Steps to get YOUR Desire HD CHROMED!

Search This thread

mynthix

Aug 21, 2010
Båstad
imag0014xc.jpg
imag0015tl.jpg

The blury parts are just some random fingerprints!

Sandpapers that were used:
1. P220 Untill whole surface is matte.

2. P600 Untill whole surface is matte.

3. P2500 (This one i used a "wet sandpaper") Untill whole surface done and no other deeper scratches from the lower papers.

4. After sandpapering a matte nice surface you use a polish liquid like "Autosol" or as meantioned in the thread "Belgum Alu".
Those are used to polishing the metal to get a "chromed" surface. This is easiest done by using a handdrill having a polish towel.
If not having a handdrill with this set, just use cotton or some else soft material to polish it. Apply and rubb!
Voila!

Stumpzy9 took of is shell and shared his experience with us, thanks!

Ok so if you want to take off the back for chroming purposes or what ever you will need 2 things - 1. A torx t5 screwdriver. I got mine for $4 at Sears. 2. A medium guitar pick.

Ok first, take off the 2 covers and take out the battery,similar card,etc.

Next take the guitar pick and use it to pry up the GPS cover. Take note of the screw in the corner that was hidden under the cover.

Now use the t5 to remove all of the diver screwed around the edge of the phone , there should be 4. Now take out the screw that was hidden by the Gps cover.
You can now remove the body CAREFULLY!!!!

If looking at it from the front make sure you push up and to the left so you don't break a volume button like I did lol.
Now that the back is off, remove the power button, camera lens, speaker grills, and the volume button which is held in by a piece of rubber.
Youre now done. Make sure you don't loose anything and just follow the guide backwards to replace. The pic below shows the spots where all the screws are.

44eeceb3-b0fc-be01.jpg

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

Last edited:

Exous

Mar 5, 2011
Drinking and chroming never works togather man :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA App

mynthix

Aug 21, 2010
Båstad
how did you do that? :D
audiobookman gave you the answer :)
Don't you mean WHY did you do that?
Had so many deep scratches due phone drops.. so did the only right :mad: :)
Thanks! :)
woah it looks so shiny!
It really does!
:(
Thanks! :)
go to the blackboard and write:

"I will never drink and chrome again" 1,000 times.

:mad:
Ur still in school? gnomelolz!
Drinking and chroming never works togather man :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using XDA App
Good i didint then!! :)

io53

Oct 25, 2010
It reminds me of terminator, and I like it ;).

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

xTremePower

I'm on way to make the same thing,

just a little hard to polish near the photo lense, but not hard in all :)

Just ont thing boring me .......

Now my wife will alvays take my phone for use it like a mirror :)
for this I want to try one thing : paint it in Gold color !

When finished I came back for post photos :)

Thanks for your idea man !

PS : the little pins attaching the photo lense are very weak .... to manypulate carefuly

mos33y

Mar 22, 2006
Looks interesting but high res pics would have been better to judge with.
Thanks for sharing.

Silberpfeil3110

Dec 23, 2007
Vienna
I did the same. If you want a real beautiful surface you need very much time and the right tools, but if you are finished you are amazed...

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    imag0014xc.jpg
    imag0015tl.jpg

The blury parts are just some random fingerprints!

Sandpapers that were used:
    1. P220 Untill whole surface is matte.

2. P600 Untill whole surface is matte.

3. P2500 (This one i used a "wet sandpaper") Untill whole surface done and no other deeper scratches from the lower papers.

4. After sandpapering a matte nice surface you use a polish liquid like "Autosol" or as meantioned in the thread "Belgum Alu".
    Those are used to polishing the metal to get a "chromed" surface. This is easiest done by using a handdrill having a polish towel.
    If not having a handdrill with this set, just use cotton or some else soft material to polish it. Apply and rubb!
    Voila!

Stumpzy9 took of is shell and shared his experience with us, thanks!

Ok so if you want to take off the back for chroming purposes or what ever you will need 2 things - 1. A torx t5 screwdriver. I got mine for $4 at Sears. 2. A medium guitar pick.

Ok first, take off the 2 covers and take out the battery,similar card,etc.

Next take the guitar pick and use it to pry up the GPS cover. Take note of the screw in the corner that was hidden under the cover.

Now use the t5 to remove all of the diver screwed around the edge of the phone , there should be 4. Now take out the screw that was hidden by the Gps cover.
    You can now remove the body CAREFULLY!!!!

If looking at it from the front make sure you push up and to the left so you don't break a volume button like I did lol.
    Now that the back is off, remove the power button, camera lens, speaker grills, and the volume button which is held in by a piece of rubber.
    Youre now done. Make sure you don't loose anything and just follow the guide backwards to replace. The pic below shows the spots where all the screws are.

44eeceb3-b0fc-be01.jpg

It's very ugly....
    I've been considering an aged bronze for mine. When I gather what I need and do it, I'll post photos.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App
    I knew ppl did this.. i have my Inspire 4g at the point where the color has been stripped.. began the polishing process and started looking into Rhodium plating... will cost me like $30.00 from this one place but im curious.. aluminum dosent stay polished well... plating seems to be the only permanent solution.. does the paint stay on well?

also i use an otterbox so this prolly seems pointless..
    And now we start to push the boat out.
    As soon as I have the funding I'm gonna have a go at this.
    Anodised blue would be mega, especially if I can keep the brushed effect.
    This little extract from the "hints and tips" section also gave me wood:
    "The caustic soda phase is very critical. A minute or so in the bath is required. Leaving it a bit longer gives a very matte finish to the final aluminium part: Which is a Good Thing"
    Just be careful with that part as it will eventually dissolve the aluminium and could cause the case to be loose fitting.

Step by step home anodising guide

and for convenience here's a link to a ready made anodising kit if you want to buy one or just get a feel for how it should look.

Anyone who's willing to try this, please be very careful. I am merely posting this as a suggestion and an idea that I would like to try. If you have any doubts then don't play with acid. Your pretty looking phone would be useless without your eyes and opposable thumbs.

Good thing is that the kits, dyes, acids etc are all re-useable too so once one is done then I would be happy to help others. Anodising also adds extra protection so it's an all round win really