Feb 11, 2014
VA
Currently on VZN, XT1060, MotoX, DEV unlocked bootloader, TWRP, SuperSU:

version: 4.4
kernel: 3.4.42-xline-gf57cf5bdbbuild@ca88lnxdroid14#1
system: 140.45.5.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US
build: 13.11.1Q2.X-69-3

NO ROM And I only changed two items:

1. VzwEntitlementService.apk via [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536166] by changing the originalVzwEntitlementService.apk to VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak

2. Remove bootloader warning image

Question: for the 4.4.2 update (hopefully coming soon)

1. Can I just get the 4.4.2 update via OTA with my current setup
2. Or do I have a to flash back to stock

Thank you much.
and I'm new to xda.

Last edited:

Cozume

Jan 30, 2014
you need to flash the stock recovery and then run the OTA. after it installs flash your custom recovery back.

Thanks, if someone has an unlocked bootloader but is not rooted and they removed the bootloader unlocked message using the command:

fastboot flash logo logo.bin

and used a logo.bin file that has the original kitkat 4.4 logo in it, can they take the OTA without doing anything else?

Also, when you flash the stock recovery, you become unrooted and so then if you flash your custom recovery after the OTA, you reroot, right?

Are you supposed to wipe the davlik/cache or anything else like that before you take the OTA?

dray_jr

Jul 3, 2009
Fort Myers,FL
Thanks, if someone has an unlocked bootloader but is not rooted and they removed the bootloader unlocked message using the command:

fastboot flash logo logo.bin

and used a logo.bin file that has the original kitkat 4.4 logo in it, can they take the OTA without doing anything else?

Also, when you flash the stock recovery, you become unrooted and so then if you flash your custom recovery after the OTA, you reroot, right?

Are you supposed to wipe the davlik/cache or anything else like that before you take the OTA?

as for the logo i am not sure i think you should be ok .

as for when you flash the stock recovery yes you loose root but when you reflash the custom recovery if you still dont have root just reinstall SuperSU and you will be good to go,

and anytime i flash something i always wipe the cache/davlik

Reactions: Cozume

Melarsa

Aug 18, 2010
as for when you flash the stock recovery yes you loose root but when you reflash the custom recovery if you still dont have root just reinstall SuperSU and you will be good to go

Hmm, I have a VZW DE, unlocked bootloader, flashed TWRP then SuperSU to get root, then flashed the stock recovery and still have root. I honestly can't remember if I re-rooted after flashing back to stock recovery, but I don't think that I did. Are you saying that flashing to stock recovery should have unrooted the phone? What does it mean if it didn't? I hope I'm remembering correctly.

I'd like to be able to get the OTA 4.4.2 update from VZW when available but I keep reading it's not possible with root. How do I remove root if reflashing the stock recovery didn't do it? I'm coming from a GNex which was much simpler so I want to make sure I'm prepared for the OTA when it arrives. Thanks!

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
Hmm, I have a VZW DE, unlocked bootloader, flashed TWRP then SuperSU to get root, then flashed the stock recovery and still have root. I honestly can't remember if I re-rooted after flashing back to stock recovery, but I don't think that I did. Are you saying that flashing to stock recovery should have unrooted the phone? What does it mean if it didn't? I hope I'm remembering correctly.

I'd like to be able to get the OTA 4.4.2 update from VZW when available but I keep reading it's not possible with root. How do I remove root if reflashing the stock recovery didn't do it? I'm coming from a GNex which was much simpler so I want to make sure I'm prepared for the OTA when it arrives. Thanks!

OK,listen and listen closely, by far the best way to accept the ota is flash stock recovery and also flash your system.img, I don't care what other folks say, I've been here for 3 ota's , this will prevent any chances of having issues when accepting the ota. You may also flash Verizon's sbf firmware when available, the later is what I prefer

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

Reactions: Platy87

Melarsa

Aug 18, 2010
OK,listen and listen closely, by far the best way to accept the ota is flash stock recovery and also flash your system.img, I don't care what other folks say, I've been here for 3 ota's , this will prevent any chances of having issues when accepting the ota. You may also flash Verizon's sbf firmware when available, the later is what I prefer

Got it, that's what I'll do when the time comes. Thanks!

fbiryujin

May 11, 2011
Not New York

Could I do a TWRP backup of /data and just flash the entire system back to new, take the OTA and TWRP restore /data?
Or does /data contain some stuff that is linked to the version of Android I did the backup with?

piccit

Dec 16, 2011
Could I do a TWRP backup of /data and just flash the entire system back to new, take the OTA and TWRP restore /data?
Or does /data contain some stuff that is linked to the version of Android I did the backup with?

Why would you need to do that? /data isn't going anywhere in the process of flashing system and recovery and then taking an OTA

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville

You can try to restore your data after you upgrade, there is no guarantee you won't have any issues but it won't be a huge problem, you'll just have to factory reset. It no different when you flash a custom ROM , if the developer uses a new base then often they request you to do a clean fresh install, otherwise you'll have issues

fbiryujin

May 11, 2011
Not New York
You can try to restore your data after you upgrade, there is no guarantee you won't have any issues but it won't be a huge problem, you'll just have to factory reset. It no different when you flash a custom ROM , if the developer uses a new base then often they request you to do a clean fresh install, otherwise you'll have issues

I'm not using a custom ROM though.

_slam

Feb 11, 2014
VA
Flash and relock Moto X manually

No lie my a$$hole did pucker up though the whole process but... success :D woohoo!

I followed the instruction on Motorola website [https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images] one thing I did not have is 'Motorola fastboot utility to flash (included in the Darwin/, Linux/ or Windows/ directory)' had to do some searching; came across [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138092] Thanks for that.

DETAILS (So this is what I was working with):
VZN, XT1060, MotoX, DEV unlocked bootloader, TWRP, SuperSU:
version: 4.4 | system: 140.45.5.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US | build: 13.11.1Q2.X-69-3
Did this on my Mac, NOT on PC

Steps:
1. got recovery image
2. got Motorola fastboot utility from | http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138092 moto-fastboot-osx.zip
3. used the fastboot from Darwin folder
4. follow steps from motorola website, but did not oem lock [$ fastboot oem lock]
5. last step reboot [$ fastboot reboot] a$$hole pucker up

But success, everything booted up properly even had the warning bootloader unlocked image
There was one point when it got to the Verizon boot image; it took abit longer a$$hole pucker up but finished booting.
Then phone went through the setup process (like new).... It's Miller time! :p

Come on 4.4.2 update via OTA

shadowmonk36

Dec 6, 2010
Wichita, KS
No lie my a$$hole did pucker up though the whole process but... success :D woohoo!

I followed the instruction on Motorola website [https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images] one thing I did not have is 'Motorola fastboot utility to flash (included in the Darwin/, Linux/ or Windows/ directory)' had to do some searching; came across [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138092] Thanks for that.

DETAILS (So this is what I was working with):
VZN, XT1060, MotoX, DEV unlocked bootloader, TWRP, SuperSU:
version: 4.4 | system: 140.45.5.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US | build: 13.11.1Q2.X-69-3
Did this on my Mac, NOT on PC

Steps:
1. got recovery image
2. got Motorola fastboot utility from | http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1138092 moto-fastboot-osx.zip
3. used the fastboot from Darwin folder
4. follow steps from motorola website, but did not oem lock [$ fastboot oem lock]
5. last step reboot [$ fastboot reboot] a$$hole pucker up

But success, everything booted up properly even had the warning bootloader unlocked image
There was one point when it got to the Verizon boot image; it took abit longer a$$hole pucker up but finished booting.
Then phone went through the setup process (like new).... It's Miller time! :p

Come on 4.4.2 update via OTA

I just want to make sure that when you did this all it did was remove root and replace the bootloader, not any data or settings you had on your phone. That is the only thing that worries me before I decide to do the 4.4.2 update.

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com

1. VzwEntitlementService.apk via [http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536166] by changing the originalVzwEntitlementService.apk to VzwEntitlementService.apk.bak

Thank you much.
and I'm new to xda.

1) You don't need to do much. Revert the Entitlement hack you did, you need the one that came on the device, not a hacked one.
2) Flash the stock recovery back to your phone. You'll need the stock recovery to install the OTA. Just do it the same way you flashed TWRP to your phone but use the stock recovery.img file from the 4.4 .sbf ( http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=0&file=5 )

You will NOT lose root flashing the stock recovery, you will NOT lose root taking the OTA.

After updating, use Xposed and the Moto Tether module for tethering instead of using a hacked version of the app.

Reactions: smt0222 and _slam

Schaweet

Aug 2, 2010
I just want to make sure that when you did this all it did was remove root and replace the bootloader, not any data or settings you had on your phone. That is the only thing that worries me before I decide to do the 4.4.2 update.

If you have the Dev edition from VZW, it's simple to install the OTA.

This is what I did as I had root and xposed installed.

1. Download 4.4.2 file from XDA and cut and paste it from download folder to root of sdcard
2. Flash stock 4.4 recovery image via fastboot.
3. Flash 4.4 system image using mfastboot (must use mfastboot)
4. Boot into recovery
5. Apply update and selected the OTA zip.
6. Reboot
7. Power down and boot back into fastboot.
8. Flash TWRP, allow it to root, reboot.
9. Reinstall Xposed framework.

All my data and settings were still there. Even my xposed modules reactivated. No additional setup and my phone was exactly the same but had 4.4.2.

Only caveat is only do this if you've never installed other OS's and have only taken official OTAs from VZW. You need to be on the right bootloader. Don't brick your phone.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X

Last edited:
Reactions: _slam

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. Nope, your apps and data will be untouched.
    2. I had no issues accepting the OTA after flashing the stock 4.4 system image. Frozen apps remain frozen... The only thing I had to do was reinstall SuperSU after completing the 4.4.2 OTA.

I can confirm, it worked like a charm. All apps and data were untouched. System.img took care of reverting the framework changes xposed caused, as well as the system apps previously uninstalled. Only had to reflash TWRP + SU, then SU binary, then restored xposed (rebooted from within -- it wasn't uninstalled during the whole process). As some pointed out earlier, the xposed mods were already enabled after it was restored.

I am typing on a wi-fi tethered laptop.

For total noobs like myself, here is the order (again) and the commands (I had to look that up, since I do these things so rarely) you'll need (assuming all files are in the same folder, and that folder is your path in command line):

1. ---connect the phone to the computer, while the phone is on type the following---

adb reboot bootloader (to boot into fastboot mode)

2. ---when in fastboot mode---

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img (to flash recovery.img)

mfastboot flash system system.img (to flash system.img)

You can get both files when you extract the contents of this zip:
    http://sbfdownload.droid-developers...W_XT1060_4.4-13.11.1Q2.X-69-3_CFC_1FF.xml.zip

3. ---reboot your phone---

4. ---accept OTA update (in System - About - System Update)---

5. ---after your phone installs the OTA and reboots---

adb reboot bootloader (to boot into fastboot mode)

6. ---when bootloader shows up---

fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img (to flash custom recovery)

7. ---select Boot into Recovery--- (volume Down to move down, volume Up to select)

8. ---swipe to install SU when leaving TWRP---

9.---when phone reboots, open SU, select to update binary using TWRP/CWM---

OPTIONAL

10. ---if you have xposed, open the app, in Framework, chose Install/Update and Reboot---

You should be good to go. :)

EDIT: Added link.
    you need to flash the stock recovery and then run the OTA. after it installs flash your custom recovery back.
    I've read through the thread and it's been very helpful, but I'm still a tad confused.

1. When I flash recovery.img and system.img, it won't affect any of my installed user apps or their settings or anything in the /data folder, will it?

2. I don't need to worry about disabling xposed, reverting entitlement hack, or restoring deleted/frozen system apps if I go the above route, correct?

Please advise, and thanks in advance.

... Moto X VZW DE ...

1. Nope, your apps and data will be untouched.
    2. I had no issues accepting the OTA after flashing the stock 4.4 system image. Frozen apps remain frozen... The only thing I had to do was reinstall SuperSU after completing the 4.4.2 OTA.

Thank you much.
    and I'm new to xda.

1) You don't need to do much. Revert the Entitlement hack you did, you need the one that came on the device, not a hacked one.
    2) Flash the stock recovery back to your phone. You'll need the stock recovery to install the OTA. Just do it the same way you flashed TWRP to your phone but use the stock recovery.img file from the 4.4 .sbf ( http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=0&file=5 )

You will NOT lose root flashing the stock recovery, you will NOT lose root taking the OTA.

After updating, use Xposed and the Moto Tether module for tethering instead of using a hacked version of the app.
    If I wait long enough do you think I can expect to find a flashable 4.4.2 zip for rooted Dev Edition so that I wouldn't have to go through restoring back to stock with fastboot and could just do the whole thing on my phone without being hooked up to a computer?