Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]HTC One Max (T6)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
*Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
*Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
*A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
*Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
*Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
*Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]
  • Download the latest CWM or TWRP recoveries and flash it by using fastboot commands. (It doesn't matter which recovery you use but I personally recommend TWRP.)
  • Once you've done that, reboot into recovery (using the combination in the next question) and flash the SuperSU.zip you already downloaded. Once complete, reboot and you'll be rooted.

*NOTE* Always be sure to double check everything you read and follow the instructions carefully.

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How can I enter bootloader mode & recovery mode?[/SIZE]
o enter bootloader mode make sure your phone is turned off. Turn it back on while holding the 'volume down' button and you will successfully enter bootloader mode.

To enter recovery mode, you will need to enter the bootloader (as detailed above) then use the 'volume down' button to navigate to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to confirm your choice. You'll now be booted into your custom recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: I've just unlocked my bootloader but now my fingerprint sensor doesn't work. What do I do?[/SIZE]
No worries. Check out the following thread to find out how to re-enable the sensor - IMPORTANT: HTC Dev Unlock for Bootloader Disables Fingerprint Sensor

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What is the best ROM/kernel/modem?[/SIZE]
Honestly, there is no "best". It's all based on personal choice. For example; I may like heavily customizing my ROMs whereas you may like it to look at basic as possible. The best thing you can do is to just test out different ROMs/kernels/modems and see which you prefer.
Also, please don't ask which is the best because your post will be deleted as it's against forum rules to ask that question.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: I hear a lot about ADB. What is it?[/SIZE]
Find out everything you need to know by reading the following thread - ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea, especially when flashing a ROM with an updated base, because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Does this phone have good battery life?[/SIZE]
It's impossible to give you a perfect answer because there are so many different aspects which can affect battery life. We all have different apps installed, use our phones for different amounts of time, have different ROMs and kernels installed etc. so we will all experience different results regarding battery life.
Take a look at the Battery Stats Thread to see the usage & average battery life of other forum members.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: I'm not sure whether to get the HTC One/what other phones compare to the One?[/SIZE]
The only person who can make you want the device is you. If you're not sure whether to get this phone, go to your local phone shop which has stock and have a test run of it for yourself. This will give you a good feel as to whether you'll like the One or not.
As phone comparison threads are not allowed in this forum, as detailed here, if you're not sure what device to get and want to compare between your choices, please use the following thread - Device Suggestion Thread

[SIZE=+1]Q10: When will the One Max be S-Off?[/SIZE]
The One is now S-Off. You can obtain S-Off by checking out the following thread - [s-off]Firewater S-Off.
For a guide to help you obtain S-Off, check out the following thread - [GUIDE] S-OFF Your HTC One Max

[SIZE=+1]Q11: I have a custom recovery installed but I can't boot into it.[/SIZE]
Use the command - fastboot erase cache.
You should now be able to boot into recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I don't like Blinkfeed. Can I get rid of it?[/SIZE]
Yes you can.

If you're using JellyBean 4.3+ with Sense 5.5, you can now natively disable BlinkFeed.
To do so, swipe right from BlinkFeed so that you reach the "traditional" Android homescreen. Long press on the screen and you'll see all the screens at the top. Just above those screens is the option "BlinkFeed On". Clicking that will disable BlinkFeed from your device. To enable it, follow the same instructions.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: I have a T-Mobile/AT&T HTC One. Can I flash the ROMs in this forum?[/SIZE]
Yes you can. Any ROM from the One Max forum can be flashed across either of the OEM variants.
As the Sprint variant is a CDMA device, ROMs from this forum may not be compatible with the Sprint variant.

As I currently have no confirmation on this, attempt it at your own risk.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: AROMA installer has crashed/I can't reboot after AROMA crashed. How can I fix it?[/SIZE]
This is not a problem with the ROM you're trying to flash. It's an AROMA problem but luckily there are ways around it so you can get back to happy flashing :)

Reboot, reflash and instead of using the touchscreen use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select an option.

If you're not able to reboot your phone, these solutions should help you do so.

1) Make sure you've held the power button/power button + volume down for around 15-20 seconds and it should replicate a battery pull and reboot your phone.

2) Connect your phone to a PC. Then type the following command into the command windows where ADB is installed - adb reboot recovery

3) If none of these have worked then, unfortunately, you'll simply need to wait until your battery has ran out and reflash again.

4) Another method which has worked for some people (I've personally not tested it as I've not been in that situation), is holding their phone under a bright light and then holding the power button. It should work but if it doesn't, refer to 3).​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How can I change the shortcuts on my lockscreen?[/SIZE]
It's actually really simple. All you have to do is drag an app icon from your app drawer to your dock (either side of the app drawer icon) and then lock your screen to see that it has also been changed there aswell.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Okay guys, I've created this FAQ as I done the same to help those with the M7 and thought I'd do the same over here aswell.
Only post in this thread if you have an addition/improvement for this FAQ!

If you don't have an addition/improvement for this FAQ, then DON'T POST IN HERE! If you do, your post will be deleted on sight.

If you have a question, either ask in the Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting forum by creating your own thread OR ask in the Help Thread which is also stickied in this section. Only ask your question after you've already searched for the answer yourself though.
If any questions or irrelevant posts get made in this thread, just ignore them. I will clean them up when I see them. Replying to such posts won't help the situation in the slightest.

This IS NOT a help thread. This is simply an FAQ so NO questions should be being asked or answered in here.

Cheers,
- KidCarter93

s3o86od

Apr 12, 2013
Dear

first thank you , these answers really important to the new users for HTC

second , i have a question what is \ can i change the source for blinkfeed on my htc Chinese devices to global one . ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=+2]HTC One Max (T6)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread or create your own. Do not use this as a general help thread.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: What's the difference between "Development" and "Original Development"?[/SIZE]
    Here are the rough guidelines as to what should be placed in "Original Development":
    *Official release of highly original and upstream custom ROMs (built from the ground up with significant original development within them).
    *Official releases/development of such original ROMs, perhaps posted by the maintainer or their nominated person.
    *A significant "first" in development for a device. This is something which took considerable time/effort and is generally accepted by developers to be non-trivial.
    *Kernels which are built with beneficial changes that are not simply pulled from other kernels already available.
    *Tools and utilities with a clear purpose, and which are well-made, and useful to users. They should have an element of originality, either in purpose or through significant improvement in the means of operation.
    *Significant port of a ROM from one device to another, giving enhanced features or functionality to the users of the target device.

All other development work goes into "Android Development".​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I root my phone?[/SIZE]
    • Download the latest CWM or TWRP recoveries and flash it by using fastboot commands. (It doesn't matter which recovery you use but I personally recommend TWRP.)
    • Once you've done that, reboot into recovery (using the combination in the next question) and flash the SuperSU.zip you already downloaded. Once complete, reboot and you'll be rooted.

*NOTE* Always be sure to double check everything you read and follow the instructions carefully.

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How can I enter bootloader mode & recovery mode?[/SIZE]
    o enter bootloader mode make sure your phone is turned off. Turn it back on while holding the 'volume down' button and you will successfully enter bootloader mode.

To enter recovery mode, you will need to enter the bootloader (as detailed above) then use the 'volume down' button to navigate to 'RECOVERY'. Press the power button to confirm your choice. You'll now be booted into your custom recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: I've just unlocked my bootloader but now my fingerprint sensor doesn't work. What do I do?[/SIZE]
    No worries. Check out the following thread to find out how to re-enable the sensor - IMPORTANT: HTC Dev Unlock for Bootloader Disables Fingerprint Sensor

[SIZE=+1]Q5: What is the best ROM/kernel/modem?[/SIZE]
    Honestly, there is no "best". It's all based on personal choice. For example; I may like heavily customizing my ROMs whereas you may like it to look at basic as possible. The best thing you can do is to just test out different ROMs/kernels/modems and see which you prefer.
    Also, please don't ask which is the best because your post will be deleted as it's against forum rules to ask that question.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: I hear a lot about ADB. What is it?[/SIZE]
    Find out everything you need to know by reading the following thread - ADB Workshop and Guide for everyone.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Am I required to backup my ROM before flashing anything else?[/SIZE]
    No you're not, but it is definitely a good idea, especially when flashing a ROM with an updated base, because if you don't do a backup and then something goes wrong, it means that you'll lose all your apps, data etc. It just saves a lot of hassle.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: Does this phone have good battery life?[/SIZE]
    It's impossible to give you a perfect answer because there are so many different aspects which can affect battery life. We all have different apps installed, use our phones for different amounts of time, have different ROMs and kernels installed etc. so we will all experience different results regarding battery life.
    Take a look at the Battery Stats Thread to see the usage & average battery life of other forum members.​

[SIZE=+1]Q9: I'm not sure whether to get the HTC One/what other phones compare to the One?[/SIZE]
    The only person who can make you want the device is you. If you're not sure whether to get this phone, go to your local phone shop which has stock and have a test run of it for yourself. This will give you a good feel as to whether you'll like the One or not.
    As phone comparison threads are not allowed in this forum, as detailed here, if you're not sure what device to get and want to compare between your choices, please use the following thread - Device Suggestion Thread

[SIZE=+1]Q10: When will the One Max be S-Off?[/SIZE]
    The One is now S-Off. You can obtain S-Off by checking out the following thread - [s-off]Firewater S-Off.
    For a guide to help you obtain S-Off, check out the following thread - [GUIDE] S-OFF Your HTC One Max

[SIZE=+1]Q11: I have a custom recovery installed but I can't boot into it.[/SIZE]
    Use the command - fastboot erase cache.
    You should now be able to boot into recovery.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: I don't like Blinkfeed. Can I get rid of it?[/SIZE]
    Yes you can.

If you're using JellyBean 4.3+ with Sense 5.5, you can now natively disable BlinkFeed.
    To do so, swipe right from BlinkFeed so that you reach the "traditional" Android homescreen. Long press on the screen and you'll see all the screens at the top. Just above those screens is the option "BlinkFeed On". Clicking that will disable BlinkFeed from your device. To enable it, follow the same instructions.​

[SIZE=+1]Q14: I have a T-Mobile/AT&T HTC One. Can I flash the ROMs in this forum?[/SIZE]
    Yes you can. Any ROM from the One Max forum can be flashed across either of the OEM variants.
    As the Sprint variant is a CDMA device, ROMs from this forum may not be compatible with the Sprint variant.

As I currently have no confirmation on this, attempt it at your own risk.​

[SIZE=+1]Q15: AROMA installer has crashed/I can't reboot after AROMA crashed. How can I fix it?[/SIZE]
    This is not a problem with the ROM you're trying to flash. It's an AROMA problem but luckily there are ways around it so you can get back to happy flashing :)

Reboot, reflash and instead of using the touchscreen use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select an option.

If you're not able to reboot your phone, these solutions should help you do so.

1) Make sure you've held the power button/power button + volume down for around 15-20 seconds and it should replicate a battery pull and reboot your phone.

2) Connect your phone to a PC. Then type the following command into the command windows where ADB is installed - adb reboot recovery

3) If none of these have worked then, unfortunately, you'll simply need to wait until your battery has ran out and reflash again.

4) Another method which has worked for some people (I've personally not tested it as I've not been in that situation), is holding their phone under a bright light and then holding the power button. It should work but if it doesn't, refer to 3).​

[SIZE=+1]Q16: How can I change the shortcuts on my lockscreen?[/SIZE]
    It's actually really simple. All you have to do is drag an app icon from your app drawer to your dock (either side of the app drawer icon) and then lock your screen to see that it has also been changed there aswell.​

*​

This FAQ is part of a Recognized Contributor Group Initiative. Please look for a similar FAQ thread when visiting another device forum.