[Q] 4g data drops often...too often

Search This thread

frunas80

Apr 10, 2011
i have to reboot in order for the 4g data to work again but it only stays on for about a minute and then it stops working again. everything else on the phone works ( text, voice, wifi etc...) I read somewhere that flashing different radios might fix it but im not sure about that. anyone else experience this and have a work around? i am currently on baseband i535VRLG1

Thanks In advance

i called Verizon and they said it may be the sim card thats damaged. if that were the case wouldnt voice and text fail as well?

Last edited:

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
i have to reboot in order for the 4g data to work again but it only stays on for about a minute and then it stops working again. everything else on the phone works ( text, voice, wifi etc...) I read somewhere that flashing different radios might fix it but im not sure about that. anyone else experience this and have a work around? i am currently on baseband i535VRLG1

Thanks In advance

i called Verizon and they said it may be the sim card thats damaged. if that were the case wouldnt voice and text fail as well?

I'm having the same issues recently. I've always gotten a 4G signal at my house (albeit not the strongest one) but lately, my phone will not hold on to the connection. When coming off of wifi, my phone will not acquire a data connection at all most of the time. I can still send/receive texts and calls but there is no 4G or 3G icon, no MMS, and no data. I have to toggle the radios on/off, or change from CDMA/LTE to Global (or GSM) and back, put in airplane mode, or restart.....there is no guarantee any one of those steps will work. Sometimes I have to do it repeatedly until I get my data connection back but it is only temporary.

I'm on the i535VRBMF1 baseband and updated to the ML1 modem to try and resolve but to no avail. I have replaced my sim card (as I initially though that was the issue) but it has not helped either.

The only thing I can think of is that my PRL may have been updated (it is currently 15310) and it's causing issues with the towers in my area.

I just got back from Hawaii and was also in San Diego for a few days and had absolutely no issues. It seems to only be an issue now when I'm at my house which makes me think it is something VZW network related and nothing to do with my phone per say. It's really driving me nuts though.

BTW, I'm in Southern California (Irvine).

frunas80

Apr 10, 2011
I seemed to have fixed the issue by reverting the baseband back to vrlf2. I had to switch from global to 4g/LTE because I vegan to inch roaming charges lol. Verizon credited me and no dropped 4g signal. So I'm happy.

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
I seemed to have fixed the issue by reverting the baseband back to vrlf2. I had to switch from global to 4g/LTE because I vegan to inch roaming charges lol. Verizon credited me and no dropped 4g signal. So I'm happy.

What ROM are you running? I'm just curious what the implications are of running an older baseband (from the ICS days) on a newer ROM/Kernel.

Artimis

Jan 18, 2010
I was finally able to somewhat resolve my issue so I thought I'd post in case anyone else is experiencing something similar.

By using a few different apps and testing techniques, I was finally able to deduce that my issue had to do with EHRDP hand-off with the towers in the immediate vinicity to my house. I'm not sure what VZW did to them lately but it doesn't appear to be a problem in other locations so it seems like the issue is on their end (and not something to do with my phone).

In any case, it seems that when my 4G connection is weak and EHRDP is detected, it is dropping the connection entirely instead of handing if off to 3G (EVDO). The connection is also never transferred back when a 4G signal is detected either until I reset the connection where there is a moderate 4G signal.

Again, this only seems to be an issue when connected to the towers near my house and doesn't occur when traveling abroad.

To fix this, I have disabled EHRDP by doing the following:
1) Open the dialer and type *#97328640#
2) Select "[2] CDMA"
3) Select "[2] Data"
4) Select "[7] eHRPD e/disable"
5) Select "[2] Disable(*)"
6) Reboot the phone

Now my phone switches between EVDO revA. for 3G (using the native protocols) and LTE rather than relying on the broken eHRDP protocols. This workaround will have to suffice until VZW fixes stuff in my area but at least I don't miss MMS messages anymore.

Hope this helps anyone running into similar situations.