erfanoabdi.github.io
2okPze5.png

Moto G7
Code:
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

Introduction:
This is the Official Lineage OS 16.0 thread for the Motorola Moto G7, codename river.

Join our Moto G7 Development Telegram Group!

How to Install:
Please follow the instructions on our Official LineageOS Wiki page here.
IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2

If you don't follow these instructions, please don't expect support here. We also don't support 3rd party addons (Magisk/XPosed/Dolby/Viper/etc.), so please don't seek support if you use these.

Notes:
  • Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine with SafetyNet patcher modules, though is not supported.)

Download:

XDA:DevDB Information
river-lineageos, ROM for the Moto G7

Contributors
erfanoabdi, SyberHexen
Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2019-11-16
Last Updated 2020-08-09

' . '

Nov 18, 2019
sim card is not working

currently I use
lineage-16.0-20191118-nightly-river version
XT1962-5 (Europe/Global) model
The phone didn't detect sim card.
It is dual sim model but in any slot, didn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nyoutaa

oxxo.andatti

Mar 28, 2017
Redmi Note 10S
Reactions: Nyoutaa

cou94114

May 11, 2014
San Francisco
Nexus 6
Moto G7
I am having issues with installing Lineage OS 16.0 on my G7 (XT1962-1). I'm using the file named lineage-16.0-20191118-nightly-river-signed.zip. I followed the instructions on the https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/river/install page.

My phone's bootloader is unlocked, Developer Options are configured to allow OEM unlocking, and USB debugging. Motorola firmware version PPOS29.114-134-4 from the US Retail channel was installed. I subscribe to Google Fi.

1. I temporarily booted TWRP 3.3.1-2 using the "fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-river.img" command. The file was downloaded from the TWRP URL for River. I pushed the twrp-installer-3.3.1-2-river.zip to the phone using adb and did an install zip procedure. TWRP was installed to both the a and b slots. I rebooted recovery and TWRP 3.3.1-2 launched normally.
2. In TWRP, I formatted data to remove encryption. I then wiped Dalvik/ART cache and system in the Advanced Wipe menu. I rebooted TWRP as per recommendation when formatting the data partition.
<<edit>> I did install the copy-partitions-ab.zip at this point.
3. I used the adb sideload procedure per the Lineage installation instructions for the ROM file referenced above. The installation appeared to complete normally.
4. I restarted adb sideload to install open_gapps-arm64-9.0-micro-20191119.zip which was downloaded from the opengapps.org site.

This is where things go abnormally. The open-gapps installation script starts to run and then ab-ends with error 64. The architecture doesn't match the installation file. The script reports my phone is arm, not arm64. I think we all know that the G7 hardware is arm64. So, I downloaded the open_gapps-arm-9.0-micro-20191119.zip and tried installing. That attempt generated error 70 (insufficient space in the system partition). I ran a df -k command in a terminal window in TWRP and /system is mounted with almost 3GB of space available.

I was very confused at this point, but I decided to try installing Magisk 20.1 using TWRP zip file install procedure. Interestingly, the magisk install script reported the architecture as arm (not arm64) and completed normally.

I tried to reboot the system, but TWRP warned that no OS was installed. I cancelled the reboot and did a power off.

I'm not new to LineageOS installation, I've been running LineageOS on my Nexus 6 for a couple of years. Please review the steps I've done and let me know what I'm screwing up. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ultramanoid

Apr 24, 2011
東京都 Tokyo Metro
I think we all know that the G7 hardware is arm64. So...

Don't have this device yet myself, but to your point, Motorola has been known to put out a 32 build on 64 hardware before, and so the corresponding Lineage build was also 32. The Moto Z Play for instance.

Given your issues, it would be good to have confirmation from the OP as to what is the case with the G7.

' . '

Nov 18, 2019
I am having issues with installing Lineage OS 16.0 on my G7 (XT1962-1). I'm using the file named lineage-16.0-20191118-nightly-river-signed.zip. I followed the instructions on the https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/river/install page.

My phone's bootloader is unlocked, Developer Options are configured to allow OEM unlocking, and USB debugging. Motorola firmware version PPOS29.114-134-4 from the US Retail channel was installed. I subscribe to Google Fi.

1. I temporarily booted TWRP 3.3.1-2 using the "fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-river.img" command. The file was downloaded from the TWRP URL for River. I pushed the twrp-installer-3.3.1-2-river.zip to the phone using adb and did an install zip procedure. TWRP was installed to both the a and b slots. I rebooted recovery and TWRP 3.3.1-2 launched normally.
2. In TWRP, I formatted data to remove encryption. I then wiped Dalvik/ART cache and system in the Advanced Wipe menu. I rebooted TWRP as per recommendation when formatting the data partition.
<<edit>> I did install the copy-partitions-ab.zip at this point.
3. I used the adb sideload procedure per the Lineage installation instructions for the ROM file referenced above. The installation appeared to complete normally.
4. I restarted adb sideload to install open_gapps-arm64-9.0-micro-20191119.zip which was downloaded from the opengapps.org site.

This is where things go abnormally. The open-gapps installation script starts to run and then ab-ends with error 64. The architecture doesn't match the installation file. The script reports my phone is arm, not arm64. I think we all know that the G7 hardware is arm64. So, I downloaded the open_gapps-arm-9.0-micro-20191119.zip and tried installing. That attempt generated error 70 (insufficient space in the system partition). I ran a df -k command in a terminal window in TWRP and /system is mounted with almost 3GB of space available.

I was very confused at this point, but I decided to try installing Magisk 20.1 using TWRP zip file install procedure. Interestingly, the magisk install script reported the architecture as arm (not arm64) and completed normally.

I tried to reboot the system, but TWRP warned that no OS was installed. I cancelled the reboot and did a power off.

I'm not new to LineageOS installation, I've been running LineageOS on my Nexus 6 for a couple of years. Please review the steps I've done and let me know what I'm screwing up. Thanks.

try to roll back stock and install again without install 'copy-partition.zip'. I had same problem but after do that I can install it.

floweredup

Oct 17, 2009
Amazon have an "exclusive" G7 which is dual SIM and cheap for black Friday. I've seen suggestions it ships with bloatware but can be flashed with vendor's standard image. Is this the same as "river" and likely to work with official or unofficial LO 16? It may be the same as the dual sim version mentioned in previous post on this thread?

Slight problem. Im getting an error 70 while installing gapps. And attempting to resize the system partition through twrp does nothing.

This phone has been a pain in the ass with anything like this since I got it. But, I was finally able to get the rom installed and fully booted, But gapps just will not install. Even with Pico, it still says not enough space.
What am i missing? Ive never had a such a problem rooting a phone before I got into motorolas lol

cou94114

May 11, 2014
San Francisco
Nexus 6
Moto G7
Slight problem. Im getting an error 70 while installing gapps. And attempting to resize the system partition through twrp does nothing.

This phone has been a pain in the ass with anything like this since I got it. But, I was finally able to get the rom installed and fully booted, But gapps just will not install. Even with Pico, it still says not enough space.
What am i missing? Ive never had a such a problem rooting a phone before I got into motorolas lol

I had the same issue. It's not the size of the partition, its the order the software is installed and the reboots done during the process. I joined the telegram group for the G7 and found some very helpful information related to the installation of LineageOS 16.0 on the G7. Here are the steps for a clean flash.

Very important - Flash the copy-partitionsAB.zip to replicate the slot A and slot B layout.
- Clean flash:
1) Put the phone in bootloader mode
1.2) Connect phone to PC with a USB cable.
1.3) In a Command prompt window, run "fastboot getvar all".
1.4) Make slot A the active slot "fastboot set_active a".
1.5) Boot TWRP "fastboot boot twrp.img" (use the file name on your PC for the TWRP img file)
1.6) check active slot in Reboot menu - set to A
2) Flash lineage zip
3) Flash twrp installer zip
3.5) Format data while in TWRP.
4) Reboot to bootloader from TWRP.
5) fastboot -w (this will wipe your userdata partition)
6) Reboot to TWRP recovery (it should be installed when you flashed the twrp-installer zip)
6.5) check active slot in Reboot menu - set to A
7) Flash opengapps zip (use the arm64 version)
7.5) Flash magisk zip (optional, only if you want root)
8) Reboot system on slot A

The G7 is my first A/B slot device and I struggled with the configuration. TWRP recovery is part of the boot partition. Installing the lineage zip, then the TWRP installer zip seems to be the required order. Then, rebooting TWRP from the installed image works to install OpenGApps. The active slot is very important, too. Many times during my installation ordeal, I would think that slot a was active, but it was slot b. I installed the copy-partitions zip when we were made aware of no bootloader on slot b a few weeks ago.

Good luck.

reddich

Nov 25, 2019
To install gapps successfully, reboot twrp after installing lineageos:

* fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-river.img
* adb sideload lineage-16.0-20191122-nightly-river-signed.zip
* adb reboot bootloader
* adb sideload open_gapps-arm64-9.0-nano-20191121.zip

In other news: Does NFC work for anyone?

cou94114

May 11, 2014
San Francisco
Nexus 6
Moto G7

* adb reboot bootloader

I don't see a step to flash twrp installer. Do you permanently install twrp in your procedure?

Awesome. Thank you guys. Looks like the main problems I was having are not fastboot -w and not rebooting fully into twrp to flash gapps. After flashing the twrp installer and rebooting, I would get a totally different recovery. I've rooted hundreds of phones, but these a/b phones seems to just be a huge pain in the patooty.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

* adb reboot bootloader

These phones do not have NFC capabilities. :(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    2okPze5.png

Moto G7
    Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Introduction:
    This is the Official Lineage OS 16.0 thread for the Motorola Moto G7, codename river.

Join our Moto G7 Development Telegram Group!

How to Install:
    Please follow the instructions on our Official LineageOS Wiki page here.
    IF YOU ARE COMING FROM STOCK AND WANT TO INSTALL CUSTOM ROMS FOR FIRST TIME, INSTALL "Copy Partitions Zip" FROM POST #2

If you don't follow these instructions, please don't expect support here. We also don't support 3rd party addons (Magisk/XPosed/Dolby/Viper/etc.), so please don't seek support if you use these.

Notes:
    • Official Lineage OS builds will not pass CTS/SafetyNet -- due to the AVB flag's "red" status. (Magisk works fine with SafetyNet patcher modules, though is not supported.)

Download:

XDA:DevDB Information
    river-lineageos, ROM for the Moto G7

Contributors
    erfanoabdi, SyberHexen
    Source Code: https://github.com/LineageOS

ROM OS Version: Android 10
    ROM Kernel: Linux 4.x
    Based On: LineageOS

Version Information

Created 2019-11-16
    Last Updated 2020-08-09
    Copy Partitions Zip
    - courtesy @ @filipepferraz
    Download
    I had the same issue. It's not the size of the partition, its the order the software is installed and the reboots done during the process. I joined the telegram group for the G7 and found some very helpful information related to the installation of LineageOS 16.0 on the G7. Here are the steps for a clean flash.

Very important - Flash the copy-partitionsAB.zip to replicate the slot A and slot B layout.
    - Clean flash:
    1.5) Boot TWRP "fastboot boot twrp.img" (use the file name on your PC for the TWRP img file)
    2) Flash lineage zip
    6) Reboot to TWRP recovery (it should be installed when you flashed the twrp-installer zip)

The G7 is my first A/B slot device and I struggled with the configuration. TWRP recovery is part of the boot partition. Installing the lineage zip, then the TWRP installer zip seems to be the required order. Then, rebooting TWRP from the installed image works to install OpenGApps. The active slot is very important, too. Many times during my installation ordeal, I would think that slot a was active, but it was slot b. I installed the copy-partitions zip when we were made aware of no bootloader on slot b a few weeks ago.

Good luck.

I flashed mine in almost the same way. So far loving LOS 16 w/ pico gapps

Coming from stock it is automatically on slot A. Slot B on my device is blank because I clean flashed motos latest firmware.
    Format data in TWRP
    Wipe /system, /data, & cache (not internal storage)

2) Flash lineage zip
    6) Reboot to recovery (TWRP will load on slot B automatically)
    Slot automatically changes to B on reboot (B was set to active during LOS install; slot A is set to inactive so it doesn't boot anymore)
    fastboot -w
    I left out root this time.
    Boot system (no slot choice B is the only active slot).

My only gripe is that updates through the LOS updater menu take like 30 minutes. They finish fine but half an hour is that normal?
    Hello,

I have received this week my new phone : Moto G7 (river) (xt1962-5)
    And, as a lot of people here, it took me a lot of tries and error messages to manage to just install LineageOS 16.0 + Gapps.
    The LineageOS official procedure never worked for me.
    Here are my learnings :

My phone came with the stock OS (build PPO29.80-29) on slot A.
    It automatically installed a Motorola OTA update (build PPO29.80-66) on slot B.
    So at that point both slots were populated. (This is a pre-requirement)
    Then I unlocked the bootloader.
    The slot B is the one I wanted to install LineageOS because this is the slot with the most up to date secondary partitions (like /vendor /radio)

Here is the only procedure I could repeat without any bugs/error messages :
    * Boot to bootloader
    * "fastboot --set-active=a"
    * "fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-river.img" (temporay boot of TWRP on slot A)
    * format /data
    * Reboot to bootloader
    * "fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-river.img" (temporay boot of TWRP on slot A)
    * Wipe /data /cache /system (will apply automatically to slot B)
    * "adb sideload lineage-16.0-20200207-nightly-river-signed.zip" (will apply automatically to slot B)
    * Reboot to recovery slot B (LineageOS recovery)
    * Install update : "adb sideload open_gapps-arm64-9.0-pico-20200207.zip" (will apply automatically to slot B)
    * Stay inside the LineageOS recovery and do a factory reset
    * Reboot
    * Enjoy

The only thing I missed is that I was not able to do a backup of the stock ROM, so I will not be able to update secondary partitions (like /vendor /radio) in the future.