app-developers app

Sorry for not replying before now, I've been focusing on my rom thread and my new job and haven't had time to check this thread. I'm glad it worked thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for this, I completely failed trying to set it up myself. Great job!

Your welcome, I'm glad it helped you out.

I added v1.1 to the OP that runs certain setprop commands depending on your phone model. Let me know if it works for everybody or doesn't!

Reactions: gokart2 and MugZ91

MugZ91

Apr 30, 2014
Works great on unlocked, stock rooted DE edition Moto X.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** DISCLAIMER ***
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS UP YOUR PHONE!

While looking over some aosp code for the settings apk, I stumbled upon a much easier loophole that completely bypasses Verizon's and maybe other carrier's Tethering Entitlement Check app. By setting the net.tethering.noprovisioning property to true, Verizon and other carrier's entitlement check app won't even run, the native tethering will start now as soon as you turn it on. This has been tested on and works on my XT1060 but depending on how other carrier's run their entitlement check app, it could work on other phone models also. So if you test it and it works on the other carrier Moto X's or other phone models let me know!

So for Rom Developers all you have to do is add net.tethering.noprovisioning=true to your build.prop file and then you can remove the entitlement check app if you want to. Also if your phone model has any property that has dun_required like ro.mot.tether_dun_required then you will need to change that line from 1 to 0.

For people who don't want to mess with modifying their build.prop file or use xposed. I made an app which requires Root, that will run a setprop command to bypass the check until you reboot. If you want it to last after a reboot you can select apply of boot to run the command after every reboot. This was tested and confirmed by cvhovey thanks to him for testing it for me, since I have free tethering. This is my first app so I hope you Enjoy it! I want to say thanks to jcase's slapmymoto and the developer of adaway, I used their github sources as references when I couldn't get something working. Also androidicons for the icon template, and Poliva for setpropex, and jduck for getting setpropex working on KitKat.

Download Links
    v1.2 http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23501681358557764(v1.2 is signed with a different key than v1.0/v1.1 so it will display a msg box telling you this just click okay)

v1.1 http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407584928

Changelog
    -v1.2 Update (7/4/2014)
    -It can now bypass the read only property's like ro.mot.tether_dun_required and set it to 0 via setpropex for the models like Sprint, and RPW, Thanks to Poliva for setpropex, and jduck for getting it working on KitKat
    -Cleaned up the code a lot it was extremely sloppy, still needs some work
    -Also I ended up having to create another key to sign the app, thanks to the android L sdk update that screwed up my dev environment, and I ended up accidentally deleting my keystore

-v1.1 Update (5/8/2014)
    -For v1.1 I added checks to grab the phones model number and then apply certain commands specific to those models

I never said it was universal, I said it possibly could be I have no way of testing other carriers. That's why I said for other carrier users to try it if it works great let me know, if it doesn't oh well it was a shot.

If you don't think it's universal or don't think it's the easiest way for VZW Moto X owners. Then that's your opinion not mine, but this thread isn't the place to debate it out. Now if you don't mind can we drop it and get back on topic please?
    Very nice app you made here works perfect

for this to work on sprint, you would also need to change ro.mot.tether_dun_required=1 to ro.mot.tether_dun_required=0 in build prop
    I believe sprint does use the entitlement check but the tethering won't allow data without the tether dun edit in build.prop

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Gotcha thanks for info!