How to use Bitpim with the Kin 2(tutorial)

Search This thread

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
I have seen many people asking about bitpim and the kin phones and many with no solutions or answers to their questions. It IS possible to use bitpim to view the file system with these devices. I haven't seen any tutorials on how to do it so I've decided to post a step by step guide.

The things you will need:
Kin Two or Kin TwoM(I have not been able to test this on a Kin One or OneM)
A micro usb data cable
Bitpim
Drivers for the Kin available below

http://rapidshare.com/files/439206164/KinPixiPreCentroTreo800w_etc_DiagDrivers.zip

Don't worry about fixing the error in the qcser.inf, since I have already done this for you.
I would like to thank jennydevil for reminding us that these drivers are for 32-bit not 64-bit operating systems.

Step 1
On your kin device go to the phone application. Once there dial ##77647266488 and call. It will ask you for your Service Programming Code. The default code is 000000. You will now be in a menu labeled "SETTINGS". Navigate to OTHER and then swipe to the left. Here you will see PPro, USB Pass-Through, and USB VID Stream. All of these options will be off. You will want to turn USB Pass-Through on.

Step 2
Now connect your phone to your Windows PC. Your pc will try to find a driver called "Pink CDMA diagnostics" and will fail. Fear not. Open the start menu and right click on Computer then Manage. On the menu to the far left click device manager. In other devices you will see the Pink CDMA diagnostics. Right click it and press "Update Driver Software". Click "Browse My Computer for Driver Software". Browse for the location of the drivers downloaded earlier and click next. It will show a warning that the drivers are not signed. Continue anyways.

Step 3
Now you are ready to open up bitpim. Set it to the same COM as the phone and make sure in the View menu that View Filesystem is checked. Now feel free to browse through the file system of your kin.

If you run in to any problems feel free to ask questions. If you have any ideas or information to make this tutorial more useful feel free to speak your mind.

Last edited:

kintworooter

Dec 22, 2010
Fantastic!!

This is a great start to making our kin experience much better! Thank you, and keep up the solid work! Your friends at Microsoft Kin Forums thank you aswell! Check our sites for updates that could help, and together we can make KIN the phone it truely can be!

social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/pmxphone/threads
link to MS kin forums (gotta add http)

jennydevil

Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for putting the tutorial together (and posting the pre-fixed drivers)! In case anyone else runs into the same hiccup I did - the drivers are for 32-bit OS, not 64-bit OS. Once I used the right system, the drivers and BitPim worked like a champ.

Thanks again!

sabernat

Dec 8, 2010
I can see filesystem

Hey thanks, I can see the filesystem, I think? It says nothing is detected when I manually set the phone. I cannot "get phone data" but can read the filesystem.

.efs_private
CGPS_ME
CGPS_PE
DMU
...etc

But what does this all mean? Can I access ringtones/sounds to edit the list? Please all I want is to add and delete ringtones! Ugh why is this so difficult. Anybody know how to do this?

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
Hey thanks, I can see the filesystem, I think? It says nothing is detected when I manually set the phone. I cannot "get phone data" but can read the filesystem.

.efs_private
CGPS_ME
CGPS_PE
DMU
...etc

But what does this all mean? Can I access ringtones/sounds to edit the list? Please all I want is to add and delete ringtones! Ugh why is this so difficult. Anybody know how to do this?

No at the moment you can't do that with BitPim but you can email a ringtone to your phone.

jekikeyes

Dec 24, 2010
Help in step two

Can not find driver location on Windows Vista. I can get to Windows32 file/ then to driver file but new downloaded drivers as in step two.
Thanks

sabernat

Dec 8, 2010
Ah ok, dang. Problem is...Kin has no function to delete ringtones. So once its on, its on forever. I just can't commit to that.

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Moved to KIN two forum and stickied. :)

Also, fix the rapidshare link, the file seems to be unavailable.

Last edited:

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
Can not find driver location on Windows Vista. I can get to Windows32 file/ then to driver file but new downloaded drivers as in step two.
Thanks
Download the drivers extract them somewhere like a folder on your desktop. Let's call the folder kindrivers. Then when you are browsing to the files you would go to C: (or the drive vista is located on)/Users/Yourusername/desktop/kindrivers

Hope that helps.

joebudd

Dec 30, 2010
After trying it myself I am not convinced that "we" are seeing anything. It states no phone is connected. There are no signs that I see anything from the phone. Keep trying and keep posting.

phoneinu

Jan 3, 2011
Kin_Two 2

I am at a lost, I did all the steps, plus the driver download. Everything went fine. I can see what port the phone is using, and have it set on bitpim. When I go to detect the phone on bitpim, it can not find the phone. Have tried on two different computers and can not get it to work. Bitpim can not find the phone, any thoughts?
Ron

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
I am at a lost, I did all the steps, plus the driver download. Everything went fine. I can see what port the phone is using, and have it set on bitpim. When I go to detect the phone on bitpim, it can not find the phone. Have tried on two different computers and can not get it to work. Bitpim can not find the phone, any thoughts?
Ron

Bitpim won't find the phone you have to manually set it to the correct COMM port.

phoneinu

Jan 3, 2011
I found the com port in device manager. It has been set, but it says it can not still detect phone. When I do go to settings in bitpim, I go to Verzion Wireless, Motorola, and then Kim? Is that correct, there is no Kin just Kim,so is that the same thing?
Ron Fone

dezgrz

Dec 22, 2010
West Allis
I found the com port in device manager. It has been set, but it says it can not still detect phone. When I do go to settings in bitpim, I go to Verzion Wireless, Motorola, and then Kim? Is that correct, there is no Kin just Kim,so is that the same thing?
Ron Fone

It won't detect it. Just show the file system. Just set it to other cdma.

shadowbird423

Sep 1, 2010
Hey, I'm about to be forced to get the Kin TwoM (its the best phone on Verizon without a data plan). Has there been any progress on the ROM dumping front? It seems like you would know. Thanks...

robosllim

Jan 10, 2011
Just wanted to post in here saying that I just got myself a Kin TwoM this weekend without knowing anything about it's limitations or potential. I got it working with BitPim using this tutorial, but... yeah, I have no idea what to do now. I'll certainly be watching this board for anything cool that comes of this, though!

phoneinu

Jan 3, 2011
Well I have had my Kin Twom for more then a week. I am probably going to return it, its a shame because it is not a bad little phone. Microsoft and Verizon will be the death of this thing. Know what to do about my cell phone?
Ron

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thank you for putting the tutorial together (and posting the pre-fixed drivers)! In case anyone else runs into the same hiccup I did - the drivers are for 32-bit OS, not 64-bit OS. Once I used the right system, the drivers and BitPim worked like a champ.

Thanks again!
    You forgot to change the usb to serial mode at the ##PROGRAMNITT menu

Otherwise you wouldnt see KIN as device name.

nuff said.