[ROOT] VZW Note 2 Root Package

Search This thread

revlis240

May 4, 2010
I must be losing my mind.

I flashed the stock rooted file here, and the phone is working fine. Its rooted but the bootloader is LOCKED.

I have tried to use Casual to unlock the bootloader, but it keeps telling me i have the wrong bootloader. I tried flashing the basline and still the same error. It seems the cause of my problems may have been flashing this method first?

My question is, has anyone here flashed this and then unlocked the bootloader? HOW???

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

I flashed the stock rooted file here, and the phone is working fine. Its rooted but the bootloader is LOCKED.

I have tried to use Casual to unlock the bootloader, but it keeps telling me i have the wrong bootloader. I tried flashing the basline and still the same error. It seems the cause of my problems may have been flashing this method first?

My question is, has anyone here flashed this and then unlocked the bootloader? HOW???

CONFIRMED. USING THIS FILE (FOR ME!) CAUSED ALL MY PROBLEMS WITH CASUAL/BOOTLOADER UNLOCK!

I had to flash revision3 and then it unlocked flawlessly. FYI guys!

u73992

Jun 2, 2008
Las Vegas
This does not root my phone. I tried it, the toolbox and every other post on here nothing works. Regular verizon note 2. any ideas?
I know what you're thinking "We already have root, why do we want and/or need this?". Well, if you followed the root thread, you would have seen that the package posted was built off of two images. There was the early firmware posting that it was first made from, then a system pull in a rar archive that was used to put the root package on the latest firmware. In the processes, there were issues with permissions and other items missing. The people involved did a great job with what they had, but I don't like hacked up solutions to problems.

So, to fix that, I had a stock system.img for the release firmware. This allowed me to build a fully stock root package with no missing files or incorrect permissions. While it took some time to get this tested and verified working without having the device, I was able to get it. Thanks goes to Adrynalyne, Mibix, and AstainHellBring (and anyone else) from IRC for testing several packages (Freenode, #galaxy-note-2). This is only the start of things to come, and I plan on slowly working on a ROM based on this then. I also made a deodexed version of the same package. Download and flash that if you wish, but it was more to verify that nothing broke in the deodexing process and to get a working base for a custom ROM.

DOWNLOADS
Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

Deodexed Stock Rooted Image
Mirror 1
Mirror 2

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Download one of the above packages for flashing.
  2. Extract the file (7zip works to extract).
  3. Open Odin (download that elsewhere), and put the extracted tar.md5 in the PDA spot
  4. (Re)Boot your phone into download mode and plug it in to your computer
  5. With it recognized in Odin, press start
  6. Once the phone boots up, all should be well. If you notice issues, boot into recovery and wipe data and this should fix the problems.
  7. If you still have issues after wiping the /data and performing a factory reset, please post here.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any ill effects caused to you, your loved ones, you phone, or anything else as a result of flashing this. Do so at your own risk as I won't be held responsible.

---------- Post added 5th January 2013 at 12:39 AM ---------- Previous post was 4th January 2013 at 11:41 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

CONFIRMED. USING THIS FILE (FOR ME!) CAUSED ALL MY PROBLEMS WITH CASUAL/BOOTLOADER UNLOCK!

I had to flash revision3 and then it unlocked flawlessly. FYI guys!
I installed this then tried titanium and it said my device was not rooted???

EVOme

Jun 3, 2010
Flashing this in Odin does not root my phone? I want to flash the deodexed version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I know what you're thinking "We already have root, why do we want and/or need this?". Well, if you followed the root thread, you would have seen that the package posted was built off of two images. There was the early firmware posting that it was first made from, then a system pull in a rar archive that was used to put the root package on the latest firmware. In the processes, there were issues with permissions and other items missing. The people involved did a great job with what they had, but I don't like hacked up solutions to problems.

So, to fix that, I had a stock system.img for the release firmware. This allowed me to build a fully stock root package with no missing files or incorrect permissions. While it took some time to get this tested and verified working without having the device, I was able to get it. Thanks goes to Adrynalyne, Mibix, and AstainHellBring (and anyone else) from IRC for testing several packages (Freenode, #galaxy-note-2). This is only the start of things to come, and I plan on slowly working on a ROM based on this then. I also made a deodexed version of the same package. Download and flash that if you wish, but it was more to verify that nothing broke in the deodexing process and to get a working base for a custom ROM.

DOWNLOADS
    Stock Rooted Image
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

Deodexed Stock Rooted Image
    Mirror 1
    Mirror 2

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Download one of the above packages for flashing.
    2. Extract the file (7zip works to extract).
    3. Open Odin (download that elsewhere), and put the extracted tar.md5 in the PDA spot
    4. (Re)Boot your phone into download mode and plug it in to your computer
    5. With it recognized in Odin, press start
    6. Once the phone boots up, all should be well. If you notice issues, boot into recovery and wipe data and this should fix the problems.
    7. If you still have issues after wiping the /data and performing a factory reset, please post here.

NOTE: I am not responsible for any ill effects caused to you, your loved ones, you phone, or anything else as a result of flashing this. Do so at your own risk as I won't be held responsible.
    What would be the advantage of deodexed version?

It is significantly easier to theme and modify deodexed versions compared to what ships.

Thank you. I ran your droid charge roms. Do u plan on get a note2?

If/when I get enough money, yes. For the moment, I have a few people I know that are testing things for me.

Oh I wasn't sure if it litened it up or sped it up in any way. Would u see any reason to flash this over or in place of the first one I have now? All seems to be working fine.

What happens to all the mods that we have used on our phone, e.g. replacing files. I have changed my status bar and changed it so I can use MW with all apps.

Is this like the other one where are apps are not deleted?

Could yuo explain the advantages of the deoxed version vs. this one?

If you already have root and/or have done other changes to /system, then there isn't a need to flash this. It is meant more for people that haven't yet rooted. If you have only done root, this shouldn't change anything for you. If you have rooted and made other changes (deleting apps/etc.), then it will undo those changes, and possibly force you to factory reset. Nothing has been deleted from either package, just root and busybox being added.

Deodexed v. stock is mainly for ease of modification. After the first boot, there is no speed difference in the two, though you may save a little bit of storage on the stock version. Functionally, they are identical, just that if one was looking to theme or make other changes, it is easier to do on the Deodexed version. I plan on starting a ROM then, maybe with the help of a few people, and this will start with the deodexed version and will get its own thread if it comes.

Just to answer any future questions, if you're already rooted, you don't need this. It was created as a better starting point for anyone that has not yet rooted their phone.
    Nice work Imnuts! are you planning on releasing a rom soon? I like your stock themed roms with some mods.

Yeah, going to try to get something together working with someone else :)

We should donate to Imnuts because I would assume it is difficult to dev without the phone. I don't want to hijack the thread, but let's get the man a phone!
    I can only imagine the DROID Charge without Imnuts as crummy at best.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I can do pretty much everything ROM-wise without a phone, minus testing. While having a device would make it easier, it will just save time really as I wouldn't need to find someone to test for me.

Also, this root package was built from the official firmware and not a dump from a phone.
    I searched the thread for mirror sites because the downloads take around 2.5 hours. I couldn't find any. Is this correct?

I'll get it uploaded to a mirror when I can, but the reason that it is likely slow is due to the number of downloads it's getting. I have had 1100+ downloads and counting of the root package, another 450 of the deodexed root package, 250 downloads of the stock Odin, and another 125 of the straight deodexed files. That is 2.1 TB of bandwidth in less than a week. I didn't think it would be an issue with downloads as I've never had a problem in the past, even with big hits in bandwidth, but the downloads have pretty much been continuous since posted, so I guess it does eventually get affected. You'll just have to live with it until I can get it mirrored.
    Added mirrors to the OP for both packages.