[CLOSED][OFFICIAL XDA][BETA]XDA Feed: The best XDA content made easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
S

sawdoctor

Read again,he does not own that device,and i have no requests here,u have no need to quote me,i have already said what i have to OP. If u are frustated in any way,find another way ,nothing i said is adressed to u,and i am here for long long time,and i know xda rules very good,do not teach me. If u new moderators or whatever wont to delete my posts feel free,but do not quote me without any need for that.

Please don't tell me the rules on xda, if you have any issues then my inbox is always open for you to discuss this but what you posted certainly looked like a demand to me especially with a !! Now lets not derail the thread any more

Regards

Sawdoctor

woodman

Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2012
🌲 France
OnePlus 7T
Hey blk_jack, thanks a lot for this new work, already installed and set up. :)

XDA is about DEVELOPMENT, not about some final products given to the community after a first post. You (we) must start somewhere, alpha/beta, etc. Feed is per device as stated in OP, so choosing at first a popular device is IMHO a good way to get a lot of testers and feedback from members to make the app grows quickly...to implement next devices faster.

So keep up the good work Jeff and thanks again for your valuable contributions. :highfive:

Attachments

• IMG_20170407_222757.png
    IMG_20170407_222757.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,065
Last edited:

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
Just courious how you adding and choose feeds ? you plan to cover all things for op3 or just most recognized devs ?

Any and all of the "best" content should be on Feed. Right now it's manually curated based on popular XDA threads and content that we're made aware of (Jump on telegram and send me your links!). In the coming weeks I'll be building out a system or perhaps an API to let users submit links, and a way for commonly suggested content to automatically get promoted to a queue where it can be tweaked/finalized and then approved or denied. The problem with automated it completely is you potentially lose the human element of getting truly the "best" content to users, but without at least some automation, even if it's primarily just the suggestion of "hot" and active content, it's not feasible to support every device on XDA :)

This app is the closest thing I've made to my ideal experience on XDA for browsing content. Obviously the forum discussions are awesome, but this app should be a no-brainer for anyone using it on a supported device to find out about new or updated things. The entire point, like Labs, is to promote independent Android development -- one device at a time!

Reactions: yarpiin

yarpiin

May 30, 2013
Bangor UK
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Xiaomi Mi 10
Any and all of the "best" content should be on Feed. Right now it's manually curated based on popular XDA threads and content that we're made aware of (Jump on telegram and send me your links!). In the coming weeks I'll be building out a system or perhaps an API to let users submit links, and a way for commonly suggested content to automatically get promoted to a queue where it can be tweaked/finalized and then approved or denied. The problem with automated it completely is you potentially lose the human element of getting truly the "best" content to users, but without at least some automation, even if it's primarily just the suggestion of "hot" and active content, it's not feasible to support every device on XDA :)

This app is the closest thing I've made to my ideal experience on XDA for browsing content. Obviously the forum discussions are awesome, but this app should be a no-brainer for anyone using it on a supported device to find out about new or updated things. The entire point, like Labs, is to promote independent Android development -- one device at a time!
links are in my signature i have stopped OXY kernel for some time but New thread to be opened soon when work will be finished - anyway will drop message onto telegram

Sent from my OnePlus3 using XDA Labs

Reactions: blk_jack

milojoseph

Sep 18, 2012
Brooklyn
I know I'm going to get so much heat for this. But this is such a google move. Creating another app when we have another xda app. Why not combine it.

knpk13

Dec 11, 2015
OnePlus 3
OnePlus 3T
I know I'm going to get so much heat for this. But this is such a google move. Creating another app when we have another xda app. Why not combine it.

I had the same question and I asked the dev. He said that it
might be integrated into labs in the future depending on how it goes. The download manager from the app is supposed to be backported into labs, and perhaps the entire app as well. The reason for keeping it separate according to blk_jack was the cruft from the legacy XDA one code used in labs. I'm assuming it's easier to do an alpha test separately and then perhaps integrate into labs when the time comes.

Reactions: blk_jack

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto

Labs is actually two apps already due to Google Play policy, so it wouldn't be as simple as just adding Feed to that app because it itself is already splintered. Interestingly, 90% of Labs' bugs are due to the forum browser part of the app (which WAS XDA One that we combined into Labs), so often just adding more onto an app can create plenty of issues. Ironically, a lot of users want Labs and the forum browser to be completely separate apps and not combined due to the aforementioned issues and perceived bloat.

Feed is a quite different app from the Labs store and the forum browser. What you're proposing is akin to suggesting Google combine two of their different apps, say Hangouts and Gmail together. The same person could send you an email AND send you a message on hangouts, but that doesn't necessarily mean they should be combined if the user experience and use is different between them.

That said, of course there's crossover because it's still XDA. I'm not against the possibility of adding a Feed section to Labs, but due to the device-specific content and the sheer variety of Labs users (both Play edition and full), it makes more sense to keep them separate at the moment.

Shraman

Sep 11, 2016
I tried to download it from the play store. It says that the app is not compatible with my device. And when I search with the name of "XDA feed" ot doesn't show any app .
I need help.
I have a Micromax A311.

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
I tried to download it from the play store. It says that the app is not compatible with my device. And when I search with the name of "XDA feed" ot doesn't show any app .
I need help.
I have a Micromax A311.

Maybe your device is too old. It's for the OnePlus 3/3T so it targets L & newer. You could try to grab it off of XDA Labs.

Reactions: Shraman

Stele88

Jul 1, 2016
Hey, GREAT idea! STUNNING!
:)
Now where can we vote for other devices? Maybe a voting system would be the most fair way.
Anyway, my CANCRO (Mi3+Mi4) should be one of the top devices, as it is still hugely popular here, and even Lineage OS has supported it from the very start officially. I guess that is a good sign.
Maybe not only a voting system, but also a open roadmap for the next planed devices would compensate all the disappointment of those 99% of users that dont have a 1+ V3.
Just some thoughts..
;)

EMK2000

Jun 23, 2014
I wish on some day there will be a universal XDA Feed app, that allow us to choose the device that we want to read, instead of making separate apps for each different device.

Like the Google news and weather app, that we can choose the country inside the app, but not having separate app for each country.

Reactions: a1_geb

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
I wish on some day there will be a universal XDA Feed app, that allow us to choose the device that we want to read, instead of making separate apps for each different device.

Like the Google news and weather app, that we can choose the country inside the app, but not having separate app for each country.
Yes I think this is ultimately the goal. The group on telegram has discussed a lot of things related to this.

blk_jack

XDA Labs & Feed Dev/RD
Jun 7, 2010
Toronto
An update related to, well, Feed updates. In version 0.22 I added round icons for Nougat devices and Google flagged us as violating the copyright of a little company called XDA Developers.

Yes, they flagged us as violating our own copyright in our own app and we now have to appeal and go through that process in order to have Google let us post updates.

Frustrating to say the least but hey, at least we have our own App store! Updates will be coming out on XDA Labs (and I'll link them here when they come out) and I'll keep everyone updated as to what the deal is with Google. In the future I'll be doing test builds through XDA Labs. I was considering Play for that but at this point I have lost even more faith in them being able to handle simple tasks. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    feature.jpg

Everyone knows what it's like to comb through the forums on a new device to find ROMs, kernels, apps and all the other customizations that come out of the community.

It's a mixed bag! It's satisfying when you do find something that really appeals to you, but it's also frustrating because a forum just simply isn't the best platform to show off a lot of the modifications we use. A lot of great content, be it wallpapers, icon packs, themes or even homescreens get lost in a sea of text lists, acronyms and giant threads :p

So we've come up with a way we think will help better promote, organize and support independent development in our community.

It's called XDA Feed!

Each device is supported by the community! You can contribute links to your favorite ROM, Kernel, Wallpaper, Thread, Homescreen, Icon Pack, Video or Article and help support your device with content.

Features
    • Browse, view, download and share the best content on XDA for your device!
    • Custom built in Download Manager supports resuming cancelled/failed downloads
    • Filter out content you're not interested in
    • Star content you're interested in to look at later
    • Granular notification control: opt out entirely, batch notifications to certain time intervals and specify which content you want to see updates from
    • Dark theme
    • Suggest content for your (and any!) device
    • Leaderboard that shows top contributors!

Contribute!
    Did you know Feed content comes from the community? Find the 'Suggest to Feed' links in the app or visit https://feed.xda-developers.com and suggest a link to see that item show up in Feed!

Interested in being part of the moderation and backend team? Send a PM to @blk_jack and we'll have a chat :)

Download
    Stable builds - [Download from Play]
    Test builds - [Download from Labs]

XDA:DevDB Information
    [OFFICIAL XDA][BETA]XDA Feed: The best XDA content made easy, App for the OnePlus 3

Contributors
    blk_jack

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 0.31
    Beta Release Date: 2018-04-09

Created 2017-04-07
    Last Updated 2018-04-17
    We're just about to launch a universal version of feed for all devices and a way for users and devs to submit and vote on content! Stay tuned for a test build very soon.

Feed was mentioned in the last episode of AAA by XDA writer Steven Zimmerman! If you'd like to vote for Feed go here: http://www.strawpoll.me/13243399

:cool::cowboy:
    Community, contributions and questions

Community chat
    Want to chat with the team or other Feed users? Want to help debug an issue?
    Join us on Telegram in the XDA Feed group!

Help translate!
    Head on over to our page on good ol' CrowdIn to join in the fun!​

FAQ
    Q: Why does this app exist?
    We all know there is a ton of cool stuff you can do to your phone, but navigating the XDA forums to find it all can be a bit daunting. This app is a curated "feed" of all that stuff you wish you knew about, so you don't miss anything.

Q: Wait a sec...why are there multiple versions of Feed?
    This is deprecated and per-device builds will be removed soon. Make sure to grab the all devices version for the latest & quickest updates.

Q: Why not just integrate this into XDA Labs?
    We wanted to separate the functionality of Feed because we have some very cool stuff planned for it. You'll see!

General Limitations
    • Download History only shows items actually downloaded by Feed itself. Due to the Play Store TOS, this means Apps and Icon Packs are linked to and as such won't show up in Download history. We're not opposed to still including those downloads in the history, they just aren't there at the moment.
    0.28.5 is out on Play and Labs. Download links in OP. Thanks to everyone who's helped test beta builds on Labs.
    We're still working on improving the user submission tools so you'll see content you've submitted and voted on approved and in the app in the near future! Thanks for everyone's patience as we figure out how to best manage everything. <3

Changes:
    • [tweak] Landscape feed list
    • [tweak] Pinned alerts instead of navdrawer item
    • [tweak] Suggest to Feed example + help text
    • [tweak] Network connectivity/error messages
    • [tweak] Update translations
    • [tweak] Add Japanese/Portuguese translations
    • [fix] Auth issue repeatedly popping up Login page
    • [fix] Remove low activity device notification
    • [fix] DB migration crash
    • [fix[ Video notifications showing when disabled
    We're live, folks! Anybody familiar with my threads knows the score. If not check out XDA Labs. Debug and testing builds will be up soon!

Be sure to read all the OP posts to reduce duplicate questions! Hope you guys like this app and like I mention in the OP will hopefully be rolling this out to more devices in the near future! <3