Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com
Installed CWM Recovery (recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.8-m8.img) using Fastboot,
and then installed UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
then took a nandroid backup.
Booted into Android - no problems.

But now :
- when I power down it reboots straight into CWM Recovery.
- when I select the advanced options of CWM Recovery / Power Down,
it reboots into CWM Recovery.
- when I select Fastboot/Power Down it also reboots into CWM Recovery.

From CWM Recovery I can
Boot System Now
and it boots into the system,
But when I power down, it reboots again into CWM Recovery.

ie, I can't power down.

The above only happens if a power or usb cable is connected.
If no power cable is connected, it shuts down normally.
But, if after it is fully shut down, I connect a power cable,
it again boots, by itself, into CWM Recovery !!

Notes:
- A restart from Android does an actual restart into the phone OS, not into CWM Recovery.
- if I turn back on Power/Fastboot, then I can shutdown properly even with power connected,
so the problem happens when Fastboot is off.

Anybody have any idea what is causing this
and what I can do about it?
some things I can think of trying
but I don't want to make things worse.

Have done this before on a Galaxy Nexus with no problems,
and have put CyM on an S3 with no problems.

[previously posted in the wrong forum (M7) moved here.]

Last edited:

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Installed CWM Recovery (recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.8-m8.img) using Fastboot,
and then installed UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.94.zip
then took a nandroid backup.
Booted into Android - no problems.

But now :
- when I power down it reboots straight into CWM Recovery.
- when I select the advanced options of CWM Recovery / Power Down,
it reboots into CWM Recovery.
- when I select Fastboot/Power Down it also reboots into CWM Recovery.

From CWM Recovery I can
Boot System Now
and it boots into the system,
But when I power down, it reboots again into CWM Recovery.

ie, I can't power down.

The above only happens if a power or usb cable is connected.
If no power cable is connected, it shuts down normally.
But, if after it is fully shut down, I connect a power cable,
it again boots, by itself, into CWM Recovery !!

Notes:
- A restart from Android does an actual restart into the phone OS, not into CWM Recovery.
- if I turn back on Power/Fastboot, then I can shutdown properly even with power connected,
so the problem happens when Fastboot is off.

Anybody have any idea what is causing this
and what I can do about it?
some things I can think of trying
but I don't want to make things worse.

Have done this before on a Galaxy Nexus with no problems,
and have put CyM on an S3 with no problems.

[previously posted in the wrong forum (M7) moved here.]

Well I haven't had this happen to me ever so, not sure how much help I'll be but...

Have you tried reflashing CWM? Perhaps clear the cache? Try to flash TWRP and see if it does the same, can always flash CWM again afterwards. :confused::confused:

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com
Well I haven't had this happen to me ever so, not sure how much help I'll be but...

Have you tried reflashing CWM? Perhaps clear the cache? Try to flash TWRP and see if it does the same, can always flash CWM again afterwards. :confused::confused:

Yes, me neither.

My next step was the same as your suggestions,
a system reset, clear cache etc and to try flashing TWRP.

My worry is this powering on to recovery when I plug in the cable.
I was hoping to understand that a bit before trying too many things.
It is easier to make things worse than better!

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Yes, me neither.

Don't think a system reset is necessary just yet. First try to clear the cache and re-flashing CWM to see what it does. If nothing then you can try TWRP to see if it does the same thing.

Have you tried searching for a similar problem in the CWM thread if it's recovery related?

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 AM ----------

Yes, me neither.

I also just noticed the version number for the CWM you're using, are you sure that's the right version? What device variant are you using, International, Verizon etc?

I see only these versions for international

philz_touch_6.25.5-m8.img
philz_touch_6.26.6-m8.img
philz_touch_6.41.6-m8.img
philz_touch_6.43.6-m8.img

Maybe you have wrong version if you use international version.

Download newest one here and reflash. That is IF you use international.
http://goo.im/devs/philz_touch/CWM_Advanced_Edition/m8

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com
Don't think a system reset is necessary just yet. First try to clear the cache and re-flashing CWM to see what it does. If nothing then you can try TWRP to see if it does the same thing.

Have you tried searching for a similar problem in the CWM thread if it's recovery related?

A system reset is no problem. I already did one before starting, and it is new. So no data/apps to lose.

Yes, spent about 6 hours searching last night. Haven't come across anything like it.

Plus, there doesn't seem to be a CWM thread for the HTC One M8 - there are threads for TWRP and Philz (CWM Advanced).

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com
I also just noticed the version number for the CWM you're using, are you sure that's the right version? What device variant are you using, International, Verizon etc?

I'm not using philz, I'm using standard CWM:
http://clockworkmod.com/rommanager
which is the recommendation in the Cyanogenmod instructions:
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_m8

So I think my version of CWM is correct.

Reactions: BerndM14

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Well it seems we're back to square one then, erase cache.

Hook up device to PC, go into fastboot, adb reboot bootloader

fastboot erase cache

If it doesn't work then try another recovery, Philz or TWRP. Did you want to flash CM hence why you followed their tutorial?

Reactions: undecidable

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com
fastboot erase cache
If it doesn't work then try another recovery, Philz or TWRP. Did you want to flash CM hence why you followed their tutorial?
I always read about 20 tutorials first: some are vague, some unreliable, some incomplete, some assume you have more experience, to make sure I fully understand what I have to do.

I chose CWM because I've used it before on a Galaxy Nexus and an S3 and it has been reliable.

I will install Cyanogenmod as soon as it goes to Stable for the M8. I have it on the S3 and am over-the-moon happy with it. However that could be a year.

Might wait a day before I try flashing TWRP. See if I can discover more, or if anyone has an insight to offer. I mean, why would it boot when you plug in the power cable?! Too strange to not be cautious.

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
I always read about 20 tutorials first: some are vague, some unreliable, some incomplete, some assume you have more experience, to make sure I fully understand what I have to do.

I chose CWM because I've used it before on a Galaxy Nexus and an S3 and it has been reliable.

I will install Cyanogenmod as soon as it goes to Stable for the M8. I have it on the S3 and am over-the-moon happy with it. However that could be a year.

Might wait a day before I try flashing TWRP. See if I can discover more, or if anyone has an insight to offer. I mean, why would it boot when you plug in the power cable?! Too strange to not be cautious.

It seems like it's an old issue with CWM though on various devices.

HTC Desire S same problem as you also CWM recovery.
Desire Z same problem also with CWM recovery.
Desire HD same problem ALSO CWM.

Don't know if there is a problem with CWM and HTC devices maybe...Those 3 are all for HTC devices. Though doing a google search you do get the same problem with different manufacturer phones also with CWM :eek:

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com

Don't know if there is a problem with CWM and HTC devices maybe...Those 3 are all for HTC devices. Though doing a google search you do get the same problem with different manufacturer phones also with CWM :eek:

wow! Clearly the issue! And it seems changing recoveries fixes it. Will try in the next hour.

what was the search phrase you used? All I tried returned irrelevent results, though mostly I was using G not XDA.

As my father used to say, your blood is worth bottling (its a compliment).

thankyou!

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
wow! Clearly the issue! And it seems changing recoveries fixes it. Will try in the next hour.

what was the search phrase you used? All I tried returned irrelevent results, though mostly I was using G not XDA.

As my father used to say, your blood is worth bottling (its a compliment).

thankyou!

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=w...+recovery+site:xdaforums.com&biw=1920&bih=979

Tossed in plenty of keywords into google, of course doing it normally gives a lot of results from other sites too but I just decided to narrow it down to xda(Most sites refer help questions to xda anyways so...)

I think it's better to use Google for searches anyways, it records info from a lot of sites. XDA works on a "keyword" basis it seems and most people when making threads don't really add any keywords to it so finding it is difficult. Heck, I even had issues finding HTC__622 in a thread where I knew for a FACT HTC__622 was mentioned at least 4 times, the results in xda itself turned up nothing.

I didn't even bother to try and search within xda for this issues, went the Google route and narrowing it down to xda, much better :good:

Back to the issue though, it would still be interesting to know what actually causes it to boot into recovery when it gets plugged in, it's strange and I'm curious about it. :D I also think flashing either Philz or TWRP should help, there are quite a few people on here using Philz and I can't recall an issue like this being mentioned before so perhaps it's not a problem with Philz.

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com
Back to the issue though, it would still be interesting to know what actually causes it to boot into recovery when it gets plugged in, it's strange and I'm curious about it. :D I also think flashing either Philz or TWRP should help, there are quite a few people on here using Philz and I can't recall an issue like this being mentioned before so perhaps it's not a problem with Philz.

Thanks. I did try an XDA search from G, but you are just better at it ;)

There is code that gets executed when you plug in the power cable:
it shows the battery charging.

The battery charging icon that is showing just before boot into CWM recovery is different from the normal battery charging icon (that I can see when I have settings /power / fastboot on).

I wonder if CWM changes that code? If that is the case, flashing TWRP might not fix it - will soon know.

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com
Flashed TWRP
(openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8.img)
much healthier but not completely normal.

Now, when I power-off,
1. initially this funny black/white battery charging logo appears
with words in red at the bottom like:
This build is for Developement Purposes only
Do not distribute outside of HTC
without HTC Permission...
2. Then the normal green battery icon appears
3. but then the TWRP screen appears and disappears.
4. For about 2 secs the TWRP screen may flash back briefly
before returning to the green battery icon with the backlight.
5. Then it settles on the green battery icon,
and the backlight stays on for about 10 secs.
6. then the screen switches off
and it really appears to be powered off.​

But if I quickly 'touch' the power button
the TWRP screen briefly appears (with a lock over it) once
and then the green battery screen reappears.

If I unplug then replug in power,
the same things happens: steps 1-6 above.

Tried flashing TWRP 3 times - no change.

Will now try flashing philz.

BerndM14

Apr 8, 2014
Flashed TWRP
(openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8.img)
much healthier but not completely normal.

Now, when I power-off,
1. initially this funny black/white battery charging logo appears
with words in red at the bottom like:

2. Then the normal green battery icon appears
3. but then the TWRP screen appears and disappears.
4. For about 2 secs the TWRP screen may flash back briefly
before returning to the green battery icon with the backlight.
5. Then it settles on the green battery icon,
and the backlight stays on for about 10 secs.
6. then the screen switches off
and it really appears to be powered off.​

But if I quickly 'touch' the power button
the TWRP screen briefly appears (with a lock over it) once
and then the green battery screen reappears.

If I unplug then replug in power,
the same things happens: steps 1-6 above.

Tried flashing TWRP 3 times - no change.

Will now try flashing philz.

Well removing the red development purposes text is easy enough if you have S-OFF. Remove Red Text on Splash screen

I'm not sure if the same issue with CWM is applicable to all or most users of Philz on here, like I said before, I haven't noticed any threads popping up discussing the issue, unless they discussed it in Philz thread itself.

I myself haven't noticed the issue you have with TWRP, will look into it more as I get some time, gonna be a hectic week :( Personally I only use custom recovery when I need it, which isn't that often, not a big "flasher" of ROMs etc, so I'm on stock recovery.

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com
Well removing the red development purposes text is easy enough if you have S-OFF. Remove Red Text on Splash screen

I'm not sure if the same issue with CWM is applicable to all or most users of Philz on here, like I said before, I haven't noticed any threads popping up discussing the issue, unless they discussed it in Philz thread itself.

I myself haven't noticed the issue you have with TWRP, will look into it more as I get some time, gonna be a hectic week :( Personally I only use custom recovery when I need it, which isn't that often, not a big "flasher" of ROMs etc, so I'm on stock recovery.

Yes, found the post for Remove Red Text on Splash screen early this morning. Seems to be related to Root, and separate from the TWRP issue.

I have to wonder if the TWRP problems aren't caused by the initial flashing of CWM. Anyway will post the issue on the TWRP forum tomorrow and see what they say.

Seems Philz has had this problem before, it comes from CWM, and fixed it before.

I have to say, this is the last HTC phone I buy - Samsungs are so much friendlier to flashing. Also I greatly dislike the big Tampered sign.

Reason for flashing recovery this time is I wanted root so I could remove garbage from the phone.

I don't flash ROMs much. High learning curve and risky. I do just one flash: from stock to CyangenMod. so much nicer it is worth it. I have to say if I had to choose between my old S3 with CyanogenMod and a stock M8, it would be the S3. If I can't get the garbage off the M8, I will just put it in a drawer till CyM goes stable for it.

undecidable

Aug 14, 2012
Hong Kong
alien-heartbeat.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Solved: Power Down reboots into Recovery

Seems Philz has had this problem before, it comes from CWM, and fixed it before.

The solution! From the Philz M8 thread.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53464839
    An earlier version of Philz: 6.26.6-m8.zip.
    The earlier version doesn't have the problem.

Thanks to @donmarkoni

I'm not using philz, I'm using standard CWM:
    which is the recommendation in the Cyanogenmod instructions:
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_m8

So I think my version of CWM is correct.
    Yeah just linked the same to you now as well. Where did you get that version from then?

Nevermind, I got where you downloaded it from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2708520

So you're on Verizon?

No, I have the international version, and the recovery is from

the last line on the page, labelled M8.

I think it is the official version.

fastboot erase cache