Get Galaxy Gear working with the HTC M8

Search This thread

mstrblueskys

Aug 27, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Hey Guys,

After some frustration, I can confirm that this method works for connecting the original Galaxy Gear with the HTC One (M8) no problem since it's running Bluetooth 4.0 LE, obviously with the Samsung apps limitations.

1. Download Gear Manager 1.6.111801 (com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk) (if you are on a page with a whole list of apks, don't lose it!)
2. Change extension from .apk to .zip
3. Transfer to your phone
(3.33 Make sure you have a file manager on your phone. I like Astro if you don't have one already)
(3.67 Make sure you have allowed installing from)
4. Open com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.zip
5. Navigate to assets>preInstallApks and install all the APK (there's something like 16 of them)
6. Navigate back to the original folder and rename com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.zip to com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk
7. Install com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk
8. Download Gear Manager 1.7.031004 and put it on the phone (com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.7.031004.apk)
9. Run com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.7.031004.apk
10. If your watch is brand new, you're going to have to update it to the newest software: google it.
11. At this point if your watch is on, your phone should start searching for it, and maybe find it. I rebooted my phone once while it was trying to connect and when I opened up Gear Manager, it requested a sync and boom, synced.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Weather doesn't work as well as s-voice, obviously, nor does the media controller, but the dialer, find my phone, contacts, camera and photo transfer I can confirm are working.

Edit: after a couple of different ideas, I still can't get notifications working on the stock software. If anyone set up a rommed watch, let me know if you have notifications.

Last edited:

peoples_flip

Apr 24, 2011
Toronto
I've tried ATN Manager v1.2.3 for the notifications and it's been a success (I can't read the actual message but the notification is sent to the gear)

Just make sure you go into settings > security > notification access > make sure ATN Manager is check marked

Sent from my unknown using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jbeitel

Jan 26, 2007
In a Galaxy far far away
beitel.us
so i setup my M8 phone just like described in the op, my watch has the latest firmware, i try to sync and it pairs it and then tries to connect but it wont connect. I read some other forums that said you need gear manager stub in /system/app. Is that true? anyone have it? Also when I first launch the software it wants to update a gear manager plugin 1 and something else. Am i suppose to let these update? I am not sure how to get around them. Any help would be great. Thanks guys. Would really love this to work.

jeremy.martinus

Nov 27, 2013
Thanks for this timely thread. I just got my M8 and an eager to connect it to my Gear. Can you please tell me how I can get the gear manager apks you mentioned? My S4 had already been sold.

vickysud

Aug 13, 2008
Hyderabad
Last edited:
Reactions: ahfu25
May 9, 2014
gear works on htc one m8 !

hey guys gear 2 works with my htc except the music control and the weather app, also i cant install samsung apps , does anybody has a solution for this because i want to install watch styler but it doesnt seem to work when its been downloaded from gearfaces.com or any other apk found on the internet

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
This is awesome news, I'm picking up an M8 Wednesday and i really wanted the gear 2 with it.

Sent from my SM-G900F/T/I/M/P/W8 using Tapatalk

@home

Feb 16, 2009
Does Gmail & Whatsapp notifications work?

To answer my own question...no it doesn't waste of time.

Last edited:

sn707

Oct 25, 2007
Oregon
www.sn7.smugmug.com
Thanks to this thread I wanted to give it a shot.

I have a Gear 2 Neo and got it working with my M8 in pretty simple way.

Gear Manger .apk the latest from here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2593066

Install the .apk and run through the setup. It will install a bunch of apks and ask to reset the Gear 2 Neo, but for me its all working great.

I did go into settings on the Gear 2 and check for the watch to be bluetooth visible. Other than that it was a snap.

I have an Factory Unlocked M8 on Att.

Jul 2, 2014
Hopefully this will work. Might have to give it a go with a demo gear at work before purchasing. Thanks for the great guide, and I'll be back if it does/doesn't work for me

swlion

Jul 22, 2014
watchfaces

Thanks to this thread I wanted to give it a shot.

I have a Gear 2 Neo and got it working with my M8 in pretty simple way.

Gear Manger .apk the latest from here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2593066

Install the .apk and run through the setup. It will install a bunch of apks and ask to reset the Gear 2 Neo, but for me its all working great.

I did go into settings on the Gear 2 and check for the watch to be bluetooth visible. Other than that it was a snap.

I have an Factory Unlocked M8 on Att.

Hello, did you manage to change watch faces. i have linked gear with M8, however with watchfaces challenged. please advice.

thanks in advance
swlion

nedbull

Oct 22, 2009
Sion
Xiaomi Mi 10
Is this topic dead? The Gear Manager in the M8 works as in the Samsung? No bugs at all? I don't want to buy a Samsung just because of Galaxy Gear. Now I have a Sony SmartWatch 2 and it works as a charm with my M8... Why Samsung doesn't make the Gear for everyone?!

TecniDC

Feb 15, 2015
Hey Guys,

After some frustration, I can confirm that this method works for connecting the original Galaxy Gear with the HTC One (M8) no problem since it's running Bluetooth 4.0 LE, obviously with the Samsung apps limitations.

1. Download Gear Manager 1.6.111801 (com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk) (if you are on a page with a whole list of apks, don't lose it!)
(3.33 Make sure you have a file manager on your phone. I like Astro if you don't have one already)
5. Navigate to assets>preInstallApks and install all the APK (there's something like 16 of them)
6. Navigate back to the original folder and rename com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.zip to com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.6.111801.apk
8. Download Gear Manager 1.7.031004 and put it on the phone (com.samsung.android.app.watchmanager_1.7.031004.apk)
10. If your watch is brand new, you're going to have to update it to the newest software: google it.
11. At this point if your watch is on, your phone should start searching for it, and maybe find it. I rebooted my phone once while it was trying to connect and when I opened up Gear Manager, it requested a sync and boom, synced.

Weather doesn't work as well as s-voice, obviously, nor does the media controller, but the dialer, find my phone, contacts, camera and photo transfer I can confirm are working.

Edit: after a couple of different ideas, I still can't get notifications working on the stock software. If anyone set up a rommed watch, let me know if you have notifications.

Hi,

mi Htc One M8(lollipop 5.0.1) does not work in my gear 2 neo.

Help and thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey Guys,

Gear fit works with M8

http://9to5google.com/2014/04/12/how-to-use-samsungs-gear-fit-smartwatch-with-other-android-devices/

We have also learned that an initial update of the Gear Fit may be necessary to get this method working. This Gear Fit must be updated with a compatible Samsung device or the Gear Manager app could have trouble connecting with it during the setup process on an unsupported device.
    It doesn't work for Lollipop.. You need to have the latest gear manager but it is not modded and you will have host force close. Although bluetooth connects but as far as settings from gear manager no.... On 4.4.4 I was able to install apps from samsung market too but lollipop is another issue