Jaxbot's Windows Phone 7 Theme - 5/8/10: version 1.15 released!

Search This thread

Jaxbot

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
Edit: For the new version, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=8512590#post8512590
Hello :)
Welcome to my thread for my Windows Phone 7 Theme. The ultimate goal of this theme is to have a fully featured Windows Phone 7 theme that allows many similar functions as the real device.

homescreen.png

To use it, install the cab file below, then click on the icon in the start menu.
To exit, long-tap on the right side of the screen.
Settings is also listed in the long-tap menu.

To lock the device, click on the top of the screen, near the clock.

Current version: 1.15:
Performance greatly increased, lockscreen password, etc.

"Treats"

The real WP7 contains something called "Treats". These are little, fairly useless, but cool features.
Some of the ones included in this theme:
Text icon changes depending on amount of messages. First it is a smile, then a frown, and finally a gasping face.
Bing search background changes depending on the day's image.

Upcoming features

Pictures hub
Office hub
Games hub
Integration with Steam
Appointments tile
Smoother interface

Known issues:
Facebook does not stay logged in
...More later

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEYzUhnmRFk
Download: http://windowsphonehacker.com/wp7s.php

Last edited:

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
See website for full details and screenshots: http://windowsphonehacker.com/wp7s.php

People Hub
- Allows seeing contacts on homescreen
-Favorites list
-List of contacts. Tapping on a blue letter brings up a letter list.
-List of latest friends facebook status

Text tile
-Displays number of new messages
-Changes emoticon based on number of messages

Outlook tile
-Displays number of new mail messages

Phone tile
-Displays number of missed calls

Pictures tile
-Displays pictures, fading in and out new ones
-Takes you to default album viewer

Search
-Displays latest Bing background
-Searches Bing with custom keyboard

See website for full details: http://windowsphonehacker.com/wp7s.php

Last edited:

welki1979

Feb 6, 2008
Reading
Looks and runs nicely on my Blackstone, have noticed a few things though:

- the blue squares shake a lot if you press and hold the screen...not sure if it's intentional but personally I feel the 'vibration' effect isn't too nice to look at.
- when scrolling on the apps screen some program names get broken. For example: 'FreeUpRam' becomes 'FreeUP' and 'pTravelAlarm' becomes 'pTravelAl'. The scrolling motion is also a bit jumpy.
- could not find a way of returning from bing search to the main screen without exiting the app and reloading it.
- pictures tab does not see images on the SD card in \Storage Card\My Documents or \Storage Card\DCIM (it would be nice if it could be set in the settings to look at 2 paths - storage and phone)
- none of my music is listed :( (also stored on storage card).

VERY nice start though! I'll be watching this one! :)

...also for some reason your website just comes up grey on my PC in IE8.

Last edited:

orlandojumpoff

Sep 6, 2007
what are your thoughts on changing the faded black background to pitch black?? I am guessing you're trying to make it look like what's shown in the microsoft demos on that prototype device...? That's probably due to the display on that device though and i'm going to take a wild guess and say MS will make it black like on the zune hd when it's done. Or maybe you have a different reason for it?

julian2596

Jan 12, 2010
www.paypal.com
cool

Hello :)
I have released the BETA version of my Windows Phone 7 Series Theme, and am looking for some feedback :)

wp7s_theme_beta.png

To use it, install the cab file below, then click on the icon in the start menu.
To exit, long-tap on the right side of the screen.
Settings is also listed in the long-tap menu.

To lock the device, click on the top of the screen, near the clock.

Current features:
People hub with recent, all contacts, and a list of contacts Facebook status updates.
Bing search with background changing depending on Bing picture of day.
Live tiles (Javascript based, set a URL in the settings to your own)
Program launcher
Lock screen

Upcoming features:
More hubs (give me ideas!)
Better animations
More social network integration
(Ideas?)

Known issues:
Facebook does not stay logged in
Facebook lags when viewing What's New

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEYzUhnmRFk
Download: http://windowsphonehacker.jaxbot.com/files/wp7s_beta.CAB

going to go try it out its going to look good

vn1minh

Jul 23, 2008
Everett
sites.google.com
are you using windows form control/user control to display items? You can't get any smoother animation with windows form controls, because everytimes the control Location changes, it repaints itself regardless and as you can see it is very resource consuming. You gotta paint individual control for better performance.

But overall, it's looking pretty nice ;)

sbettencourt

Jan 30, 2008
Coimbra
I trie on my ELF P3450 and runs fine but a little bit slower, understand that, older device...

Very nice app... any chance to edit menu ( the right side)???

ohhh...and tell the trick to unlock screen :D i spend about 2 min to find out...looool

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Feedback

I tried this on opal (201mhz processor) qvga screen.

I can tell one thing its just awesome on my device i didnt expected it to be so smoothe (iam comparing this with the preview version) its much smoother just one thing on home screen while scrolling the tiles move with hands thats absolutely smoothe but for some time it leaves a trace of the tile say 1 or 2 seconds if u fix that u can officially say its compatible with qvga.

I expect more pages, more likelyness to original wp7

Casey_boy

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 2, 2010
Hey Jaxbot,

It's getting better - the only that has disappointed me with this build (as opposed to the one I've tested for you) is the animations seem to have got slower rather than faster - especially for the people hub.

I see you have fixed some bugs - some still remain but I will not double report those.

A new one, it's nice to see you've added the contact surname, however, it is now shown underneath the next person's first name (i.e. you've not given it enough space/padding).

The same goes for the program list (the second part of the program name is cut off). good to see it's actually working now - though still not scrollable.

The live tiles still take a long time to animate out/in.

More to come...

Casey

jagan2

Recognized Developer
Jul 8, 2009
Update: In qvga device there is no tile for images.

Plus this homescreen needs kinetic scrolling its a must coz scrolling between the left and right pages is excellent the animation is perfect but scrolling down is little hard so i am saying kinetic scrolling please add in next version.

nurofen

Jan 7, 2007
very nice start.

theres alot of shaking around on the icons, and arent any smooth transitions. btu seeing as this is version 1, im sure that you will refine it in the coming weeks

i look forward to the more refined version. good work and thanks for the download!

jzlchl

May 27, 2009
很漂亮,qvga也可以用,但是提出几个问题:
1. 使用过程中,容易造成崩溃死机。
2. 上下左右滑动,速度很慢。
3. 不支持中文路径。
4. 程序图标不显示。
:d:d

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
- when scrolling on the apps screen some program names get broken. For example: 'FreeUpRam' becomes 'FreeUP' and 'pTravelAlarm' becomes 'pTravelAl'. The scrolling motion is also a bit jumpy.

My guess is they are taking up more room than available, which means the auto-font size is broken. I'll look into it.

- could not find a way of returning from bing search to the main screen without exiting the app and reloading it.
The hardware arrow button on my device works for that, but I'll add a software button for people who don't have one.

- pictures tab does not see images on the SD card in \Storage Card\My Documents or \Storage Card\DCIM (it would be nice if it could be set in the settings to look at 2 paths - storage and phone)
I'll look into it, currently it only allows one picture path.

- none of my music is listed :( (also stored on storage card).
Haven't gotten around to a music+video hub yet, but it's coming. :)

...also for some reason your website just comes up grey on my PC in IE8.

Uh oh. I'll look into that.

Jaxbot

Mar 14, 2009
windowsphonehacker.com
A new one, it's nice to see you've added the contact surname, however, it is now shown underneath the next person's first name (i.e. you've not given it enough space/padding).

The same goes for the program list (the second part of the program name is cut off). good to see it's actually working now - though still not scrollable.

Interesting, and yes I noticed that. The problem is that most testing was on the Device Emulator at QVGA resolution, so the fonts worked perfectly on low res. I'll play with the numbers at get that fixed.

About the speed being lower, I'm confused by that, as not much was added (just fixes from the list you sent me). By chance do you have anything running in the background?
Otherwise, I'm still working on speeding up the animations, expect some changes soon :)

很漂亮,qvga也可以用,但是提出几个问题:
1. 使用过程中,容易造成崩溃死机。
2. 上下左右滑动,速度很慢。
3. 不支持中文路径。
4. 程序图标不显示。
:d:d

I'm under the impression this is an English-only forum, but I'll answer your concerns as best I can.
1:probably takes too much memory.
2:Obviously, since it's QVGA, it runs slow. (since the device is older)
3:I don't know what to say, because .NET CF handles all that.
4:probably due to #3.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts