New nook color and update for nook touch

Search This thread

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Hello folks,

Right out of the oven: B&N will show on Monday Nov. 7th a new nook color (Engadget, Android Central). Pretty much the same look, size, screen, improved processor and memory, and somewhat lighter.
On Nook touch side, a cheaper nook touch (99 USD), and a new update 1.1 (Engadget). Cheaper and no ads (Amazon anyone?).
Let's wait and see. Lets prepare a touchnooter for 1.1!

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Sweet, I've read that and didn't notice it was multitouch. Pinch to zoom, here we come. Is it rootable???????????

guitar_east

May 18, 2010
Pickering
I have yet to see an Android device NOT get rooted (that people actually want to root).

Multitouch sounds fantastic. I'm hoping they show a much better PDF viewer, similar to the Kobo Touch

TJay99

Feb 15, 2011
On a related note... should we be concerned with what seems to be an automatic update with our rooted NST's? I rooted after v1.01, but I read of a few horror stories of people who rooted, THEN updated, then bricked their Nooks.

Again, should I be concerned? Should I keep wi-fi off during the update period?

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
If you want to be sure, yes keep your wifi off during the update period.

You can block also the OTA updates doing this or this. (It is for the Nook Color but I guess it should work with the Nook Touch)

Or you can also make a backup now so that you can repair your Nook if there is a problem.

zlnook

Aug 23, 2011
Just something weird i noticed. the link on the update page actually says nookcolor v1.0.1.
maybe BN got the link wrong?

rnook

Sep 30, 2011
BE CAREFULL

The link in Barnes and Noble was pointting to a wrong image:
Barnes&Noble Forum
"
BN_AlexG
Administrator

Go to My B&N
Re: Nook Simple Touch Update 1.1 available today (well maybe)!
Options
4 seconds ago

Hey All,

Sorry for the confusion. We'll have the link updated shortly.

Thanks for your patience!

- Alex"

---------- Post added at 08:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

B&N correct the link ! And the name of the correct is: "nook_1_1_uptade.zip".

Dimdamm

Nov 7, 2011
I just tried to run it (with the correct file) on a 1.0.1 rooted nook, but it doesn't work, it go to a loading screen, but only for a few secs, and the nook is still in 1.0.1 version after that.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Installed already, page changing is really faster (good), but no traces of multi-touch. Still have to check battery life. See you in 2 months :) Maybe later today I'll try to root it - or send it to hell!
BTW, has anyone noticed that the cheaper nook STR version doesn't come with a wall charger? Now it is an accessory!!! It can only be charged on a computer!

Last edited:

rnook

Sep 30, 2011
Apeine, have you just installed above the rooted or take it back to the original firmware?

Ok, if you will try to root ...

Last edited:

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
rnook, as my market was messed, last week I went back to unrooted version, then updated to 1.0.1. As the new version came today, I waited for it and installed. But I did the nookrestore thing, the lower two buttons boot, updated to 1.0.1 and now to 1.1.

Reactions: rnook

pkryger

Jan 17, 2011
apeine, how long did it take to update? Mine has been showing 'Installin...' screen for the last hour now. Should I start to worry?

Edit: OK. I needed to 'turn it off' - hold the power button for approx. 10s and then power on again. The installation procedure went pretty smooth then (~2 mins). I cannot see multitouch either :-(

Last edited:

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Guess you should. Once it went into the wallpaper screen, it took no more than 5 minutes to update and get back to work.
Did you get the nook_1_1_update file or the sideload_update? Only the first is correct. The other is for nook color.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello folks,

Right out of the oven: B&N will show on Monday Nov. 7th a new nook color (Engadget, Android Central). Pretty much the same look, size, screen, improved processor and memory, and somewhat lighter.
    On Nook touch side, a cheaper nook touch (99 USD), and a new update 1.1 (Engadget). Cheaper and no ads (Amazon anyone?).
    Let's wait and see. Lets prepare a touchnooter for 1.1!
    With the "Sideload_update.zip" on the desktop, but without time enough to put it into my nook touch rooted! Waiting go home and try ...
    rnook, as my market was messed, last week I went back to unrooted version, then updated to 1.0.1. As the new version came today, I waited for it and installed. But I did the nookrestore thing, the lower two buttons boot, updated to 1.0.1 and now to 1.1.
    Hi l_uka, did you do anything before the manual update? (unrooting, etc)
    nop. Just copy the zip package on /media filesystem

my Nook was rooted with Noogie too, and if it's so easy as you've written, I will give it a try tonight :)
    It was more difficult to root it again as I forgot how exactly it was done ;-)

oh, and a question: is the Market working as it was before?
    well, I've never had market working. I do not use google apps at all.

On the other hand I was able to install Amazon Appstore quite easily. It's not available in my country so I couldn't install anything with correct message :-/