New and improved Apps to SD(more stable, more powerful, etc) Tutorial

Search This thread

amvella

Jan 15, 2009
Need help

Hi,

I need help, my phone is looping at the android screen after following the instructions. What should I do now? Any help will be good.

This is what i did.
su
mount data
rm /data/app
mkdir /data/app
rm /data/app-private
mkdir /data/app-private
rm /data/dalvik-cache
mkdir /data/dalvik-cache
rm -r /data/data (i tried without the -r and got /data/data is a directory error messsage)
mkdir /data/data

Then I restarted the phone, it started up fine. Then I followed the instruction and rebooted and now its stuck at the android screen and its looping
Thank you

EDIT: Problem Solved. I think there was some problem with my ext2 partition. So I reformatted it and it worked like a charm. Now i have 271 MB.

Great work man.. u rock

Last edited:

kwigybo

Feb 13, 2009
Marcus, just wanted to thank you very much for this app2sd solution.

I've literally tried all other methods in the past three weeks, but none of them have been stable. This one seems to do it for me. Or so it seems so far...

I followed all the instruction and it shows that I have 235MB free in my internal memory (my ext2 partition is 256MB). However, after installing some applications, i mounted my SD card through the G1 and the ext2 partition popped up and only showed the lost and found folder. There was nothing else in there. I thought that your revised script had the apps installed to the SD card by default? Do you think there is something that I missed?

Thanks!

Stryder5

Mar 2, 2009
Texas
Does doing this also move the apps already installed on phone to SD? If not, what further steps need to be taken?

Looking forward to the automated apps solution as well :D

Last edited:

mrmonto

May 7, 2009
question about this method

So does this mean it basically makes the os think there was an increase in the internal memory? I didn't see anything about moving existing apps to sd, just future downloaded apps. And how to move future apps back to internal memory. Did I miss something? Thanks!

isolated_epidemic

Sep 15, 2007
Spokane, WA
How can I know this is working?

So I just started fresh today with a wipe and JFv1.5_ADP1.5. I also freshly formatted my memory card with the necessary ext2 partition at around 485mb. I followed all of your instructions and everything went off without a hitch. I rebooted my phone and it says I have 453mb of system storage space. So far so good, but now I've installed about 30mb of apps and have seen no decrease in the amount of free space. Have I done this right? Is the phone showing me free space on my ext2 partition and my apps are still installing to the phone memory?

andonnguyen

Nov 12, 2008
Thank you!

I haven't ran into any problems as of yet, things seem to be running fluidly. I'll be sure to report any problems I find by tonight. Thank you!

devicey.png

rasturn

Apr 8, 2008
Quick question

I've got everything to work perfectly, great job!! 803M of internal memory and lovin it! i've got a new memory card whats the best way to transfer the data without having to redownload everything. i got a class 6 ready for a speed up.
running JF1.5:confused:

isolated_epidemic

Sep 15, 2007
Spokane, WA
???

Anybody try installing apps and see if the internal memory amount adjusts? Mine still says 453mb which is what it said after setting it up. I've now installed approx. 50mb worth of apps and games and haven't seen the number change at all. Anyone have a solution for this?

andonnguyen

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah, mine is stuck at 1367. I've also found that my wallpaper wouldn't change until I restarted the phone.

david1171

Apr 29, 2009
something strange

I have an app (musical pro) that after doing this the phone refuses to recognize or even download. When i tried to re-download it after uninstalling to see if that helped my phone rebooted itself after downloading the app and refuses to install it. I can download other apps fine. Its just this one that I have noticed so far. Other than that, this method worked perfect for me. I greatly appreciate everything that the developers do to further the phone.

edit: after doing a factory wipe and doing this again it started working perfectly and i got every app to work now. also it no longer reboots my phone after market downloads are initiated. thank you so much.

Last edited:

aloa64

May 7, 2009
My Market apps won't download. Everything worked because I have 834MB free but the market apps won't start downloading. And ideas??:confused:

Did you try reformatting the card and recreating the partitions? That fixed it for me (as well as clearing the cache and data - alt+w in recovery). Although when I was installing a buncha apps, my phone crashed and then it got stuck at the android logo boot screen. I'm debating on whether I want to go back to the symbolic links or to use this method again...

svxdriver

Sep 13, 2006
Phoenix
would it be possible?

I don't know if its possible but I was thinking would it be possible to have the app you are writing to move the apps between internal memory and sd memory to watch for when programs get installed and prompt for the user to decide where to move it to? I was just thinking this would make it convinent to get things to the sdcard during installs..

shinobi_uk

Apr 30, 2008
I've followed the steps from above yet my storage only shows as 50mb and this goes down when i install apps, so i can only assume that it's not working for me, any ideas?

edit - Repeated the process and now it appears to have worked, I must have chimped something up during my 1st attempt.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    umm when i run appstosd it says it formats but then when i push reboot now nothing happens.. also, when i type reboot at the terminal it tells me i dont have permission even tho im already running su