[Q] Google Voice app alternatives

Search This thread

Theowb4

Oct 22, 2010
Google Voice is an amazing service. I had the GNex on Verizon, and switched to T-Mo with the Nexus 4. When switching, I ported my number to Google Voice, since I loved all the functionality of the service. What I didn't factor in was how atrocious the Google Voice app for Android is. It's super slow, freezes commonly, and ugly. It's hardly usable for sending and receiving SMS messages, and I text a lot, so that's important. I tried the GV Integration app (seen here), and it is nothing but buggy, making my phone unstable and not displaying notifications.

Does anybody have functional alternatives to the Google Voice app? Remember, Google Voice has my phone number now, and I do have to use the service.

Butchr

Apr 22, 2011
Google Pixel 4a
Can't believe you find voice that buggy. I use it almost exclusively for any text I ever send. Have no problem with lag at all unless I am on a less than consistent network. Runs smooth for me every time I ever open it. Can't ever recall a crash. It isn't the prettiest interface granted, but for functionality I don't know of any better. I know all the isheep I know use that whats app. I believe you can get that on our platform. Then you will be just like all the other iclones.

Theowb4

Oct 22, 2010
Can't believe you find voice that buggy. I use it almost exclusively for any text I ever send. Have no problem with lag at all unless I am on a less than consistent network. Runs smooth for me every time I ever open it. Can't ever recall a crash. It isn't the prettiest interface granted, but for functionality I don't know of any better. I know all the isheep I know use that whats app. I believe you can get that on our platform. Then you will be just like all the other iclones.

I wish I could understand what you were saying, but I truly can't. I don't have any crashing, just lagginess using the official Google Voice app, compared to the normal messaging app. Your last two sentences though...I'm lost.

Earthlark

Dec 15, 2008
Kyoto
I agree, Theowb4. I wish there were a good way to integrate GV with the native JB messaging app or that GV would polish their app a little more. It's alright (and not having used it a lot, I haven't really noticed it being too laggy), but I think the JB app is more functional and better looking.

HoochShepherd

Dec 13, 2012
I agree, Theowb4. I wish there were a good way to integrate GV with the native JB messaging app or that GV would polish their app a little more. It's alright (and not having used it a lot, I haven't really noticed it being too laggy), but I think the JB app is more functional and better looking.

Honestly, I had a rom with my sprint phone I couldn't get the sprint voicemail to work with. I eventually got so annoyed at how unpolished GV was that I went back to stock.. LOL Now I'm so bored with stock I'm determined to get my VTT working again.

vcast009

Aug 17, 2012
Houston
I'm currently using Fusion Messenger https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=im.fsn.messenger and it's still in public beta. It's one of the better ones I seen.

Google Voice is an amazing service. I had the GNex on Verizon, and switched to T-Mo with the Nexus 4. When switching, I ported my number to Google Voice, since I loved all the functionality of the service. What I didn't factor in was how atrocious the Google Voice app for Android is. It's super slow, freezes commonly, and ugly. It's hardly usable for sending and receiving SMS messages, and I text a lot, so that's important. I tried the GV Integration app (seen here), and it is nothing but buggy, making my phone unstable and not displaying notifications.

Does anybody have functional alternatives to the Google Voice app? Remember, Google Voice has my phone number now, and I do have to use the service.

blacmack

Oct 29, 2012
San Jose
I'm currently using Fusion Messenger https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=im.fsn.messenger and it's still in public beta. It's one of the better ones I seen.

Agreed. It works better and looks nicer. It comes with a popup reply box and fixes one of my biggest problems with Google Voice by combining all the threads, so you have one thread for each contact. It also grabs all text history, which many apps can't seem to do (read somewhere that it's because Voice doesn't have an API).

vcast009

Aug 17, 2012
Houston
Starting with 7/12 nightlies, the stock messaging app can be configured to send GV messages on CM 10.1

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

tjeerdo112

May 31, 2013
The best thing about google voice is probably that you can call for free (I bet you didnt know that ;) ) just look on youtube for the guy thats called "gigafide" (tinkernut) and than something with google voice ;)

If this helped you please hit thanks :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: mickeycrv

tgelhardt

Feb 26, 2014
I am invested in Google Voice and have problems daily.

Google Voice is an amazing service. I had the GNex on Verizon, and switched to T-Mo with the Nexus 4. When switching, I ported my number to Google Voice, since I loved all the functionality of the service. What I didn't factor in was how atrocious the Google Voice app for Android is. It's super slow, freezes commonly, and ugly. It's hardly usable for sending and receiving SMS messages, and I text a lot, so that's important. I tried ), and it is nothing but buggy, making my phone unstable and not displaying notifications.

I solely use Google Voice and have done so for 3 years now. I have issues with it daily freezing hanging up crashing. I have used it on every phone I've had on 3 different carriers and consistently have the same issue with the app. My number is a Google voice number and I'd really hate to lose that. I've been fed up with the app for at least a year. However, I love the concept and don't really want to change my number.
Another thing I do not understand is why there is Google Voice and Hangouts. Why two separate apps for basically the same service? Even more strange to me is how come there is no GV/Hangouts integration? My phone has an actual number tied to it from Verizon and that number and the default messaging app DOES integrate with Hangouts, but not Google's own SMS/Voice app?
I am a number 1 Google fanboy, they have really, completely dropped the ball with Google Voice.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
I solely use Google Voice and have done so for 3 years now. I have issues with it daily freezing hanging up crashing. I have used it on every phone I've had on 3 different carriers and consistently have the same issue with the app. My number is a Google voice number and I'd really hate to lose that. I've been fed up with the app for at least a year. However, I love the concept and don't really want to change my number.
Another thing I do not understand is why there is Google Voice and Hangouts. Why two separate apps for basically the same service? Even more strange to me is how come there is no GV/Hangouts integration? My phone has an actual number tied to it from Verizon and that number and the default messaging app DOES integrate with Hangouts, but not Google's own SMS/Voice app?
I am a number 1 Google fanboy, they have really, completely dropped the ball with Google Voice.

Weird. I've never had any issues with Google Voice freezing or not working right on any of my phones (I go through a lot) on any update or rom (I am a serial flasher - typically 2-5 roms per week - or when I switched carriers. *shrug* Just one of those things I guess. I agree it would be nice if they integrated it in Hangouts, though it was talked about a few months ago, doesn't seem like it's quite there yet:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...ng-down-all-3rd-party-voice-apps-in-may-2014/

tgelhardt

Feb 26, 2014
Google Voice continues to crash for 4 years now. Various phones, various carriers...

Weird. I've never had any issues with Google Voice freezing or not working right on any of my phones (I go through a lot) on any update or rom (I am a serial flasher - typically 2-5 roms per week - or when I switched carriers. *shrug* Just one of those things I guess. I agree it would be nice if they integrated it in Hangouts, though it was talked about a few months ago, doesn't seem like it's quite there yet:

I don't understand it honestly. In 4 years I've had the Evo 4g, S3, S4, Note 3 and between those phones I've had Sprint, US Cellular and Verizon. The common problem is with the Google Voice app. Whether trying to open the app or go back to the main "text" screen from an opened message or when trying to open a message the app will freeze and most times the screen goes black for up to 2 minutes before it finally craps out and asked me to "Send an error report or close" the app. I could use it for 2, 3, 4 days etc...without problem then for no reason when I do any of those things I have the problem...to this day!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The best thing about google voice is probably that you can call for free (I bet you didnt know that ;) ) just look on youtube for the guy thats called "gigafide" (tinkernut) and than something with google voice ;)

If this helped you please hit thanks :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using xda app-developers app