Google launcher bug in 4.4.2?

Search This thread

tyler valo

May 6, 2008
After I put 4.4.2 on my tablet i suddenly had icons and folders disappear, the clock widget won't remain in the center and my page with 2 widgets side by side no longer fit. Anyone else seen these bugs?

question.com

Jun 26, 2006
providence, RI
www.twitter.com
Same issue here. Have three folders on the left of the launcher and two on the right. When I add a new folder on the right of the launcher button, it disappears when I reboot same goes for any widgets

Oh and it's not a 4.4.2 issue, it's the latest version of Google search that's causing it. Not affecting my HTC One.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

mousetamer

Jul 12, 2012
Same here. I received my OTA the first day it was out. All ran fine until today. Some apps disappeared from the home screen and GEL was replaced with the standard launcher. After a reboot, GEL was back but the apps were still missing. I added the apps to the home screen again and rebooted. The apps dissapeared again and so did GEL. Seeing how I don't have anything important on the tab, I just reset it and so far all is good.

ConradTDI

Sep 17, 2013
it's not 4.4.2 it's Google Search

Fortunately, I had a fresh backup right before Google Search changed the home screens AND fails to acknowledge "OK, Google" with a beep. The spoken search function still works, but there's no way to know it has engaged unless you're watching the screen.

I suggest you wait a bit with this update.....

Nexus 7 2013, stock, rooted, 4.42 (running well!), TWRP, Xposed, etc.....

lomonic

Jul 27, 2013
Was using GEL when moving from 4.4.1 to 4.4.2 and all was well.

But when i manually upgraded the search to the latest version (per the link below from androidpolice) that introduced some landscape UI changes to fix overlap of searchbar & widgets, almost all my widgets / pages / icons resetted. Not a big fuss and simply a one time re-setup again. OK Google works as it should - no difference though. BUT what i realised was that with a reboot, the 2 icons to the right of the launcher would stay while the 3rd would always go missing. Obviously a bug that needs reporting and fixing. Will search on google support later and report it if it's not been reported before.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...s-and-changes-the-settings-icon-apk-download/

Overall it's all still going good. There's been so many updates lately from Google, it's great to see such a high activity on development, releases and updates in a software.

jhannbernas

Sep 11, 2010
Singapore
hi,

i'm also having the same issue this morning. when I turn on the wifi, my playstore automatically updated all my apps and after the update, my folders, shortcuts, widgets and other home screen was missing. I think it was reset. I'm using the google home (kitkat experience for N7) downloaded from the other site.

I will be following some updates and fix with this thread.

Thanks!

optimi

Aug 13, 2013
I am having similar issues after an update to 4.4.2. But for whatever reason the build still reads as KRT16S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Slinky826

Oct 28, 2012
I just had this happen to me today. Came home, heard my Nexus update a few things automatically, checked my home screen and everything was screwed up, only 5 tiles wide, switched back to default launcher then back to GEL, still a little screwy, but just have to put all my folders back together. Did fix landscape rotation with the search bar in GEL. On 4.4.2.

pkrboo

Aug 23, 2012
Thought I was going mad but reading this make me feel better. I only have five wide icons after 4.4.2 looks like the resolution has changed. Wonder if it is set to nexus 5 res?

Edit: Went back to standard launcher for GEL and it is back to normal. 6 icons wide.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigwillis

Feb 1, 2011
Thought I was going mad but reading this make me feel better. I only have five wide icons after 4.4.2 looks like the resolution has changed. Wonder if it is set to nexus 5 res?

Edit: Went back to standard launcher for GEL and it is back to normal. 6 icons wide.

What do you mean ??? How it's it back to normal now? I had to jump back Google search version.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

pkrboo

Aug 23, 2012
What do you mean ??? How it's it back to normal now? I had to jump back Google search version.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Here is a screen shot with and without using the GEL.

With

e4umezum.jpg

Without

yjeny8ub.jpg

martin707

Jul 5, 2012
Manila
Google search update fixed the rotation issues with GEL!

Men, prepare for the offical GEL release!

Lookatthemonkeys

Sep 9, 2012
Tampa
Same problem here after Google search app update. Also, has anyone else had an issue with the camera icon dissapearing from the homescreen? Since the update issue everytime I keep adding the camera to the launcher bar it will disappear after I lock and unlock my N7...

MobileBritain

Apr 13, 2010
It's not just the camera icon, the sixth icon on that row will eventually disappear regardless of the app it launches. Seems that it is trying to maintain the 5 across grid despite there being space for 6.

optimi

Aug 13, 2013
Confirmed, I had the same issue. Removed the Google Search update and everything is okay again.

datallboy

Feb 7, 2013
This isn't 4.4.2, this is the new Google Search update which added tablet support. It uses 5 apps across instead of 6. If you don't like it, revert back to previous search app version, or use a different launcher to customize it.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There is an update today for google search, but still the layout is still not fixed for N7 device. :(
    its not 4.4.2 its the google search update

prepare for the GEL release ..
    Same problem here after Google search app update. Also, has anyone else had an issue with the camera icon dissapearing from the homescreen? Since the update issue everytime I keep adding the camera to the launcher bar it will disappear after I lock and unlock my N7...

Have the same issue and I found this thread while searching for the issue.

I really don't understand what Google is doing here. It seems Google is too busy collecting money and leave testing to us (users).
    How can they update a piece of software made by them (Google Search) and release it without even testing it on AT LEAST its own Nexus tablets ?!
    It is not a hidden bug that affects "some" users, it is broken by design and one small "eye" test would reveal it.

I've really had enough with all the crap Google is doing from breaking ActiveSync for iOS devices to Youtube mess up and how crappy and cheaply made their devices are.
    Correct. Dropping back Google search does fix the bug. As above, hopefully Google will fix it soon.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app