Anyone else with a Huawei S7 tablet here?

Search This thread

grenness

Dec 19, 2008
Oslo
I have had my Huawei S7 Android tablet for a week now, and I'm really longing for some Rom hacks - especially to move apps to SD since it apparently only has room for 128MB of apps according to SystemPanel and I'm getting "low space" notifications all the time and thus can't install updates, Gtalk won't run (I think it's related), etc.

Rooting was really simple, just download and run UniversalAndroot.apk but the next steps I'm a bit uncertain about; finding and installing the right Recovery image, then if I succeed installing some apps2sd solution (Darktremor?) or just some Froyo rom.

Another issue is that the SD card is almost not used for anything, seems like all my apps uses internal memory instead of external, maybe that's a 2.1 thing. I transfered a bunch of .avi movies to my microsd card, but Rockplayer can't find them unless I move them to internal memory.

~Christopher

Last edited:

manfly9884

Sep 15, 2006
Miami
Hi. Just pre-ordered here in the States, hopefully this will ship by the 7th of Nov. One quick question is the screen in your device resistive or capacitive? As for your dilemma with storage I'm sure that soon a solution will be found by someone here.

manfly9884

Sep 15, 2006
Miami
From what I have seeing, the resistive screen is pretty responsive, so this is not a major problem. The small storage space is something that must be addressed if this device is going to last. The archos 7 had this problem in the beggining untill a custom ROM took care of this by doubling the storage size. I think that the HS7 will be fixed in this way first then a2sd might kick in later on.

grenness

Dec 19, 2008
Oslo
Another issue is that the SD card is almost not used for anything, seems like all my apps uses internal memory instead of external, maybe that's a 2.1 thing. I transfered a bunch of .avi movies to my microsd card, but Rockplayer can't find them unless I move them to internal memory.

Fixed.

The internal storage memory in the S7 is called "SDCARD" for some stupid reason (have they just bought a lot of cheap 8GB SD Cards and glued them to the motherboard, not bothering with formatting and giving them a different name like "STORAGE" or "DISK"?).
This apparently confuses several applications.
The name for the external Micro SD card, I found out by using Terminal Emulator, is "SDCARD2", so by specifying to RockPlayer that /this/ is where to look for files (SDCARD2 doesn't show up when browsing the directories, not in RockPlayer, not in Astro File Manager, not in stock Video player...) I am finally able to play .avi files from my MicroSD :)

kevinniven

Jun 30, 2007
Phoenix
Wow

Ok so got mine yesterday at BestBuy and im very impressed with this tablet. Put my tmobile sim card in and works great for data and calls. GPS also works very well.
It would be great to root and put Froyo on this. Screen is very responsive and fit and finish is great. At $299 they have a home run.

pbrauer

Jun 25, 2007
Lexington, SC
Got mine over the weekend along with a Cruz Reader and a Cruz Tablet from Best Buy for comparison. Hands down the Huawei is far superior. The capacitive screen alone is just not enough to overcome the rest of the shortcomings of the Cruz Tablet. The S& screen is the best resistive screen I have used, add in BT and 2.1 and I am happy so far. Now we just need a chef to start cooking....

amberelicious

Oct 10, 2010
Got mine yesterday!

I just picked mine up for Best Buy yesterday and I am still playing with it to make my final decision. But for the most part I am liking it. The screen responsiveness it pretty good not as good and my HTC EVO which is what I am use too but it is far better than what I was expecting. A hugh plus is that it has the Android market and front and rear cameras. The only down side it that there is still not much to choose from as far as apps to use the cameras. I got this device to eliminate carrying my Mac from place to place and still be able to post to decision boards and work on my papers when I'm away from home. So far this device has exceeded my expectations.

What is everyone else feeling about their S7?

amberelicious

Oct 10, 2010
Got mine over the weekend along with a Cruz Reader and a Cruz Tablet from Best Buy for comparison. Hands down the Huawei is far superior. The capacitive screen alone is just not enough to overcome the rest of the shortcomings of the Cruz Tablet. The S& screen is the best resistive screen I have used, add in BT and 2.1 and I am happy so far. Now we just need a chef to start cooking....

Wow, so happy you posted this! I was trying to decide between the S7 and the Cruz Tablet, so happy I got this one instead. I'm happy so far!

Last edited:

cpg716

Feb 6, 2010
We have done an unboxing. Available here: http://www.mytabletlife.com/2010/11/09/huawei-ideos-s7-unboxing/

A review will be coming soon. :)

So far I am impressed with this little tablet. You get a 7 in 3G capable tablet with all the Google Apps (Market, Maps, GMail) for 200 less then the Galaxy Tab.

Two big down faults. It is running 2.1 currently (promised to be upgraded Q1 2011) and it is resistive touch. No I will say its probably one of the better resistive touch screens I have used so its not to bad.

There also may be a storage issue. Even though there is 8GB installed, its not for APPS. You have only around 180MB available with the default apps installed. Hopefully this can be remapped with the next update (or XDA members do some magic)

Battery life might be around 6 hours, 3-4 with 3G on.. Not totally sure yet.

But I am more impressed with this guy then the $399 Veiwsonic GTablet. Out of the box is just a better experience and you get google apps with no hacking.

We will have full review later on at MyTabletLife.com

CPG

gconcepts

Dec 13, 2009
Huawei S7 Android Tablet

Hello All,

I purchased this Tablet a couple of days ago and a little disappointed. I am with T-Mobile and the reception i get on this is only EDGE. Can anyone on T-MO confirm if you are able to get 3G on this? Also, when using Launcherpro or ADW, I am unable to place widgets on the desktop. Anyone experiencing this?

cpg716

Feb 6, 2010
Our review of the Huawei Ideos S7 has been posted. Visit MyTabletLife.com to check it out.

This tablet needs to get in more hands. Huawei has said it will get 2.2 early 2011 but the Snapdragon processor in this baby is begging for it NOW! lol

CPG
MyTabletLife.com

fachex

Jul 26, 2007
Orlando
www.livesilicon.com
got me one

I got one 3 days ago and so far I am very impressed. And yes, it is crying out for froyo. So far I like everything in it. I am using it with Simple Mobile with no problem thou I have not tried the 3G since I use clear for my internet connection. The battery life is even better than my HD2. The only downside are.
1. The front facing Camera it is not fully integrated with the system. Fring does not recognize it so for video conference uses the rear one (pointless). I tried other apps and they don't see it either, they see only one camera. The main camera app does recognize thou. This could get fixed with froyo.
2. I takes quite a bit to get used to a resistive screen after using a capacitor one.
3. Market is restricted, but you can root the tablet and use Market Enabler.
4. No video out (for now) but it does have room for a ...docking station? or some proprietary add ons.
5. The speakers are good and loud, but connected to external speakers is the opposite.
All of these things don't bother me much except for the front facing camera problem.

I can't wait to find a case or something, it looks too nice to drop it or scratch it.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Jun 25, 2007
Lexington, SC
totally agree about the case! I spent 45 minutes at BBY yesterday trying every case they have for e-Readers, etc but nothing was a good fit. The closest I found was a Wenger Swiss Army pouch, but I really want something that will protect it all the time. I know myself well enough to know that a pouch just means I will drop it taking it out.

I am not sure what you mean about Market restrictions though, I haven't run into this on mine, are you sure it is not just an App Version/OS Version problem?

cpg716

Feb 6, 2010
Today I tried SIM card from both T-Mobile and At&T.

At&t- VOICE worked, however could not get any data working on this device. I hope this isnt the case. I am going to try again. CAN ANYONE confirm they tried an AT&T SIM and data didnt work for you also???

T-Mobile- Voice & DATA worked, however it is EDGE ONLY. T-mobile 3G did not work.

This will be the shame if this is the case. The box says 3G, so people will return this for not working. I am hoping the AT&T data problems were a fluke.

CPG
View review of Huawei Ideos S7 at MyTalbetLife.com

shanksv

Feb 21, 2006
AT&T?

I just picked this from Best Buy. Great little device for it's price. I haven't been able to get either voice or data to work on ATT. I see a few people with success with T-Mobile. To the ATT folks here has anyone got it to work, and if so did you have anything special to do?

Thanks in advance.