Unlock Bootloader from HTCDEV.COM (Updated)

Search This thread

nightwings

Aug 8, 2010
Dallas, TX
You can now unlock your rezound's bootloader at http://htcdev.com/.

Just follow the steps on htcdev.com, and at the last step you will have a factory reset. So, please make sure you do a backup before attempting this unlock trick. (Thanks to NilsP for pointing this out)

Bootloader unlock will grant perm root and possibility of flashing customized roms.

Note: S-on remains

BE AWARE:

bootloader unlock will VOID your rezound's WARRANTY, I am not responsible for any damage it may cause :eek:

[INSTRUCTIONS]:

[Prerequisites:]
HTC Sync (Windows Only)
HTC Super Tool
Enable USB Debug on Rezound
Use Charge Only mode when connected to PC
Exit HTC Sync on PC

[Steps:]
1. Go to HTCDEV website: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
2. Click on "Begin Unlock Bootloader" (create a user if you don't have one)
3. Use HTC Super Tool in the [Prerequisites] to generate your token. (Or, alternatively, follow the instructions step 1 through step 10 on htcdev.com)
4. In step 10, when posting your token, make sure you remove the blanks preceding each line
5. After you receive your Unlock_code.bin in email, follow step 11.
6. Now your rezound should reboot and you have your bootloader unlocked.

Now you are unlocked. You can follow the following threads to obtain perm root, flash recovery, flash new kernel, and overclock.
[Guide] You are Unlocked. Now What?
[GUIDE] Super-noob guide to unlocking, rooting, and flashing Ziggys kernel

7. After unlocking your bootloader, use this one to get perm root:
One Click Perm Root (Thanks to NilsP)

8. Flash the recovery if you need.
[Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor
[Recovery]ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4

scrosler kindly provides a tool to flash the recovery or boot img.
You can find it here

9. Flash Deodexed ROMs:
Clean ROM 1.0 from scrosler
RezROM v1.0 Beta from lllboredlll

Questions about flashing ROMs:
Possibility of flashing ROMs (Thanks to scrosler)

To uninstall the bloatware, try ROM Toolbox

Last edited:

jdmba

Aug 20, 2007
Umm

WOW ... how exactly do you do this, and more importantly, can it be re-locked if you need to do a warranty exchange?

Last edited:

kidwolf908

Oct 17, 2009
Sooo.....

What's the deal here? We got a free pass from HTCDev?

Now we have perm root and can flash roms from stock recovery?!?

MrSmith317

Jun 18, 2010
Philadelphia
And it worked. I am now "UnLocked"

And factory reset. Forgot about that

So someone should be able to decompile the .bin it's passing to us and get us fully unlocked right..?? At least now we should be able to come up with some ROMS as is and full root...!!

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Sooo.....

What's the deal here? We got a free pass from HTCDev?

Now we have perm root and can flash roms from stock recovery?!?

Slow your roll....All we have is the ability to write to the system partition if I understand the "unlock" properly. S-ON still prevents rewriting the recovery partition. But perm root, yes.

Last edited:

kidwolf908

Oct 17, 2009
So someone should be able to decompile the .bin it's passing to us and get us fully unlocked right..?? At least now we should be able to come up with some 2nd init ROMS as is and full root...!!

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Slow your roll....All we have is the ability to write to the system partition if I understand the "unlock" properly. S-ON still prevents rewriting the recovery partition. But perm root, yes.

I mean I admit I'm excited, but I didn't say anything about CWM or a new recovery. Notice I said flashing roms from stock recovery, which is what this unlock should allow, correct?

MrSmith317

Jun 18, 2010
Philadelphia
I mean I admit I'm excited, but I didn't say anything about CWM or a new recovery. Notice I said flashing roms from stock recovery, which is what this unlock should allow, correct?

Touche..you caught me. I jumped the gun not you. Yes. We should be able to flash from stock recovery.

PS, thank nightwings for posting this!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kidwolf908

zwolf4444

Sep 28, 2010
If I do this, does it mean that I won't be able to return my phone if I want to? (I'm still within the worry free guarantee)

MrSmith317

Jun 18, 2010
Philadelphia
Where do u create the backup?

I'm living on a yellow submarine

You need an app like Titanium backup(which requires root), there are others but Titanium does a pretty complete job.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

If I do this, does it mean that I won't be able to return my phone if I want to? (I'm still within the worry free guarantee)

If you read the warning on htcdev.com it says that unlocking your phone may void certain warranty conditions. Usually if you need to return it you just put your phone back to stock or smash it on the curb and take the $50 hit in insurance ;-)

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
So someone should be able to decompile the .bin it's passing to us and get us fully unlocked right..?? At least now we should be able to come up with some ROMS as is and full root...!!

That's not correct. You *CAN* flash a recovery partition and then flash ROM's.

I even wrote a tool for the Evo 3D that will flash recovery for you. I will port it over tonight... Next step... Find a recovery, lol

Tachi91

Oct 15, 2008
Subartic - Americana
I put my token and removed the extra space (left Side) and got the email... Is there anything i should save and uploade???

I got the " Unlock_code.nin " but the email says its only for this perticular device

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can now unlock your rezound's bootloader at http://htcdev.com/.

Just follow the steps on htcdev.com, and at the last step you will have a factory reset. So, please make sure you do a backup before attempting this unlock trick. (Thanks to NilsP for pointing this out)

Bootloader unlock will grant perm root and possibility of flashing customized roms.

Note: S-on remains

BE AWARE:

bootloader unlock will VOID your rezound's WARRANTY, I am not responsible for any damage it may cause :eek:

[INSTRUCTIONS]:

[Prerequisites:]
    HTC Sync (Windows Only)
    HTC Super Tool
    Enable USB Debug on Rezound
    Use Charge Only mode when connected to PC
    Exit HTC Sync on PC

[Steps:]
    1. Go to HTCDEV website: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
    2. Click on "Begin Unlock Bootloader" (create a user if you don't have one)
    3. Use HTC Super Tool in the [Prerequisites] to generate your token. (Or, alternatively, follow the instructions step 1 through step 10 on htcdev.com)
    4. In step 10, when posting your token, make sure you remove the blanks preceding each line
    5. After you receive your Unlock_code.bin in email, follow step 11.
    6. Now your rezound should reboot and you have your bootloader unlocked.

Now you are unlocked. You can follow the following threads to obtain perm root, flash recovery, flash new kernel, and overclock.
    [Guide] You are Unlocked. Now What?
    [GUIDE] Super-noob guide to unlocking, rooting, and flashing Ziggys kernel

7. After unlocking your bootloader, use this one to get perm root:
    One Click Perm Root (Thanks to NilsP)

8. Flash the recovery if you need.
    [Recovery] Amon Ra style vigor
    [Recovery]ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4

scrosler kindly provides a tool to flash the recovery or boot img.
    You can find it here

9. Flash Deodexed ROMs:
    Clean ROM 1.0 from scrosler
    RezROM v1.0 Beta from lllboredlll

Questions about flashing ROMs:
    Possibility of flashing ROMs (Thanks to scrosler)

To uninstall the bloatware, try ROM Toolbox
    So, which root method is the best to use once we are freshly unlocked and returned to factory defaults?
    This one works good.

I think the ones we have on here now for "Temp Root" do it a little different file locations and confuses the phone.
    I think the folder is my problem. Everything else was nice and smooth. Where do I create this file? I don't have the 3 files . I was able to install the SDK package. But don't k.ow where to find the 3 files.
    Sent from my Rezound

For everyone that doesn't have/know how to work with the Android SDK, I've taken the files you need and added them to this zip file. It contains:
    ADB.exe
    AdbWinApi.dll
    AdbWinUSBApi.dll
    Fastboot.exe

This is all you will need to get unlocked...enjoy
    Were are the recoveries when we need them :D

here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1339679

1. place the recovery.img (extracted from the zip) file in your c:\android folder (or whatever directory you used to unlock the bootloader)

2. boot into fastboot, go to a command prompt (just like you did for bootloader unlock)

3. use this command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

I ran this and now have AmonRa on my Rezound....finally!!!!
    Epic!

What about that AmonRa image?

I'm hopeful there will be a TWRP2.0 or CWM image made for the Vigor now.

Are you guys using HTC Super tool to perm root now?

Should work.

I thought S-ON locked the recovery partition but I'll take your word for it. Amon-Ra is already up and running on developer Rezounds. So let's rock this puppy.

No, You can still flash recovery, system, data and boot. Nothing else. And you have to flash boot and reocvery using fastboot.

I should so a Q/A thread on this. I have been through it all with the Evo 3D. I will put up something tonight that helps everyone get where they need to be. At work now :mad:

Rock it? Oh yeah! You can count on this!

So, am I correct in stating that this will allow us to do everything but Flash Radios & Kernels (or is it just Radios)?

Radios, hboots, some other partitions you shouldnt be messing with.

So would we be able to flash kernels?

Yes.