Why no 4.4.2 yet?

Search This thread

Gino76ph

Oct 18, 2013
Hiya.

Recently bought a genuine UK SIM-free/unlocked HTC One (M7) online. Noticed that the Android OS is still stuck to 4.3.

I thought Android 4.4.2 is now available to UK customers for unlocked handsets? And what are the improvements to the phone?

Please advice. Thanks.

RAM_1994

Oct 1, 2011
My CID is : VODAP001. That seems to suggest it is originally a Vodaphone-locked device but it has been unlocked since.

My i know what's my next move?

Same here, I'm from Croatia and have T-Mobile De version, but still can't update.

I've contacted HTC and they removed 4.4.2. update in some places. They'll roll it out again later, probably with Sense 6. We'll have to be patient until then

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

But still, call HTC support for UK and let them check your phone (by IMEI) and tell you if you have the "good" version

Reactions: Gino76ph
My CID is : VODAP001. That seems to suggest it is originally a Vodaphone-locked device but it has been unlocked since.

Same here, I'm from Croatia and have T-Mobile De version, but still can't update.

I've contacted HTC and they removed 4.4.2. update in some places. They'll roll it out again later, probably with Sense 6. We'll have to be patient until then

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

But still, call HTC support for UK and let them check your phone (by IMEI) and tell you if you have the "good" version

Reason why both of you don't have the update yet is because your CID and software is locked to the previous carrier, meaning it's up to them to release the update, not HTC.

This will wipe your phone, but it will unbrand your phone if you follow it correctly: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2358738

This basically flashes the unbranded version of the ROM and changing the CID to one that HTC does support, so you'll get updates directly from HTC instead of the carrier.

Gino76ph

Oct 18, 2013
Sorry but right now i'm not prepared to unbrand the phone as it seems to me its too much of a long & winding process. Seeing the link seems too technical for me.

What i have done instead is ring HTC. Gave them the serial number of the phone and they told me that it IS Vodafone-branded phone. They adviced me to contact Vodafone which i did. The Vodafone support person doesn't seem to have a clue to what i'm saying and seems not familiar to how updates are released. He kept on insisting (based on the circumstances i have presented to him|) that Vodafone has nothing to do with updates. Person sounded stupid really.

I tried a Three and an EE SIM card on the One M7 and it works. So far no updates yet.

I can also confirm that being an unlocked phone it has NO Vodafone branding or logo or apps or bloatware on the phone itself.

So, i'm stuck with a year old phone with a old-gen Android OS.

So...what's next please?

Last edited:

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
Sorry but right now i'm not prepared to unbrand the phone as it seems to me its too much of a long & winding process. Seeing the link seems too technical for me.

What i have done instead is ring HTC. Gave them the serial number of the phone and they told me that it IS Vodafone-branded phone. They adviced me to contact Vodafone which i did. The Vodafone support person doesn't seem to have a clue to what i'm saying and seems not familiar to how updates are released. He kept on insisting (based on the circumstances i have presented to him|) that Vodafone has nothing to do with updates. Person sounded stupid really.

I tried a Three and an EE SIM card on the One M7 and it works. So far no updates yet.

I can also confirm that being an unlocked phone it has NO Vodafone branding or logo or apps or bloatware on the phone itself.

So, i'm stuck with a year old phone with a old-gen Android OS.

So...what's next please?

Go here: http://www.htc.com/us/go/htc-software-updates/

and click on
5315bf947a9ada4b419bf8925d0d8e3d.png

then you'll see why the updates can take a while to come out: http://www.htc.com/assets-desktop/images/softwareupdates/HTC-Anatomy-of-an-Android.jpg

RAM_1994

Oct 1, 2011

Gino76ph

Oct 18, 2013
Sorry but the ,link you have given me wasn't very helpful as i'm living in the UK.

Still, i feel not confident with what information/advice HTC and Vodafone has given me as i feel i have been passed around.

What i need to know is what i need to do with my phone as regards updates? (see my previous reply)

mb_guy

Sep 6, 2008
Winnipeg
Sorry but the ,link you have given me wasn't very helpful as i'm living in the UK.

Still, i feel not confident with what information/advice HTC and Vodafone has given me as i feel i have been passed around.

What i need to know is what i need to do with my phone as regards updates? (see my previous reply)

To install OTA updates, your phone MUST be stock (ROM and recovery)
sim unlocked or bootloader unlocked is OK

Gino76ph

Oct 18, 2013

I have explained many times that my phone is unlocked & SIM free albeit being Vodafone-branded.

So, it still doesn't answer my question: why no Android 4.4.2 for my phone?

RAM_1994

Oct 1, 2011
I've read an article that One is getting Sense 6 update today! (for unlocked devices). My is branded to T-Mobile, but I hope that I'll get the update until the end of the month

Because the software is still modified slightly by Vodafone. You may have the phone network unlocked but it doesn't mean it's software unbranded. It's still up to Vodafone to update it. To be honest, this sounds more like a second hand handset instead, perhaps the original owner got it for free from an upgrade, unlocked it, and then sold it on as he was probably using another phone.

Vodafone customer support won't know anything, they're not taught anything technical, only the network side of things, which is why they can't answer you.

Honestly, you should just unlock and S-OFF the phone, and change it to a proper unbranded model if you want to get the latest updates from HTC.

Last edited:

Gino76ph

Oct 18, 2013
Because the software is still modified slightly by Vodafone. You may have the phone network unlocked but it doesn't mean it's software unbranded. It's still up to Vodafone to update it. To be honest, this sounds more like a second hand handset instead, perhaps the original owner got it for free from an upgrade, unlocked it, and then sold it on as he was probably using another phone.

Vodafone customer support won't know anything, they're not taught anything technical, only the network side of things, which is why they can't answer you.

Honestly, you should just unlock and S-OFF the phone, and change it to a proper unbranded model if you want to get the latest updates from HTC.

But why should i get the phone unlocked as its already unlocked in the first place as i'm able to put an SIM on it?

And what do you mean by S-OFF? Is that term called "debranding?

Gino76ph

Oct 18, 2013
I have four years of owning and using an Android phone. Never been a developer or have IT skills or been into rooting phones. I consider myself somewhere above an intermediate user and under expert level.

So, it easy to unlock the bootloader and S-OFF my HTC One M7?

WIll it almost guarantee me i'll still be able to receive the Android 4.4.2 update and (perhaps) beyond?

RAM_1994

Oct 1, 2011
I have four years of owning and using an Android phone. Never been a developer or have IT skills or been into rooting phones. I consider myself somewhere above an intermediate user and under expert level.

So, it easy to unlock the bootloader and S-OFF my HTC One M7?

WIll it almost guarantee me i'll still be able to receive the Android 4.4.2 update and (perhaps) beyond?

I've rooted and s-off every phone, but few months after purchase, when I got bored with stock.
If you are doing this for the first time, even though you have good tutorials, it still won't be easy for you. I don't know anything about rooting M7 because I have it for a week, but it probably isn't so easy as it looks like, and it will take you few hours to do it (maybe days if you screw something).

If you unbrand your phone than yes, you will definitely be able to update to 4.4.2. But you need to know that if you do that, you will void your warranty for an almost new phone.

My recommendation: since I've seen that Sense 6 is already out for some carriers in US, it will probably be available in the Europe soon. So be patient and wait for a few weeks, and you'll probably receive direct update to 4.4.2 and Sense 6.

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
I have explained many times that my phone is unlocked & SIM free albeit being Vodafone-branded.

So, it still doesn't answer my question: why no Android 4.4.2 for my phone?

Here's the UK site: http://www.htc.com/uk/go/htc-software-updates/

and according to this: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/HTC-One-series/HTC-One-Android-4-4-KitKat/m-p/1943764
4.19.161.10 was released in Feb

Maybe if you search you can find the OTA file somewhere on the net and apply it manually, or check with vodafone, why you're not receiving it.

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use this app to check your CID: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tritonsoft.cidgetter

What CID does it say? For UK unbranded, unlocked handsets it's HTC__001. I got the update just fine.

Reason why both of you don't have the update yet is because your CID and software is locked to the previous carrier, meaning it's up to them to release the update, not HTC.

This will wipe your phone, but it will unbrand your phone if you follow it correctly: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2358738

This basically flashes the unbranded version of the ROM and changing the CID to one that HTC does support, so you'll get updates directly from HTC instead of the carrier.