[Q] Does S5 is affect purple smearing like s4 and note 3

Search This thread

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I messed around with an S5 demo unit in my local O2 shop last weekend and performed a direct comparison between my S4 and the S5 looking for this very thing. There was no smearing at all on the S5, where as it's blatantly obvious on the S4 in comparison.

So no is the answer, which is great news.

Reactions: noideaforusername

sonkycom

May 5, 2013
I messed around with an S5 demo unit in my local O2 shop last weekend and performed a direct comparison between my S4 and the S5 looking for this very thing. There was no smearing at all on the S5, where as it's blatantly obvious on the S4 in comparison.

This problem shows when in low light ambient and display set to minimum
Did you tested in that condition?

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

No, I didn't. But, speaking as someone who has owned an S4 for 12 months, it doesn't just show itself in this environment. As I said, I ran a direct comparison between my S4 and the S5 whilst in the shop with both set to low brightness, and in that particular environment the S4 smearing was obvious and the S5 didn't manifest any at all. So at the very least it is considerably better than the S4 and I'd go so far as to say the issue has been rectified.

Reactions: sonkycom

sonkycom

May 5, 2013
No, I didn't. But, speaking as someone who has owned an S4 for 12 months, it doesn't just show itself in this environment. As I said, I ran a direct comparison between my S4 and the S5 whilst in the shop with both set to low brightness, and in that particular environment the S4 smearing was obvious and the S5 didn't manifest any at all. So at the very least it is considerably better than the S4 and I'd go so far as to say the issue has been rectified.

Thank you so much!!:good:

sonkycom

May 5, 2013
It certainly wasn't noticeable on the S5 I used in the shop. As said above, at the very least it's considerably better than the S4.

Hello, today i bought new s5 and tested in a dark room with video that shows "quick moving black objects" and the result is :
the s4 pink smearing is still affected on s5
the entire screen background is turned from s4 BLACK to s5 BLUE and that can help hide the smearing because no black color is showing(pixel off)
this may result more consumption of battery (i think) .

you can still notice the pink smearing when in dark room set screen bright to lowest, go to Phone Dial and fast pressing on the 3 dot icon (more) on top right under the Contacts icon > PINK PINK!! (because this background is black)

because this is the SUPER AMOPINKLED bring to you by SAMSUNG :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
I believe gsmarena and anandtech both mentioned smearing. Not a big big deal but I wish Samsung would do better.

sent from my sm-9005.

skivnit

May 21, 2012
To each its own, that's like runflat vs regular tires to each pros and cons

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

denski101

Jan 7, 2014
A little something I found that helps greatly reduce the "purple" smearing:
1. Set your screen profile to Pro Photo or Movie(preferred).

& more importantly.

2. Download Lux from the Play store. Enable night mode and set the White Balance to Fluorescent.
ebe8uter.jpg

N9005
Don't thank me, I'm useless.

Last edited:

JmJ17

Dec 16, 2005
Jaen
Yes, it suffers in the same way.

It's a problem related to AMOLED technology. If you use a totally black screen, all points are off. When you move a line in this screen, the points must be switched on and the response time cause the problem.

The only solution is not using a totally black background. Use a DARK one, but not full black. This, for exapmple, is what Samsung have done in the setting screen. Try it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It certainly wasn't noticeable on the S5 I used in the shop. As said above, at the very least it's considerably better than the S4.
    I'd take the S5's SAMOLED with smearing under extreme low light over any competing IPS with backlight bleed at all levels of backlight.