NORDICTRACK ELITE 9500 PRO Treadmill w/ 10" Android Tablet

Search This thread

mikeyman2171

Jul 31, 2010
I may be able to help a bit

I happen to have a recovery usb key that was sent to me by Icon fitness. I will load a copy of it as soon as I can I just have to get to my computer. The tablet on the C2150 does seem to be rooted out of the box (mine was) Maybe some one can figure out how to get netflix to work on landscape mode on this thing.

seh4fredom

Apr 24, 2012
C2150 rooting

Haven't had time to try rooting tablet and side load any apps. This for now seems to be our only option because our tablets arent yet supported by the google play store. Netflix would be great as well, especially in landscape mode while exercising.
Once I have the time and the means to recovery, I'll give rooting a go and side load some apps. The main drive appears to have plenty of room for extra apps but the sd card is about maxed straight from Icon/Nordictrack. Thanks to all in advance!

Update. USB Recovery Keys are 99 dollars with shipping. You may be able to obtain one free from Nordictrack if you are able to convince them that you have an actual problem with your device. I've read several posts stating that folks have had to actually order console replacements because of glitches with the firmware. Don't be surprised if ICON uses that approach before sending you an USB recovery key for free. I just paid the 99 dollars for the peace of mind because hardware issues are rare this day and age. It's mostly firmware that's buggy! Once I've got the USB Recovery Key then I'll get started and post progress etc for other users to follow or not.

Update. I misspoke earlier, the sd card has plenty of storage and the internal drive does not. Now trying some suggested methods to root device. Decided not to wait till jump drive recovery usb key shows up from icon. I'll post findings.

Last edited:

mears

Jan 10, 2012
Does anyone know if the 7" tablet in the C1750 is the same as the 10" tablet (except for screen size).

mikeyman2171

Jul 31, 2010
From what I can tell and from what I got from people who repairs them the tablet is the same for the most part as long as you got one with the capacitive screen. If you got the resistive screen then the hardware in the tablet is different as it is an older rev. I will keep checking to know for sure.

J

jsteelm

I happen to have a recovery usb key that was sent to me by Icon fitness. I will load a copy of it as soon as I can I just have to get to my computer. The tablet on the C2150 does seem to be rooted out of the box (mine was) Maybe some one can figure out how to get netflix to work on landscape mode on this thing.

I got the C2150 and I noticed an su on the device but couldn't seem to execute it. Maybe I did it wrong I dunno. Been working with *nix for many years, but it's possible. I did side load Plex on this thing as I had it from a titanium backup from my old atrix. Seems music plays fine. However when playing a video, only the sound works. No picture. I think this may have to do with me editing my build.prop to be a SGS2 though (which did me no good market wise) I'm hoping your recovery usb will have an original build.prop in it. ;)

Btw... is this a COMPLETE recovery for a C2150 basically to restore the thing to default factory?

Dmtalon

Oct 4, 2007
West Harrison, IN
How can you tell (by asking current owner) if the 9500 has the second generation hardware? is there a set of serial numbers or a model number change? Is the capacitive screen "glass" and the resistive plastic covered (aka like phones)

Last edited:

UOgod619

Feb 13, 2009
NordicTrack Elite 9500 Pro ifit restore files

I upgraded my NordicTrack Elite 9500 Pro using the update firmware option on the machine to find it completely useless... After searching I found the firmware upload for the other model and decided to upload the files I was just sent from Icon for the actual NordicTrack Elite 9500 Pro. Simply download the package found here (ok just found out that i cant put links since this is my first post ever... pretty lame! Anyway here they are without the h t t p or w w w):

rapidshare.com/files/2207485734/NordicTrack_Elite_9500_Pro.rar
(insert world wide web in front of this link)badongo.com/file/27581132

Decompress the volume and place the contents on the root of a USB drive. So you should have two files one the root of your USB drive, they are:
mp10.tgz
ifit-video.tgz

N00dle

Feb 13, 2007
I'm looking at getting a new treadmill and would love to be able to root one of these for Netflix alone. Hmmm. Solid treadmill from the reviews I've seen.

Big_Tom

Jul 15, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have a complete functioning upper unite with the keyboard, monitor etc. sitting here in the Cincinnati, OH area. If anybody locally wants to come and pick it up, send me an email. No, I do not want to ship it, it is bulky, heavy and I do not have the time...

Tom
I'm looking at getting a new treadmill and would love to be able to root one of these for Netflix alone. Hmmm. Solid treadmill from the reviews I've seen.

adsbar

Jul 27, 2006
Stuck in safe mode

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. I have followed the directions and can get my Proform treadmill to boot into safe mode. I have downloaded z4root and a few other apps. I can install them with the included Astro software, but android 2.2 won't let me run them in safe mode. If I reboot without safe mode, it automatically loads ifit and I can't get back to the android home screen. It looks like someone was able to load 3rd party apps. Can someone tell me how?

Alan

stacld87

Feb 7, 2011
knoxville, tn
I used to work in a bikes and fitness department and we had a proform treadmill returned that had a problem with magnetic key. Basically the screen wouldn't turn on because the key asnt getting a connection and we ordered a new display unit from icon. I was the one who replaced the unit and the manager let me keep the old "broken" one so I just took the tablet home in hopes of figuring out a way to power it up. This thread is the first one I have come by since I've had this thing and since then I'm missing a few parts but have the main board and lcd with connectors.

Is there anything I can do with this thing? I need to power it somehow and since the buttons are on the main display unit I would need to somehow figure out how to add buttons.

I don't know if anybody will be able to help but I figured I would ask just in case. If anything can I ditch the mobo and use the lcd for a different use?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda app-developers app

shaunco

Mar 24, 2006
EPIC A35E (elliptical)

This thread has been very useful! I just bought an EPIC A35E (elliptical), which also has the 10" tablet built in. Same story as the Nordictrack treadmill, Froyo 2.2, rapidly pressing the menu (lines) button during boot gets safe mode, side loading works, good times.

On a related (hopefully fun) note, the EPIC A35E is running an SSH server. Unfortunately, the SSH server seems to be setup for certificate based auth (instead of username/password). In safe mode, there is a "Terminal Emulator" app that I might be able to use to swap out the key pair, but I have some digging to do.

Sep 13, 2007
I bought a Freemotion 770 treadmill last week and upon setting it up, I came to realize that I can't access the Android desktop. I called ICON Fitness, (they own Nordic Trac, Freemotion and a plethora of other names), and after the rude customer "service" monkey registers my new machine, I ask her about how I can get to the desktop. She tells me to tap on the "gears" to change what I need to change. I again, tell her I'm trying to access the desktop. She tells me that I need to sign up for an ifit account before I can access the android desktop. :silly:

I start asking her how registering with an ifit account will allow me to get to the desktop. She of course has no clear answer. Again, tell her that I am trying to NOT use ifit and this is why I'm trying to stop it from loading (a little lie, but eh).

Then she tells me to "hit the little globe". I was surprised at how she knew I had a globe on my desk, but I hit it. It flew across the computer desk and I said "ok, I hit the globe, now what?"... silence on her end. I then said "What does the "globe" have to do with the android desktop? That's just the web browser... silence... She then tells me she has to put me on hold.

She comes back a few minutes later and AGAIN, she tries to tell me to "hit the gears if I want to calibrate the incline"... HUH? Once I realized I was getting nowhere, I finally asked her if she was in the retarded section of the call center. I then told her I wanted to speak with a supervisor. She tells me that I would have to call back. I asked her "Why, doesn't the retarded CS section you're in have a supervisor?"

We go a few more rounds and she finally tells me "There is no way to do that". I told her to forget it, I'll just find the info on the Internet. She tells me that she will note the serial number and void the warranty because I told her I was going to modify the treadmill. I told her to go right on ahead, I actually happen to have a good friend who is a Consumer Product attorney in Utah (These clowns are based out of Logan UT). I then bid her a good day and sincerely hoped she would do something to improve her brain cell count because as it stood, it was quite low. It seemed to be less than my 5 brain cells.

Anyways, now I've got it rooted and installed smart task bar. I can now access the Android Desktop through the Smart task bar app. Thanks to the people who suggested the apps.

adsbar - Alan, install the z4root and task bar app mentioned on page 2 while in safe mode. Then, reboot the treadmill and let it load ifit. You will notice a little arrow on the side on the screen. Tap it and viola! you will see your app menu. I haven't played with it much past that aside from verifying root and installing Root Explorer.

Last edited:
Reactions: adsbar

patrickdenis

Nov 9, 2012
Try This :)

To install apps Since you we dont have google play store i went into the browser went to aptoide.com install it And Voila !!! :)
Dont forget to enable Unknow Sources in your settings .

I was able to install pretty much anything via Aptoide :)

No need to hack anything ... just need to use aptoide its been there for a while :)

if you have any question dont hesitate :)

have a good one :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Aqua1ung

dutrow

Nov 28, 2012
NordicTrack Commercial 1750

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. I have followed the directions and can get my Proform treadmill to boot into safe mode. I have downloaded z4root and a few other apps. I can install them with the included Astro software, but android 2.2 won't let me run them in safe mode. If I reboot without safe mode, it automatically loads ifit and I can't get back to the android home screen. It looks like someone was able to load 3rd party apps. Can someone tell me how?

Alan

I have the same issue with my C1750 Model. In safe mode, I can install apps (both ones downloaded and test ones I built) but they will not launch, nor will they show up in the Applications gallery view, nor are they an option as a desktop shortcut. When I manually launch my test app from the Settings>Applications>Manage Applications, I get the warning message "Activity cannot be found." My apps show up in the Dev Tools package browser in /data/app like you would expect.

Aptoide doesn't work since I cannot launch the Aptoide activity. r4 root apk will not launch either. These aren't special cases, none of the apps I install will launch.

model: sec_smdkv210
android version: 2.2
baseband version: unknown
kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@zyuke #70 (Tue Mar 15 14:18:56 CST 2011)
build number: sec_smdky210-eng 2.2 FRF91 eng.android.20110301.153856 test-keys

I'd rather not muck with the ROM since I really don't want my treadmill to stop working.

bradleyw801

Jul 20, 2010
Salt Lake City
I bought a Freemotion 770 treadmill last week and upon setting it up, I came to realize that I can't access the Android desktop. I called ICON Fitness, (they own Nordic Trac, Freemotion and a plethora of other names), and after the rude customer "service" monkey registers my new machine, I ask her about how I can get to the desktop. She tells me to tap on the "gears" to change what I need to change. I again, tell her I'm trying to access the desktop. She tells me that I need to sign up for an ifit account before I can access the android desktop. :silly:

I start asking her how registering with an ifit account will allow me to get to the desktop. She of course has no clear answer. Again, tell her that I am trying to NOT use ifit and this is why I'm trying to stop it from loading (a little lie, but eh).

Then she tells me to "hit the little globe". I was surprised at how she knew I had a globe on my desk, but I hit it. It flew across the computer desk and I said "ok, I hit the globe, now what?"... silence on her end. I then said "What does the "globe" have to do with the android desktop? That's just the web browser... silence... She then tells me she has to put me on hold.

She comes back a few minutes later and AGAIN, she tries to tell me to "hit the gears if I want to calibrate the incline"... HUH? Once I realized I was getting nowhere, I finally asked her if she was in the retarded section of the call center. I then told her I wanted to speak with a supervisor. She tells me that I would have to call back. I asked her "Why, doesn't the retarded CS section you're in have a supervisor?"

We go a few more rounds and she finally tells me "There is no way to do that". I told her to forget it, I'll just find the info on the Internet. She tells me that she will note the serial number and void the warranty because I told her I was going to modify the treadmill. I told her to go right on ahead, I actually happen to have a good friend who is a Consumer Product attorney in Utah (These clowns are based out of Logan UT). I then bid her a good day and sincerely hoped she would do something to improve her brain cell count because as it stood, it was quite low. It seemed to be less than my 5 brain cells.

Anyways, now I've got it rooted and installed smart task bar. I can now access the Android Desktop through the Smart task bar app. Thanks to the people who suggested the apps.

adsbar - Alan, install the z4root and task bar app mentioned on page 2 while in safe mode. Then, reboot the treadmill and let it load ifit. You will notice a little arrow on the side on the screen. Tap it and viola! you will see your app menu. I haven't played with it much past that aside from verifying root and installing Root Explorer.

What a useless story that contributes nothing to the thread, but shows us all that you think you are pretty tough because you can call someone that didn't understand the intricacies of hacking Android a retard. I hope no one ever treats you the same way you treated this person. Let me be the first to say I am not impressed.

dutrow

Nov 28, 2012
Nordictrack C1750

they will not launch, nor will they show up in the Applications gallery view, nor are they an option as a desktop shortcut

Figured it out! The issue is that it wouldn't launch those apps in Safe Mode. I had to install the Smart Taskbar and then run the apps while in standard mode. This enables Aptoide, r4root, Last.FM, Netflix, etc. The only limitation now is storage space! :cowboy:

Note: you can download Smart Taskbar here: papktop.com/tag/smart-taskbar-apk

Last edited:
Reactions: Aqua1ung

dermanj

Dec 2, 2012

Mike,
Thank you for the recovery File. How do you run it to restore the treadmill. I have a Commercial 2150 & the latest update killed my OS. I have the USB key comming from Icon but it wont get to me for a week. I downloded yours & unzipped it to a USB drive & I dont know the steps to re install the software? Can you help? Thank you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So it turns out on the newest ones there's a very easy easy to get into it.

Go to the settings mode, go to maintenance - then in the spot below the options there is a bunch of grey space.

Tap the same spot 10 times.
    Wait 5-7 seconds
    Tap the same spot 10 more times.

It will then pop up that "privileged mode is enabled"

When you enable it, you can drag down from the top and get access to the menu bar and go into android settings. You can also swipe up from the bottom and get to the default apps - it has a browser, camera, ifit admin, and the ifit cardio.

USB debugging was already enabled for me as was unknown sources - I'm not sure if that's because I activated privileged mode or not.

You can pair Bluetooth devices with it from the settings - I think it only works to send OUT sounds - it would be nice if you could connect audio to it via Bluetooth (they added that in the latest models, mind still just has aux in)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Ok, it gets _even better_

after running nmap on my device's IP address, I saw it had 3 ports opened... 5009, 5555, 5000...

On a hunch, I decided to check if 5555 was setup for ADB in tcp mode... turns out it is.

`adb connect #.#.#.#:5555` (where the #'s are the IP address) works like a charm.

then `adb shell` - comes back with a _root shell_

`|root@byt_t_crv2:/ # `

I'm sure 5555 was open before I did the tapping-on-the-window thing, so it looks like these things _ship_ with TCP ADB enabled into a root shell for you.
    Got me a brand new NordicTrack Elliptical Commercial 14.9 (NTEL71517). Followed instructions, installed Smart Taskbar. Big thanks to whomever discovered this hack! Currently looking to tweak some of the built-in workout routines. Looks like they're all hosted on s3.amazonaws.com. I am guessing, however, that they should be downloaded/cached somewhere locally, as I cannot imagine one needs an internet connection to do one's workout. Any idea where these might be hosted locally?

Anyway, thank you all for your pioneering work! Someone should post a quick tutorial in the OP with steps on how to hack this machine. Here's a beginning:
    1. Turn on machine.
    2. Once you see ANDROID appear in the center of the screen, hold the menu button pressed ("the dashes button that is between the home and back buttons on the console") until you see "Unable to load widget" on the screen. This launches safe mode, hence bypasses the loading of the iFit application that steals focus.
    3. Go to settings, and enable side loading.
    4. Launch browser and download Smart Taskbar (or plug in a USB dongle containing the Smart Taskbar apk file to the USB port).
    5. Install Smart Taskbar.
    6. Reboot after installing Smart Taskbar.
    7. Allow normal boot up, no safe mode required. You'll notice the trademark Smart Taskbar arrow on the screen. Launch Smart Taskbar. You're in. Feel free to kill the iFit process to restore Android desktop.
    8. Next: root (how?) + install apps to USB dongle (how?). Someone else, please detail these steps.

Many thanks again!
    Sorry for resurrecting a zombie thread but I just wanted to say thanks.

My brand new X9i incline trainer is a whole lot more fun now. I got the Smart task bar installed. I just got Kindle up and running which was my primary reason for doing this. Next, maybe gapps to get Google music to stream? And maybe Nexflix and Amazon Video so wifey can watch her shows. More tinkering tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

What a useless story that contributes nothing to the thread, but shows us all that you think you are pretty tough because you can call someone that didn't understand the intricacies of hacking Android a retard. I hope no one ever treats you the same way you treated this person. Let me be the first to say I am not impressed.