Xiaomi Mibox (Android TV: Oreo) Can't access videos on external HD

Search This thread

oroboros74

Jan 3, 2013
Mibox3 just received Android TV update to Oreo. MxPlayer now doesn't list files on external storage. No problems though using VLC. Suggestions?

Also, regarding Oreo, any updates on PiP?

Emi68

Jun 29, 2018
Same problem here Updated Mi Box MDZ-16-AB to Oreo and its not working on NTFS or exFAT32 formated USB drives, works fine in FAT32 formated USB drives .

LOG FILE:
E *MX.Directory: Can't open directory '/storage/emulated'. errno=13
E *MX.jni/Files: realpath(/storage/E000A25E00A23C02/MOVIE4-KILLERS[rarbg]) failed. errno=2

sreecalicut

Jun 30, 2018
Kodi also cannot access files. However X-plore app is able to browse through the files in the hard disk.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
@oroboros74 @sreecalicut @teru2botzu @Emi68
The error no 2 in Linux denotes that there is no such file/directory exists.
This problem is basically due to the firmware bug. In our tests, most of the file managers have failed to list the files. Some file manager may only work if you grant the exclusive access to the USB device. They will mount with their own drivers. But, the files will not be accessible for other apps. Only very few apps are working without any special permissions. We will investigate further for the possible workarounds.

Reactions: teru2botzu

oroboros74

Jan 3, 2013
This problem is basically due to the firmware bug. In our tests, most of the file managers have failed to list the files. Some file manager may only work if you grant the exclusive access to the USB device. They will mount with their own drivers. But, the files will not be accessible for other apps. Only very few apps are working without any special permissions. We will investigate further for the possible workarounds.

MXPlayer's main competitor, VLC has figured out how to do this properly with Oreo (VLC also has Oreo's picture-in-picture). For now Mibox users (and other Android TV 8+ users?) can migrate to VLC.

I can confirm X-plore and MiXplorer both work as expected wrt external storage usage.

Hopefully MX Player can catch up to Android O (now that P is coming out)!

Emi68

Jun 29, 2018
I found a workaround to watch the files in MX Player, not a solution but still I can watch my stuff.
I use the ES File Explorer to browse the drive and chose Mx Player as default player, so far it works

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
I found a workaround to watch the files in MX Player, not a solution but still I can watch my stuff.
I use the ES File Explorer to browse the drive and chose Mx Player as default player, so far it works

Even ES file explorer show as blank until or unless you grant the exclusive access to control the USB drive. When you give exclusive access, the drive is mounted using ES's own drivers. Not the system default one. The drive won't be visible to any apps. We will try to escalate this issue with xiaomi team.

yandexsru

Jul 4, 2018
Before update 6 version perfectly saw all hard drives with NTFS. After update 8 version writes"cannot recognize drive". This is a mockery of customers. Nothing more to buy XAOMI!

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
We are investigating further for a possible workaround for this firmware bug. We will try our best to get it resolved at the earliest.

Reactions: Emi68

teru2botzu

Dec 13, 2017
MXPlayer's main competitor, VLC has figured out how to do this properly with Oreo (VLC also has Oreo's picture-in-picture). For now Mibox users (and other Android TV 8+ users?) can migrate to VLC.

I can confirm X-plore and MiXplorer both work as expected wrt external storage usage.

Hopefully MX Player can catch up to Android O (now that P is coming out)!

I don't like VLC user interface, the problem is why VLC can read external storage but MX Player can't do that. Until now I am still used MX Player, I open with File Commander, sorry for my poor English.

Emi68

Jun 29, 2018
Update on this issue

Even ES file explorer show as blank until or unless you grant the exclusive access to control the USB drive. When you give exclusive access, the drive is mounted using ES's own drivers. Not the system default one. The drive won't be visible to any apps. We will try to escalate this issue with xiaomi team.

Update July 6 2018:
The developers of the implementation of the Android TV for the Mi BOX today are working on a new beta and apparently they already fixed the NTFS problem as well as a HDCP 2.2 problem, and they are working on fixing a number of different bugs.

The beta testers group is now closed but, sadly even when the beta where ready the Google Certification takes 1 month minimum

More info:
xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi-box-3-oreo-ota-update-bugs-post-your-bug-issues-here-please.44773/

Reactions: teru2botzu

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011

HeeneyCS

Jul 14, 2018
Well, after trying to debug why Kodi was not recognizing my 5TB Seagate portable HD's for the past 8 hours I am at least happy to have found this thread and hear that Xiaomi has fixed the problem. Not very happy that we have to wait months for Google certification before we can get a fix though.

I currently have 4 MiBox devices that I use as Kodi media centres. The first two I bought in May and they came with Marshmellow and they both worked perfectly. The last two I purchased in July and they came with Oreo pre-installed, but unlike my Nvidia Shield, the Kodi app will not read the HD with all my media content which makes these devices unusable to me. So now I have to return the last 2 Miboxes to Wal-Mart and wait until an update is available for download. Very disappointed that I am not even able to revert back to the Marshmellow version that worked.

I have now learned something about AndroidTV... I thought it was the greatest thing. Now that I see Google has implemented its DRM into AndroidTV by forcing users to re-format their external HD's to secure downloaded content aka preventing you from copying your paid stuff to other devices...I won't be promoting it anymore. When reformatting your external HD it even tells you that you cannot even use it on another device meaning it's impossible to update your media library, same as the Xbox.
@Thirumalai.K - Is there an easy way to get notified when the next update will be available for everyday users?

oroboros74

Jan 3, 2013
Mibox just received an update today which seems to have fixed the external drive problem... Still hoping for PiP support from MxPlayer before the next big thing comes out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @oroboros74 @sreecalicut @teru2botzu @Emi68 @yandexsru
    We have added a workaround for this issue & It will be included in the next update.

---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

[/COLOR @oroboros74 @sreecalicut @teru2botzu @Emi68 @yandexsru
    We have added a workaround for this issue & It will be included in the next update.
    That's great news! Any idea on the timeline for that?

It's already shared with our Private Testers. We will try our best to make it available at the earliest.
    We are investigating further for a possible workaround for this firmware bug. We will try our best to get it resolved at the earliest.
    Update on this issue

Update July 6 2018:
    The developers of the implementation of the Android TV for the Mi BOX today are working on a new beta and apparently they already fixed the NTFS problem as well as a HDCP 2.2 problem, and they are working on fixing a number of different bugs.

The beta testers group is now closed but, sadly even when the beta where ready the Google Certification takes 1 month minimum

More info:
    xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi-box-3-oreo-ota-update-bugs-post-your-bug-issues-here-please.44773/