[GUIDE] No-Wipe Factory Images (Restore from any soft-brick without wiping data)

Search This thread

whiskerz

Nov 5, 2010
This method will work for unrooting correct? If I was going to return my phone back to factory stock. It removes all roms, kernels, overcloking (etc, etc) right? However, I'll have to wipe data myself after the odin flash is complete?

whiskerz

Nov 5, 2010
Alrighty thanks man, it seemed to return my phone back to stock! The only issues I ran into were checking the md5 on windows, and accidentally turning on the phone instead of going into recovery. After I got the "Pass" with ODIN/and the phone booted up I accidentally rebooted my phone when I was supposed to go directly into recovery to wipe data. That shouldn't really matter right? I finally hit the right buttons and did the data wipe:p

inseconds99

Nov 12, 2012
Long Island
www.mobilewars.net
Samsung Custom

I did the reset using your newly posted .tar and I still get a Samsung Custom splash when the phone reboots. Help, I need to return the phone as I am having Bluetooth connectivity issues, they are going to see this and deny the return.

100% stock, no root and no custom recovery is now on the machine yet I still get the Samsung custom splash screen.

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
I did the reset using your newly posted .tar and I still get a Samsung Custom splash when the phone reboots. Help, I need to return the phone as I am having Bluetooth connectivity issues, they are going to see this and deny the return.

100% stock, no root and no custom recovery is now on the machine yet I still get the Samsung custom splash screen.

You may need to do a factory reset to be 100% (usually some leftovers in your data can cause that).

MrDJ

Dec 25, 2003
no nfc

Followed this, back up and running but my isis mobile wallet will not work. When I tap it to pay for something, nothing happens. Tried a wipe, no luck. The app is working like everything is fine

kr4zyc1d

Aug 11, 2009
Awesome thread, super helpful - but I'm having some problems. I was flashing a ROM and it was working fine on the first boot, but when I went to reboot, it would get stuck at the Samsung custom lock screen on boot. No matter how long I left it.

The directed me here after trying a few things and thought this was the answer. I downloaded the materials and pushed the flash with Odin. The device reboots when done, does another loading bar, reboots again and freezes at the custom lock screen. Any thought as to what I can do to fix this? Thanks!

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

Awesome thread, super helpful - but I'm having some problems. I was flashing a ROM and it was working fine on the first boot, but when I went to reboot, it would get stuck at the Samsung custom lock screen on boot. No matter how long I left it.

The directed me here after trying a few things and thought this was the answer. I downloaded the materials and pushed the flash with Odin. The device reboots when done, does another loading bar, reboots again and freezes at the custom lock screen. Any thought as to what I can do to fix this? Thanks!

update: Got Odin to kind of work here, on a whim I checked "Nand Erase All" and it still shows the samsung custom boot, but then passes it, plays the first half of the samsung song, stops, then the verizon screen loads and thats now where it hangs. I have flashed using this method twice with the same results, and have let the verizon page hang out for a few minutes (up to 10, but the device got very very warm). Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 01:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 AM ----------

update: Got Odin to kind of work here, on a whim I checked "Nand Erase All" and it still shows the samsung custom boot, but then passes it, plays the first half of the samsung song, stops, then the verizon screen loads and thats now where it hangs. I have flashed using this method twice with the same results, and have let the verizon page hang out for a few minutes (up to 10, but the device got very very warm). Thoughts?

Turns out I am good to go. Wiped enough times and now I'm all set, thanks for the awesome thread!

Reactions: jmed999

a.demarco

May 4, 2013
Holmdel
is there a guide to do a full factory image including a wipe? i have to send my phone back for insurance on the cracked screen. thanks...

Reactions: bajasur

bajasur

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2012
San Clemente
is there a guide to do a full factory image including a wipe? i have to send my phone back for insurance on the cracked screen. thanks...

+1 . I believe the sextape thread is the full wipe return to stock thread...but the title of the thread is misleading.

Can someone clarify this? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium

hogowner

Jul 13, 2010
NYC #1
+1 . I believe the sextape thread is the full wipe return to stock thread...but the title of the thread is misleading.

Can someone clarify this? Thanks

This will restore it back to stock..but it will not wipe your pics etc......

Sent from my Blazing Fast Galaxy S4

bajasur

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2012
San Clemente
Ok cool. I just know there are several people wondering what to do for an absolute full restore to factory stock for returning the device back to Verizon as if it were never used.
I guess you can just do a factory reset after using this method to accomplish that

Last edited:

a.demarco

May 4, 2013
Holmdel
i am in the process of doing that now, will let you know how it goes.

edit: yup, works perfectly.

Last edited:

BusyPooping

Mar 5, 2009
so my phone is in a bootloop before it even shows the screen. i can access odin, but not anything else. this is my last resort thing before i go to verizon.

Hopefully this will fix my issue for flashing the wrong file.

also, are there mirrors for this? its gonna take me 3 hours to download. i'd be happy to host this on my website

bajasur

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2012
San Clemente
so my phone is in a bootloop before it even shows the screen. i can access odin, but not anything else. this is my last resort thing before i go to verizon.

Hopefully this will fix my issue for flashing the wrong file.

also, are there mirrors for this? its gonna take me 3 hours to download. i'd be happy to host this on my website

Should work perfect for you. Verizon won't do anything for you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No-Wipe Factory Image for Verizon Galaxy S4

(Restore from any soft-brick without wiping data)

tZcIGE4.jpg

Description: This is a guide (based similar to my previous guide for the Verizon Galaxy S III) that will help you flash a 99.9% stock factory image for the Verizon Galaxy S4 overwriting every partition on the device back to stock. The ONLY major change I have made is for your convenience I have modified the factory image to keep all your data/apps/settings and internal storage partition intact. This method should help you restore from any soft-brick that you may encounter without having to wipe your data.

Minor Warning: Please note that if you had any special mods that you had to manually flash before or move on the system partition (like Google Wallet, AOSP 4.2 apps like camera and gallery, etc...) they will be lost as you are overwriting your system partition to factory stock. Please make sure to do the needful with your mods before following this guide (for example resetting the Google Wallet app).

Step 1 - Preparation

1. Download and Install Samsung Official USB Drivers - Link
    2. Download and extract ODIN v3.07 - Link
    3. Download and extract the correct Factory Image below (modified with No-Wipe):

Step 2 - Flashing Factory Image

• Boot phone into ODIN mode (See here for how-to)
    • Flash the Factory Image using ODIN v3.07 ***in PDA section only*** (See here for guide on flashing)
    • You should now be able to boot back to Android and all your data should be intact exactly as it was

Step 3 - Restoring Root (Optional)

Step 4 - Restoring Custom Recovery (VRUAMDK Build only!)

• Make sure you are rooted first
    • For official TWRP Recovery follow the steps in this thread (or download from Goomanager): Link Here
    • For official ClockworkMod Recovery just download ROM Manager app and install from there
    • For CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here
    • For OUDHS Gesture Touch CWM-based Recovery follow the steps in this thread: Link Here

Credits

Credit goes to sextape for providing the original VRUAMDK Stock Firmware (Original Source)
    Credit goes to mrRobinson for assisting to modify cache file (via PM)
    Credit goes to alexcolodner for providing filehosting (via PM)
    Is there a way to flash this via safestrap on stock slot and not have to odin?

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Unfortunately not, this is a full factory image (not just a ROM), it will wipe away Safestrap as well since Safestrap is a mod (not data though like apps and such). You will be able to install Safestrap after rooting it however.
    Spent hours trying to unbrick my phone. If you cannot boot past Samsung or Verizon logo then you have corrupted data. THIS WILL HAPPEN EVEN AFTER restoring with Odin. You need to go into recovery and wipe data/factory reset. I swear I couldn't get into recovery for the life of me, but I was doing it wrong. Volume Up + Home + Power will do it. If you do not also have the home button pressed it will act like its going into recovery but never make it.
    my galaxy s4 is still stuck on the tmobile 4g lte boot screen please help??

this is the Verizon section, is there nothing in the T-Mobile area for this?

This is what I used yesterday. Worked perfectly.

http://droidviews.com/2013/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-samsung-galaxy-s4-gt-i9500-gt-i9505/
    It didn't put me on stock recovery so i was still getting that unlocked bootloader thingie, but I found a stock recovery and it worked like a charm, thanks a lot :)

Ahh I knew I forgot something. Simple fix, I'll get the new one up either tonight or tomorrow. For now you can probably consider it a good thing you don't have to reflash recovery if you're trying to keep data. :good: